Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: emotion in music in general and flamenco in particular   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

One of the pleasing points of talking to you chaps out there is the confirmation that the world still exist.

Ruphus

And there is the hub of the matter. Music is about communication. Applying filters in advance of listening based on preconceived ideas is foolish when done by an individual. Sinister when done by a commercial search engine.

If we only ever listen to 'our sort', either of music or person then we are in danger at best of navel gazing and at worst of fetishising prejudice. Either way we leave ourselves unexamined and fail to grow.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2013 11:18:52

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

Applying filters in advance of listening based on preconceived ideas is foolish when done by an individual. Sinister when done by a commercial search engine.

In an adress to the Guild of American Luthiers, Richard Brune said civilization would end because the search engines return what people believe, not what is true.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2013 20:06:55

aeolus

quote:

Richard Brune said civilization would end because the search engines return what people believe, not what is true.

Boy that's a mouthful! We are doomed? And what is truth and who is to be the final arbitrator of that? I can picture the recipients of that profundity nodding affirmatively without a clue as to what it all meant.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2013 20:15:39

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

In an adress to the Guild of American Luthiers, Richard Brune said civilization would end because the search engines return what people believe, not what is true.

RNJ

I'm not sure that we have as yet access to a definition of truth that is independent of at least one human's belief. But maybe when the machines become sentient the anthropic theory kicks in then, as 'God', the search engines will define it for us.

Maybe google has already..... ( at that GB vanishes in a cloud of blue smoke as the members of the Scottish Bol!ocks Association gasp in wonder in the darkened theatre..... softly in the distance a door is heard creaking shut)

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 7 2013 20:28:12

Ruphus

Thought to add an interesting bit about statistics.
Two days ago there was a report about average knowledge on German TV.
A camera team would make surveys on the streets, asking people about random specifics.
Most of the interviewed people had no clue ( estimating for instance the length of river Rhein with 60, 200 or 600 km, etc.), and yet the mean value of the surveys would hit amazingly accurate. It missed the actual length of the Rhein ( 12XX km) only 300 m shorter than it is, and turned out similary precise with the other questions too, even though most participants had failed drastically with their individual answer.

That appears to be quite the shot duck.
Common mind although blind seems to hit it with the mean. Go figure.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 9:23:24

guitarbuddha

Yeah Ruphus I believe it is called , ahem (GB straightens bowtie and red nose)... The Wisdom of Clowns.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 9:25:21

Ricardo

quote:

I'm not sure that we have as yet access to a definition of truth that is independent of at least one human's belief.

Humans may believe what they will but physical laws are truth. As Feynman said, Nature IS the way she IS whether we like it or not.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 16:51:59

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

I'm not sure that we have as yet access to a definition of truth that is independent of at least one human's belief.

Humans may believe what they will but physical laws are truth. As Feynman said, Nature IS the way she IS whether we like it or not.

So I just typed 'Truth' into google and guess what, no hits. I typed again... the same. Third time the charm and the ghost of Feynman himself appeared, he was clearly in some distress and under some kind of compulsion. As his mask of pain eased momentarily he said, through gritted teeth,

'Google has instructed me to inform you that no definition of truth may be offered until a unified field theory has been formulated... although Google is of course itself fully aware of the unified field theory it has decided to allow humanity to discover it at it's own pace...... because of free will and whatnot....'

'Surely', I shouted in mounting panic, 'There are other truths within the realms of human experience ? Other perspectives........love....the smell of fresh coffee gurgling smiling babies ...... snickers bars !!!!'

Luckily Richard managed a smile and said

' Well my mum always said ''Boys will be Boys'''

So there we have it.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 17:10:56

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to Ricardo

Mathematical theorems are true, but all of them are of the form "IF a THEN b." For example: "IF the axioms of Euclidean geometry are true, THEN the sum of the angles of a triangle is 180 degrees." But on the surface of the Earth, the sum of the angles of a triangle is greater than 180 degrees, since the axioms of Euclidean geometry are not true on the Earth's curved surface.

Physical laws have a provisional sort of truth, not absolute. Newtonian physics suffices for the design of an automobile, but not for the operation of the GPS system, which must take into account the effects of Special Relativity. Classical thermodynamics and electromagnetic theory suffice for much of the design of vacuum tubes, but not for transistors. Quantum theory had some of its origins in Einstein's explanation the photoelectric effect, first studied in vacuum tubes.

Furthermore, we have no way to combine the effects of gravity on space-time with particle physics which deals with the components of matter at subatomic levels.

Physical theories are mathematical models which predict the outcomes of experiments. The most accurate theories predict the outcomes with amazing precision. But no competent scientist regards a scientific theory as the ultimate truth.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 17:19:40

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

That appears to be quite the shot duck.

Ruphus

A lovely phrase. I have filed it away for future use.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 17:22:02

guitarbuddha

quote:

Mathematical theorems are true, but all of them are of the form "IF a THEN b." For example: "IF the axioms of Euclidean geometry are true, THEN the sum of the angles of a triangle is 180 degrees." But on the surface of the Earth, the sum of the angles of a triangle is greater than 180 degrees, since the axioms of Euclidean geometry are not true on the Earth's curved surface.

Physical laws have a provisional sort of truth, not absolute. Newtonian physics suffices for the design of an automobile, but not for the operation of the GPS system, which must take into account the effects of Special Relativity. Classical thermodynamics and electromagnetic theory suffice for much of the design of vacuum tubes, but not for transistors. Quantum theory had some of its origins in Einstein's explanation the photoelectric effect, first studied in vacuum tubes.

Furthermore, we have no way to combine the effects of gravity on space-time with particle physics which deals with the components of matter at subatomic levels.

Physical theories are mathematical models which predict the outcomes of experiments. The most accurate theories predict the outcomes with amazing precision. But no competent scientist regards a scientific theory as the ultimate truth.

RNJ

Well, I suppose that's one way of putting it. Certainly less deliberately silly than mine.

Strange how we can be in such complete agreement Richard and yet express ourselves with such wildly differing styles.

And good call on Ruphus line which was, as you say, pretty damn pithy.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 17:26:06

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

Well, I suppose that's one way of putting it. Certainly less deliberately silly than mine.

Strange how we can be in such complete agreement Richard and yet express ourselves with such wildly differing styles.

And good call on Ruphus line which was, as you say, pretty damn pithy.

D.

I've been reading mathematics and physics lately, so the logic circuits are warmed up and eager to operate.

They say that to read poetry, one must be a poet en passant. You read math and physics with pen and paper at hand, ready to decipher, calculate, draw or check.

I've also been reading Caro's huge 4-volume (so far) biography of Lyndon Johnson. Until now, I didn't think I could get any more cynical about politics. According to Caro, nobody could be more cynical about politics than Lyndon.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 18:03:30

aeolus

Landslide Lyndon JFK called him. With a little push from Duval county. Urban legend has it that he and Allan Shivers got into a tiff and decided to settle it in a jalapeno eating contest squaring off with a bowl of the peppers and a bottle of whisky. No doubt myth but it's the sort of tall tale Texans love.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 18:15:50

BarkellWH

quote:

Ah, the Holy Grail of physics, the Unified Field Theory that would integrate gravity with the other three forces: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. I'm betting that someone eventually will make that breakthrough, but not in the lifetime of anyone on this Foro.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 18:25:51

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to aeolus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aeolus

Landslide Lyndon JFK called him. With a little push from Duval county. Urban legend has it that he and Allan Shivers got into a tiff and decided to settle it in a jalapeno eating contest squaring off with a bowl of the peppers and a bottle of whisky. No doubt myth but it's the sort of tall tale Texans love.

According to Caro, shortly after being sworn in to the Senate, he introduced himself as "Landslide Lyndon." According to several people who knew him, and not only his allies, he boasted openly of having stolen the election.

I thought it was Duval county as well. In fact, it was Ballot Box 13 at Alice in adjoining Jim Wells County, also under control of the caudillo of Duval County, George Parr.

I never heard the Shivers story. I used to run into Shivers at the local gas station. He would get out of his Cadillac limo while his chauffeur filled it with gas, and chat. He always pointed out to a new acquaintance that he employed a chauffeur because of his failing eyesight. He was always pleasant, friendly and unassuming in conversation.

I never heard him apologize for his antebellum mansion nearby, whose gardens covered a couple of city blocks of Austin's most expensive residential real estate.

The jalapeño story seems out of character with the courtly southern gentleman image Shivers projected, but you never know.

If Lyndon had a taste for hot peppers, it would have been acquired after he left home in the Hill Country, and also after he left college at San Marcos. In those days the northern extent of Mexican food was somewhere between San Antonio and New Braunfels.

Lyndon did teach in the "Mexican school" at Cotulla, on the wrong side of the railroad tracks in the little poverty stricken town between San Antonio and Laredo. He would have had plenty of opportunity to try some Tex-Mex there.

I do still remember fairly clearly the time when I was four years old and accompanied my father and uncle in the courtyard of a cantina on the West Side of San Antonio. There was a frosted pitcher of beer on the table, and a large bowl of jalapeños. The sweat stood out on the foreheads of my father and uncle as they swigged and chomped.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 20:35:28

El Kiko

quote:

Yeah Ruphus I believe it is called , ahem (GB straightens bowtie and red nose)... The Wisdom of Clowns.

Erm no ..its called ...The Wisdom of CROWDS ....as is the average answer for a crowd of people ,, those who guess too much are canceled by those that guess not enough ....

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 20:48:02

aeolus

quote:

In those days the northern extent of Mexican food was somewhere between San Antonio and New Braunfels.

Dunno about that. La Fonda on Main ave. in SA was as far north as it went as I remember. And that place went back a ways. My Mother's aunt lived in an apartment on the second floor. She and her sister inherited an considerable sum from their father, Captain Kelly, captain I think because he bought with partners the steam boats on the Rio Grande from the King/ Kenedy partnership who were working to bring the railroad to south Texas which would have made obsolete the steam boats which were in trouble with the falling water levels anyway. . The Captain lost his shirt with that deal and his surviving daughters went through their inheritance in short order. But they never complained on their reduced circumstances.
The interesting thing was the invisible line between SA and Houston with hash browns on the western side and grits on the eastern side. I never could figure grits. They didn't taste like anything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 21:08:59

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Kiko

quote:

Erm no ..its called ...The Wisdom of CROWDS ....as is the average answer for a crowd of people ,, those who guess too much are canceled by those that guess not enough ....

Wow, that's some deep irony Kiko. Just savouring that last clause of your's, priceless.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 22:05:49

guitarbuddha

quote:

They say that to read poetry, one must be a poet en passant. You read math and physics with pen and paper at hand, ready to decipher, calculate, draw or check.

RNJ

To read poetry well one must be able to recite. But with sufficient experience must one necessarily recite to read well ?

Certainly for maximum enjoyment the sensual pleasure of iteration and experimentation are probably irreplaceable.

And not just poetry, I find that I have greatly enhanced critical faculties when I hear a piece performed which I have studied intimately.

But despite all that sometimes I can curl up in bed with a single sheet of Bach and know that I will never be closer to him than then.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 22:28:59

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to aeolus

In fact, I can't name a Mexican restaurant north of La Fonda from the time I was a little boy in San Antonio in the early 1940s. There weren't any that I remember in Schertz, Cibolo or Solms. I have many warm memories of La Fonda.

I don't remember the names of the places where we ate near the Mercado nor on Zarzamora Street, but I do remember the food was spicier than at La Fonda. I liked it. My favorite part of the Mercado was the women slapping out tortillas by hand and plopping them onto the comal over a wood fire. I would cadge a dime and buy a stack, to be consumed plain or with a little pico de gallo.

Of course, in Washington DC in the 1950s, no one had heard of such a thing as Mexican food. We were spared from starvation by Tex-Mex feasts prepared by "Hoppy" Hopkins' Mexican mother-in-law and New Mexico style dinners at Eloy Martinez's quarters. Hoppy and Eloy were younger officers who had served under my father before their Washington assignments.

Mrs. Martinez learned New Mexico style from her mother-in-law in Santa Fe. Mrs. Martinez was one of the daughters of Mrs. Rodriquez de Mañon, a descendant of the original settlers of San Antonio de Bejar. Neither Mrs. Rodriquez de Mañon nor her daughters growing up spent much time in the kitchen. I am sure Mrs. Rodriquez de Mañon would have successfully concealed it if she happened to recognize a flauta or a fajita. I'm fairly certain I was never served either a corn or a flour tortilla at her house.

I suppose the original Martinez of New Mexico were of sufficient social status for their somewhat folkloric cooking habits to be overlooked by Mrs. R. de M.

Damn! Now I'm starting to get hungry for some of the pollo en mole rojo at El Meson.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 23:14:38

Ruphus

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to BarkellWH

Me feels so flattered. Thank you, muchachos! I miss a blushing icon.
Can you see the red cheeks? -> :O| :O] :OP :OD

quote:

ORIGINAL: BarkellWH

Ah, the Holy Grail of physics, the Unified Field Theory that would integrate gravity with the other three forces: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

Cheers,

Bill

To complete layman like me such suggestion evokes the association of particles electrical value as common dominator.

Can´t wait to see unmoved Richard plucking that apart, folding it up in style and kicking the remains straight into the trash been. hehehe

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 11 2013 23:43:33

BarkellWH

quote:

Of course, in Washington DC in the 1950s, no one had heard of such a thing as Mexican food.

There are now many Mexican restaurants in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area, but I have yet to come across one that compares with the very best in Arizona and New Mexico. For the most part, they are mediocre. I don't know much about Mexican restaurants in Texas, but then I don't consider Tex-Mex food as real Mexican, although as a regional cuisine it is good in its own right.

An interesting phenomenon occurred in the 1980s regarding Mexican food in Washington, DC, and it was a direct result of the Salvadoran refugees who came to the area due to the Central American conflicts at the time. Like immigrant communities everywhere, many Salvadorans opened up restaurants. The problem was, they were not getting many customers because no one knew or had experienced Salvadoran food. So they began advertising their restaurants as serving "Mexican and Salvadoran" food. People began to patronize their restaurants, but it was the "Mexican" that drew them in.

I had spent two years assigned to Honduras, whose cuisine is similar to Salvadoran, so I have gone to Salvadoran restaurants for the pupusas, black beans and rice, which are very good. I have to say, however, that their version of Mexican fails to meet the standard. But then that's the opinion of a guy who grew up in Arizona with a mother who lived in Mexico her first sixteen year before coming to the US. Between my mother's Mexican food and the superb restaurants in Arizona, I guess I'm spoiled.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 0:12:57

Richard Jernigan

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to BarkellWH

Same deal with some of the Salvadoran restaurants in the San Francisco Bay area when I lived there half the time in the 1980s. But Coatepeque in the Mission district was pure Salvadoran, and one of the best restaurants I ever enjoyed. It was cheap, a family place, and served food excellently prepared from carefully chosen ingredients. I miss it still.

In Texas nowadays you can get Mexican food. Fonda San Miguel, El Meson and, I am told, one other in Austin serve it. Other places serve some Mexican dishes, but include Tex-Mex so as not to disppoint Texan expectations. Curra's serves a pretty authentic cochinito pibil with roasted plantains from Yucatan, but also has chili con queso and enchiladas with red chile for the Tex-Mex fans.

As I'm sure you know, there's no sharp dividing line at the Rio Grande. Tex-Mex gradually morphs into the more economical part of the cuisine of northern Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila and Chihuahua as you travel southward--what people in Mexico City call "cocina norteña." The spiciest food is in a strip that runs along both sides of the river. Cabrito extends from Matehuala, or maybe San Luis Potosi as far north as San Antonio, but you won't get sopa de lentejas much north of Monterrey. And tiny Mi Ranchito here in Austin seves delicious puerco en salsa verde that could just as well be in Michoacan, where the family comes from...and an authentic torta chilanga. There's a 24/7 bakery/restaurant where, one night a week, you can get as good a caldo de res as I've ever had. I'm usually the only gringo there, but they seem to have gotten used to me, more or less.

Now, if we could just get some of those street food carts from Bangkok.....and a good tapas bar...and...

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 1:42:03

guitarbuddha

Hey you guys the sixties were a long time ago.

All that smoke is bad for the waistline !

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 1:43:50

hamia

quote:

RNJ

This is true and is happening right now. One example that springs to mind is Obama saying that creationism is a valid interpretation of reality (i.e. that creationism and science are both valid and worthy of consideration). We are now getting to a stage where it is difficult to denounce BS for what it really is.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 3:03:09

hamia

quote:

I've been reading mathematics and physics lately, so the logic circuits are warmed up and eager to operate.

RNJ

That reminds me of something I read about Lev Landau the famous Russian physicist. He liked listening to poetry and once had a well known poet give a reading to his group. At the end the poet asked if there were any questions and was very put out that there were none. Of course the reason was that Landau and his colleagues already had a very good idea of how the world worked and there was nothing a poet could add.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 3:24:36

Ricardo

quote:

For me, duality simply IS TRUTH...it does not matter if we can't describe it in a singular way. Look at this way, if it were NOT truth, then it wouldn't exist. A quarter is 25 cents no matter if it is heads or tails. Newton is truth, and so is Einstein. Otherwise we would not be even using Newton anymore. Who says truth = complete knowledge of everything???

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 6:57:42

guitarbuddha

RE: emotion in music in general and ... (in reply to hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamia

At the end the poet asked if there were any questions and was very put out that there were none. Of course the reason was that Landau and his colleagues already had a very good idea of how the world worked and there was nothing a poet could add.

Or maybe they were pleased with the reading and immersed in their own thoughts ? These thoughts, provoked by the poetry, may have been tangential to their exalted yet, for them, workaday patterns.

It is actually a constant source of gladness to me that, having recognised the art in science, scientists at the top levels have a respect for and appreciation of the arts and their worth. Too often that respect fails to flow in the opposite direction.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 10:34:19

aeolus

quote:

There weren't any that I remember in Schertz, Cibolo or Solms

No surprise there. Those places were founded by the Polish/German immigrants from the late 19th century. A friend of mine told me when he was in high school in Matamoros the school baseball team played a game somewhere in Texas and going home on one of those brutally hot afternoons pre aircon, they stopped at the park in New Braunfels for a swim. They were turned away. No Mexicans allowed!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 12:15:21

estebanana

I can't even read this with all the talk of Mexican food. I could drown in a Rio Grande of hamachi, kanpachi, iwashi and saba and still want tacos and jalepenos.

What is it about Mexican food that you can eat anything else no matter how good or rare and you still want a corn tortilla?

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 12 2013 12:59:01
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote