Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Picado techniqe - Now a REALLY basic question!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: Picado techniqe - Now a REALLY b... (in reply to Blondie#2

Anyone remember vectors from school ?

It is really easy to draw a curve and well nigh impossible to draw a straight line.

In the motion of the human body there are no real straight lines. And we do not have the control over it that we think we have.

Our bodies are goal orientated. They work best when we ask them do perform goals but do not tell them how to.

Put a finger on a string and think about the sound you want. Play one noet and pause. Is that the sound you wanted ? Experiment with position, curvature and all that but look for a sound. This is the kind of goal that your body will solve. Trying to tell your body how to do its business is the worst kind of micromanagement, you'll end up with a revolt.

Grisha gets the sound he wants, Paco does too. I gaurantee they only ever think about the sound they want when performing. For all I know all you guys posting get a great sound. Maybe you are all describing what you think you are doing. But truly excellent body use is not conscious.

Be conscious of your goal in sound, let your body decide how.

Lets not put the cart before the horse.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2013 10:47:28

Leñador

RE: Picado techniqe - Now a REALLY b... (in reply to guitarbuddha

Thanks Miguel, if I suppose if its good enough for Grisha and Sabicas it should be good enough for me!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2013 15:39:26

pink

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: pink

Way to easy to over complicate things here by expecting that the correct technique will present itself to you in a very short space of time. Touch the strings, feel the guitar, enjoy the sound, the texture and just get to know it. Your hands will develop their own touch the longer you play and thus your own technique will evolve....you will read,watch,listen shout , swear ...do all the things a human is pre programmed to do whilst you learn,but be sure that if you want to play then you will learn. No right way , no wrong way. You work on bodies and as you know our bodies have the habit of being able to do some extraordinary things if we allow them to . Don't force it just listen to what your body says to you and accept. As we learn more technique then we adapt what we know naturally to get it right for ourselves.
Good luck and enjoy.
pink

That seems no good avice at all, Pink.
In a civilisation so detouched from natural being that kids suffer all kind of motoric misconception, it should be more than clear that your body will NOT tell you most ergonomical ways.
It would need certain preconditions first, and whether those suffice for something as special like guitar playing shows to be rather questionable still.

People cherrish the idea of body matters settling in by default and at best even with something like instinct for humans ( who have none ), leaving out that we are no lemur.

Relying on your body and precondidtional routines to execute guitar techniques will work out for a very small minority, and be a needlessly winded often times hard to repair road for the vast majority.

Let beginners´ questions be answered as technically profound as possible.
... Sometimes it will even help advanced players, justby remembering certain aspects while giving / reading advice on useful approach.

Ruphus

Hey Ruphus I really don't give a lemurs right testicle if you think my post is good advice or not!
This is my opinion and it is how I feel.
I have suggested that the body should not be forced but allowed to develop...simple.
My words ,my feelings and like you my right to comment and suggest .
Hope that meets with your exacting criticism

pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 6 2013 21:45:32

Flamencito

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to pink

quote:

Hey Ruphus I really don't give a lemurs right testicle if you think my post is good advice or not!
This is my opinion and it is how I feel.
I have suggested that the body should not be forced but allowed to develop...simple.
My words ,my feelings and like you my right to comment and suggest .
Hope that meets with your exacting criticism

Pink

Hi pink,

I dont think there should be any problem with Ruphus giving his point of view on your comment, it doesnt changes anything on YOUR point of view and the nice thing about a forum like this is to be able to discuss subjects. Anyway, that's my opinion...

Hola Caracola
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2013 3:00:49

jg7238

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to junheng

Here are a couple of my videos from different angles.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2013 4:36:52

junheng

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to Flamencito

quote:

I dont think there should be any problem with Ruphus giving his point of view on your comment, it doesnt changes anything on YOUR point of view and the nice thing about a forum like this is to be able to discuss subjects. Anyway, that's my opinion...

I agree! Roll on the different points of view ... without ad hominem attacks. I have nothing against ad hominem attacks per say (I am not a moralist) but I've been married for twelve years and have had my fill of that sort of thing, so the camaraderie on this and other forums is like taking a long jacuzzi.

I personally think both sides in this discussion are making good points. Speaking from the perspective of sport and dance (as a dancer and physical therapist), I can say that physiotherapy clinics all over this country are full of two types of patient: those who have just 'done what's natural' and those who have forced their body into configurations taught by coaches without 'listening to their bodies.' I believe the way of success is to walk a delicate path between these two extremes. I don't see this as a black-and-white 'all or nothing' situation.

The argument that we already have all the natural reflexes is only partially true because reflexes are re-educated and eventually lost over generations and even as quick as during one lifetime - and it *could* be argued that much of guitar technique and dance (at least the more 'refined' types of dance) is far from natural anyway ...

On the other hand, to *force* my body into configurations without paying attention to its natural ways is courting disaster - nature and the laws of science cannot be fooled!

Imo, sportspeople, dancers and musicians all face this fundamental challenge. Ya have to be brave to do this sort of thing!

junheng

-----
Life is dangerous ... if you want to run away from risk you should never cross the road and probably best to stay in bed ... and even that has risks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2013 6:54:43

Ricardo

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to hamia

quote:

A lot of people doubt this method and I can understand why. It takes absolutely ages to get any good at it.

I am glad you have something working for you. My only issue is with your description of the mechanics, things like saying vicente is doing something totally different than paco etc, is simply false. Even graf martinez has all those examples to show it is the same mechanics of those different players (although his description of how they do it is also misleading, at least he recognizes they do it the same as each other). If whatever you are doing works for you, keep going with it. At this point we can only go in circles with disagreement as the black in white video we both seeing something different. Cheers.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 7 2013 16:35:29

hamia

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo
My only issue is with your description of the mechanics, things like saying vicente is doing something totally different than paco etc, is simply false.

I think that Vicente and Paco both use the middle knuckle method but that for some reason (hand size, flexing of last joint, etc) Vicente seems to push the string downwards (towards the top) more than Paco does. So slightly different not completely different!

That top Paco vid has been my motivation in learning this method. I am pretty sure that I first saw it in one of your posts many years ago. The economy of movement is very noticeable.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 2:35:40

Miguel de Maria

Hamia,
maybe Vicente pushes it down more because he likes a darker, fuller sound and Paco pulls more because he wants more snap. If this is true, they are not different techniques but just different individuals changing the parameters slightly to get a different sound.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 2:50:24

hamia

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to junheng

quote:

ORIGINAL: junheng

On the other hand, to *force* my body into configurations without paying attention to its natural ways is courting disaster - nature and the laws of science cannot be fooled!

Don't get the idea that using the middle knuckle is doing any unnatural "forcing". It is very efficient and "stress-free"! It uses less effort than the straight finger method. Some comments have been made about "leverage" - implying that the straight finger method gives more "leverage" - which I interpret to mean that it is easier to pluck harder with less effort. This idea is wrong - no method of plucking gives leverage. A straight finger is not a lever (or it is a lever where the fulcrum is at the end!) - and doesn't give any mechanical advantage in plucking. In fact the opposite is true as the work done by the muscles to produce a given plucking force increases with the length of the "finger" (i.e. distance from the joint to the finger tip). Straight fingers make it harder to pluck the string. Imagine trying to knock an object off a table using a pole - the shorter the pole the easier it will be. Or put the end of your finger in an elastic band and try to move it outwards - hard to do with a straight finger, much easier if using the middle knuckle.

Bent fingers using the large knuckle will be more efficient than using straight fingers - but still there is no "leverage" and it can't be more efficient than using the middle knuckle.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 3:08:50

hamia

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Hamia,
maybe Vicente pushes it down more because he likes a darker, fuller sound and Paco pulls more because he wants more snap. If this is true, they are not different techniques but just different individuals changing the parameters slightly to get a different sound.

I think pushing down gives more volume. Paco's run in the top vid in Ricardo's post isn't particularly loud (loud enough though) but is very staccato.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 3:15:53

jg7238

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to jg7238

Here I am playing that same bit of solea by Paco at a different angle. Nail shape, size and experimentation are all key factors. Also keep in mind of course that you always want to play from the same point of contact when executing with IM....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 15:04:54

El Kiko

I got to admit that is neat .. very flamenco .. I cant do that ,,,,,...yet ..

What do you mean ''play from the same point of contact''' just to be clear ..?

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 21:54:01

Ricardo

quote:

I think that Vicente and Paco both use the middle knuckle method but that for some reason (hand size, flexing of last joint, etc) Vicente seems to push the string downwards (towards the top) more than Paco does. So slightly different not completely different!

Quite different than what you said earlier, which I think is a good sign. Won't be long before you realize they actually doing both the same thing. Perhaps you are holding on to an idea you THINK you are doing? Paco is faster than Vicente and therefore more efficient in his movements. He bends the index a little tiny bit more. Probably you and others have the same problem, as you go past your comfy speed limit your index straightens out. It stops "looking" efficient and it is only because of speed limitations. No one can doubt paco's efficiency and control of speed....but pulling the string with his middle knuckle he is NOT. The big joint is pushing down the whole finger as a unit with the middle joint bent. It's no different than other fast guys that play with straight fingers that are also as fast and efficient. Perhaps it is easier to "see" in video shots of picado where he doesn't play as fast? Watch him do some slower medium speed picados. It's the staccato that forces the movement to look more efficient as he doesn't pre set each stroke when not playing staccato.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 21:58:44

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamia

Bent fingers using the large knuckle will be more efficient than using straight fingers - but still there is no "leverage" and it can't be more efficient than using the middle knuckle.

I was hammering in fence posts yesterday. Now I used to swing a great big hammer in a round house motion from my shoulder standing about a three feet away. But yesterday, following your excellent advice I cut two feet of the hammer shaft stood real close and, immobilising my shoulders, I applied force only from my elbow.

I know that that was right cause Grouch Marx appeared in a blonde wig and told me that was how Paco did it.

Still that may be neither here nor there. How about finger independance and how it diminishes as you approach the tip of the finger. Perhaps that is relevant.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 22:52:10

pink

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to guitarbuddha

Whilst sitting in a traffic jam on a bus leaving Glasgow yesterday, my mother in law said she saw a strangely awkward looking hammering man trying to erect fence posts with the most useless of tools.....as the minutes continued and she looked on she said the sun broke free from behind a cloud and with the sunlight reflecting from the workers head which was firmly seated in the motionless shoulders of the physically pathetic being she said she felt an overwhelming spiritual sensation as if touched by some telepathic buddha of the north. Could this have been you ?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 23:11:24

guitarbuddha

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to pink

No, yesterday I was in Narnia.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 23:14:54

pink

Me too,trying to find my own mythical picado technique!

Best regards D
pink
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 8 2013 23:19:03

hamia

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

I was hammering in fence posts yesterday. Now I used to swing a great big hammer in a round house motion from my shoulder standing about a three feet away. But yesterday, following your excellent advice I cut two feet of the hammer shaft stood real close and, immobilising my shoulders, I applied force only from my elbow.

I know that that was right cause Grouch Marx appeared in a blonde wig and told me that was how Paco did it.

Still that may be neither here nor there. How about finger independance and how it diminishes as you approach the tip of the finger. Perhaps that is relevant.

D.

Glad to hear you're making progress D. You're smart so it was only a matter of time before you came around to my way of thinking.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 1:28:58

jg7238

RE: Picado techniqe - Straight knuck... (in reply to El Kiko

quote:

What do you mean ''play from the same point of contact''' just to be clear ..?

Basically where the nail and flesh part of the finger meet the string. You always want to play from the same spot when alternating.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 5:59:11

hamia

quote:

Quite different than what you said earlier, which I think is a good sign. Won't be long before you realize they actually doing both the same thing. Perhaps you are holding on to an idea you THINK you are doing? Paco is faster than Vicente and therefore more efficient in his movements. He bends the index a little tiny bit more. Probably you and others have the same problem, as you go past your comfy speed limit your index straightens out. It stops "looking" efficient and it is only because of speed limitations. No one can doubt paco's efficiency and control of speed....but pulling the string with his middle knuckle he is NOT. The big joint is pushing down the whole finger as a unit with the middle joint bent. It's no different than other fast guys that play with straight fingers that are also as fast and efficient. Perhaps it is easier to "see" in video shots of picado where he doesn't play as fast? Watch him do some slower medium speed picados. It's the staccato that forces the movement to look more efficient as he doesn't pre set each stroke when not playing staccato.

I played this frame by frame in VLC and it's difficult to see exactly what he's doing. I think the only way to settle this is for some one to ask Paco (why has no one done this yet!). But note that he uses a middle knuckle free stroke which suggests to me that he probably has developed this aspect of playing and uses it for picado.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 8:15:19

Ricardo

quote:

But note that he uses a middle knuckle free stroke which suggests to me

Dude...you can't "see" what he is doing in slow motion, but you somehow CAN see THAT??? Makes no sense at all. Stop blinding yourself with your own idea of seeing what you WANT to see. It's crystal clear. Seen from this angle you no longer see middle knuckle drive you thought you saw before. His big joint is driving the entire finger... both fingers, for all those apoyandos. It was always this way and still for him today. Of course arps tirando the finger tips are pulled up away from the adjacent strings by curling the fingers into little fists. Different than picado.

Ricardo

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 18:15:13

El Kiko

Got it Juan , thanks , just checking

for me , I think it is all to do with the position of the right hand in relation to the strings/guitar..
I know other things may come into play ..like nails etc...
But it seems to get it right , for me, is to get that hand right , even a bit out seems to make it fail...
and there is a slightly different position for each thing ...picado , tremolo . rasgueado etc...

I just cant seem to get that sorted out .......

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 21:41:20

Sr. Martins

I never understood the big vs middle joint picado thing. Ive never seen anyone doing picado from the middle joint, only arpeggios (not picado).

The only difference I see is that some people have their fingers straighter than others and some players seem to employ a different curvature on the middle joint depending on which strings they're attacking.

I practice both ways (bent and straight). I feel that this is a faster way to make the fingers learn for themselves whats their preferred position so that they decide how they want to do it and I only have to focus on what I want to play (instead of how).

Either way, I dont believe that Iam doing any significant force with my middle joint to pluck the strings during picado.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 23:28:22

guitarbuddha

RE: Picado techniqe - Now a REALLY b... (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rui Martins

I practice both ways (bent and straight). I feel that this is a faster way to make the fingers learn for themselves whats their preferred position so that they decide how they want to do it and I only have to focus on what I want to play (instead of how).

Nicely put. Always best to let your body find out rather than to decide who you want to agree with.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 9 2013 23:55:41

Sr. Martins

quote:

Nicely put. Always best to let your body find out rather than to decide who you want to agree with.

My old tendonitis always reminds me of this fact
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2013 0:11:00

guitarbuddha

RE: Picado techniqe - Now a REALLY b... (in reply to Sr. Martins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rui Martins

quote:

My old tendonitis always reminds me of this fact

Ah you are a young man still. Mine is so far in retreat that I seldom hear from it. In fact it has become a bit like the guy you bump into who you fought with at junior school many years ago. Strangely friendly and comforting with no real possibility of turning nasty.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2013 0:14:31

Sr. Martins

Mine is a good focal point to practice meditation. Instead of checking the breathing I just look for the involuntary tension that builds there and release it.. I found I can always relax more and that my attention span for this kind of thing is a bit short, but it certainly helps a lot.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2013 1:56:52

hamia

quote:

Dude...you can't "see" what he is doing in slow motion, but you somehow CAN see THAT??? Makes no sense at all. Stop blinding yourself with your own idea of seeing what you WANT to see. It's crystal clear. Seen from this angle you no longer see middle knuckle drive you thought you saw before. His big joint is driving the entire finger... both fingers, for all those apoyandos. It was always this way and still for him today. Of course arps tirando the finger tips are pulled up away from the adjacent strings by curling the fingers into little fists. Different than picado.

Ricardo

Why am I so sure that Paco uses the middle knuckle? Ok, I can't say for 100% I'm correct but there seems to be some good evidence. I was going on what GM said and also what Ruben Diaz has also described in a video on Youtube. And vids of Paco playing are entirely consistent with using the middle knuckle. I can hit the string with a bent rigid finger (i.e. your method), with just the large knuckle providing the power. It doesn't feel natural to me as I've been practicing for so long with the middle knuckle. But it looks very similar to my method. The middle knuckle method kicks in when the finger makes contact with the string and the difference between large and small knuckle methods in that final small movement following string contact is very hard to distinguish on a video. I am familiar with both methods and I can't really be certain which method some one is using from a video. And I find it odd that you are only familiar with one method but are very certain!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2013 3:14:19

ToddK

quote:

The middle knuckle method kicks in when the finger makes contact with the string and the difference between large and small knuckle methods in that final small movement following string contact is very hard to distinguish on a video

No Hamia, its not hard to distinguish in the video. Its painfully obvious in the video.
Its clear at this point, you simply don't want to see it.

But hey, i know denial quite well, and i've been in that state plenty
in my life, so in that regard, i understand.
Hope you can leave that state very soon. :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jul. 10 2013 5:08:42
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post