Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Vicente Amigo guitar   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

RE: Vicente Amigo guitar (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

The way I heard it was that he visited Poncho at his shop, and played a Reyes copy, and left his real Reyes. I'm pretty sure all that is true.

Why does everybody want to copy Reyes: never heard a Gerundino????
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2013 21:46:52

Ricardo

RE: Vicente Amigo guitar (in reply to Morante

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morante

quote:

The way I heard it was that he visited Poncho at his shop, and played a Reyes copy, and left his real Reyes. I'm pretty sure all that is true.

Gerundino is good, especially for strumming and pulgar. IN general most Reyes guitars I have played had vastly superior treble response and tone. IMO. I totally get WHY they want to copy it...just never played a copy that had the same sound.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 27 2013 23:19:16

Morante

RE: Vicente Amigo guitar (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Gerundino is good, especially for strumming and pulgar. In general most Reyes guitars I have played had vastly superior treble response and tone. IMO. I totally get WHY they want to copy it...just never played a copy that had the same sound.

My opinion is that a Gerundino has as much treble as a Reyes, but it also has matices, mids and bass and so sound less trebly. Reyes have trebly trebles, trebly mids and trebly basses.

Of course it depends on what you think is an appropriate sound Good thing that there are different guitars for different tastes.

I remember trying for a good guitar sound in the studio: we had 3 top class guitars. In order of acoustic sound, Gerundino, Reyes, Conde. In order of good recorded sound, Conde, Gerundino, Reyes. We recorded with the Conde.

I understand perfectly why many professionals choose Conde. On this list, we have a group of wannabes, looking for the Holy Grail, which does not exist. Professionals have other needs.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 28 2013 13:46:48

el carbonero

Now i know the gerundino guitar, a new student of me have one from 84 .

One of the best guitar i tried but honestly my conde is better , more clear and more deep bass.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2014 12:55:57

el carbonero

and dont forget ,vicente play reyes since they robbed his conde...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2014 12:58:18

Anders Eliasson

RE: Vicente Amigo guitar (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I am still waiting for Vicente to just get a freakin conde and be done with it already.

I agree. And hopefully it will be orange with that rose rosette...
Hopefullt we will all end up being alike. Not all these diferences. 1 - 2 march forward. Not look to the sides.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2014 15:37:39

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morante

Actually Vicente owned/played a Gerundino when he was 15 (it was given to him in the early 80ties by a dutch admirer called Ad Rooymans who also made transcriptions of a couple of songs of Paco Peña). Unfortunately that Gerundino was later stolen from him.

Paco Peña owns the best Gerundinos known to me. They were childhood friends and Paco always had first choice (and obviously the hands and ears) to select/buy himself the very best ones. He sold a couple of them to his students. My father owns 1 of them which only sounds fabulous with brand new strings or when played by someone like Paco (it's a very demanding guitar that only gives what it receives so if you can't feed it's needs it will not respond). Paco still owns a couple of them himself. My father ones played his very best one (Paco was pretty nervous handing him that guitar) which was indeed a class on it's own.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2014 15:48:27

Leñador

Why is Vicente always gettin jacked??? Lol

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 3 2014 16:03:10

Tom Blackshear

RE: Vicente Amigo guitar (in reply to Ramon Amira

quote:

I also heard that VA said that the Navarro Reyes copy sounded better than his own beloved real Reyes. Well, the Reyes copies are great guitars, especially for the price, but I think it's overstating the case to say that they are better than a real Reyes, which are the greatest flamenco guitars I have ever played.

So maybe he didn't really say that, or maybe it's a marketing ploy to sell his name line. Whatever . . . If someone wants to give me a real Reyes, I think I would accept it. Oh, er . . . please make it from the mid-eighties. Thanks.

Ramon,

Due to the nature of technology and interpretive skill in building copies of a master builder, we have very good guitars coming out of the US and Mexico; although not exactly like the master, but surely near perfect models that service players for a lot less cost.

Personally, I've been told by a collector firm in California that I build a better bench copy than that of the original guitar but it was not advertised as such due to keeping the master's name in honor..but since Don Manuel has stopped building and I heard recently that Hijo is closing the shop doors due to inactivity of sales, etc, I feel it is time to support the mantle of one of the greatest flamenco builders of all time.

It's all a matter of each individual builders propio sello. I have chosen to try and magnify the basic tonal qualities as best I can but there is always going to be a difference. And please don't ask me to build one as this is to support those craftsmen who do. I have my plate full with the Miguel Rodriguez classical style.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2015 16:14:36
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote