Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: emotion in music in general and flamenco in particular   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

Furthermore, we have no way to combine the effects of gravity on space-time with particle physics which deals with the components of matter at subatomic levels.

For me, duality simply IS TRUTH...it does not matter if we can't describe it in a singular way. Look at this way, if it were NOT truth, then it wouldn't exist. A quarter is 25 cents no matter if it is heads or tails. Newton is truth, and so is Einstein. Otherwise we would not be even using Newton anymore. Who says truth = complete knowledge of everything???

I don't know what you mean by the word "duality" here.

Wave/particle duality? That's just a phrase that was cooked up to describe the deeply counter-intuitive subatomic world . It has no role in quantum field theory.

Conflicting versions of truth being equally valid? I have a problem with that. The major problem with considering Newtonian physics as "truth" is that it is false. It is demonstrably, measurably false. It gives the wrong answer to the precession of the perihelion of Mercury.

http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/node98.html

It's wrong in a number of other ways. If Newtonian physics were not demonstrably wrong, Einstein wouldn't have been famous. To find out how wrong Newtonian physics is, you have two alternatives: experiment, and employment of a more accurate theory. Experiment is the desideratum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity

Newtonian physics gives approximately the right answer in many practical applications, and is easier to apply and more intuitive for most people. That's why it is still used. Not because it is true, in the sense that mathematical theorems are true.

A slight detour:

Euclidean geometry is true, regarded as mathematics: IF a THEN b.

Euclidean geometry is useful for designing and building a house, because it comes close enough to the truth to enable drawing plans, ordering materials, cutting things up and nailing them together. The "IF a" part is not quite satisfied. But the usefulness of Euclidean geometry lies in the fact that you're pretty close to the "IF a" part, then the "THEN b" part can be pretty close to right as well. Note that I said "can be" not "is".

Back to the main road:

The problem with particle physics and general relativity is that when general relativity is applied to the subatomic world, experiments contradict its predictions. It is demonstrably false in this regime. Yet it is the most accurate theory of the universe at large scales devised so far.

I have a hard time accepting the argument that something is true because it is still used. Consider an extreme case. There are four major religions flourishing on the planet. Each contradicts the others. They can't all be true. At least one of them has to be wrong. Yet each has billions of believers, whose behavior is influenced by their beliefs. I don't think that makes all of them true.

Physical theories, like religions, are the products of the human intellect, a notoriously fallible entity. I have a hard time accepting that something is true just because people still use it. People think they can predict the stock market. They spend countless man-hours working at it, and lose billions of dollars betting on the results. Sometimes they get lucky, and they are declared to be geniuses. Other people imitate them and lose their a$$ and all the fixtures.

The scientific attitude is one of the deepest possible skepticism. Theories are applied, but people are always on the lookout for a wrong prediction, and many are prepared to propose a modification of a theory, or to discard it altogether and start with a clean sheet of paper. When the discovery of the Higgs Boson was announced, there was a chorus of disappointment from many particle physicists. They regretted the disappearance of an opportunity for new discoveries.

One of my close friends is a founder of the Academy of Forensic Engineering. He wins court cases all the time with Newtonian physics. I'm sure some judges and juries think his calculations are true. But if you ask him, he'll say the calculations are accurate enough to arrive at a legal decision.

What's the difference between this result and truth? My friend knows how to calculate how close he has come to the truth.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 18:39:38

El Kiko

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Dear Mr Jernigan ,,

While I enjoy reading your posts, and of others, do you ever write posts that are short and to the point. ?
Maybe 1 or 2 sentences ?

Like this ?

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 19:00:15

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Kiko

Dear Mr Jernigan ,,

While I enjoy reading your posts, and of others, do you ever write posts that are short and to the point. ?
Maybe 1 or 2 sentences ?

Like this ?

Brevity is no gaurantee of gettin to th
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 20:17:59

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

quote:

Dear Mr Jernigan ,,

Maybe 1 or 2 sentences ?

Like this ?

Brevity is no gaurantee of gettin to th

Nahhh...once I get wound up, I just.....

Fact is, the last job I had, for many years, I spent an average of at least one day a week writing, probably more. I got fairly fast. Given the poor quality of what I put up here, I can probably write it about as fast as it can be read.

Plus I'm bored today. Circumstances prevent some of my usual activities, so I sit at the keyboard, giving the world the benefit of my deep thoughts.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 22:12:48

El Kiko

If at first you don't succeed,.... failure may be your style.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 22:38:24

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

Plus I'm bored today. Circumstances prevent some of my usual activities, so I sit at the keyboard, giving the world the benefit of my deep thoughts.

RNJ

Well Richard it could be much worse.

I saw this coming so I typed this on the last page.

So I just typed 'Truth' into google and guess what, no hits. I typed again... the same. Third time the charm and the ghost of Feynman himself appeared, he was clearly in some distress and under some kind of compulsion. As his mask of pain eased momentarily he said, through gritted teeth,

'Google has instructed me to inform you that no definition of truth may be offered until a unified field theory has been formulated... although Google is of course itself fully aware of the unified field theory it has decided to allow humanity to discover it at it's own pace...... because of free will and whatnot....'

'Surely', I shouted in mounting panic, 'There are other truths within the realms of human experience ? Other perspectives........love....the smell of fresh coffee gurgling smiling babies ...... snickers bars !!!!'

Luckily Richard managed a smile and said

' Well my mum always said ''Boys will be Boys'''

So there we have it.

Did my attempts to head off this particular impasse lead to anything. No not in the least. The tone perhaps too facetious (perhaps ), the allusions obvious to me but possibly objectively arcane. The hint that truth must obviously be rooted in the human experience ......ignored. The lighthearted admission of the infantile nature of all such musings, and intended to include myself as possibly the worst offender also ignored. The Richard of course Richard Feynman ( a noted provocateur as Ricardo's quote demonstrates)

So when Kiko chided you (in his own good natured way) I chided back because I appreciated your generosity in taking the time to flesh out my all too sketchy allusions.

Still at least we have yet to descend into a discussion on the existence of parallell universes which would be allowed by the formulation of a unified theory which would permit tinkerings with the cosmological constant that didn't lead to negative possiblilites.

If we reached that point then we would of course have to all decant to the all to depressing parallel thread. Or brush up on our Philip K Dick.

@Ricardo if you enjoy Feynman then you might enjoy Steven Weissberg's 'Dreams of a Final Theory' He fleshes out Mr Jernigans observations on the limitations of both Newtonian mechanics and the standard model. He also has a refreshing take on the nature of beauty and is always at pains to point out the difference between what he knows and what he hopes for.

And of course truth is a term with manifold definitions. And in coining the phrase 'The Wisdom of Clowns' I was of course attempting to include myself by equipping myself with a red nose and bow tie. Of course the wisdom of crowds is only appropriate for some definitions of truth. For example a consensus taken of the physical shape of the earth taken in the fifth century would be very unlikely to provide us with the correct answer.

And so finally with that last allusion to the abuse of statistics and the frequent overstatement of their power we find ourselves back on topic. You know this threads original topic ..... about surveys.

Anyway sorry Kiko, there you have a long post with no style or brevity.......

now.....where did I put my beer.

D.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 22:52:25

guitarbuddha

quote:

So true Kiko............

Ah, the wisdom of clowns.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 22:54:23

Richard Jernigan

quote:

Or if you never even try to be brief, you probably won't be.

I write most of them as much to straighten out my own thought process as for any desire to inform or convince.

I don't set out intending to bore people, so if you're bored, it's voluntary. Just move on.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 23:22:35

mark indigo

quote:

I write most of them as much to straighten out my own thought process as for any desire to inform or convince.

I don't set out intending to bore people, so if you're bored, it's voluntary. Just move on.

I generally find your posts succinct and to the point, not to mention thoughtful, intelligent and interesting, and however "long" they are they never seem too long. Unlike some barely intelligible long-posters here.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 23:56:56

BarkellWH

Having spent a career as a diplomat in the US Foreign Service, much of my time was occupied drafting reporting cables back to the State Department. One of the most important things I learned as a junior diplomat was the importance of concision and clarity. Otherwise no one in Washington would read your cables. What that meant in practical terms was using nouns and verbs, and keeping adjectives and adverbs to the absolute minimum.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 23:58:43

hamia

quote:

RNJ

I think Richard sets the bar pretty high for interesting and well-reasoned posts. You can't please all the people all the time ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2013 3:03:36

estebanana

Richard tells fabulous stories, 99.9 percent of which are totally true. But watch out for that .09 percent , he will pull your leg off.

And I was thinking today about how math people work, they are using numbers to create poetry. And poets do calculus with words.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2013 5:06:54

BarkellWH

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to hamia

quote:

I think Richard sets the bar pretty high for interesting and well-reasoned posts.

Having had the good fortune of meeting Richard for dinner in Texas a couple of years ago, I can attest to the fact that he is as interesting and as good company in person as he is on the Foro.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2013 9:43:20

hamia

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

quote:

I think Richard sets the bar pretty high for interesting and well-reasoned posts.

Having had the good fortune of meeting Richard for dinner in Texas a couple of years ago, I can attest to the fact that he is as interesting and as good company in person as he is on the Foro.

Cheers,

Bill

I don't doubt it. And I think between the two of you you've pretty much covered the entire globe at one time or another. I can imagine an interesting exchange of anecdotes.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2013 14:58:45

El Kiko

Unequivocally .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 13 2013 16:54:50

Ricardo

quote:

I don't know what you mean by the word "duality" here.

What I mean is, you have no choice but to describe reality of the Earth using different (and contradicting) descriptions. A Large ball like object made of mostly protons, neutrons and electrons that obeys both quantum rules, and relativity rules, depending on the scale you choose to look at. The two descriptions together are "truth", not only one or the other, and changing or refining the descriptions doesn't really change the fact the earth simply is what it is. And that's ok for me because I notice dualities and contradictions everywhere in nature and life. It's just something about us and how we perceive things, but it doesn't change what the truth is.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 7:20:31

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Ricardo

OK, I get it now. The duality of the scientific point of view is that scientists realize their theories are intellectual constructions, not "truth" or "reality", yet there is a very strong feeling that the theories reflect reality in some essential way.

The difference between your viewpoint and the scientific one is that physicists are unwilling to put up with the contradiction between relativity and particle physics. They feel that the contradiction indicates there is something basic they fail to understand, so they keep looking for a new perspective that will get them closer to the truth.

The history of physics has been finding new knowledge through repairing defects in the current theory.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 17:22:54

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Richard tells fabulous stories, 99.9 percent of which are totally true. But watch out for that .09 percent , he will pull your leg off.

Story telling is an old southern/southwestern/Mexican tradition. It ran deep and strong in my father's side of the family. But the tradition is beginning to fade. Too many yankees moving to Texas, kids watching too much TV.

The outstanding story teller I know of my generation is a fellow math and physics student at the University of Texas. Often when I travel around Texas and the subject of my university days comes up, I am asked whether I know him. He has an engaging and colorful story for every occasion. When the story is particularly colorful and amusing, some listener will ask, "Did that really happen?"

The question is put, not to determine the truth or falsity of the story, but to elicit the inevitable response, delivered with a puckish grin, "Based on fact. Absolutely, based on fact."

RNJ

...but I don't remember telling Stephen any stretchers....hmmm...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 17:58:07

guitarbuddha

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Story telling is an old southern/southwestern/Mexican tradition. It ran deep and strong in my father's side of the family. But the tradition is beginning to fade. Too many yankees moving to Texas, kids watching too much TV.

The outstanding story teller I know of my generation is a fellow math and physics student at the University of Texas. Often when I travel around Texas and the subject of my university days comes up, I am asked whether I know him. He has an engaging and colorful story for every occasion. When the story is particularly colorful and amusing, some listener will ask, "Did that really happen?"

The question is put, not to determine the truth or falsity of the story, but to elicit the inevitable response, delivered with a puckish grin, "Based on fact. Absolutely, based on fact."

RNJ

...but I don't remember telling Stephen any stretchers....hmmm...

You gotta love Cormac Mcarthy's take on the Texan story telling tradition. As a Texan himself I am sure Cormac is being affectionate.

Two mountain lions escape from the L.A. Zoo. They decide to get out of California. When they get to Oklahoma, they decide to split up to shake off their pursuers. One goes south to Texas and the other heads north.

A few months later, the one which had headed north decided to go see how the one in Texas was faring. He trots on down and finds a thin, mangy, starving creature that used to be his friend.

“What happened to you?”

“I’ve been eating Texans, and there’s just no nutrition in them.”

“Let’s go hunting. You need some food.”

So they go hunting. Pretty soon they come to a Circle K and wait by the pick up truck for the owner. A 5’6”, 200 pound, bearded, red T shirted man carrying a case of Lone Star steps out. The starving mountain lion jumps out, roars, attacks the man and eats him.

The other mountain lion pads over, shaking his head side to side, “There’s your problem. Your scaring the **** of them. Don’t you know when you scare the **** out of a texan, there’s nothing left but skin and bones?”

(From 'The Crossing')

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 18:11:57

guitarbuddha

Here is a statement of truth formulated by a man who spent some considerable time considering his first principles.

'I think therefore I am.'

Note that this classic claim of truth is modest enough to admit the INDIVIDUAL nature of objective truth.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 18:29:02

aeolus

quote:

You gotta love Cormac Mcarthy's take on the Texan story telling tradition. As a Texan himself I am sure Cormac is being affectionate.

Two mountain lions escape from the L.A. Zoo. They decide to get out of California. When they get to Oklahoma, they decide to split up to shake off their pursuers. One goes south to Texas and the other heads north.

A few months later, the one which had headed north decided to go see how the one in Texas was faring. He trots on down and finds a thin, mangy, starving creature that used to be his friend.

“What happened to you?”

“I’ve been eating Texans, and there’s just no nutrition in them.”

“Let’s go hunting. You need some food.”

So they go hunting. Pretty soon they come to a Circle K and wait by the pick up truck for the owner. A 5’6”, 200 pound, bearded, red T shirted man carrying a case of Lone Star steps out. The starving mountain lion jumps out, roars, attacks the man and eats him.

The other mountain lion pads over, shaking his head side to side, “There’s your problem. Your scaring the **** of them. Don’t you know when you scare the **** out of a texan, there’s nothing left but skin and bones?”

(From 'The Crossing')

That's not a tall tale that's a dumb joke. I think J. Frank Dobie was the genuine article for Texas stories. We had a copy of Coronado's Children around the house growing up that I read and read and then read it again. I still have it. It's about buried treasure and lost mines.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 18:38:55

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to aeolus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aeolus

That's not a tall tale that's a dumb joke. I think J. Frank Dobie was the genuine article for Texas stories. We had a copy of Coronado's Children around the house growing up that I read and read and then read it again. I still have it. It's about buried treasure and lost mines.

Who said it was a tale ? I said it was a take, or perhaps a ruefull mia culpa, by a native Texan. If Cormac can laugh at himself and a tradition of which he is a paramount component then why shouldn't he and I share the joke...... with genuine affection ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 18:43:19

BarkellWH

quote:

Glad to see another reader who appreciates Cormac McCarthy, GuitarBuddha. One small correction, though. Cormac McCarthy is not a Texan. He was born in Rhode Island, and at the age of four his family moved to Knoxville, Tennessee, where he grew up.

I very much enjoyed The Border Trilogy: "All the Pretty Horses," "The Crossing," and "Cities of the Plain." But by far I think his masterpiece, and one that is already considered an American literary classic, is "Blood Meridian." It is about a group of scalp-hunters on the Texas-Mexico borderlands around 1848-1850, and is loosely based on an actual group of scalp-hunters known as the Glanton Gang, after their leader John Joel Glanton

The story is incredibly violent, but beautifully written. Some critics have compared it to Melville's "Moby Dick," as it contains themes of Good and Evil, with elements of Zoroastrian-Manichaeism and Gnosticism, as well as Theodicy (The philosophical or theological attempt to justify the existence of that which is good in a world which contains so much evil).

In my opinion, it is McCarthy's masterpiece. I don't see how he could ever surpass it.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 18:49:25

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to BarkellWH

Thank you for the correction Bill

Blood Meridian is terrific and contains the most powerful and graphic horror scene in all of my limited knowledge of literature. I always found it confusing in my scholarly edition that the comparison made was with Mobie Dick. When it is even more clearly Treasure Island.

To my mind his genuine attempt at the great American novel, where he wears on his sleeve his adoration of Joyce and unrestrained literary ambitions, is Suttree.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 18:53:53

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

(From 'The Crossing')

D.

This recycles an ancient Texan cliche. There have been hundreds of variations on the theme. Sammy Allred was an Austin radio personality. He couldn't say it on his show, but when Robert Kennedy was running for President, Sammy was known all over town for saying, "Why, if you gave that boy a haircut and an enema, he would disappear altogether."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 20:56:07

guitarbuddha

quote:

t when Robert Kennedy was running for President, Sammy was known all over town for saying, "Why, if you gave that boy a haircut and an enema, he would disappear altogether."

RNJ

Democracy is a noble tradition. Yet so often indistinguishable from the wisdom of clowns.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 21:30:04

aeolus

From what I have read the politics of Austin have change considerably since those days. I remember when students could vote they voted out the old guard much to their fury. You know the white business establishment types.
But the reactionaries are pushing back against the "liberal" profs undermining the moral fiber. There was something on the news about the University being put on a business model or something like that. I don't pay to much attention to my alma mater these days tho' I cherish the memories of my time there. Actually Texas has been so thoroughly trashed I don't really want to return. We used to swim over to the southern tip of Padre from Boca Chica there being no bridge to the island. Now its a mess with overbuilding as is Port Aransas. It was pristine in the early forties tho' the navy had the run of the place with artillery emplacements in the dunes. I hate to dredge up a cliche but you can't go back. Brownsville much the same. the Kenedy's gave their plot in the B'ville cemetery to my grandmother when they moved Mifflin and Petra to the Catholic cemetery as they feared correctly that the care could not be
relied upon . They left poor Adrian Vidal (executied by the French at Camargo age 21)behind and the metal enclosure has been destroyed. I guess there's no profit in the marble headstone so that's safe. The museum in Sarita has a mural of Adrian as a pistolero. I think I'll write them to move his remains up there.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 14 2013 21:36:28

estebanana

quote:

This recycles an ancient Texan cliche. There have been hundreds of variations on the theme. Sammy Allred was an Austin radio personality. He couldn't say it on his show, but when Robert Kennedy was running for President, Sammy was known all over town for saying, "Why, if you gave that boy a haircut and an enema, he would disappear altogether."

RNJ

One of the streaming variations on the saying : He's all hat and no cattle.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 15 2013 0:04:36
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote