Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Fakemenco you like   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mark74

Fakemenco you like 

At the cost of outing myself I really like this piece and some others like it

Its really Latin jazz, but its prettier than most flamenco IMO...of course flamenco isn't always supposed to be pretty
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 18:27:25

Ricardo

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to mark74

Strunz and Farah were Highly influenced by the trio (obviously). The idea to fuse that concept with latin music certainly worked. Not super original as Di meola already doing that a la santana. but with virtuoso guitar. But at least the true South American rhythms and merengue etc latin thing was cool. I would limit it to Primal magic and Americas....after that every disc was same sound and same formula. THis guy you posted and all the rest, pretty lame and boring imitation in the face of those two albums. The soloing of strunz and farah was of course pretty one dimensional compared to their heroes. Seeing a live show I was able to sing exactly their "improvisations" before I heard them. But, at least they had some chops. The scores of imitators don't even have that.

I am a big fan of the trio however. As much as flamenco afcionados are repulsed by them, and look at it as a blemish on Paco's discography, I always found the compositions and improvisations inspiring myself, and only top level flamenco players I have met seem to be able to handle covering those tunes. And playing with others that know some of that is true joy I must admit.

I also admit to enjoy playing in that whole french rumbero genre....not just the songs but also some instrumentals are very nice especially of Mario Regis Mario Reyes, and of course tonino. Obviously they love the trio stuff too, I feel that as the main influence on those guys yet the compositions are WAY easier to cover.
ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 18:56:32

Quill

Bamboleo!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 19:44:44

aeolus

Yeah, an ensemble always works for me. A solo guitarist has a mountain to climb to entertain. And what is that weird thing slung around the one guy's neck? OK this is NOT classical...new world? Not raga I guess. But contrast this with John Mills in tux playing a folk tune. Add incense to Johanna's bit to heighten the atmosphere.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 21:00:19

Leñador

quote:

A solo guitarist has a mountain to climb to entertain.

It MUST be tough, he can't even afford shoes! lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 21:12:22

mark indigo

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 11 2013 22:22:40
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 22:20:41

[Deleted] (in reply to Ricardo

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 23:48:33

guitarbuddha

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to Guest

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2013 0:08:29

sig

Good stuff, not sure its "prettier" than flamenco but what's not to like? Man does not live by flamenco alone. I love metal, old school jazz and yes, even the occasional Jesse Cook album. Nothing wrong with well played good music and entertainment...
Sig--
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 12 2013 17:03:00

turnermoran

Any one check out IndiaLucia?

I wouldn't call it fakemenco per se, and it's obviously a fusion project, but not really flamenco either.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 0:53:09

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to turnermoran

quote:

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to mark74)

I wouldn't call it fakemenco per se, and it's obviously a fusion project, but not really flamenco either.

Im a fan for sure
Think there's a new album on the way..
Also hossam Ramzey's flamenco arabe with Jose luis Monton is a cool project ..
Not sure if that's in the fakemenco catalogue either ..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 3:04:52

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark74

At the cost of outing myself I really like this piece and some others like it

Its really Latin jazz, but its prettier than most flamenco IMO...of course flamenco isn't always supposed to be pretty

Sorry Mark I checked out that Costa Rica thing and found it really unconvincing on pretty much every level.

Am I the only one bored of rock ballad harmony masquerading as jazz ?

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 13:46:17

yourwhathurts69

None. I can't stand fakemenco. It just sounds like elevator fluff to me. I'm pretty open to other styles of music, but there's nothing more annoying than listening to the Tomatito play list on Pandora and having something like Jesse Cook thrown in the mix. It makes my ears want to throw up.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 14:19:02

z6

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to yourwhathurts69

I love fakemenco. I play it exclusively. I can't tell the difference. Maybe I'm doing it all in reverse? The more Rumba I hear the more I like it. Honestly, I'm not ready to live with an ear that detects out-of-compas stuff. I don't care. Maybe in my dottage a flamenco singer would put up with me for long enough for me to 'get it'. In the meantime I can do the right things at the wrong times by keeping it simple. If I can play a 'simple' thing right then the rest is in the future, drunk, in a bar.

I love bulerias. I can't make myself do anything but bulerias. But this fakemenco you guys post. I always fancy playing it. I like listening to Sabicas, his thumb is like liquid. But I never feel like playing it.

The trio stuff is in my dreams but there are some nice (simple?) licks that I use 'to study' picado.

The slow-downer changed my musical life (cheers Ron). Now study, for me, is either rainmanning a single groove until I find cheesy variations, and slowing down things to a pace where even I can figure it out.

I see now I am a wanna-be fake (and loving it).

I can't get over the reactions of regular folks to bulerias and rumba. Like they want to shake their stuff. It's nice. And as long as I keep time I can substitue things. It's very liberating (musically, for me). But I always read everything written here on compas. I never get when I'm supposed to start, or finish or what to do about the middle). I just copy and play along; and I use Dr. Compas all the time. It's so much fun. It's like jumping into a skipping rope. (I will write one hundred times... I must only use...)

What I mean is that if something sounds good to me I don't even understand what it means when someone detects 11 instead of 12 beats. Why does that matter? If they vamp and make up for it later. Or is it the case that top players get it wrong the way top bluesmen do (and the rest of the band follow them)?

I have so much technique to get figured. I maybe have to just fake and make exact copies in my bonce (which still hard for me, even with the convenience of loops I listen to on the train every day) and in my hands .... Right hand, it's all right hand. And I love it cause it loves all my old blues bends and vibratos. I love 'shaking' the strings, it relaxes my hands.

Maybe we need an FA section? Fakemencos Anonymous: "My name is z6 and I love fakemenco. I haven't listened to or played any for three minutes."
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 15:22:35

Ricardo

Rodrigo Aranjuez is some nice fakemenco too.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 15:45:51

guitarbuddha

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Rodrigo Aranjuez is some nice fakemenco too.

Anyone else tired of stale popcorn ?

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 16:04:09

z6

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to Ricardo

I never played the Aranjuez. I used to play the orchestral part of the slow movement in a duet in wine bars many years ago (strum, strum, strum)

I like it. It reminds me of cowboy-film music. But never liked the classical rasguedos. They were wrong, I thought. The cor anglais and the strings are nice. Long run for a short slide. Who even gets to play with an orchestra?

The funniest is when the guitarist doesn't use an amp. I've seen that, he might as well have sat in the audience and enjoyed the show. I remember Bream moaning in an interview that a conductor once deliberately speeded everything up just to annoy him. That must have been a scream to watch.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 16:07:59

z6

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to guitarbuddha

I've also read, more than once, that the aranjuez is the most popular classical piece ever written.

It would be funny if it were true and fakemenco is the pinnacle of classical popularity.

Aoleus? What gives?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 16:18:28

Leñador

quote:

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to mark74)

They are pretty cool, not fakemenco, but that is the least clever name EVER! Lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 16:21:05

aeolus

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to z6

quote:

I've also read, more than once, that the aranjuez is the most popular classical piece ever written.

It would be funny if it were true and fakemenco is the pinnacle of classical popularity.

Aoleus? What gives?

The adagio must have some claim to that as just about everyone in the musical world has taken a whack at it.
I am not sure why it would be funny but I have read, more than once, that Ottmar Liebert's Nuevo flamenco is the most popular flamenco album ever produced with sales of 100 million copies.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 16:45:48

Leñador

quote:

I am not sure why it would be funny but I have read, more than once, that Ottmar Liebert's Nuevo flamenco is the most popular flamenco album ever produced with sales of 100 million copies.

G&& DA**%IT you know better then to call it that!
Most popular Spanish guitar album maybe, NOT flamenco!
Now I gotta go smash my girlfriends copy of that cd......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 16:52:10

mark indigo

quote:

Am I the only one bored of rock ballad harmony masquerading as jazz ?
no

quote:

None. I can't stand fakemenco. It just sounds like elevator fluff to me. I'm pretty open to other styles of music
me too, I also appreciate other things than flamenco, usually jazz or classical, but can't stand this kind of thing, just seems really dull and dumbed down and boring, there are much better rumbas around if you like rumba.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 17:17:50

Mark2

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to aeolus

100 million-no way. And not flamenco anyway.

quote:

ORIGINAL: aeolus

quote]

The adagio must have some claim to that as just about everyone in the musical world has taken a whack at it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 18:13:06

mark74

I think the ballad thing maybe why I like it...its almost like I expect Sting to break in singing at any moment

What can I say, I'm a child of the 80's
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 19:34:33

mark74

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Nov. 14 2013 7:16:53
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 19:38:23

mark74

Z6 I agree with everything you wrote.

I mostly play rumba also an don't even attempt buleria or fandango and despite loving listening to them, I'm not sure its worth the time investment to try and play such technically demanding pieces.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 19:43:19

mark74

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to Quill

I don't know if I consider the GK's fakemenco, but some do.

Tonino is one of the greatest composers of the flamenco genre IMO. If I were to choose which flamenco idol I wanted to be I would choose him. Even over PdL, because I think PdL has too much pressure to perform at such an outrageous level every time he gets on stage. Plus Tonino is probably extremely rich

Great song
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 19:47:47

mark74

Great answers form everyone, I will try and check out all of the artists mentioned this weekend when I have some time

Here's another favorite fakemenco piece with Vincente and La Nina Pastori

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 19:54:11

guitarbuddha

RE: Fakemenco you like (in reply to z6

quote:

ORIGINAL: z6

As I recall it was 'The most frequently performed concerto composed in the twentieth century in the post second world war period'. Which is to say that it was far less popular than any of the major nineteenth century violin or piano concerti which continue to be performed more frequently.

It sounds more like Aaron Copeland or Elmore Bernstein to me. Far more a part of the nationalist school of post romantic classical composition than fakemenco IMHO.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 20:22:32

aeolus

quote:

Far more a part of the nationalist school of post romantic classical composition than fakemenco IMHO.

What the hell is fakemenco and how can one even include it in the same sentence with a nationalist school of post romantic classical composition. Unless one is into this whole bit tongue in cheek.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2013 20:30:09
Page:   [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post