Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Kema   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

pink

RE: Kema (in reply to guitarbuddha

Put with eloquence GB ...perhaps my veg ,meat and potatoes was not the done approach.... good to have you back!!

Best as always

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2013 20:50:29

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

I am impressed that an artist of your stature can be so earnestly admiring of the accomplishments of others.

Dito!
I think Grisha is a nice down to earth guy and all comitted to the art / not entangled in vanity at all.
-

Not saying this to simultaneously indicate any vanity of others in this thread. In the opposite, did I find the different views all understandable in their own right.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2013 21:58:01

guitarbuddha

RE: Kema (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

I think Grisha is a nice down to earth guy and all comitted to the art / not entangled in vanity at all.
-

Ruphus

So true, the lad travels light and yet we all weigh him down with our baggage.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 28 2013 22:08:32

[Deleted] (in reply to Arash

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2013 15:47:51

Ricardo

quote:

What do you think of this jam ? Picked almost at random with two very different players.

Well, different guitars, but stylistically very similar, and speed/level wise they are perfect match. A good example of what I meant about players of certain calibur having fun together. It would still be cool to see a rumbero playing with these guys for a totally different flavor that would still work IMO (if the flamenco player put capo at 1 and played por taranto of course!).

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 29 2013 20:26:28

guitarbuddha

RE: Kema (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

I would not be scared to jam with him, but those guys in madrid are damn scary.

Ricardo

The thing that scares me most in a jam is consistent bad taste in another solosit or a rhythm section with no dynamics or ear for phrasing.
Oh and breaking a nail.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 15:58:04

Grisha

RE: Kema (in reply to pink

Thank you my friends for your kind words. I simply know very well what I can and cannot do. Kema's skill falls into category of things that I cannot. So do many things that other players mentioned in this thread are capable of.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 18:53:56

pink

RE: Kema (in reply to Grisha

Grisha,
And whoever feels or wants to take some thing from what I am about to say.
The eye and ear of the beholder is a powerfully destructive
tool which, irrelevant of ability ,can render that same individual in a state of false / blinkered opinion.
We all want to be better....regardless of our ability or who we ultimately are. Let's take Grisha,
Ricardo, me and postman pat as our examples.
Our two first named examples are ,in comparison to myself and our imaginary figure, gods of their chosen fields....not to say that my strength in being a gobby, English ,moronic fool and Pats 'command of red vans ,cats and letter boxes aren't achievements in their own rights.
Grisha, I listen to all you say and respect ,without question your reasons for admiration re: Kema. His ability is without doubt ,astounding. However he aint got that thang.
There is a lot in technique... I accept that, but style ,groove, feel ,mojo, sparkle, ****, grunt ,attitude, contagiousness, touch, feel are what most of us aspire to 'have'....not just a technical ability which forgets emotion. Now you,Ricardo and a few others on this forum have bucket loads of these attributes plus other qualities I probably couldn't even spell.
Kema, has probably got some of this stuff going on ,but not from what I've seen in the posts so far and you know what...I haven't been made to want to check him out else where. You ,Ricardo, Bursche and John Walsh and others from this forum I have.
Now my opinion isn't exclusive i know that ,but to me, its part of my life and matters.
You guys as mentioned along with a few other 'named' players , are the dogs ****,awesome fantastic ,just there.
You've got your heroes, you've got bits or a touch that you want to achieve as players but, to so many on here you guys have that thing going on . You've worked at it , you've earned it , f.u.c.k.I.n. respect to you all ....,and Keema too but ,more so to you guys from where I stand.
Yes there is some technically good stuff happening with him but that touch is too mechanical for me.
Hope this isn't too insulting to anyone,...it isn't meant to be!!

Best

pink

By the way, Stephen Faulk I've called your number and I think its time you came back and started to re contribute. You are missed.
Best
pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 21:31:14

Mark2

Do Kema and all the other rumberos really just want to be Paco? Want to play with the trio? I really don't know, but I don't think anyone else does either. The GK gig is pretty sweet. Seems like from the videos posted Kema spends a lot more time working on his gig than practicing flamenco.

The fact, or opinion, that he couldn't do the trio gig-does that really matter? He isn't doing the trio gig. He is doing a very good job at what he is doing, and his picado, no matter that his lines aren't the most interesting ever, is really really good.

Trying to be Paco, or even wanting to be Paco, is fruitless IMO.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 22:40:43

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: pink

Let's take Grisha, Ricardo, me and postman pat as our examples.

I happen to be a postman as well :-)

If there's one person that appreciates good story telling over all other skills it's me, but like Grisha i can't help being highly impressed by Kema's exceptional technical skills. With his skills added to mine i would have an even bigger pallet of potential colors and possibilities.

I happen to like your posts..... i haven't posted a lot of videos myself (yet) but feel free to google me on youtube (you might like my Tarantas tremolo...i'm actually wearing my postman's uniform in that video :-).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 22:43:39

pink

RE: Kema (in reply to Erik van Goch

Erik,
I hope I didn't offend by not including all names,yours included,of guys I really respect as players from the foro...come to it guys I respect period , the list could and would be a long one.
I do get the technical ability bit ,but just don't get anything from it in his case...it doesn't fill me with that majic ...I do get the hours of pain,sacrifice and so on but I just don't feel that sparkle...sorry!
It really is about that for me....groove,emotion ,texture.....some technique granted, I'd be telling lies if that wasn't in there somewhere.
I'm also not looking for a player to be someone else....to have flavours of a mixture of others yes ,but to have a sparkle which appears to be 'them' is what I am after.
The uniform can help ...but only if the fit brings out the wearers own shape .....bet you look most excellent in yours!!
Very best to you Erik

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 23:05:48

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: pink

Erik,
I hope I didn't offend by not including all names,yours included,of guys I really respect as players from the foro...come to it guys I respect period , the list could and would be a long one.
pink

Don't worry, POSTMAN was the word that triggered me. On top there are far better players then me on the foro and naming all good players would indeed result in a long list :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 30 2013 23:43:52

affect

I am surprised no one mentioned that Kema is the grand-son of Manitas de Plata. Therefore, it is no surprise that he falls into the tradition of French Romani rumba fusion. I personally only listen to this stuff occasionally, though I appreciate the art and effort that goes into it. I have to admit that I do feel annoyed when people think that Flamenco is GK or Manitas! I usually mention Pepe Habichuela (not Paco), but I'm pressed to find an understanding ear!

Incidentally, only the French version of the Wikipedia GK page mentions the relation to Manitas:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_and_the_Gypsies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_and_the_Gypsies

Weird!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 4:51:06

ToddK

quote:

I am surprised no one mentioned that Kema is the grand-son of Manitas de Plata.

You just mentioned it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 5:19:42

Grisha

I wanted to mention, but decided not to. He's been around rumberos all his life, Manitas or not.

Would be nice to have Stephen back... He is no Bilbo, so he can't leave in the same manner.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 5:22:30

Ricardo

quote:

I simply know very well what I can and cannot do. Kema's skill falls into category of things that I cannot.

So you actually tried that easy tune those simple 6 tuplets up and down at 126 bpm like Kema and you COULDN"T handle it??? Sorry I can't believe that man. And further, I see what this guy can do and he looks right at the edge of his ability. I doubt in all honesty he could do that scale exercise that you did (can't find it) where you just do C major in short bits up and down and add a new note each time until you do the entire scale across 6 strings and then reverse it by removing a note. I mean at the speed you did it it was an extremely difficult exercise in stamina....unlike this simple 6's like he always does in every song.

It's a different view point than your own but it's how I see it sorry man.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 15:37:48

Grisha

This thing? It's not that hard, really, and doesn't go too fast. The exercise is supposed to be twice as long until it reaches the beginning point. But thanks for your confidence in me, Ricardo!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 15:50:41

athrane77

I agree with Ricardo. I always thought you're the fastest player Grisha, that vid Ricardo is talking about blow me away everytime I see it, and well, Kema doesn't blow me away. Maybe there is some misunderstanding going on here? I just can't believe that you think Kema has a better/faster/or whatever picado than you.
Anyway you seem to be a very friendly and humble guy, but you don't have to underrate yourself that much

quote:

It's not that hard, really, and doesn't go too fast

yeah sure maybe the psychologists should check you up and make sure that you're not going insane
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 15:53:46

Leñador

That's obsurd! I'm gunna have to agree with Ricardo, I don't think Kema can do that, that's beyond fast twitch muscle fibers....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 15:55:13

chester

What's with this circle jerk hate fest on Kema?

The guy is more successful than any of the posters in this thread, and he does have that 'spark' in his playing or else he wouldn't be playing big gigs in front of huge crowds.

It's very heartfelt that everyone here is turning on him in an attempt to make Grisha feel better about himself, but Grisha - are you really that insecure?

You know, Grisha AND Ricardo AND Paco AND Kema can ALL BE GOOD AT THE SAME TIME.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 17:29:48

guitarbuddha

RE: Kema (in reply to chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: chester

It's very heartfelt that everyone here is turning on him in an attempt to make Grisha feel better about himself, but Grisha - are you really that insecure?

Grisha asked a simple question 'What do you think of his playing?'. I tendered an answer.

Who changed the question and why ? Let's ask Kevin Spacey.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 17:46:51

chester

Yes, you're not part of the communal circlejerk. You've got one of your own going on...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 18:05:30

Bulerias2005

I think any guitarist topic inevitably turns into -- or is hijacked to be -- a ****-measuring contest, unfortunately... success isn't a limited good, guys, I'm pretty sure that that theory was only held as true by traditional societies. :)

It's especially funny because the thread started innocuously enough -- "what do you think of his playing?"

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 18:56:52

jg7238

quote:

By the way, I find the scale that Antonio Rey played in the first video to be fun to practice. It feels to be the perfect length and gives you quite a few challenges.

I agree.. Here is my turtle speed version compared to yours.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 19:01:13

Grisha

Ole!!! Great control there. Sounds like you have a good amount of reserve.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 19:08:51

pink

Quote:

''What's with this circle jerk hate fest on Kema?''
End Quote

I don't hate Kema period......strong word and totally wrong. I just don't 'get off 'on his playing in the same way I do with others.
Now talking about 'getting off ',I have to say I've always enjoyed a good w.a.n.k, jerk toss or however you wish to phrase it . That finger technique is a honed style I have which has always pleased me cause that's the magic ingredient with self pleasure MEcado.

Best

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 19:09:10

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: chester

Yes, you're not part of the communal circlejerk. You've got one of your own going on...

Really, how self aware you are.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 19:17:28

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

Ole!!! Great control there. Sounds like you have a good amount of reserve.

Sure does.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 19:19:19

Leñador

quote:

and he does have that 'spark' in his playing or else he wouldn't be playing big gigs in front of huge crowds.

I don't think you need any spark to sell to huge crowds, you just have to make music that the half brain masses can move there arse to, no thinking, no surprises. That and good marketing.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 20:22:38

n85ae

RE: Kema (in reply to Bulerias2005

Similar things happens on all the hobby related forums I belong to. Then if you post
to the contrary the people who forgot to take their meds, or badly need some send
their little PM's.

quote:

I think any guitarist topic inevitably turns into -- or is hijacked to be -- a ****-measuring contest, unfortunately... success isn't a limited good, guys, I'm pretty sure that that theory was only held as true by traditional societies. :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 31 2013 20:27:16
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4] 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post