Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Kema   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Grisha

Kema 

What do you think of his playing?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 21:32:14

Sr. Martins

RE: Kema (in reply to Grisha

The playing is very accurate, good technique.

The backing track is a bit boring.

edit - This backing track is equally boring but everything is a bit more authentic here:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 21:45:22

Elie

Bueno !!
Enjoyable and interesting speed.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 21:54:03

rombsix

Awesome.

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 22:02:15

Pgh_flamenco

His technique is advanced, but the song isn't very interesting. IMO his solo was a bit too repetitive and lacked spontaneity.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 22:15:28

Grisha

His technique is beyond advanced - it is without faults when he plays his white guitar. His picado and index down/ thumb up rasgueado are seriously brutal.

In my opinion he is capable of much more than what this rumba stuff lets him do. But I guess money wise it's the best application of his skills.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 22:17:39

rombsix

quote:

In my opinion he is capable of much more than what this rumba stuff lets him do.

Perhaps out of compas from 2:13 to 2:16 though.

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 22:37:24

Leñador

Nice find Ramz!

So it looks like he's the real deal, but maybe a bit of a (dare I say) sell out?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 22:45:34

Sr. Martins

Interesting golpeador design
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 22:56:05

pink

Yes incredible technique but he just seems to be banging it out on auto pilot maybe a little bland..... the showman is present,nothing wrong with that but I'd like to see some vegetables on the plate not just meat and potatoes .
Do prefer Ramzi's find....just my opinion though not dissing anyone else's thoughts.
Best
pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 19 2013 23:11:02

FredGuitarraOle

Wow! That's some serious playing!

He may be playing only rumbas to make a living, but his "school" was Flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 0:45:12

ToddK

Luciano, Grisha, and Kema should do a Tour as "The New Trio"

Call it "Mediterranean Moondance"

If it comes to D.C. i would certainly pay a few bucks to watch them
shred for a couple hours.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 1:22:49

Grisha

Kema is content playing with "The Gypsies". Besides, who needs Kema? We can have the new trio with members of this foro! Plus the substitutes in case someone gets sick. There are a lot of really good players here!

Todd, I have a FaceBook friend who lives in Baltimore that is a speed freak. When he practices he completely owns me in scales. His two finger scale speed is ridiculous. Plus he's a mean picker able to play comfortably above 20 notes per second.

I don't think he's too happy these days because he has no guitar friends in the area. Maybe you guys should get together and scare each other a little!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 3:46:37

rombsix

quote:

Todd, I have a FaceBook friend who lives in Baltimore that is a speed freak. When he practices he completely owns me in scales. His two finger scale speed is ridiculous. Plus he's a mean picker able to play comfortably above 20 notes per second.

Any videos? Who might that be?

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 3:48:15

Grisha

Ramzi, his name is Hatim Wahdani.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 3:52:25

Miguel de Maria

He can shred. I found him when I was tracing the rumberos from the GK, etc. It looks like the Baliardos believe facial expression while playing is tacky.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 6:11:32

Hatim

This dude is the fastest picado player (2 fingers picado). But grisha's 3 fingers technique is beyond fast. (He can play bumblebee at 300).
Just ease up with the boring stuff comments and give respect when it is due. if you think he is boring or can't keep a compas post a video of yourself and scare the hell out of us :)
Peace.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 20:02:55

jg7238

Wow, that is some amazing playing. That might be the best picado I have seen yet. Very powerful, clear and insanely fast. Heavy duty material for sure.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 20:26:03

Elie

Hatim, are you the same Hatim Grisha mentioned earlier ?
if so, show us some videos

Salam !

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 20 2013 21:05:28

rombsix

RE: Kema (in reply to Hatim

quote:

can't keep a compas

Everyone has lapses in compas every now and then, from Paco and onward. It's obvious the guy can play, and that is why I added a smiley with its tongue sticking out after my comment.

Salam!

Ramzi

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2013 4:51:53

el carbonero

The solists of gypsie rumba do 95% of picado in a concert,so they works much this technique,it's normal they are good.
Kema is phenomenal in that.

But grisha, kema will never get your pulgar,tremolos arpegio ...techniques.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2013 9:05:26

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

His technique is beyond advanced - it is without faults when he plays his white guitar. His picado and index down/ thumb up rasgueado are seriously brutal.

Actually his skills are so exceptional that i seriously wonder if we are dealing with some kind of cyborg, programed to play the guitar. Speaking about cyborgs, at the end of "the terminator" he is trapped into a machine with all kinds of moving parts coming at him. I always have the biggest fun imagining myself one of those moving parts would mark him with the old dutch quality recommendation "Goedgekeurd door de Nederlandse Vereniging van Huisvrouwen" (approved by the dutch assosation of house wives). We also have another famous 90 year old quality mark that approves/seconds the electrical trustability of (semi) electrical machines. That mark is called KEMA KEUR (kema check)......... KEMA KEUR/KEMA .......you know what i mean ( nudge nudge, wink wink)...... say no more, say no more.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 21 2013 10:07:25

Ricardo

Probably the best of the french rumberos. But as far a paco picado copy dudes, again I must point out this guy is not as good as those guys in Madrid. Cerreduela Rey Rosario Banderas etc etc.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 16:32:40

jg7238

RE: Kema (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

But as far a paco picado copy dudes, again I must point out this guy is not as good as those guys in Madrid. Cerreduela Rey Rosario Banderas etc etc.

I am afraid I have to disagree here. Maybe I have to see other picado patterns Kema plays but I think he is right there with those guys as far as picado goes.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 17:18:46

Grisha

Kema is a monster. Enough said.

Cerreduela and Rey are great guitarists and musicians, but their picado can't match Kema's. It is definitely fast enough, though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 18:24:19

jg7238

quote:

Kema is a monster. Enough said.

That is exactly what I felt like saying on my previous post but I was waiting for someone to post what you said.

You give me 1 month of hardcore practice on that white guitar and I wont be intimidated by him though.. jk
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 18:37:46

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

What do you think of his playing?

Killer playing. Period.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 19:49:40

Erik van Goch

The guy definitely made a severe study of (his) biomechanics. When i studied the subject in the late 80ties i came to a similar plan of approach as Kema, but unlike him i never took my findings into serious action.

When i studied biomechanics seriously for the first time i soon discovered that my fingers generally functioned better when i played with relatively stretched fingers. For picado i discovered that my hand/fingers functioned significantly better when the distance between fingers and thump was (i believe) 2 or 3 strings. So in order to play picado the best possible way on the B/E strings my thump idealistically should be positioned on the D string and when migrating from treble>base side my thump consequently should walk from d>a>e string before being lifted the usual way.

When i studied Paco de Lucia he seemed to favor a similar (optimal) distance between thump and fingers, but without embracing my idea to maintain that distance at all times. In stead he favored to keep his thump posted on the lower E-string when playing the treble stings, varying the distance between thump and fingers by "stretching" the thump/hand (playing the various treble strings again corresponded with 3 different stages of thump string contact ......tip only, half planted and "fully" planted in line with lowering/raising the hand). His thump leaves the E string when the picado crosses the G>D area (restoring his optimal/natural thump/finger distance when playing the base strings).

Since i trust my body more then i trust mindless copying of Paco de Lucia i did study playing picado for a wile with my thump migrating between E and D string, trying to find ways to deal with the resulting string/thump interaction the best possible way. Since that was very tricky i never gave it my best shot on the long run and i totally love it that Kema perfected that idea. The way his index seems to be totally still and glued to the string every now and then is totally incredible. All his moves are incredible economical, both in picado and other techniques.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 23 2013 21:45:57

Ruphus

Agreed.
I think technically his picado is executed in the same way like the perfect tremolo of the balalaika players. One hits rest providing the preload for the next.
Can you see the virtual pic bending before the next pluck.

Just as much as the picado I liked his abanico.
Such is the wirst that I am after when exercising. Unfortunately it sets in only occasionally and returns to inaccesible again.

Actually I deem such twist ( whether in makro or micro dimensions) as essential for about all kind of technique.

Whatever you can spare the fingers, delegate it to upper limbs. To that wrist, and then ... the lower arm, upper one, shoulder, spine ... and if lucky enough to be standing ... pelvis, knees and feet.

That apparatus called "whole body" or so.
The wrist just appearing a bit outstanding in that chain, as it seems to be the gearbox between the final limbs and the whole appendix.
Or maybe better to say the other way round, from body to fingers.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2013 0:14:21

machopicasso

quote:

I have a FaceBook friend who lives in Baltimore that is a speed freak. When he practices he completely owns me in scales. His two finger scale speed is ridiculous.

Curiously, Grisha, is the person to whom you're referring a Russian guitarist studying at Peabody Conservatory?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 24 2013 8:54:21
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post