Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Melchor to Enrique   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

getsemani

Melchor to Enrique 

Would love to know some of your reactions
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 18:06:48

Bulerias2005

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to getsemani

One of my favorite videos. Both monster players, but I definitely like Melchor more. :) And his reactions to Enrique's technique are hilarious!

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 18:23:09

johnnefastis

Yeah love this video. It's amazing how Enrique plays brilliantly but
his father has something else. Some magic and a relaxed way of playing that Enrique goes on to develop later.

Cheers
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 18:41:34

mark indigo

quote:

what's your reaction?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 19:41:50

getsemani

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo
what's your reaction?

Enrique plays first and is clearly very talented even at a young age. But i am amazed at what Melchor's soulful play accomplishes with some simple falsetas.

I thought also about the more modern players, many of whom play very quickly and very complex falsetas. They are very impressive. But if I had to choose "My" flamenco, I would choose the last 30 seconds of this video. Any day.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 20:07:24

getsemani

this too
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 20:11:37

mark indigo

quote:

I like the way that this vid pisses all over the pointless and tedious "old versus new" arguments. I like seeing the "old" and "new" hanging out on the sofa together listening to, appreciating and respecting each other.....

quote:

if I had to choose "My" flamenco, I would choose the last 30 seconds of this video.

if I had to choose "my" flamenco it would be the whole vid, right there on the sofa, not either/or, not versus, but the all of it (cante too), moving through time, from generation to generation (and don't forget neither of these guitarists are with us any more).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 21:54:35

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

I like the way that this vid pisses all over the pointless and tedious "old versus new" arguments. I like seeing the "old" and "new" hanging out on the sofa together listening to, appreciating and respecting each other.....

quote:

if I had to choose "My" flamenco, I would choose the last 30 seconds of this video.

if I had to choose "my" flamenco it would be the whole vid, right there on the sofa, not either/or, not versus, but the all of it (cante too), moving through time, from generation to generation (and don't forget neither of these guitarists are with us any more).

I agree wholeheartedly Mark.

And BIZARRELY the variety of dynamics and tone colours with which the older performer chooses to distinguish his playing have been regarded, by some on this foro, as rendering some fabulous modern interpretations (such as those by Grisha) invalid.

It really seems all too easy to confuse a desire for 'authenticity' with plain envy.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 23:16:09

getsemani

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

I agree wholeheartedly Mark.

And BIZARRELY the variety of dynamics and tone colours with which the older performer chooses to distinguish his playing have been regarded, by some on this foro, as rendering some fabulous modern interpretations (such as those by Grisha) invalid.

It really seems all too easy to confuse a desire for 'authenticity' with plain envy.

D.

to each their own...
to each their own definition of authenticity, to each their own motives for liking or disliking, be it envy or other personal reason
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 7 2013 23:38:00

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I get choked up when I watch this, reminds of my father and myself when I was a kid. Sure young people play a lot of notes, so eager to impress and do well and advance, but the cool thing is the pride his father has and his awe of what his son was doing... it is not about technique vs feeling BS again...his dad simply was tiping his hat there at the end as he knows full well how much further along the next generation was going. The clip does not show the part right before this where he says " I won't say my son is the best in spain, but I will say there is not really anyone better"....and that is sort of true. Enrique ended up right at the top with the best ever in spain, playing shoulder to shoulder with Cepero and PDL etc. Obvious Enrique was into PDL, and to be honest he was alway under rated IMO. To say his dad had something over him is silly when you consider his age and all he accomplished after this. I love melchor too, but you can't compare them in terms of level. This video was simply beautiful and shows family, tradition, and evolution all at once.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2013 5:37:35

getsemani

thanks Ricardo.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2013 6:08:55

devilhand

2 videos above are not available. Can anyone post them again for latecomers? Thanx!

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2022 13:35:17

Ricardo

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 8 2022 17:49:56

devilhand

What a player! Enrique de Melchor is almost the same age as Paco. His right hand technique looks very much the same as Paco's. He can't be imitating Paco's right hand. They must have developed it independently. Learned from the same source? I wonder who it was. Nino Ricardo, Melchor de Marchena or Ramon Montoya?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2023 21:37:54

Ricardo

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to devilhand

Most underrated flamenco player IMO. He never emphasized is amazing solo compositions because he was too busy humbly accompanying the greatest cantaores of all time. I feel lucky to have met him back in 2006, in Madrid where he was performing with various dancers.

The album cuchichi is the best for me. Here is a mislabled track:

Playback, amazing composition, same as his dad’s guitar in Rito y Geografia:

The rest of the album tracks mislabled here with great audio quality:

https://youtu.be/zlcnA0Tdjpc?si=U04M0gRyZk7--cCE
https://youtu.be/GV8wh3ksj3E?si=BWiCn5EvR9JqIFRe
https://youtu.be/ps9gVpnY53k?si=ClKSNAdLhefIa086
https://youtu.be/SRe6dKthmjU?si=2AD9DeC0JM1x9xAl
https://youtu.be/atdyn3-ir-g?si=4VPhslcNLB_Qb_T4
https://youtu.be/2CMaf4ILpFw?si=YE7Dmml3HYwb_4jA

And here is the not so well known duet with Paco de Lucia where they trade coplas of fandango:

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 20 2023 22:43:27

Stu

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

The album cuchichi is the best for me

ah yeah havent listened to that for ages. used to love it!

I know it shouldnt be relevant but something about enriques look that never sat well with me and turned me off a bit. the science teacher vibe! or history boffin. but great player
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2023 7:49:15

devilhand

RE: Melchor to Enrique (in reply to Stu

quote:

I know it shouldnt be relevant but something about enriques look that never sat well with me and turned me off a bit. the science teacher vibe! or history boffin.

It must be an incentive for everyone who wants to learn from him. Big glasses and nerdy look make you want to practice more. Time to watch his encuentro video for me now.

No glasses when he was younger. A nice camera angle in the first few sec of this video. One can see clearly the thumb position for pulgar and arpegio that every flamenco guitar beginner should be aware of. What I noticed is unlike Paco his wirst is a bit arched when playing arpegio because of his long thumb I guess.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2023 15:28:46
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote