Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathematics   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to BarkellWH

Bill this statement

quote:

Nevertheless, I think mathematical structures transcend, and are independent of, the human mind (forget Platonic Forms). When mathematicians make a "discovery," or solve a problem (Fermat's Last Theorem), they are bringing forth something that existed prior to their "discovery"; something that was just waiting for a human mind (or minds) to reach the level of sophistication required to "crack the code," so to speak.

And this one

quote:

In fact, one can say that religion is culture. And it pervades their entire existence in everything from their overall belief system to the laws that govern...

Have an awful lot in common. If one simply replaces maths with god in the first the uncomfortable equivelancy is painfully clear.

In particular the personification of maths with the attitude of 'waiting' worries me. I really feel it should worry you too in the light of your stern views as expressed in the second phrase.

I honestly believe that when we observe other cultures we have the opportunity to see the flaws in our own present and not so distant past. We see them without the lens of their intrinsic social conditioning and that is very powerful. Unless we allow our native conditioning to be too strong .....or seductive.

D.

Oh and it is the same with music as far as I am concerned.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2013 21:30:50

Richard Jernigan

Another look at Platonism. We communicate via shared concepts. If we didn't have shared concepts, how could we understand one another? But concepts can be fuzzy around the edges and that fuzziness can get us into trouble. The classical Greeks, while guilty of introducing the Platonic forms, also came up with a workaround for the fuzziness of concepts: the axiomatic method.

"Color" is a fuzzy concept. More specifically, the color "blue" is a fuzzy concept. I sat on the balcony of a fancy hotel in Nusa Dua on Bali, enjoying the tropical breeze and a second cup of coffee after a late breakfast. My companion was a pretty young Javanese girl. (Don't miss your cue here, Vega. Doesn't this make you thirsty?) She was teaching me bahasa indonesia the Malay dialect that is the official language of polyglot Indonesia. Pointing to the border of the menu cover she pronounced hijak. Hijak is the color of green beans in Malay, but the menu border had a decided bluish cast. Noting the blue-green color of the band bordering the sleeve of my polo shirt, I pointed to it and responded, "Hijak."

"Tidak! Tidak!" she objected. "Biru." Blue, not blue-green. She held the menu up to my shirt, "Can't you tell the difference?" Indeed the shirt sleeve was that tiny bit more blue.

"Yes, but to me they are the same color. I can see the difference now, but if you had not pointed it out, and you asked me at dinner, I would say they were the same color." Then I started laughing.

"What's funny?"

"The same thing happened in the third grade, only in reverse." The teacher was a red-haired gringa with the build and manner of a Marine drill sergeant. In Spanish class she held up a card and asked what color it was. No one answered. People either didn't know, or some of the quicker Spanish speaking members of the class foresaw a difficulty I did not. I raised my hand and said, "Alazán."

"No," said the teacher, "marrón."

"But, Mrs. DeV., marrón is the color of chestnuts. Alazán is the color of a sorrel horse, like the card." On the ranch where I spent every summer from the age of four, these were important distinctions. Some of the horses had names, but most of the steeds in the remuda were described simply by their physical characteristics, "The big chestnut mare, the piebald sorrel gelding…" And 21 of the 22 families who lived on the ranch spoke Spanish at home.

I persisted. Mrs. DeV. assigned me extra work for defying the teacher. Fuzzy concepts can get you in trouble.

The axiomatic workaround is this. You set out a certain set of statements about a concept you wish to discuss like "line" or "point". These statements are called "axioms". Everyone agrees that everything said in the future about the concept will be deduced from the axioms by certain rules of logic. This eliminates large areas of disagreement. There is at present still a bit of discussion about the rules of logic to be employed, but most mathematical logic agrees with ordinary patterns of thought.

This approach has one of the characteristics of Platonism. The mathematical objects are accessible only to thought. Indeed they are thoughts. What else could a concept be? Concepts exist, else how could we communicate? But they do not transcend the human mind. They are the shared products of human minds.

Concepts can be taught. They can be invented. Invented concepts can be consistent with other, previously tested concepts, or they can be wrong. Useful, striking, consistent concepts are often said to be "discovered." Indeed, that's just how it feels sometimes.

Concepts have fallen into and out of favor over the centuries. For example Leibnitz, in his development of calculus, spoke of infinitesimals: numbers smaller in magnitude than any positive number, yet still not zero. Newton did too, at first, but later abandoned infinitesimals. The trouble with infinitesimals is that they violate the rules or ordinary arithmetic. In ordinary arithmetic no matter how small a number may be, if it isn't zero, there's another number, still smaller, between it and zero. In arithmetic there are no nonzero numbers smaller than all the others.

Infinitesimals were ridiculed in such a withering and effective manner by Cardinal Newman ("ghosts of departed quantities") that mathematicians of the generations after Newton and Leibnitz abandoned them. Finally in the 19th century Cauchy and others described the idea of "limit" in sufficiently clear and logical terms that calculus was declared to be a logical pursuit after all.

When I took calculus in 1956, infinitesimals were still being ridiculed, then by mathematicians, not clergymen. But they still appeared in profusion in physics texts and the lower orders of calculus texts.

Then along came Abraham Robinson, the inventor of Non-Standard Analysis. Using sophisticated topological and logical concepts, he extended the idea of the set of real numbers and the rules for manipulating them, to include things that behaved just like Leibnitz's infinitesimals, if you used the same symbols for the new operations as the ones used for ordinary arithmetic. I'm pretty sure Leibnitz's ideas of "infinitesimal" were quite different from Robinson's, yet….who "discovered" infinitesimals?

What does "existence" mean to mathematicians? Most would evade the question. Euclid said you could draw a line between any two points. Hilbert in his more rigorous presentation, 2,400 years later, said, "If A and B are two points, there exists a line containing them." This is a statement about conceptual existence. The concept "line" has the property ascribed to it by Hilbert's axiom. It doesn't mean that any physical objects have the properties mentioned, nor that something exists in never-never land. It means that the concepts "line" and "point" abstracted from our physical experiences can safely be said to behave this way.

This paper from 1962

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1359523/pdf/jphysiol01247-0121.pdf

cited at least 8700 times, indicates that there are specific brain responses to things we would call lines and points in the visual field, at least for cats. I don't know whether anyone has wired up humans to test us for these responses.

This suggests that the concepts "line" and "point" may describe fundamental operations of our brains, honed by evolution over the ages to deal with our environment. Who wouldn't be excited to discover new relations between such fundamental brain responses? The responses (not the concepts, as far as we know) are indeed likely to transcend the human mind, extending to cats, dogs, porcupines….

Ernest Thompson Seton argued that crows could count to at least ten…

And the last words of the famous African Grey Parrot Alex, before he died unexpectedly in the night from unknown causes, were his usual, "You be good. See you tomorrow. I love you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_(parrot)

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2013 21:40:02

BarkellWH

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

Bill this statement quote: Nevertheless, I think mathematical structures transcend, and are independent of, the human mind (forget Platonic Forms). When mathematicians make a "discovery," or solve a problem (Fermat's Last Theorem), they are bringing forth something that existed prior to their "discovery"; something that was just waiting for a human mind (or minds) to reach the level of sophistication required to "crack the code," so to speak.

And this one quote: In fact, one can say that religion is culture. And it pervades their entire existence in everything from their overall belief system to the laws that govern...Have an awful lot in common. If one simply replaces maths with god in the first the uncomfortable equivelancy is painfully clear.

But I did not intend the first statement to refer to God at all, GuitarBuddha. When I refer to something existing prior to a human mind discovering it, I am referring to what might be called certain "symmetries" that exist (almost as a natural phenomenon, for lack of a better explanation), independent of the human mind, and certainly independent of anyone's concept of a god or gods. I place my faith in science, not religion. I do think that certain "symmetries" (again, I don't know any other way to describe them) such as mathematical structures exist, or are embedded, in the natural world, and we "discover" them when a certain level of mental sophistication enables us to perceive them. A sort of Eureka! moment.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2013 22:06:40

Richard Jernigan

Bill-

May I suggest Carl B. Boyer's "History of Calculus and its Conceptual Development"? It details the long struggle to formulate differential and integral calculus in a logically consistent way. It contains a handful of clinkers, since Boyer, writing in the 1930s was not up on the latest stuff even for the 1930s, but the clinkers are minor, not affecting the overall story. It's an interesting history that treats the "discovery" of calculus as an intellectual adventure in the development of concepts.

http://www.amazon.com/History-Calculus-Conceptual-Development-Mathematics/dp/0486605094

I mentioned Morris Kline's "Mathematics, the Loss of Certainty" previously. It portrays the 20th century debates on the foundations of mathematics from a mathematician's perspective, not a philosopher's.

http://tinyurl.com/lfnymxz

Mathematicians and physicists are far from perfect. But having been trained as a mathematician and physicist, trying to read "philosophy of science" is more often than not frustrating to me. It seems to me there is often a mistaken emphasis, or they simply get things wrong.

It seems to bug Barry Mazur, too.

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~mazur/papers/plato4.pdf

I'm trying to read Teller's "An Interpretive Introduction to Particle Physics". He spends a whole chapter talking about "particles" as though they were some kind of physical reality and then gets the description of the Fock space of the Standard Model wrong, calling it a "tensor product of Hilbert spaces."

The developers of the misnamed "particle physics" just said, "Forget about 'particles' except to use it as shorthand for quantized wavelike perturbations of fields on Hilbert spaces."

At present it seems that the more accurate our physics models are, the less "physical" they become, in the sense of physical intuition. The physics models are constructed from abstract mathematical concepts. Trying to describe them in prose as philosophers often do, is doomed to failure.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2013 23:02:21

BarkellWH

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Richard,

Having lived and worked in Indonesia for four years and Malaysia for four years (a total of eight years in the Malay Archipelago), I speak both Malay (Bahasa Melayu) and its Indonesian variant (Bahasa Indonesia) fluently. Not to be picky, but I think you meant "biru" (vice "baru") to mean the color blue. In both Malay and Indonesian "biru" means"blue," and "baru" means "new."

I do not agree that your example of "color" in Bahasa Indonesia illustrates "fuzziness." It appeared to be "fuzzy" to you because you did not grasp the subtlety of the language and applied your own understanding of color in English to the situation. This is often the case when learning a foreign language. A good example is the word "rice." In English, we refer to rice as "rice," whether it is growing in a rice paddy, in a bag at the supermarket, or on our dinner plate ready to eat. In Malay and Indonesian, however, there are four different terms for "rice," depending on its condition.

PADI refers to rice on the stalk growing in the field.

GABAH refers to unhusked rice separated from the stalk.

BERAS refers to uncooked rice on the supermarket shelf.

NASI refers to cooked rice ready to eat.

What we may sometimes think of as "fuzzy" is often just a linguistic misunderstanding. And it harks back to your statement about holding "shared concepts" with your interlocutor to prevent misunderstandings. That's the provenance of the old adage that to know a little of a foreign language can be dangerous. In the case of "rice" or "color" it is a benign misunderstanding, but one can get into areas where a little knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all. In any case, in the example of "rice," Malay and Indonesian are anything but fuzzy. In fact, they exhibit greater precision than English.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2013 23:09:20

Richard Jernigan

Oops, you're right, "biru".

My mental picture was of a vast map of concepts, English in one color, Indonesian in another, with broad but not exact overlaps in many cases. The English and Indonesian concepts overlap enough to warrant the translations "biru" and "blue" when I looked them up, but my friend's boundaries were in a different place from mine.

Would every Indonesian agree on the borderline between "hijau" and "biru", or would there be some fuzziness there?

"Sorrel" and "chestnut" are pretty close together in horse colors. But a six-year old Texas ranch boy would have a much sharper line of demarcation than an adult city slicker.

I hope that's better.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 0:12:10

guitarbuddha

Well gentlemen I feel you are illustrating the point admirably.

Either you will reach a better understanding of each others position or not. I believe that concepts are mirrored as inaccurately from person to person as they are from external physical reality to the conscious and unconscious mind. This is the central problem with concepts.

Your yellow is different from mine. Our concepts of what yellow is may overlap.
They are capable of expansion and refinement and contradiction by an assumed authority.

Yellow only exists in nature to the extent that we define it. One might say that the emission spectra of a certain element and a given range of frequencies around it define yellow. By couching the definition in the language of our favourite orthodoxy do we overrule all other yellows ? No of course we don't.

Did yellow exist in nature waiting for just the right concept of yellowness to enter the common consciousness. NO. A variety of phenomena existed which we labelled yellow. Does the universe have a use for our label. NO.

Is maths different ? Well at each stage it feels different but history tells us that this is an illusion.

So is there 'out there' somewhere is a place of agreement and mutually satisfying compromise waiting for you both in this or any other argument?

No there is not. You will have to MAKE it.

Having been found by you two will it be waiting for us ?

No.

There may be a similar place but it will be very different as it includes at least one other very complicated individual. And that individual brings very different concepts even when these concepts are labelled with the same words.

And possibly even different from the meaning a parrot derives from them.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 0:22:55

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

"Sorrel" and "chestnut" are pretty close together in horse colors. But a six-year old Texas ranch boy would have a much sharper line of demarcation than an adult city slicker.

I hope that's better.

RNJ

Nope it suggests a positional primacy to the Texan definition...... which is a common misapprehension.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 0:24:31

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

What we may sometimes think of as "fuzzy" is often just a linguistic misunderstanding. And it harks back to your statement about holding "shared concepts" with your interlocutor to prevent misunderstandings. That's the provenance of the old adage that to know a little of a foreign language can be dangerous. In the case of "rice" or "color" it is a benign misunderstanding, but one can get into areas where a little knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all. In any case, in the example of "rice," Malay and Indonesian are anything but fuzzy. In fact, they exhibit greater precision than English.

Cheers,

Bill

OK, I'll trot out one of R.L. Moore's favorite stunts. He would announce that in the work to follow, "point" and "region" were undefined terms, but with the proviso that they mean something. "You may not think that's a very strong requirement," he would say, "that a word should mean something."

He often sat in an oak straight backed chair behind an oak desk at the front of the room, dressed in a dark blue suit tailored to his athletic build, with an immaculately starched and pressed white shirt, conservative tie and handmade high top shoes of the softest calfskin. Both chair and desk were in good condition. The classroom was effectively reserved for Moore's use. It had beautiful slate blackboards, while other classrooms in the building had boards of painted Masonite. The rumor was that Moore had paid for the boards himself, so as not to burden the taxpayers with his preference.

Moore placed the palm of his hand on the desktop, and with a twinkle in his eye asked, "Mr. X, what is this."

"It's a desk, Dr. Moore."

Moore removed the drawers and stacked them in a corner. "Now what is it, Mr. X?"

"It's still a desk, Dr. Moore."

"If I had a saw and sawed off one corner," about four inches, he gestured, "what would it be then, Mr. X?"

"Still a desk, sir."

Moore proposed to saw off more and more of the desk, until Mr. X began to express some doubt about its integrity. Eventually Moore proposed to saw it right down the middle. "And now, Mr. X?"

"It's a desk sawn in two."

"Is that the same thing as a desk?"

"….not exactly."

"If I sawed a sixteenth of an inch to the right of the middle, would it still be a desk sawn in two?"

Mr. X abandoned ship at this point.

"Thank you, Mr. X for putting up with that." Addressing the class at large, "So you see, requiring that a word mean something may not be such a weak requirement."

Since all theorems were to be derived from Moore's axioms for topology (revolutionary at the time of their introduction) the opportunity was eliminated for fuzziness to cloud the discussion of "point", "region" and the many terms defined from them such as "continuum" , "arc", "simple closed curve", and so on for three years of study.

Thanks to Euclid--or whoever Euclid got the axiomatic idea from.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 0:55:30

Ruphus

Bill,

I see the same thing regarding quite a homogenous effect of culture throughout societal hierarchy.
However, is the direction of the Arabic Spring notwithstandingly a result of foregone decades of recruiting fanatics and pathing corresponding agitation. ( That caused the Turkish retard too.) With now hardened rejection of profane education and much more vehement warshiping than sixty years ago.
Back then the least still associated crusades going on, but now so many do.

Filling oil on glowing gives fire.
There was a time ideally suit to demonstrate pragmatism and goodwill, but used to club down interest instead. Ready sprouts trampled until they were down to the roots.

Democracy introduced by ( highly integer!) spirits like Mossadegh might have not resulted into kind of Skandinavien advance, but it would had quite certainly become night & day to current conditions in Middle East, including the ones in Turkey.
Todays conditions were not inevitable.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 0:58:32

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

I hope that's better.

RNJ

Nope it suggests a positional primacy to the Texan definition...... which is a common misapprehension.

D.

...not that the conception of the Texas boy is better than the city slicker's, nor vice versa. Merely that they are different...

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 3:48:54

guitarbuddha

So what exactly do we mean by maths ?

Here is an empirical experiment.

Take a healthy adult with good coordination and a well rounded education.

Ask him to throw a ball thirty yards at a not unreasonably small target. Give him two minutes.

Then ask him to divide one thirteen digit number by a four digit number from memory without paper correct to six decimal places (neither number should have the same digit repeated more than twice). Will three minutes suffice ?

The second is actually the simpler as it is a purely arithmetical operation.
The grammar of maths is used by children and integrated into computer logic circuits. Thus the computer or calculator finds calculation based on computational operators far easier and may in some ways be considered to be a more powerful turing device.

But of course I don't believe that to be true in all or even most senses.

The resolution of the first problem by a computer would require the construction of throwing device and elaborate sensory apparatus. Also, not least of all, the composition of a program by a human designed to observe and calibrate the force generated in the throwing device and the direction of flight, beginning with some human guesses. The first guesses would be needed because a program which proceeds intuitively from direct observation does not as yet exist in hardware.

So the first task way beyond the computer even given the starting conditions brushed upon above. The second I have known one man who could do it graciously in his head but importantly he would need to have access to the original numbers in written form in front of him. He was no savant just a physics lecturer who liked to show off.

So what does this tell us ? Maybe it hints that mathematics as formalised in the various historical systems of grammar is not as native to the human mind as might be insisted. In general it is requires that for any complicated operation based on mathematical grammar the human sensory feedback system must be enhanced by the of minimum pen and paper and at the very least a level of formal education appropriate to the problem in hand.

So how on earth do we hit the target ? Well as children we observe the motion of objects and a path is traced on our retina. This path is mirrored physically in our brain through the propagation of neurons. We become fascinated and observe over and over a game of football or baseball or catch. Schools of possible paths are represented physically in a serious of related physical circuits in our brain. At some point a mathematical relationship is formed intuitively between these routes and a smaller streamlined interrelated flight prediction apparatus exists in our brain. And it is powered by our fascination, the playful delight in guessing what will happen next, the survival advantages of which are too obvious to state.

Now I would suggest that the grammar of this mathematics has to a certain extent primacy. It is accomplished through evolutionary means and begins to a greater or lesser extent anew with each birth.

It strikes me as a rather naive assumption that having found an artificial grammar and being able to mimic some of the things which the brain can do that we have in any way stumbled upon the language of the universe. We have a clumsy probe in mathematics. It only acquires power when directed by a human mind and its main advantage is to make the unconscious power of the mind available to our conscious selves.

And it has developed for the same reasons as the ability to throw the ball. As a direct consequence of the joy of the person who handles it and the desire to be the best on the field of play.

What life it has we give it. It will not be waiting at the end of time to congratulate us.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 11:14:37

Ruphus

quote:

... a smaller streamlined interrelated flight prediction apparatus exists in our brain. And it is powered by our fascination, the playful delight in guessing what will happen next, the survival advantages of which are too obvious to state.

I was about to object when a thinking over confirmed your claim.
Apparently passion must preceed a guessing.

quote:

And it has developed for the same reasons as the ability to throw the ball. As a direct consequence of the joy of the person who handles it and the desire to be the best on the field of play.

This however could be a discret point to interfere into your beautiful post.
Joy is thinkable without competitive motives too. Just as enjoying the play for itself.

As you metnioned yourself once, Darwin wasn´t meaning things as absolute as some would like to interpret today.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 13:49:20

guitarbuddha

RE: The Beauty and Mystery of Mathem... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

Joy is thinkable without competitive motives too. Just as enjoying the play for itself.

As you metnioned yourself once, Darwin wasn´t meaning things as absolute as some would like to interpret today.

Ruphus

One thing that is particularly hard to explain about genetic selection from the perspective of empirical probability is sex, sex and death.

Where is the advantage to be gained from death. It strike me as obvious that any immortal entity will be hidebound by lack of adaptability over its evolving competitors and extinguished.

I am also strongly suspicious that a vast boost given to intelligence by the emotional life associated with adapting to a partner. This necessity, to provide a secure future for one's future gene carriers (children) is a big part of the reason (at least so it seems to me)that the vast majority of developed life on earth is sexual in nature.

In finding a mate there must necessarily be competition in a world with limited resources (and resources will always be limited given the fecundity of life). So we are hard wired to compete.

In every evolving species competition is a big part of the heritage which allowed survival.

Where I agree with you completely (I think) Ruphus is here(and I think I alluded to this before on another thread). Many political movements have made a great play of finding a moral basis for their proposed behaviour in the competitive nature of life.

I dislike this intensely. Ethics and morality are human values. Nature does not have values in much the same way that it is indifferent to all of our labels. And nature does not have a consciousness (an odd thing for a Buddha to say but it's that's just a silly internet handle).

Using evolution excuse for a morally indefeasible agenda is as silly as pointing at a chair and saying see I am right because the chair agrees with me.

But this is precisely the way in which the argument functions. Or to put it in a less facetious construction. 'See the mighty lion kill the gazelle and thus we are similarly noble when see steal oil. For we are like the lion and the gazelles will become strong like us and become lions.'

Of course if this last were true and 'progress' in evolution was in any way deterministic (which, as it the case with mathematics, it isn't) then there would be only lions and they would all have died for want of prey.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 17:14:41

Ruphus

Well said; and I think BTW common sense is not aware that nature has no consciousness / aims.*

Yet, playing without aims has been found by biologists ( = it´s not my spontaneous assumpion).
Formerly, as you know, animals playing was assumed as always meaningful / task. ( Training skills, strenthening sociologically, etc.)
Over past years however observers discovered that advanced animals can play simply for the joy of it.

Maybe most popular example: Jack daws sliding down snowy slopes.
I would say, even as amateur observer you can see how they plain enjoy the slide without any competing with each other.

Intelligent species know the just-for-the-sake-of-it action.

Ruphus

PS:
* Ever thrilled by the fact that nature has no aim, I find it even more fascinating that it is sheer measure of time ( in our perceptive dimension) that enables incredible finesse to come about.

Time, the universal fertilizer, if you want.
-

... - And now, besides, it is five before twelve on earth.
Mere due to sapiens ape that prefers to dismiss beauty before the eyes and knit its own bovine entity of detouchment.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 19:15:29

Doitsujin

quote:

The Beauty and Mystery of Mathematics

My favourite number is 69.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 21 2013 20:08:54

Ruphus

Coincidentally I have been sent an actual interview today with the American neurologist David Eagleman about his new book "Icognito".

Basically he discusses the conscious ego as not center of personality, but practically periphery. Displaying us as much less self-governed than we dared to think even after the cancel of free will.
And accidentally, as I was about the relevance of time, time plays a major role in his thesis. Not only with its relativity ( hypothetical aliens of other time perception experiencing us slow like trees, etc.), but with its subjective stretching and shrinking in dependence of the psyche. ( Slow-motion when in surprise / accident ...)

Thus, the inconsitent sensation of time leaving us more arbitrary and unpredictabel than we used to suspect already.
-

Another point, though not connected to the whereabouts of mathematics as either invention or precondition, but relevant and very interesting still: Eagleman´s description of the ego as conflict between insight and impulse. With impulse often coming out superiour. ( And when regularly = criminal behaviour.)

Basically providing impulse as the background of evil, while in the same time developing effective methods for training of impulse suppression.

If this be true, it will present sensational means in pedagogy and disciplining.
And such a simple one!

Should be really great news.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2013 11:51:54

guitarbuddha

These Reith Lectures in 2003 by neuroscientist and psychologist Vilayanur S Ramachandran were fascinating and entertaining and in my opinon the best for years. You can listen to them here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/lecture1.shtml

I found them to be honest and free of agenda. Speculation was labelled as such and accompanied by fully reasoned argument. Also some hilarious faux pas from the audience with questions illustrating their absolute incomprehension.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2013 12:41:45

Ruphus

Thank you, David.

Have a problem here with large files / contingent. Something external uses up all of my appointed throughput and beyond. It appeared as if it was trying to succesively suck up my terrabytes of hardisk. As I couldn´t stop it from loading all the crap, I am now turning off the modem all the time, so that it may not ruin me financially. ( After all the extra funds that I had to pay my provider at the silly fees for yet crappiest throughput, I calculated that a transfer of all storage would end up costing me over 5 grands.)

Just so you know.
This is all democracy, my friend.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2013 20:47:43

Richard Jernigan

quote:

Nevertheless, I think mathematical structures transcend, and are independent of, the human mind (forget Platonic Forms). When mathematicians make a "discovery," or solve a problem (Fermat's Last Theorem), they are bringing forth something that existed prior to their "discovery"; something that was just waiting for a human mind (or minds) to reach the level of sophistication required to "crack the code," so to speak.

Penrose identifies himself as a Platonist, but if you read on, it is in a very limited sense. He attributes the Platonic existence of the truth of Fermat's last theorem to its objectivity. He defines "objective" as "independent of cultural values and individual opinion". So far I'm with Penrose, and you seem to be as well. But under this definition "objective" is not the same thing as "eternal" or even "pre-existing".

A while ago it was raining hard here in Austin. While it was raining hard, "It is raining" was an objective truth, but it was true only temporarily, and people would disagree when it actually started and stopped.

Did Fermat's Last Theorem even exist before humans invented multiplication, let alone its shorthand of raising numbers to a power? (Fermat's Last Theorem is that if A, B and C are natural numbers, then there is no natural number N>2 such that A^N + B^N = C^N).

Many ethologists exhibit experiments that are interpreted to show their animal subjects can "count" up to fairly small numbers. Anthropologists tell us that not all adult humans can get beyond 3. I don't know of any evidence that animals can multiply.

Do snails sum infinite series and perform multiplications when they grow their shells in logarithmic spirals? I don't think so, any more than I believe a major league hitter starts solving differential equations when he sees the pattern made by the spinning red seams of the ball against the white cover, when the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.

When, even approximately, did Fermat's Last Theorem come into existence? More to the point, what difference would it make if we knew?

In fact I am genuinely curious to know why you believe mathematical structures (all mathematical structures?) transcend the human mind.

RNJ

Ahhh! Bach's Italian Concerto on the radio….there's a structure of consummate beauty which deserves to be eternal--or at least to last as long as the human race. Even played in equal-tempered tuning on the piano, not in the well-tempered tuning in which Bach conceived it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2013 21:52:07

BarkellWH

quote:

So far I'm with Penrose, and you seem to be as well. But under this definition "objective" is not the same thing as "eternal" or even "pre-existing"....In fact I am genuinely curious to know why you believe mathematical structures (all mathematical structures?) transcend the human mind.

Because, as I stated previously, I think they exist as what I can only call "symmetries" in the natural order of the universe. There are certain "symmetries" that exist independently of the human mind. Mathematical structures are among those universal "symmetries" that do not require a human mind's perception to bring them into existence. They exist whether or not a human mind perceives them.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 22 2013 23:13:43

Richard Jernigan

quote:

quote:

So far I'm with Penrose, and you seem to be as well. But under this definition "objective" is not the same thing as "eternal" or even "pre-existing"....In fact I am genuinely curious to know why you believe mathematical structures (all mathematical structures?) transcend the human mind.

Because, as I stated previously, I think they exist as what I can only call "symmetries" in the natural order of the universe. There are certain "symmetries" that exist independently of the human mind. Mathematical structures are among those universal "symmetries" that do not require a human mind's perception to bring them into existence. They exist whether or not a human mind perceives them.

Cheers,

Bill

The detailed solutions of the Standard Model are so complex that much of what we know about subatomic physics comes from studying the mathematical symmetries of the theory, and the breaking of some symmetries. But the Standard Model is so far from intuitive experience that I think most people would grant that it's a human construction, and so are the mathematical symmetries employed to draw conclusions from it.

Of course, our physical theories are constrained by the working of the universe. They have to get close enough to the right answer enough of the time to be useful. But I don't think our physical theories are fully determined by the working of the universe. I don't think our mathematical structures are fully determined by the working of the universe either.

Intuitionist mathematics, Nonstandard Analysis and the usual "standard" mathematics taught in universities these days all get the same answer when applied to physical theories, but they are quite different logical structures. Intuitionist mathematics contains fewer mathematical objects than "standard mathematics", and is logically incompatible with it. "Standard mathematics" does not contain the infinitesimals of Nonstandard Analysis. Computations which are valid in Nonstandard Analysis result in contradictions in "Standard mathematics". Yet all three yield the same rational approximations to the solution of physical problems.

Matrix mechanics was the first logically consistent theory of quantum mechanics, yet you don't hear much about it in first year quantum mechanics courses, except maybe as a footnote.

Is there a more detailed description of the "universal symmetries" you speak of, and how they determine our mathematical structures?

I'm not just pulling your leg.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 0:05:56

BarkellWH

quote:

Is there a more detailed description of the "universal symmetries" you speak of, and how they determine our mathematical structures?

My entire academic and professional career has encompassed history, foreign affairs, and national security. I am neither a mathematician nor a physicist, although I have a strong layman's interest in those fields. My belief that certain "symmetries" exist, and that they include mathematical structures independent of the human mind's perception of those structures, is based on a careful reading of tracts by mathematicians (mentioned in my previous posts in this thread) and an intuitive sense that these mathematical structures have a reality in their own right.

I cannot offer a "proof" of my position, any more than anyone can offer a "proof" that such mathematical structures do not exist as a separate reality, independent of the human mind. Nevertheless, these mathematical structures possess an elegance that matches that of other symmetries that exist in the natural world, whether or not they are perceived by a human mind. Thus, intuitively, I see no reason why mathematical structures cannot as well.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 1:32:13

guitarbuddha

quote:

I cannot offer a "proof" of my position, any more than anyone can offer a "proof" that such mathematical structures do not exist

Nevertheless, these mathematical structures possess an ELEGANCE that matches that of other symmetries that exist in the natural world, whether or not they are perceived by a human mind.

Cheers,

Bill

That first argument suggests parity with the burden of proof to prove existence with the impossibility of proving the 'nonexistence' of anything. There is no parity whatsoever.

I have put in the second phrase the word Elegance in bold. Now I personally agree with your opinion that mathematically defined structures may be beautiful. However the concept Elegance with regards to the appreciation of this is problematic. With no humans to find it so then precisely who is finding it so ?

This is the hub of the matter. You are, whether you admit it or not, substituting mathematics for the religion of your youth. You are using the same language (beauty and mystery), invoking the same arguments (insisting on parity of positive and negative proof).

The first time I pointed this out you claimed it was not your intention. And maybe it isn't your conscious intention. But your need is clear.

And we all have it.

First always the thing itself. And then only by observation Speculation without observation is always suspect until the means of observation becomes available.

Any assertion without the possibility of a means of observation should always always compel us to question motive.

And that is at least as true of politics as it is of metaphysics.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 11:30:10

BarkellWH

quote:

This is the hub of the matter. You are, whether you admit it or not, substituting mathematics for the religion of your youth. You are using the same language (beauty and mystery), invoking the same arguments (insisting on parity of positive and negative proof). The first time I pointed this out you claimed it was not your intention. And maybe it isn't your conscious intention. But your need is clear.

The elegance of symmetries found in the natural world, of which I think mathematical structures to be one, has nothing whatsoever to do with religion. I use the terms "beauty" and "mystery" to describe that elegance, not as a substitute for the "religion of my youth"; rather, to describe a phenomenon that indeed (in my opinion) possesses elegance but is difficult to "prove" or explain how it came into being. Again, I emphasize that I have for the most part intuitively come to this conclusion (albeit after delving into the works of mathematicians and philosophers from Penrose to Russell), and I fully realize that it can be (and has been) challenged by others. I can live with that and sleep well at night!

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 13:03:45

guitarbuddha

Cool Bill

I was reminded of the phrase 'My mind is a cathedral in which I am an awestruck guest.' And found this on google.

My mind’s a cathedral, exploded in
Kaleidoscopic sun-stained glass
Blood splinters, nerved and lead-veined
Ruinous bones’ veneer
Of bleeding figurines, cloaked guilt
Whispered memory lingered under skin of water
Fragrant incense smokes significant
Sip the blessed nectar!
A thousand risen Christs shall shine
Exquisite solace of the sun
A thousand silent Christs burn
So Sing! choirs of doomed gods
Out of time and out of grace
Mount the quick altar crest!
Time’s teller parses bone from marrow and
My gargoyles inform me in my empty tomb:
The wisdom tree’s roots remain

(Robert Jacoby)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 13:12:37

guitarbuddha

And also its companion.

The Reverse Funeral

Start at the empty tomb and rewind time

if you can.
Undo your dead.
Undo the dead and all their ghosts,
legion.

Do you dare call them from their tombs?

Unravel,

unearth
their mysteries,
their stuff of life.

What went wrong in the garden?
Why do you bleed?

Talk with your dead
Speak with your dead
Until you come screaming
out of them
back to you.

And know that not
all want to be raised
or need to be.
Some have had enough.
The dead roam the earth
sprung from rocks.

Our steps to the grave are watched over silently.
Leave the graveyard while you can.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 14:08:21

Ruphus

I am always with all that exposes our vulnerable characteristics of subjective being.
After all subjectivity is the core of our destructive behaviour.

However, in this case I don´t see fault with Bill´s position.
He had not claimed to be objective / only explained why he could subjectively imagine math as independent phenomenon.

- And as such I find that suggestion quite understandable.
The degree to which mathematical thesis shows to correspond with physical findings appears nearly as high as with the theory of chemistry.

( And as mentioned before, while I tried justifying my inability on chemistry in school times by pointing out that it was to be just an unproven theory anyway, later on it actually became proven by actual visibility of molecules.)

That is a bit different from the systematics in math, but parallels between the two subjects likeliness ought to be strong enough to assume mathematics as hypothecially natural too.
... If one can say so as layman.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 16:26:18

guitarbuddha

I liked the parallel with poetry.

In some ways poetry communicates concepts more effectively than either logic or semantics. Which is one of the reasons that I appreciate your unique bebop Ruphus.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 16:28:56

Richard Jernigan

quote:

I cannot offer a "proof" of my position, any more than anyone can offer a "proof" that such mathematical structures do not exist as a separate reality, independent of the human mind.

We agree.

quote:

Nevertheless, these mathematical structures possess an elegance that matches that of other symmetries that exist in the natural world, whether or not they are perceived by a human mind. Thus, intuitively, I see no reason why mathematical structures cannot as well.

Cheers,

Bill

At least one place where I believe we differ is that I have spent a fair amount of time in the company of mathematicians, some of them distinguished, and in doing mathematics myself.

Mathematicians are divided on the issue of Platonism, in part because they define it in different ways. Penrose, whom you cite as a Platonist, turns out to have a definition of Platonic existence that to me is trivial, and fails to represent the spirit of Platonism as I have encountered it among friends and acquaintances.

I have read a fair amount about the history of mathematics, the centuries of groping toward the concepts we use now. Sometimes the road forks, and produces two or more logically valid and practically applicable concepts addressing the same issues.

For example the Riemann integral and the Lebesgue integral in standard analysis both address the issues of defining and calculating length, area, volume and their generalizations. The extensions of these two structures to the Riemann-Stieltjes and Lebesgue-Stieltjes integrals extend their applicability. In the latter case, applicability extends in probability theory to integrals over spaces composed of events, not Euclidian spaces. Some of my friends have written papers on further generalizations of these concepts, published in respectable journals as original research.

The extensions make the proof of some of the standard theorems of elementary calculus more general. They put probability theory on a sound logical basis. This is the kind of thing that disposes me to see mathematics as a human activity.

I remain agnostic about the non-human existence of mathematics, since it is difficult, if not impossible for me to conceive what that might be.

Of course, mathematics has been one of our most productive tools in understanding the universe. But just as someone made the elegant set of chrome-vanadium steel wrenches my father used to work on his airplanes and automobiles, I think humans made the mathematical tools we use to understand and modify our environment.

Thanks for an engaging discussion.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 23 2013 18:54:13
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll