Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: here desperately seeks foro members advice:)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ricardo

RE: here desperately seeks foro memb... (in reply to SLJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLJ

It wasn't for tone,,, I was trying to get a lower action,,, that just everything Ive done. I think it could go down at nut, but Im leary on doing it,,, I don't have much exp. on doing it on a fretted inst.

Nut only affects the FIRST fret, don't bother with it if playing a barre at first fret is ok.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 16 2013 18:30:01

estebanana

RE: here desperately seeks foro memb... (in reply to Ricardo

Por martinete, anti sustain device:

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 3:29:47

Leñador

quote:

Rofl

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 4:02:41

estebanana

We need to create a FAQ sheet about how to pick a guitar or what makes a suitable pinch flamenco guitar, etc.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 7:46:04

machopicasso

RE: Yet another newbie here desperat... (in reply to hando

quote:

is a flamenco guitar that important for a beginner? I've been learning on a classical with no issues. I don't think playing on a flamenco would make me sound a whole lot better?

Try to do this in one swift movement: 1) flick your index finger off of your thumb to do a golpe above the strings; 2) hitting the strings on the way down; and then, once you're below the strings, 3) flick your thumb back up to hit the strings again.

Then let me know how that feels on your classical.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 7:55:46

Erik van Goch

RE: Yet another newbie here desperat... (in reply to machopicasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: machopicasso

quote:

is a flamenco guitar that important for a beginner? I've been learning on a classical with no issues. I don't think playing on a flamenco would make me sound a whole lot better?

Try to do this in one swift movement: 1) flick your index finger off of your thumb to do a golpe above the strings; 2) hitting the strings on the way down; and then, once you're below the strings, 3) flick your thumb back up to hit the strings again.

You'll might find this more rewarding to play that on my classical guitar then on the average flamenco guitar below a 2000,- range, both in playabillity and sound (in fact i happen to have incidentally discovered/cultivated this option on a classical guitar :-). If i'm not mistaken Sanlucar didn't mind playing a classical Ramirez and i can't blame him since my fathers 1962 classical Ramirez is a dream to play on (both in playability and sound). He also owns a very good gerundino that only respond to impeccable technique/input. If you can't give it what it needs (most can't, including me) it doesn't respond and you'll be better off playing a lesser demanding guitar (not saying all good flamenco guitars are to demanding but some are). On top it is not such a bad idea to upgrade a guitar later in your life so it gives you new motivations and kicks when things became routine. It really depends on the guitar and especially in the cheaper range i haven't found that much flamenco guitars i would be willing to trade for my triplex classical ibanez. First of all i prefer playability over sound and second of all many of them have very poor dynamics.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 10:01:39

Guitarsid

RE: here desperately seeks foro memb... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

We need to create a FAQ sheet about how to pick a guitar or what makes a suitable pinch flamenco guitar, etc.

I agree and I have considered doing a youtube vid about this topic.
I think that it is one of the most frequently asked questions beginners have about learning to play flamenco.
The fact is that a good flamenco guitar is just not available or feasible to obtain for many who want to learn. I remember when I was young and had no possible way or means to obtain one, nor were there any teachers, nor any players anywhere around me to associate and play with. So I had a Carlos Montoya album that left me mesmerized, with no means at all to explore how to make these wonderful sounds.
Things have changed a lot since then and the music and teaching is far more accessible, but the availability of a good flamenco guitar for the beginner has not. With the economy now, it is more difficult for many.
I would like to see playing flamenco music on guitar become more popular.
I hope to at least make a simple video sometime that describes how to evaluate and choose a good candidate in a classical guitar, and then how to set it up the best you can for practicing and learning flamenco.
More opportunity to just go ahead begin on a cheaper classical guitar is good for flamenco music all the way around, these will be the future players and customers who one day, like me, will want to get a really good instrument.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 12:48:13

estebanana

RE: here desperately seeks foro memb... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

quote:

Rofl

Hell yeah, she can pound my pulpo anytime.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 13:12:30

estebanana

There was talk of a beginners FAQ or beginner section, I think it would be good to put together a FAQ for all the regular beginner questions about guitars.

Or a FUK, Frequently Uttered Questions, or a FUK pertaining to dairy farming: Frequently Uddered Questions.

If a question has udders, is it begging to be milked for truths? Or is it the udder way around?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 13:18:57

hando

RE: Yet another newbie here desperat... (in reply to machopicasso

quote:

I am not sure I could do that on either. The flamencos I've tried in the lower price range ~$1k just have not sounded all that great (This was at guitar center so I know they were probably all garbage).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 17 2013 14:59:57

nickmontez

RE: Yet another newbie here desperat... (in reply to Garam

How far away are you from Busan? I should be there in about two weeks?

Nick Montez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 21 2013 3:18:48

Garam

nickmontez/ I live in Seoul so I think Busan is located at the right opposite side of my country

Thank you all for your attention! I met a teacher here all thanks to Mr.estebanana. Had a 2 months work shop with Mr.Stan and it has been splendid Really good start for me no doubt.

Kang
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2013 23:51:25

estebanana

Garam,

I'm glad you got to together with Mr. Stan. He is a solid player a a lot of fun. He lived in Spain for two years studying guitar and he has a lot of flamenco knowledge.

Nick, I'm fixing to email you.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2013 11:17:06

ric

RE: Yet another newbie here desperat... (in reply to Garam

Hi Garam,
I agree, just get an el cheapo classical guitar and practice practice practice. I used to practice rasqueado while driving which means with a fist, pinkie out, ring, middle, index out in that order. For lessons, I recommend the David Leiva dvd's as he gives you the music with or without percussion, singing or even guitar, you get the music and guitar tabs as well and you can practice technique or try to play along as the chords are shown while he plays as well as the timing.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 2 2013 14:08:18

barblackmore

Hi! I`ve been reading this topic for a while
Everyone suggested flamenco books. But they deal exclusively with the music
You play music WITH YOUR BODY. Without body training, realaxation, getting to know the muscles, you`ll never be able to get a good tone. Knowing how to relaxe makes a HUGE advance on your playing, because you start to enjoy what you plays. It`s difficult to study if you don`t like your sound!
These two books were without a doubt the most important and loved ones in my possesion
Jamie Andreas The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar
Ciencia y método de la guitarra-Jorge Cardoso
Good luck!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 5 2013 15:41:58
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message