Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: I have a preference for por arriba.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to Tomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomas

You "changed it to E7" but no one actually resolves to an E7 in a solea. They resolve to an E chord.

I am looking at the Oscar Herrero/ Claude Worms book on Solea. Page 12 Resolution to E7b9-Manolo Sanlucar.

p13 E b9(7th implied and included in melodic line) Quique Paredes.

P13 as above Nino De Pura

P14 E7b9 Marote

P23 Paco resolution E7b9

Seventh chord is used all the time for resolutions and as often as not with a flat nine.

If you prefer the sound of an E triad that's fine. But you can extend this chord pretty much as you see fit within the scale and the 7th(d)and b9th(f) are used all the time.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 11:18:43

Tomas

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

quote:

You "changed it to E7" but no one actually resolves to an E7 in a solea. They resolve to an E chord.

I am looking at the Oscar Herrero/ Claude Worms book on Solea. Page 12 Resolution to E7b9-Manolo Sanlucar.

p13 E b9(7th implied and included in melodic line) Quique Paredes.

P13 as above Nino De Pura

P14 E7b9 Marote

P23 Paco resolution E7b9

Seventh chord is used all the time for resolutions and as often as not with a flat nine.

If you prefer the sound of an E triad that's fine. But you can extend this chord pretty much as you see fit within the scale and the 7th(d)and b9th(f) are used all the time.

D.

Interesting. Any particular examples of a resolution to a straight E7, not an E7b9? I don't have a guitar in my hands to try it, but I can't help but think it would sounds strange (at least to my ears).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 11:38:07

guitarbuddha

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to Tomas

quote:

Interesting. Any particular examples of a resolution to a straight E7, not an E7b9? I don't have a guitar in my hands to try it, but I can't help but think it would sounds strange (at least to my ears).

Well Tomas it is less common. In the Hererro book I had to get to P70 before seeing it in another Manolo Sanlucar falseta.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to use a plain seventh. But if you want a 'crunchy' sound the F is so easy to play that it seems a shame to miss it out.

On a related note one of my favourite devices is one of Vicente's of substituting CMaj7 for E to add a great new colour to Solea (Am G F/Fm CMaj7), real wistful.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 11:47:24

guitarbuddha

Ok so I like to use every chance I get to recommend Ted Greene.

This is all great but he starts talking about keys at around 38 mins.

It isn't even remotely specific to flamenco, but he goes way beyond the dogma of harmony textbooks . And I find him sweet entertaining and very musical.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 11:59:38

KMMI77

quote:

On a related note one of my favourite devices is one of Vicente's of substituting CMaj7 for E to add a great new colour to Solea.

I also like hearing the open e string over the C chord. example...

--0---1----0--------
--1---0----0--------
--2---0----0--------
--0---3----2--------
--3---5----3--------
--2---3----0--------

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 12:16:44

guitarbuddha

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

quote:

On a related note one of my favourite devices is one of Vicente's of substituting CMaj7 for E to add a great new colour to Solea.

I also like hearing the open e string over the C chord. example...

--0---1----0--------
--1---0----0--------
--2---1----5--------
--0---0----2--------
--3---2----3--------
--2---1----0--------

Nice !

For that II V I (D9/F# G7 C/E)

I would spell the G13b9/F (root implied) (low to high) F B D Ab B E (just move whole lot down a fret and then for the resolution E C G C B E.

Try it, kinda nice the way you get the open B sustained and resolving to C in the correct octave that way and the voice leading with the pedal D for the two five part.

D.

PS (sorry but I've never taken the time to work out how to do tab)

PPS Just worked it out copy yours and tinker with it !

--0---0----0--------
--1---0----0--------
--2---1----5--------
--0---0----5--------
--3---2----3--------
--2---1----0--------
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 12:27:01

krichards

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to El Burdo

quote:

I thought I'd volunteer some help to Kevin in terms of the harmony going on.

I appreciate your efforts to help me, but actually, this is all getting way too technical for me.

quote:

just tell them you are playing "por Arriba"!

if they don't know what that is it's the flamenco "key" of E Phrygian with E major home chord (ie. the music returns, or resolves, to E major).

it's not C major or A minor. If it was the "home" or tonic chord would be C maj or A min and the music would return/resolve to that chord.

it's not written down, ie. flamenco composers don't (or only very rarely in a few cases) "write" their music. When it is written down it is written without sharps or flats, but that still does not mean it is in C major or A minor, because the "home" or tonic chord is E major.

Mark; this makes sense to me, and is at the right level for me to understand, thankyou.

quote:

In fact back to the different discipline thing....flamenco has it's OWN LANGUAGE ...hence the title of the thread. "por Arriba"....it has a very specific meaning to the masters of flamenco.

Ricardo; I do agree about Flamenco having its own language. if that wasn't the case I would never have got into a muddle in the first place.

Well guys, please continue your debate about the finer points, but don't do it on my account. My brain hurts now and I need a rest.
I'll calm down with some Soleares practice I think.

Kevin Richards

http://www.facebook.com/#!/kevin.richards.1048554
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 12:49:18

guitarbuddha

--0---0----0--------
--3---3----0--------
--2---0----3--------
--4---4----4--------
--3---2----4--------
--0---3----2--------

Resolve it to F# Phrygian as a above (D9/E, GMaj13, F#add11) to place it into a flamenco context.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 12:52:07

KMMI77

quote:

Nice !

For that II V I (D9/F# G7 C/E)

I would spell the G13b9/F (root implied) (low to high) F B D Ab B E (just move whole lot down a fret and then for the resolution E C G C B E.

Try it, kinda nice the way you get the open B sustained and resolving to C in the correct octave that way and the voice leading with the pedal D for the two five part.

D.

PS (sorry but I've never taken the time to work out how to do tab)

PPS Just worked it out copy yours and tinker with it !

--0---0----0--------
--1---0----0--------
--2---1----5--------
--0---0----5--------
--3---2----3--------
--2---1----0--------

Nice! That's another couple for the pot! These are always handy for macho alcala style solea letras.

For the tab i just use the hyfin key

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 12:56:45

guitarbuddha

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

Nice! That's another couple for the pot! These are always handy for macho alcala style solea letras.

--0---0----0--------
--0---0----0--------
--3---2----1--------
--2---3----3--------
--3---3----2--------
--0---0----0--------

That one gets you back to por medio. And this one gives you the sound of Cmaj substituting for E por pedio.

--0---0----0--------
--0---0----0--------
--3---2----0--------
--2---3----2--------
--3---3----3--------
--0---0----0--------

Note that when moving to taranto the Cmaj7 is the tritone substitution for the tonic destination. Then in E the chord on C has two functions one to prepare the F chord as a secondary dominant and then to substitution for the tonic. Note that the pedal B which is fiercely discordant with the Bb of the C7 actually helps the establishment of the Por Arriba in that last box.

It didn't take too long for me to come up with these and I think that the theory I know helped me more than a little.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 13:05:03

Ricardo

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to El Burdo

quote:

This is just wrong. In this case it comes from both A harmonic minor and A melodic minor which are scales (and to me, harmonic environments, even though one was derived to act melodically).

I know Guitarbuddha said this and burdo too. Well, I should have been more clear but the concept of "V7", that is the ROMAN NUMERAL usage to describe the tonal harmony function derives from the major scale. In the minor keys you have to borrow the V7 from the parallel major for the reason of needing a STRONG Dominant to tonic resolution, in doing so must also alter the melody which may or may not result in the creation of the harmonic minor scale or melodic minor scale or even some other weird scales like double harmonic etc etc. So I was referring to the tonal harmony concept, NOT modality usage. That being, well sure you can derive "chords" from modes...but there you don't NEED Roman numerals cuz it's really just about a big 13th chord depending on your mode. In the modal world it is a huge difference between melodic or harmonic minor scales but in tonal harmony the idea of V->i is more about the resolution so both scales are looked at as alterations to the normal flow of the music, not the BASIS of the music. Hope that makes sense.

quote:

I assume the Eb is only played melodically and not as part of the chord as it clashes with the E at the top? So, I'm asking if the aug6 is actually played? I don't know, as that is about playing and I'm WELL back down the line there.

Well, the point I was making is that this weirdo secondary dominant function description of western tonal harmony falls directly in line with what's going on in the flamenco world. Of course flamencos don't think about it that way or deliberately use those theory tools, so it is pointless to spell out all the examples as if it's mozart analysis class. Secondary dominant function in normal major key songs is something like this: ii-V-I is well known. So if you alter the ii you can get II....again this is borrowing from the other major scale as as I referred to earlier to tonicize V. So you now have V/V--> V. So this idea is happening with the aug6 chord. Except it't VI7-->V.....it's a secondary dominant resolution. IT IS A RESOLUTION. period. But in the bigger picture we are looking for the final I chord....in flamenco the V IS THE TONIC....in other words you have to adjust your Roman numerals, and accept this type of harmonic movement to be strong AND final. II7-->I. That type of Roman numeral usage is not done in western theory classes, but MUST be understood in the flamenco context if we are going to continue with his idea of describing the music in theory terms.

quote:

I think all this SUPER resolved, very very wrong stuff is just a hysterical attempt to differentiate your passion from everything else by giving it different parameters.

Hysterical? Glad you think it's so funny. Well, when I first heard flamenco I was also scratching my head about these pieces "Hanging on the V7b9" like so many other western eared folk. I changed my view after I got quite deeply involved in the music. There is an other dimension to the music and begs for a better description, if one truly wants to relate what is going on to an individual coming from another discipline. Again I recommend skipping all this translation and doing it the spanish way....do re mi, por medio por arriba, etc. But right off the bat there are transcriptions and there might be a better or worse way to do it. (as can be seen in practice).

quote:

You don't know what I hear so shouldn't be telling me that I don't hear the home chord or the cadence into it. I have described a framework and have never said that it is unacceptable to sit on chords that are not the tonic of the relevant scale or harmonic environment

I have repeatedly said I think you know it "intuitively" and that you hear it but can't call it what it is. That means I KNOW you can hear it just fine, but the terminology (I said language you were using) coming from your background is the issue I have. You call it "homechord" but refuse to admit it is TONIC. That's all this argument is about. I am saying you just have to get used to the idea your intuition is RIGHT. It is home, it is Tonic, it is resolved, it is all about it.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 13:07:35

guitarbuddha

RE: I have a preference for por arriba. (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Well, I should have been more clear but the concept of "V7", that is the ROMAN NUMERAL usage to describe the tonal harmony function derives from the major scale.

Ricardo

Here is the one appropriate to the ascending form of the Harmonic minor.

iMaj7, ii-7b5,bIIIMaj7,iv-7,V7,VIMaj7,viidim7. (upper case numerals indicate major and lower case minor)

The V is dominant, and the thirteenth of that chord is flat.

If the thirteenth were natural (as in the farruca example I mentioned above) then I feel it would be more appropriate to say that there was a borrowing going on from the major.

I wholeheartedly agree that a lot of jazz guys start out by hearing the phrygian tonic as the dominant of the subsequent minor chord. When they do more listening they fix it. In fact there was a guitarist who posted some stuff with his brother on sax (I think) and it was clear that woodwind player was hearing it 'wrong'.

But that ain't no big thing, we listen more and the penny drops. God knows some things have taken me long enough.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 13:19:38

Ricardo

quote:

I-Maj7, ii-7b5,III,iv-7,V7,VIMaj7,viidim7.

Well, I guess you meant i-maj7....and III+maj7..... again those harmonies are result of doing a chord scale out of the harmonic minor scale. Jazz idea mixed with classical Roman numerals. Jazz guys normally just use numbers of mode, again, as per the MAJOR scale as the basis(1,2,3,4,5,6,7). But a song or piece composed in the KEY of Aminor does not use those Roman numerals as the basis. It is more like this:

i-ii(little circle meaning diminished)-III-iv-v-VI-VII.

The line through the circle would be half dim seventh for the ii chord. But The III chord, the v chord and the VII change due to the V7 chord being stolen from I-ii-iii-IV-V7-iv-vii(little circle)....the V7 necessarily raises the tonic of the VII chord so it become diminished....and the only fully diminished 7th in the chord scale. The III chord gets the raised 5th and becomes augmented.

Melodic minor is a different animal. THinking classical it's really just about the V7....raise 6 and 7 (the 7th and 9th of the V chord) both coming from major key to avoid the tricky aug 2 between 6 and 7. Point is strong tonic i. In jazz it's way more interesting of course as we look at the chord scale instead. But again, no need for the Roman numerals then as we are thinking MODALLY now.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 13:39:27

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

I-Maj7, ii-7b5,III,iv-7,V7,VIMaj7,viidim7.

Well, I guess you meant i-maj7....and III+maj7

, well I fixed one while you were typing.

It may be the case that the way you suggest is how some jazzers look at it. And I suspect that that is why lots of minor key standards sound terrible in the wrong hands and not very minor at all. There are however a few hundreds of years of history of tonal analysis which admits that minor keys have their own identity.

A minor key is different from a major in precisely the way that you (rightly) insist por Arriba is. Trying to explain it as a subset of major harmony has the sun moving round the earth again.

Here is some very minor harmony.

Em,F#7b9,F#halfdiminihed/B7b9 back to Em

The F#7 is not presaging Bmajor but is in fact 'borrowed' from the key of B minor and this can easily be felt as the best simplest and most natural scale to play over it is B harmonic minor. Also the dominant chords have flat ninths which are absent from the parallel major scales.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 13:44:17

Ricardo

quote:

A minor key is different from a major in precisely the way that you (rightly) insist por Arriba is. Trying to explain it as a subset of major harmony has the sun moving round the earth again.

Not subset so much as simply borrowing. LIke, Major also can borrow from minor (minor iv chord famous example), and in flamenco there is so much fun borrowing going on when playing for cante it's crazy. Falsetas reflect that quite often too.

quote:

And I suspect that that is why lots of minor key standards sound terrible in the wrong hands and not very minor at all.

Cuz they prefer to use Dorian over all minor7 chords.

quote:

The F#7 is not presaging Bmajor but is in fact 'borrowed' from the key of B minor and this can easily be felt as the best simplest and most natural scale to play over it is B harmonic minor. Also the dominant chords have flat ninths which are absent from the parallel major scales.

Again you are thinking modally. I was talking about V7... that's all. Anyway the last chord is B major after all

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 13:55:01

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

Not subset so much as simply borrowing. LIke, Major also can borrow from minor (minor iv chord famous example), and in flamenco there is so much fun borrowing going on when playing for cante it's crazy. Falsetas reflect that quite often too.

The note that makes the difference between major and minor is fundamentally the Major third, if it isn't played then the parallel major is not being invoked.

I remember in the eighties all the guitar magazines talked about something called the 'natural minor'. A violinist friend asked me to play for him an
A minor scale, I played my 'natural minor' and he looked at me baffled. 'But that's C major he said'.

He was right of course. The key of A minor has a G sharp at the least and it it isn't a mode of C and it has an altered dominant which doesn't A major doesn't.
And be wary of guitar magazines.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:03:05

Ricardo

quote:

The note that makes the difference between major and minor is fundamentally the Major third, if it isn't played then the parallel major is not being invoked.

Again THE V the freaking Roman numeral. Its a concept of harmonic function. The major 3rd from the major scale is not in there. Big picture concept, not the individual intervals. Forrest, trees, etc Sheeesh.

quote:

He was right of course.

Of course he is not right. Natural minor is also Aeolian. It's as stupid to say " not that is not A natural minor scale, that is F lydian fool".

Look a simple concept is the Circle of 5ths. Key signature explains everything. In A minor you don't encounter an accidental such as G# until way over on the right side where A major is. It is a simple concept.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:13:21

guitarbuddha

He was also my harmony professor.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:17:01

Ricardo

quote:

He was also my harmony professor.

Obviously.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:25:53

guitarbuddha

I guess you played through the chords above and found a problem then.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:31:09

Ricardo

quote:

I guess you played through the chords above and found a problem then.

D.

no problems here

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:32:38

guitarbuddha

quote:

no problems here

Ah well I guess you know your audience.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:45:29

guitarbuddha

quote:

Again you are thinking modally. I was talking about V7... that's all. Anyway the last chord is B major after all

Nope it is a dominant seventh flat nine as written. This is a change of quality and by no means trivial or optional. You can play a B triad if you want but don't expect the soloist to play with you again. Soloists like the guide tones.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:53:00

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

Nope it is a dominant seventh flat nine as writtne. You can play a B triad if you want but don't expect the soloist to play with you again. Soloists like the guide tones.

D.

In jazz maybe...but I play with jazz cats no probs with triads or less. Trust me.

Wasn't going to get into it but your Em-F#7(b9)-F#m7b5-B7(b9)....I know you want to think your progression is all in E minor...but personally I would view it all as in B minor. The first chord is iv..so its iv-V7-V7/iv for two bars. So your V7/iv is really a big fat I major lol. There are several approaches.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 14:56:32

guitarbuddha

quote:

In jazz maybe...but I play with jazz cats no probs with triads or less. Trust me.

Sure. I know what inspires me and it is generally a well realised functional harmony with good voice leading .

But I have said many many times that I am not a fusion fan. I'll take Sydney Bechet over a certain trio any day.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 15:00:57

guitarbuddha

quote:

Wasn't going to get into it but your Em-F#7(b9)-F#m7b5-B7(b9)....I know you want to think your progression is all in E minor...but personally I would view it all as in B minor. The first chord is iv..so its iv-V7-V7/iv for two bars. So your V7/iv is really a big fat I major lol. There are several approaches.

I am confident that Astor Piazolla chose his key signatures carefully.

Check out the Brazilian real book move to the II7b is common. Also any Bach and Piazolla as mentioned.

The progression is Bossa Dorado in E. There is no doubt as to its correctness. Your insistance that an alternative interpretation with no tonic whatever and conveniantly ignoring the half diminished is wrong on every level. This must be why you are laughing.

Move to Subdominant can as you suggest but it happens like this.

i6 V7b9 I7b9 iv6

Dm6 A7b9 D7b9 Gm6

This is followed immediately by the iv i II7b9 V7b9 where the dominant on two strengthens the resolution to the tonic.

It is for precisely the same reason that the dominant of the original key made the eventual move (at the end of the first line) to the subdominant more convinving.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 15:07:34

Ricardo

quote:

Sure. I know what inspires me and it is generally a well realised functional harmony with good voice leading .

Well, I prefer only a solid rhythm base. In fact more simple chords allow me more freedom to alter scales and imply exotic colors. A 13th chord leaves you with nothing other than the single mode unless you want to clash on purpose.

quote:

the II7b is common.

Of course, but you don't roman numerate that way. You say "V7/V". AS you borrow that chord out from a different key center.

quote:

Dm6 A7b9 D7b9 Gm6

Well great, but the original you gave me omits that Dm6 instead you have the Gm there leaving ambiguity. I sort of prefer ambiguity as it leaves more room for different approaches. Regardless, again, your Roman Numerals need to reflect harmonic function if you are gonna use em. there is no "I7b9" in tonal harmony analysis. It's V7(b9)/iv....at least how I learned in school. Jazz guys, as I have said, do away with both Roman numerals and even key signatures, dealing with each chord as a separate island.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 15:19:57

guitarbuddha

quote:

. there is no "I7b9" in tonal harmony analysis. It's V7(b9)/iv....at least how I learned in school.

Jazz guys, as I have said, do away with both Roman numerals and even key signatures, dealing with each chord as a separate island.

That last line is the crux of the matter.

In tonal music there is a heirarchy of keys. Modal music and fusion music ignore this and I personally think it takes away a lot of the interest.

Minor key standards and swing tunes are not arbitrary collections of modulations. They are like perfect little mechanisms to guide the soloist and listener.This is the essence of tonality. As I say I am absolutely not talking about modes when I talk about minor keys.

If you like ambiguity that is fine. I like it too like in Cesar swing the A seven may be about to return to the one but in fact is a pivot chord as it is also the II7b9 of the subdominant. I like to know both of these things at the same time.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 15:32:53

guitarbuddha

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 14 2014 15:35:48
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 15:35:19

guitarbuddha

Repeated post instead of editing above.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2014 15:39:20
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>