Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathematics   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

Thanks for an engaging discussion.

RNJ

How gracious of you Richard.
Not only in defining the end of the argument but also in confining your thanks to a sole contributor.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 19:02:28

guitarbuddha

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to guitarbuddha

As for your own failure to engage......well if one cannot locate the appropriate anecdote or source then it can be intimidating to be left at the mercy of one's own imagination.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 20:19:19

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

... left at the mercy of one's own imagination.

Like ... discovering that one is completely explainable as string puppy, depending merely on accidental course of extern happenings.
A running vehicle witout actual steering wheel.
... Without mirrors, without breaks ...
With only obligations as common mould and manifold others of any excentric example.

Plain accident determining what you be. Movies you might have seen lately, heores seen in youth, ideals not understood but followed, and impulses you are not even aware of.

And that you could improve on the puppy situation the more you train. Exercising for sobriety, for actual recognition, authencity; for a life beyond of vegetation.

Only to be ... maybe again, left at the mercy of one's own imagination
Will it be no accident anymore? Are you really sober now, or actually biased; understanding or erring, authentic or cheap copy of what you deem on the right path?

Just a minute flash in the whirl, or a blessing for the appreciation of the grind aeons have accomplished to come up with just incredible constructs of complexity and finess?

Buddhists could be saying that indeed entity needed that appreciation of you semi conscious viewer for to be the magnificience it is.

And which could be where I´d put a tongue in cheek and for once embrace the otherwise absurdity of egocentrism reflected in such thesis.
-

This must be looking like flirting for poetic image ( thank you, David, for the nice words above! :O) but the question of the subject possibly wobbling around as air bubble that is either idle or bursting by randomness could be how life likes to ridicule the vain who fancy to be a thinking individual.

Could we be refusing to realize that we are just dasies on a windy meadow?
Only wishing to be of sense before being dropped as cowpat by the tides of indifference?
Noone wants to be that.
-

And yet, most are just being bios mass.
For pity of lying idle.

Or how do you call wasted cow pats?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 0:23:58

Richard Jernigan

quote:

Not only in defining the end of the argument but also in confining your thanks to a sole contributor.

D.

My politeness extended to not calling you out on your presumption. But now that I am challenged I ask, how do you know that Bill was religious in his youth? How do you know that his Platonism is a substitute for his lost faith, if he ever had any?

I invite you to examine your other "contributions" for further instances of presumption.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 0:52:28

Richard Jernigan

quote:

As for your own failure to engage......well if one cannot locate the appropriate anecdote or source then it can be intimidating to be left at the mercy of one's own imagination.

D.

Failure to engage with what or whom?

One of the most valuable lessons of mathematics and science is self reliance. If you need references for further reading, ask a librarian.

Why do encounters with you come so frequently to nastiness on your part?

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 1:04:55

guitarbuddha

quote:

Why do encounters with you come so frequently to nastiness on your part?

RNJ

Why do your 'encounters' with me so frequently seem nasty to you ?

Well I'll take half the blame. The rest remains up for grabs.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 1:22:35

guitarbuddha

quote:

My politeness extended to not calling you out on your presumption.

RNJ

Standards vary but that looks like a low bar to me.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 1:27:41

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

D.

But now that I am challenged I ask, how do you know that Bill was religious in his youth? How do you know that his Platonism is a substitute for his lost faith, if he ever had any?

RNJ

I enjoy talking to Bill and I trust that if he is offended by the tack I take he will let me know. Or he can just laugh it off.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 1:30:20

Richard Jernigan

quote:

I enjoy talking to Bill and I trust that if he is offended by the tack I take he will let me know. Or he can just laugh it off.

D.

Thanks, an excellent point. You may consider yourself laughed off for the foreseeable future.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 19:24:39

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

D.

Thanks, an excellent point. You may consider yourself laughed off for the foreseeable future.

RNJ

Sometimes I even laugh at myself.

Otherwise my natural pomposity might get the better of me.

I don't know if this is useful in every case.

I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 19:41:53

Ruphus

Hey guys,

Be nice. :O]
It could have been just a randomness that sometimes let´s us handle and other times stumble.

Like a snake, either moved or chilled by the weather.
Maybe even the grand desolate as alternative to paradise that we cause, came about through some unrelated trigger like a solar storm, or a forest fire, earth quake or a meagre fishing season.

And had there been another constellation, weather, tide or streaming you would now be invited in my tropical garden where we be playing boule and soccer like everyone else of a sober 2 billion or so who enjoy mother earth´s lush hosting and the service of high-tech.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 24 2013 22:46:12

guitarbuddha

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

And had there been another constellation, weather, tide or streaming you would now be invited in my tropical garden where we be playing boule and soccer like everyone else of a sober 2 billion or so who enjoy mother earth´s lush hosting and the service of high-tech.

Ruphus

Team games often inspire pettiness. And often as a result we play into the hands of the opposing team. Particularly regretful when we are in opposition to indifference.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2013 12:24:08

Ruphus

Very true, and well said!

And that kind of contradiction seems to hunt us throughout life. Not seldomly manifest in sabotaged love affairs, punished children, family quarrels ...

Only to pause the messs for a day or two at opportunities like the fest in a month or so. Surrounded by each other, sun-bathing in emotions and wondering why the hell can´t we have each other like that?

Because of being Johnny head-in-the-Air and more or less vehicles without steering wheel.
Daisies on a windy meadow, I tell ya.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 25 2013 13:14:29

Ricardo

quote:

I remain agnostic about the non-human existence of mathematics, since it is difficult, if not impossible for me to conceive what that might be.

It might not exist as a separate entity but it "exists" I am sure non the less perhaps as some other description. For example, the periodic table of elements is a simple reality of nature. Sure we made the literal "table" but it ties together, for me anyway, math, chemistry, physics (both GR and of course QED or whatever), time, space, astronomy, etc. Oddly it is only approached by CHEMISTRY to young students. I remember doing chemistry equations as a kid and thinking, this is like some weird math. There should or could be simply, ONE class subject called "stellar evolution" in which the big picture is addressed and the periodic table becomes sort of a logical consequence. Instead we are left to make all the connections later, but any kid could understand the simple logic involved in how things are happening. No need for the tool "math" to be a separate entity from everything else.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2013 22:03:25

Arash

wow, interesting thread, middle east politics, religion, science, mathematics, physics,,,,

I personally think God simply messed it up right at the beginning.

She (not he) actually wanted to make a fair, nice, clean and modern western universe where there is always a cute Mrs. antimatter for a handsome Mr. matter and where they always find eachother and melt together in suicide bombastic love pretty fast, then, due to a moment of typical female carelessness, some polygam terrorist Mr. matters took advantage, exploited the loophole and catched more than one Mrs. antimatter, hence some confused Mr. matters were left alone without a counterpart.
And now we have the mess and are trying to find a solution.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2013 9:18:49

Richard Jernigan

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
It might not exist as a separate entity but it "exists" I am sure non the less perhaps as some other description.

How about those pesky imaginary numbers, do they "exist"? I think that word "exist" is part of the problem. Does the classical electromagnetic field "exist"?

Walking back across the parking lot from a tour of the planet's most precise radar, where I had been pulling on the government money guy's arm, he asked, "Okay, I've heard all about the electromagnetic field waving, but nobody has been able to explain to me exactly what is waving."

My good friend, the MIT Site Manager started talking about sending waves down a rope by wiggling the end you're holding onto. The money guy interrupted, "Yeah, I've heard about that, but what I'm asking is, what is the rope?"

I put my oar in. "Well, what we actually see is that if we wiggle some electrons here, a lot of them, wiggling really hard and fast, then other electrons on satellites hundreds of kilometers away start wiggling a little later, at the same frequency. After some further delay this causes electrons in our receiver to wiggle a little, and we decipher the results. We don't see anything at all wiggling in between, but it's as though something were there wiggling, and transmitting the energy back and forth even through a vacuum. You can use Maxwell's field equations to figure out when and how the electrons out there will wiggle, no matter where they are."

The money guy seemed better satisfied with that. However, I don't think my explanation had anything to do with our getting a million bucks for a new radome. I think that was because of how important that radar was for keeping track of just what was going on in space.

RNJ

I'm off to my brother's place in the Hill Country northwest of San Antonio. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2013 14:26:24
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post