Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Guitar Strings Experimenting   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

FlamencoD

Guitar Strings Experimenting 

I'm experimenting with strings until I find the set I prefer the most for my Navarro Concert Blanca. So far I really like the La Bella 2001Bs trebles and Daddario EJ46 basses (not sure if I prefer those over the 2001B basses, gotta compare the two sets again). The Daddario basses seemed to last a long time. Currently, I have the Savarez 170 Flamencita strings on. The basses are OK, not much to complain or swoon about there. I do not like the trebles. They are quiet and subdued, not bright at all. Also had some major intonation issues, particularly on the 1st string. By the 12th fret it was a 1/4 step sharp. Changed to a backup set of Daddario EJ46 trebles I had laying around. They are much better than the 170s. I also have a set of Conde 860 Traditional, Daddario Composites EJ25C, and Luthier Golds to try after the Savarez basses wear out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 30 2013 0:15:03

FlamencoD

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to FlamencoD

Update - the Savarez bass silver windings broke on the D string after less than 3 weeks. I won't buy those again, for that and the above mentioned reasons.

Tonight I put on the Felipe Conde 860 Flamenco strings to try out; a little more expensive than other sets, but man, they are awesome. Definitely my favorite so far on my guitar -- they really make that Blanca sing. Trebles are nice and bright, and the basses are really nice, crisp and full. I still have a set of Luthier Golds and Daddario Flamenco composites to try after the Conde's wear out, but I have a feeling I've found my strings!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2013 4:27:41

gslavonic

I believe what strings are best depend on the guitar, the player, the style, and personal preference. I have heard some of the best stuff from gitanos in Jerez on old rusty strings. Of course, new strings sound better, but its relative. I usually buy D'adario's medium tension and leave the trebles on for months while changing the bass strings monthly. Works for me. I like Saverez, but they wear out too fast.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 14 2013 20:45:51

ric

I've been using the Hannabach 7287 HT bass strings and have not found anything better. My Montalvo is also from Mexico and can sound a bit thin, but these strings give it the bottom (within the limits of the guitar) without mushing out. Yes they are expensive, but now that I'm using them I don't want anything else. Using carbon trebles on top.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2013 14:42:12

FlamencoD

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to ric

I can't bring myself to spend $18-20 on a set of strings. I have the luthier concert golds on it now and they sound really good, too, and aren't too expensive ($8). I'm going to try a fresh set of condes one more time and see which of the two I like better. I like both of those sets better than la Bella's and Daddarios, although I still have an unused set of Daddario flamenco carbons I have yet to try. It has been fun trying out different strings but glad I found the condes and luthier golds. On my guitar I can't go wrong with either.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2013 15:49:46

n85ae

Do the Conde strings make your guitar take on an Orange hue ..?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 3 2013 16:16:54

Ramon Amira

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to n85ae

quote:

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to FlamencoD)

Do the Conde strings make your guitar take on an Orange hue ..?

No, but they're great for playing "Moonlight Sonata."

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 10 2013 22:18:27

While your at it
If you like the Conde strings these are worth a try
Much cheaper.. Not sure they are repackaged but very similar
The 300 set.. http://www.fernandezmusic.com/DanielMariStrings.html
I'm pretty settled on the luthier 20's but the Mari strings sounded good on my Caceres.. Really nice feel and great trebles ..

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 11 2013 3:01:13

beno

I'm also an explorer on that field, and tried several sets:

Aquila, Augustin, Aranjuez, Conde, Ramirez, Hannabach, LaBella, Fender, Galli, Luthier,Oasis, D'addario,Savarez, Thomastik, EDIT: Martin, Ernesto Palla (several type each brand, expect a few) Hense, and Royal classics are on the way

but it's still going on..
As far as trebles, I really like LaBella's golden 900 set. The notes just 'pop'!
The D'addarios titanium trebles, and the oasis gpx give huge sound to my blanca yet comfortable, and have a good feel. I used to love Aguila alabastro on my previous guitar, as it was far better than anything else on that guitar...

as for the basses, the Oasis gpx, the D'addario dynacore, Savarez cantiga were the best for me. I loved D'addarios EXP, but it's medium tension set is not hard enough for this 650 guitar, and didn't make to try the hard tns set so far.

I either don't think that using carbon strings would be blasphemy. The're just different with their pro's and con's.

The ultimate experience for me is:

I used to think I know a lot of strings, 'cause I experienced several kind....
Then I changed guitar, and come to know that I just know how that exact guitar reacted to one set or another. So one cannot save time on experimenting with it, and when You change guitar, You start again
...I just love it, and enjoying myself
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2013 20:54:50

beno

...one more thing to add the LaBella and the D'addario are the far most consistent in quality, and that also make them the best working horses IMO

That include ramirez sets to be dead right away, popping Aranjez sets, also savarez, Hannabach- the nylon's shaving off with with spider-web-like things ?!, Galli's- great feel, great tone, but so much lower in volume and so on...

By the way does anybody know why the heck are the european made strings priced 2times more than the US made? WHY? by SBM You can buy lets say a Daddario or LaBella for 6-10 USD, while lets say Hannabach goes for 17 bucks, also Pyramid...

Not to mention that I could get aquila strings from SBM, from the US CHEAPER than I could directly from the Company residenting almost in the neighbourhood of Hungary?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2013 21:32:28

keith

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to Guest

Daniel Mari is one of the La Bella Mari clan who jumped ship many years ago. There are several stories about the split--Daniel either left or was kicked out depending on who is telling the story. I spoke with Daniel many years ago and he told me his flamenco strings were designed for, and used by, Sabicas. Of course everyone and their brother way back in the day seemed to have a connection with Sabicas so who knows if the story is true. The flamenco trebles are quite nice but the tension is a little on the low side--they do work well on longer scale guitars.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 26 2013 22:48:02

beno

Yes, Mari strings are also on my list, but SBM does not sell them, any recommendation on who to order them?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2013 7:22:38

keith

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to beno

i am not sure if fernandez sells them anymore but this is where i bought mine in the the past.

http://www.ostriesculpture.com/danielmaristrings.htm
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2013 9:31:38

My post above has a link to Ron Fernandez
Bought a some mid year
But Bill offers the same service

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2013 10:02:47

edgar884

Savarez HT classics normal tension are the ****.

I've tried everything and those are the best strings in my opinion.

May we find God through Flamenco instead of Angels and Demons

www.gabrieledgar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 27 2013 12:46:11

beno

what "everything" mean in that manner? Have You tried the knobloch strings? Are they any good? Also Dogal? Dr. Classical strings?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2013 6:07:23

beno

Thanks a lot Al and Keith! I'll definietly give it a try when I ran out of the ones I ordered right now.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2013 6:33:00

tele

My ultimate set is savarez corum med tension basses, alliance g string and new cristal B and E strings (or alternatively hannabach classical "blue" high tension). Every other basses seem to last less when it comes to sound and lose the silver plating quicker. I also liked the la bella 820 black trebles

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 28 2013 20:26:16

etta

tele; I agree about the Corum bass strings except I use the high tension. There is actually little difference in overall tension of the two sets, but the HT have just enough to make a very low action guitar really roar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2013 3:12:44

beno

My next order is on the way, I can't wait to eat them

Hense 500 Series Medium Tension Nylon Classical, Full Set (500MT)
Royal Classics FL60 Flamenco High Tension, Full Set (FL60)
La Bella 10PH High Tension Silver, Full Set (10PH)
Savarez 500PR Rectified Traditional Trebles/Corum Basses NT, Full Set
Savarez 520R Rectified Trebles/Red Basses High Tension, Full Set (520R)

Also if any of You haven't tried rectificed trebles so far it's worth give a try, as for the playing feel goes it's one of my favourite
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 2 2013 19:07:20

Ramon Amira

quote:

Also if any of You haven't tried rectificed trebles so far it's worth give a try, as for the playing feel goes it's one of my favourite

I would highly recommend La Bella Rectified Nylon trebles. They are the best treble strings I have ever played.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2013 16:07:49

el carbonero

labella is ****tt strings.

I recommend savarez alliance.
I tried the luthier carbon trebles it's exactly the same than alliance
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 4 2013 21:19:04

beno

I don't think there would be any problem with LaBella. Those silly declarations like this string is crap, but the other is the best, are quite boring.

Among all the "big names' Savarez was, and still is the most unrelieable brand, if we're at it.

Nor LaBella nor D'addario had so many defected sets like Savarez, including breaking trebles right away after restringing, intonation problems, basses that die in a couple of days etc etc.

..not the mention the price they're breaking at...

...and finally, customer service. Just mention one more company, that took the time, and did something similar like LaBella did right on this forum, changing each set, that had quality problems....

I hear a lot of quality problems on Savarez sets, yet didnt came across any similar solutions....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2013 11:03:52

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: beno

...and finally, customer service. Just mention one more company, that took the time, and did something similar like LaBella did right on this forum, changing each set, that had quality problems....

Agree. They immediately mentioned they had some quality issues with some trebles, fixed it and sent replacement to all who mentioned it and they are always there with great customer service. My sets with the improved black trebles which were replaced were all fine.

How about Savarez doing some quality control with some of these funny Tomatito strings which sounded ok but snapped in my face after a day.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 7 2013 11:50:34

tele

RE: Guitar Strings Experimenting (in reply to el carbonero

quote:

I tried the luthier carbon trebles it's exactly the same than alliance

Galli uses also same strings, they all come probably from the same factory.

Savarez has been OK so far for me altough the alliance G strings had varying intonation between sets

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2013 17:53:16

beno

quote:

hmmm...
Galli is in Italy, Savarez in France, while Luthier is in the US... do You guys really think that financially it's worthy for these companies to contract to the same supplier for a material, that's easily productable nearly anywhere in the world?
According to this idea and the average prices each brand provide the 'core'-company should be in the US?

Any insider's info welcomed!

I always tought that string making is more attached to fishing-line or tennis-racket strings companies, as they produce more or less the same product probably in much bigger volumes?!

I'm really interested in string-manufacturing, quality-control and so on, but haven't find much valuable info on the net...most of them are simply marketing-stuff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 8 2013 19:57:26

tele

quote:

ORIGINAL: beno

quote:

hmmm...
Galli is in Italy, Savarez in France, while Luthier is in the US... do You guys really think that financially it's worthy for these companies to contract to the same supplier for a material, that's easily productable nearly anywhere in the world?
According to this idea and the average prices each brand provide the 'core'-company should be in the US?

Any insider's info welcomed!

I always tought that string making is more attached to fishing-line or tennis-racket strings companies, as they produce more or less the same product probably in much bigger volumes?!

I'm really interested in string-manufacturing, quality-control and so on, but haven't find much valuable info on the net...most of them are simply marketing-stuff

Don't you think it's very expensive to produce strings? therefore it would be easier to ship them than produce them. The thickness and feeling is exactly the same so why not, my guess is that at least galli and savarez uses the same factory. Some also speculated that conde hermanos strings are same as luthiers.

Also elixir string factory produces many brands, or so i have heard

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 9 2013 15:04:56

beno

quote:

Don't you think it's very expensive to produce strings?

No, I think the knowledge behind it is expensive - I mean the exact data that make a nylon (or any other type) sound good, durable, and playable, and so on...
Maybe the special machines are expensive too, but I don't really think that...but again, We're just speculating here...

quote:

Some also speculated that conde hermanos strings are same as luthiers.

I also heard of this story, but who knows for sure?

quote:

Also elixir string factory produces many brands, or so i have heard

You mean those electric and acoustic steel strings?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 9 2013 18:01:28

tele

elixir steel strings yes...

here's some machinery:
http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2010/factory-tour-daddario-strings/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 10 2013 15:39:49

edguerin

Anybody try Mugica Hermanos (MHStrings) ?

Ed

El aficionado solitario
Alemania
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 10 2013 15:40:43
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message