Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

What's the deal with steel string guitars?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Miguel de Maria

What's the deal with steel string gu... 

So... you know we have a boutique guitar store here in Tempe. They have about 10 classicals, one factory flamenco, and 200 Martins or Santa Clara or whatever it's called. Do you guys like steel stringed guitars? Do you really need to spend $10,000 on something you whack at with a pick and kind of sounds like a banjo? Does the extra five pounds of mother-of-pearl make it play better?

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 17:16:55

gj Michelob

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Do you guys like steel stringed guitars? Do you really need to spend $10,000 on something you whack at with a pick and kind of sounds like a banjo? Does the extra five pounds of mother-of-pearl make it play better?

Com'n, Miguel, there is more to steel strings than strumming. I took a 3 year break to re-learn fingerpicking on a good acoustic guitar, but ultimately I do favor the sound of Nylon Strings on a Blanca.

However, here is something I had posted before, a fine example of elegantly playing a mother-of-pearl decorated, Martin [steel strings]:

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 17:30:59

tri7/5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

So... you know we have a boutique guitar store here in Tempe. They have about 10 classicals, one factory flamenco, and 200 Martins or Santa Clara or whatever it's called. Do you guys like steel stringed guitars? Do you really need to spend $10,000 on something you whack at with a pick and kind of sounds like a banjo? Does the extra five pounds of mother-of-pearl make it play better?

The same could be said for a 10k flamenco and vice versa. Go watch Tommy Emmanuel and see what kind of great virtuosity can happen on a steel string. And to answer your question yes, there can be a ton of difference between different steel string makers in regards to tone and build quality. Same with any guitar.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 17:51:10

Erik van Goch

Is this a serious question? If it is Dyingsea gave you the answer.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 18:16:25

ralexander

I played steel string for 20 years before discovering flamenco. I'm not into overly flashly MOP inlaid guitars either, but there are certainly builders out there rightfully demanding very high prices for their work. Some examples I've played are guitars by Michael Greenfield, Marc Beneteau and Grit Laskin.

Ryan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 18:21:10

Ruphus

Just another beautiful of Apollon´s daughters.

Besides, some are capable of playing steel similar to flamenco players.
I recall one guy who was doing insane stuff. Many of the notes as harmonics.
He would even flip out on up to three guitars at once.

He seemed to have fingers of stone. ( PdL for instance couldn´t do it. I remember him mentioning that he once on a party played on a steeler and minced his fingertips.)
Too bad I don´t remember that artist´s name.

There are thousands of stunning pieces throughout the genres that owe their charme to the special flair of acoustic or electric guitar. These pieces would had not turned out that way with nylon.

To my ears the two kind of strings each have their own strengths.

Ruphus

PS:
Can you imagine Lynyrd Skynyrd´s "Simple Man", ... J.J. Cale´s laid-back stuff ... George Harrison´s "While My Guitar Gently Wheeps" on nylon?
"Wish You Where Here"?

It wouldn´t work.
No that way.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 19:58:20

jshelton5040

guitars have nylon strings.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 11 2013 22:51:48

estebanana

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

guitars have nylon strings.

John Shelton - www.shelton-farretta.org

Steel is for building bridges.

John, Guitars have gut strings, but nylon comes as close as possible.

*Ducks and runs*

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 0:47:33

El Burdo

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to estebanana

I just wish this thread had been called 'what's the deal with steel'.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 15:04:28

TANúñez

Steel string guitars are just a beautiful. A guitar is a guitar. Regardless of what kind of strings are on it. A lot of great music has come from a steel string guitar. I too was surprised Miguel asked this question. What about someone spending 20K on a Reyes that will also be whacked with golpes?

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 15:08:58

Miguel de Maria

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to TANúñez

I just don't like them. Well, I do for strumming around the campfire and eating S-mores. They do sound better for folkie music, no doubt. Perhaps I just haven't been exposed to the setting where steel string guitar really shines. I have faint memories of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", where the whole key to the thing is playing that G chord with the D on the 2nd string and the C chord with the G on the 1st string. A nice, fat, homey sound. But not a $10,000 sound.

And I actually agree that you don't need a $20,000 flamenco. Flamenco guitar is an accompanist art where the guitar takes 3rd place out of three factors. There's not $10,000 worth of sonic real estate behind a hoarse-voiced singer and a stamping dancer. I'm unconvinced Sabicas or Paco would have made inferior records if they had been forced to pick up different guitars.

I can see a $10,000 classical guitar, though. That guy has to sit up there in his tuxedo all by himself and has to account for the entire musical experience. Nothing to hide behind, no excuses.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 15:43:52

Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miguel de Maria

Perhaps I just haven't been exposed to the setting where steel string guitar really shines.

>scratch head<

While living in the west. In the USA. In Airzona. ... ?????????????
What about the music I mentioned above, as a slice of the musical universe that is based on the specific sound of steel strings?
Never heard? Never been moved?

I mean I know what musical frigidity is. Have wittnessed it with folks who grow up with musical monotony.

But your cases must be very different with the diverse medial exposure you must have had and an obviously given sense for variety and rich harmony that after all must have made you appreciate flamenco.

Should you have access to a title named "I Got The Same Old Blues Again" from an artist named J.J. Cale, or say Edgar Broughton Band´s "Evening Over Rooftops", would you feel again that steel doesn´t shine?
( No rhetoric question. Really curious about it.)

Ruphus

PS:
Besides; I suggest that "I Got The Same Old Blues Again" hits quite the same receptors like the ones activated with flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 17:29:19

Paul Magnussen

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

There are thousands of stunning pieces throughout the genres that owe their charme to the special flair of acoustic or electric guitar. These pieces would had not turned out that way with nylon.

Very true. Listen to Nic Jones or Nick Drake. Or Pierre Bensusan.

There are some kinds of music you don’t use a Spanish guitar for, any more than you’d use a hammer for turning screws.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 17:58:14

tijeretamiel

Anyone who anything about music that the Ukulele is the champion of all stringed instruments.

George Formby is so much greater than Paco De Lucia, The Gypsy Kings etc by such a margin not even a truck of Conde FC28's could make a difference.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 18:48:43

[Deleted] (in reply to tijeretamiel

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 19:25:27

Miguel de Maria

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to Ruphus

Ruphus,
I listened to the two tracks you just recommended. I didn't hear anything in the tone of the guitars that especially moved me or that seemed aesthetically pleasing, so mabye they aren't the best example. "They Call Me the Breeze", on the other hand, grooves and features a much richer steel-string sound. I was a big blues fan (JJ Cale ain't blues) for many years, but I never honed in on the tone quality of the guitars. I'm in the camp of "the guitar is a tool", not "the guitar is an eargasm just waiting for an amateur to clunk on it".

GJ, I do like that clip you posted. Still... not feeling the steel strings too much. There are probably some just drop-dead gorgeous banjos out there, too.

It's my understanding that guitars had gut strings before the Spaniards brought it to the New World. The gut didn't work too well on the ships, so they used metal wire. Back in those days, a set of gut strings cost about as much as the guitar.

As far as ukulele players go, I like John King (RIP) and James Hill. That guy is amazing!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 20:35:36

Ruphus

Hi Miguel,

J.J. Cale to me is about first eight albums of all grooving stuff ( diverse kind of styles aside of his invention of laid-back ), one piece after the other. Only best with the orginal studio tracks ( live great too, but no that perfect ).

Anyway, it´s been interesting to hear of your perception ( that brought back memories of other less receptive folks too ), which is near impossible for me to comprehend, but nonetheless worth considering.

Because I am exactly the guy you describe. Since the age of six* or so totally enchanted by that "eargasm just waiting for an amateur to clunk on it".
- Though hoping you didn´t mean any of the playing in the recommended tracks.
What can be done with this instrument to my ears is "only" the icing on the sonic cake.

BTW, J.J. to me is not only the most plentiful and original groove writer in the world, but also the best guitar player.
Not technically, mind you, his posture and everything are actually so messed up that you can only wonder how he gets it all done ... But in terms of touch, timing and phrasing ( or shall I just say "expression") he is second to none.

That is notwithstanding the fact that my personal desert island guitar would be a nylon strung, and of my love for flamenco, Spanish / Latin and classical guitar.

Ruphus

* At that time you would hardly get to hear a single note of nylon string anywhere in Germany´s main stream media.
The first guitar sounds that got me hooked hence where sounds of acoustic guitars that came with western movies. Either when the cowboys would take a seat at the campfire and strum an axe, or in the soundtrack.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 21:50:35

TANúñez

Miguel, I think steel string guitar is just not your thing. Not a good thing or bad thing. Just your tastes. Plain and simple. I love steel string but I don't like every artist who plays them. Same with flamenco. Love flamenco guitar but not all flamenco guitarists.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 21:53:13

TANúñez

Checkout Andy McKee. Maybe you'll like his stuff.
http://youtu.be/P4tcFHQJHcA

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 22:01:14

Miguel de Maria

Tom, you're probably right, it's just not my thing. I watched a few Tommy Emmanuel vids and McKee. They're good players, no doubt, great facility and groove. I just feel there's something missing in that genre. And there is something about the steel string sound aesthetic that doesn't work for me. It's tricky, because it probably has to do with associations just as much as anything else.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 22:51:57

estebanana

quote:

I watched a few Tommy Emmanuel vids and McKee. They're good players, no doubt, great facility and groove. I just feel there's something missing in that genre. And

Like compas?

I've seen Tommy, he is impressive, a wonderful player. I even like that he skins his Maton alive. He's a cult figure to some in Kentucky-Tennessee area.

Miguel steel strung instruments go way back, the Cittern is from the Renaissance. And there are modern steel string guitars that you can play baroque music in and it sounds really good. Find a Lowden and play Bach on it. You might find yourself carrying two guitars to a gig.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 23:44:21

Paul Magnussen

quote:

I watched a few Tommy Emmanuel vids and McKee. They're good players, no doubt, great facility and groove. I just feel there's something missing in that genre.

IMHO it’s merely something missing in Tommy Emmanuel. Good technician, of course, but otherwise no clue. Carlos Montoya syndrome — technical display for its own sake.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 0:06:51

estebanana

Tommy Emmanuel is like salsa that is way too hot, a bit is good, but a whole bowl full is not edible. He is a showman and he puts it on because lots of folks go see him for that burning rubber in the parking lot kind of appeal. He plays the guitar like it's a nitro fueled dragster. He does have a string quartet he travels with and spends half the night playing with them. I liked that better.

He is famous for this schtick where to uses the top of his guitar like a percussion instrument, literally skinning the top with the pick.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 1:53:59

[Deleted] (in reply to Miguel de Maria

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 7:44:21

Ruphus

Guitars are soulful instruments anyway. From mediocre mass production to fine handcrafted specimens, with the latter bearing just the more of spirit.

Some ears only seem to not perceive certain timbre well, like Miguel with steelers or a former girl friend of mine to whom nylon stringed guitars must have appeared relatively blund in comparison to acoustics and e-guitars.

And in Middle Age some troubadors might have received the bucket of water from the lady on the balcony, despite of playing well. Possibly for reasons not related to the instrument as such.

Ruphus

PS:
I know a chap here to whom guitars won´t speak either. He has only ears for the local 3-string stick neck steeler. ( And can´t appreciate any music outside the traditional anaemia.)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 9:08:31

tijeretamiel

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

Checkout Andy McKee. Maybe you'll like his stuff.
http://youtu.be/P4tcFHQJHcA

Andy McKee is half Guitar Player, half Bongo player.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 10:41:15

ralexander

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Tommy Emmanuel is like salsa that is way too hot, a bit is good, but a whole bowl full is not edible. He is a showman and he puts it on because lots of folks go see him for that burning rubber in the parking lot kind of appeal. He plays the guitar like it's a nitro fueled dragster.

That's a great description of TE! You can't fault the guy for his success because he is a great entertainer and technician, but it's funny that it's typically casual music fans and non-musicians that are so drawn to him. Many music aficionados and musicians that I've talked to have comments similar to yours.

It's funny how you hear music differently over the years as your tastes change. For example, I was heavy into solo fingerstyle guitar for many years. Now that I've been listening to 80% flamenco for the past 3 years, some music sounds different to me now. Good flamenco has a certain potency that I crave and miss in other genres.

Anyway, let me submit a few examples of steel string based music that touches me in my special place

Proud to call this guy my friend - Canadian fingerstyle wiz Don Ross on a baritone guitar:

The late great Michael Hedges:

Pierre Bensusan - musical genius IMO, I was lucky to see him a few years back:

And something a bit different - this guy is one of my favorite singers/performers of all time - Glen Hansard:

Here's a random little blurb about Glen I read last night - earlier this year while touring in Barcelona, he bought a Francisco Barba!

http://www.flamencoguitarsforsale.net/news/66/113/Glen-Hansard-with-Solera-Flamenca.html

Ryan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 13:03:39

guitarbuddha

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to ralexander

Hey Ralaxender I agree with pretty much all of that. I cant believe people find TE convincing. I also love Micheal Hedges and respect Don Ross.

I even saw Glen Hansard and the Frames live as 'The Swell Season' with the girl from 'Once'. My friend bought the tickets and I was pretty much dreading it. So it came as a lovely surprise when I really enjoyed the gig. That Hansard fellow can really emote !!! Do you remember him playing the guitar in the commitments ?

Here is Moreno Winterstein showing that gypsies also play steel strings.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 14:30:25

ralexander

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to guitarbuddha

Don Ross is an incredible musician and multi instrumentalist. And he's an even better human being! He and his wife and touring partner Brooke Miller both play expensive handmade acoustic guitars on the road. None of their guitars are "blingy" but they are all built by master craftsmen (Beneteau, Greenfield) who have earned the right to charge big money because the guitars are consistently excellent sounding and playing instruments.

quote:

That Hansard fellow can really emote !!! Do you remember him playing the guitar in the commitments ?

Yeah, I recognized him from the Commitments as soon as I became a fan of his work with the Frames and his solo stuff. The Commitments is a great film, as is Once. I'm jealous you got to see him live with the Swell Season - he and Marketa had a great vibe. He is playing a lot with Lisa Hannigan these days, who is basically an angel Glen burns so bright when he is performing. He talks about how he "cut his teeth" performing as a busker in Dublin when he was very young. He says he worked hard to project his voice in the streets until it bounced back at him. He should go down in history as one of the most passionate and honest singers of his generation IMO. Yeah, I'm a fan LOL

Almost forgot the great Richie Havens, rest his soul! So many others come to mind ... Paul had a good suggestion with Nick Drake. I'm also a fan of guys like Jeff Tweedy from Wilco, John Martyn, Stephen Fearing etc etc Lots of great stuff to discover, you just have to be receptive to it.

Ryan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 15:33:28

Miguel de Maria

RE: What's the deal with steel strin... (in reply to guitarbuddha

Interesting about Tommy Emmanuel. He's one of those guys that I've heard so many positive comments about, I thought he was untouchable! But I just now checked him out for the first time.

That being said, I might just steal a few of his moves, if you don't mind...

I met this guy at a wedding I was playing for. The TV people don't stop talking until around 20 sec or something.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 13 2013 15:37:13
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll