Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/ who is not?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to kudo

quote:

you speak as if you DO add something to a topic.... , whenever US or politics or history is mentioned, you jump on it , otherwise you remain like a statue ! what have you contributed to flamenco here?maybe you do talk about flamenco a bit here and there, but i have not seen a single video/audio of you playing ! you are just too busy talking 95% about non-flamenco topics

Regardless of the percentage of comments I post devoted to flamenco vs. non-flamenco topics, I at least comment on subjects I know something about and can address with a degree of knowledge and depth.

One other thing, Kudo, in discussing various topics, even when challenging a comment or offering an alternative take on an issue, I try to do so with grace and civility. I try to challenge the comment or idea put forth, not the person expressing it as you did when referring to me in an earlier post on this thread with your comment cited below.

"OLEEEE TU *Clapping* (like this post!!) and you figured him out within 3 days here of being on the foro!"

If that is your idea of a mature response to a discussion that did not even involve you, you might want to reconsider whether you should be commenting at all until you attain a greater degree of maturity.

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2013 21:29:39

chester

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to Red_Label

quote:

I'll keep on playing whatever it is that I play... and loving every minute of it.

Right on Red!

Got any recordings of your stuff online?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2013 23:58:25

LaVaquera

Beatifult, Red_Label. Thanks for sharing the pic, and the lady is beautiful!

Love, Liberty and Happiness to you all,
LaVaquera
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 2:58:18

BarkellWH

quote:

The guitar has been central to my life of 45 years. I've studied, taught and played most styles/genres. I pretty much LOVE listening to and playing it all. I'm a jack of many, master of few/none. I am what I am. I do it for the pure joy it's given me and for the love of it. I do it to bring joy to others and expose some of them to some flavors/styles they may not have experienced before.

Yours sounds like a life well-lived, Red_Label. In our exchange on the thread "Sabicas Documentary Premieres," we discovered that we share a lifelong love of Sabicas' playing. A love of Sabicas, coupled with your approach to guitar and music cited above, plus the beauty of Montana where you live, must add up to a great feeling when you rise each morning!

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 10:37:35

mark indigo

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to LaVaquera

quote:

I am new to this forum and did not see any prior discussion. I tried the search tool but did not get results for this question. If you wish to put a link to a previous forum I would be most grateful, so no one has to revisit the discussion.

you only had to put "Gypsy Kings" into the search box at the top of the page....

this is just a selection:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=179869&mpage=1&p=&tmode=1&smode=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=25306&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#25431

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=207362&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#207377

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=161416&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#161416

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=48909&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#48921

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=43433&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#70138

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=140546&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#140585

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=154329&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#154335

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=19005&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#19070

and finally,

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=277&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=gypsy%2Ckings&tmode=&smode=&s=#285

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 13:34:50

estebanana

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to BarkellWH

Or simply search on "fakemenco'

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 13:46:28

Red_Label

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to chester

quote:

Right on Red!

Got any recordings of your stuff online?

PM sent with links Chester!

Btw... I've been a fan of "Chester Cheetah" for many years... since the first time he appeared more in cartoon form. Doesn't get any cooler than that dood!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 13:57:16

Red_Label

quote:

Beatifult, Red_Label. Thanks for sharing the pic, and the lady is beautiful!

Thanks! Yes she is. She's much more beautiful in person and I wish I had some better pics of this performance. I was juggling a lot of things at the moment and a bit stressed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 13:58:38

Red_Label

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Yours sounds like a life well-lived, Red_Label. In our exchange on the thread "Sabicas Documentary Premieres," we discovered that we share a lifelong love of Sabicas' playing. A love of Sabicas, coupled with your approach to guitar and music cited above, plus the beauty of Montana where you live, must add up to a great feeling when you rise each morning!

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I do love waking-up in MT right now. But ask me about that again this December when it's cold and dark! I keep telling my wife that once my youngest is 18 (he's 10 now) we're going to pick-up and move to Vegas or something.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 14:02:10

LaVaquera

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

I am new to this forum and did not see any prior discussion. I tried the search tool but did not get results for this question. If you wish to put a link to a previous forum I would be most grateful, so no one has to revisit the discussion.

you only had to put "Gypsy Kings" into the search box at the top of the page....

Thank you for the answer, Mark Indigo, but for quid pro quo, you only had to read the early responses to my original post to know it's been answered so many times, with overkill. If I am expected to magically know the correct search terms, such a Fakemento, a term which I have never heard, then others should also be expected to read the prior responses to my original question. Actually, I don't mind multiple responses to the Nth degree, but if I am going to be held to such an unrealistic responsibility, my Dear Listmates should hold themselves to it as well.

Now that it's off my chest, I am actually glad Mark posted this. I saw some interesting posts with You tube clips below it, regarding Compas. So, in the End, thanks for posting this, Mark!

And just think of all the fun we would have missed had I not started this thread! I have been introduced to some wonderful listmates because I posted the original question on this thread. I enjoy interacting with you all and reading and responding to the posts. A "hot button" issue was a perfect way to bring everyone in the conversation. I have enjoyed it greatly. I say let's have more threads this good.

Love, Liberty and Happiness to you all,
LaVaquera
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 14:57:49

Red_Label

quote:

And just think of all the fun we would have missed had I not started this thread! I have been introduced to some wonderful listmates because I posted the original question on this thread. I enjoy interacting with you all and reading and responding to the posts. A "hot button" issue was a perfect way to bring everyone in the conversation. I have enjoyed it greatly. I say let's have more threads this good.

I'm glad you did post this thread! I've been a member here for over a year, and finally elected to post my first post in your thread. I find that on web forums, some of the "salty old hands" who've been members of those forums for a long time don't always tolerate "noobs" very well. But without fresh blood, some of those sites would become stale old cliques not much more active than a few grizzled veterans posting an occasional "grunt" back and forth now and then.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 15:05:26

mark indigo

quote:

If I am expected to magically know the correct search terms, such a Fakemento, a term which I have never heard, then others should also be expected to read the prior responses to my original question.

I suggested you could have searched "Gypsy Kings" (not "Fakemenco") as that was what you were referring to in your post. If you try to search something and don't find what you are looking for straight away, try some other related search terms.

I did read the other responses to your original question, and I felt that the archives would add some additional thoughts on the subject. I thought you might like some help with the search facility, and I thought you might like to see how questions similar to yours have been answered in the past.

here's another one you might like

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?showResult=1&m=7890&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=real%2Cflamenco&tmode=&smode=&s=

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 22:35:07

stratos13

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to Elie

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2013 11:38:50

[Deleted] (in reply to BarkellWH

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2013 18:58:53

bursche

RE: Who is"real" flamenco/... (in reply to Guest

quote:

I know that when I hear Paco de Lucia develop musical ideas from John Mclaughlin's pieces, still it is the real thing.

Even when I hear Nino Josele playing jazz standards, or Marcial Heredia parodying the tourists' view of flamenco, I can hear the same spirit and humour.

But I know when I hear someone like Ottmar Liebert claim their music is flamenco, I simply, hear a German tourist onto a good marketing opportunity.

What Darth Vader (;P) said is about all that can be achieved by such discussions in my opinion.

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 9 2013 19:41:40

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: LaVaquera

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

Thank you for the answer, Mark Indigo, but for quid pro quo, you only had to read the early responses to my original post to know it's been answered so many times, with overkill. If I am expected to magically know the correct search terms, such a Fakemento, a term which I have never heard, then others should also be expected to read the prior responses to my original question. Actually, I don't mind multiple responses to the Nth degree, but if I am going to be held to such an unrealistic responsibility, my Dear Listmates should hold themselves to it as well.

Now that it's off my chest, I am actually glad Mark posted this. I saw some interesting posts with You tube clips below it, regarding Compas. So, in the End, thanks for posting this, Mark!

It is a lot to go through. I understand being new and wanting an immediate answer, also understand why long term members hit you with "oh no not again" attitude. I have no problem restating my point.

I actually performed with two members (canut and andre reyes at a cancer benefit), and had several juergas with them including one with tonino the lead guitar (a complete tocaor if only had had recorded with a cantaor that was complete). I will restate, they personally think of themselves as flamencos, and specificially the singers think of themselves as CAMARONEROS, unlike the dad (jose Reyes). Of course they have a warped concept of the art having grown up in france far away from jerez and the "golden triangle" of flamenco song. Main issue is compas, having the distorted examples of their uncle Manitas in terms of guitar with song. The older generation of their clans moved from catalan region to south france and took with them the flamenco tradition, which was mainly rumba. They do try their best at siguiriyas bulerias and fandangos, but honestly it's not quite correct. Despite there being other competent rumberos at said fundraiser, I was chosen by canut to accompany their singing, simply because they knew i was a flamenco guitarist and it made them more comfortable. What that means is something important I think, despite what people might understand their genre or band to be commercially.

I played for Diego Agujetas at a juerga in sanlucar, I would say my most "orthodox" or authentic experience. What was the difference between playing for him vs the KIngs? Honestly... not much. It was an experience of inspiration I will never forget. You just have to know the forms and the songs and let the singer lead you, no labels needed. I found myself helping the singer express the emotion and it didn't matter it was cante por solea or "montaña"... i just had to keep compas and give the right tonos, the rest is magic.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 12 2013 15:37:21
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message