Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Sabicas documentary premiere Thursday   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

Sabicas documentary premiere Thursday 

It's Thursday, June 6th, at 6:00 p.m. at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center, Bruno Walter Auditorium, 40 Lincoln Center Plaza. Free admission.

Me and Brook Zern will be on hand for pre- and post-screening discussion. The event is part of the exhibit "100 Years of Flamenco in New York" open through August 3rd (you can visit the exhibit before the film, but allow plenty of time).

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 11:43:26

Ricardo

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to zata

Cool. Come to DC.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 15:11:54

Paul Magnussen

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Cool. Come to DC.

And San Francisco.

I’ll review it for Classical Guitar magazine if I get the chance.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 16:35:00

guitarbuddha

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

quote:

Cool. Come to DC.

And San Francisco.

I’ll review it for Classical Guitar magazine if I get the chance.

Is Stephen Kenyon still there ? Good guy.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 16:36:32

brad

For long time I've been waiting for a Sabicas' documentary, Awesome !!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 16:39:26

BarkellWH

To echo Ricardo's comment above, is there any chance that this documentary on Sabicas could be shown in Washington, DC? Or in other cities with an interested flamenco community? I note that the New York showing is a "premiere." Does that mean that it will be shown in other cities after it premieres in New York? What is the plan?

Much appreciated Estela.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 16:50:11

Paul Magnussen

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

Is Stephen Kenyon still there ? Good guy.

Yes, he’s on the Review Panel.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 17:00:50

daffeey

Los Angeles - please please please

from the city of angels
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 17:59:30

tele

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to daffeey

Why not post it online for everybody?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 20:37:58

zata

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

To echo Ricardo's comment above, is there any chance that this documentary on Sabicas could be shown in Washington, DC? Or in other cities with an interested flamenco community? I note that the New York showing is a "premiere." Does that mean that it will be shown in other cities after it premieres in New York? What is the plan?

Bill and all... The documentary was contracted for the exhibit "100 Years of Flamenco in New York". Like any show, it can be contracted (projection rights, not introductory speech) and shown anywhere, and the director is asking a very modest fee.

Anyone interested in organizing a screening, contact me and I'll put you in touch with the director. The film is in Spanish with English subtitles, and is approximately 86 minutes.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2013 15:45:00

SamiR

Hi Zata,

I "work" in Helsinki flamenco association and i was wondering that maybe we could screen it here on our peña.
What kind of modest fee are we talking about?

Btw, my first post :)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2013 16:54:10

keith

zata--about 10 years ago or so jocelyn majami presented her documentary on carmen amaya and then put the documentary out for sale. i attended her presentation which added to the documentary but having the dvd has been very rewarding (especially since i can only recall snipets but can always refresh my memory). for those of us who cannot attend a presentation, and that would be thousands around the world, having a documentary would be a treasure we would be willing to pay for.

please see if the documentary can be put onto dvd and then be sold--i would be many thousands around the world would pay for such a documentary.

by the way, the majami documentary has a lot of sabicas in it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2013 17:05:44

zata

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to keith

quote:

please see if the documentary can be put onto dvd and then be sold--i would be many thousands around the world would pay for such a documentary.

The director told me a DVD will eventually be available for purchase, but it's going to take some time to unravel all the royalty battles and permission to use material.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 3 2013 17:18:54

Red_Label

Was just going to ask if a DVD would eventually be made. SO glad to hear that! I live in Montana. We don't get "screenings" here... EVER.

Btw... Sabicas has been my favorite flamenco player since I was a little boy in the 1970s, growing-up, listening to my parents' Sabicas albums. Thank goodness for YouTube, so I can see video of him in his prime.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2013 21:17:34

BarkellWH

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to Red_Label

quote:

Btw... Sabicas has been my favorite flamenco player since I was a little boy in the 1970s, growing-up, listening to my parents' Sabicas albums. Thank goodness for YouTube, so I can see video of him in his prime.

I'm with you, Red_Label. I first discovered flamenco guitar via vinyl albums of Carlos Montoya, but then shortly thereafter discovered Sabicas. Sabicas has been my favorite flamenco guitarist since, and remains so today. I just love his style and sound.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2013 21:35:43

Red_Label

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to BarkellWH

Absolutely Bill! He has always been the embodiment of all things flamenco to me. He was the "Segovia of flamenco" for me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 6 2013 22:59:41

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Sabicas has been my favorite flamenco player since I was a little boy

Ditto. When I was a teenager, Sabicas was The Man, end of story.

When he came to England for the first time in 1968, the concert hall must have contained just about every flamenco guitarist in the country, amateur or professional.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 0:37:02

Red_Label

quote:

Ditto. When I was a teenager, Sabicas was The Man, end of story.

When he came to England for the first time in 1968, the concert hall must have contained just about every flamenco guitarist in the country, amateur or professional.

Nice to see so much love for Sabicas here! When I browse the web reading threads related to flamenco guitar, it's usually PDL that everyone wants to talk about. And being that he seems to be the current "living legend", his branching-out to other genres, etc... I get it. He's great and if I had an ounce of his knowledge and ability I'd be thrilled beyond words.

But Sabicas will always be synonymous with the word "flamenco" to me and despite also enjoying the playing of MANY other flamenco artists (Serrano, Montoya, etc)... I picture Sabicas when I picture the pinnacle of the art.

Having said all of that, I honestly REALLY enjoy some of the work of the newer so-called "fakemenco" players like Strunz & Farah, Oscar Lopez, Lawson Rollins, and even Pavlo, etc. I know the difference between real/traditional flamenco and non-flamenco music with a flamenco or spanish flavor. And I LIKE IT ALL. Based on what I've seen lurking on these boards, my tolerance won't garner any respect from many hardliners. But I've never been a hardliner myself when it comes to art forms. I like what I like without regard to the opinions or ideas of others. Hell... even though I don't dig their whole cheesy schticks... I even enjoy some of the playing of Charo and Esteban [GASP!]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 14:58:54

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Having said all of that, I honestly REALLY enjoy some of the work of the newer so-called "fakemenco" players

I think what sticks in the craws of most of the critics is not so much the music itself as the fact that so many of its practitioners pretend that it's flamenco. For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Fusion-NovaMenco/product-reviews/B000001CBZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

That’s certainly my view. Let anyone have it who wants it; just call it something different.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 15:38:36

Paul Magnussen

quote:

I even enjoy some of the playing of Charo and Esteban

Charo is a very intelligent and attractive lady, and she’s also a more-than-competent guitar player (although her publicity department needs to get a grip).

That fact that she‘s had to act like a moron all these years to get ahead is a sad reflection on society.

I’ll spare you my opinion of Esteban.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 15:42:47

Red_Label

quote:

Charo is a very intelligent and attractive lady, and she’s also a more-than-competent guitar player (although her publicity department needs to get a grip).

That fact that she‘s had to act like a moron all these years to get ahead is a sad reflection on society.

I’ll spare you my opinion of Esteban.

I completely agree with your thoughts on Charo. She is a very good player and I would venture to say she's a much better player than 90+ percent of her critics. But the whole "coochie" thing she started in the 70s didn't do her any favors for sure.

And no need to spare me on Esteban. I get why people don't think much of him. He's a "used-car-saleman" type over-the-top Zorro-looking guy hocking cheap crap guitars on shopping channels. I used to watch his segments on TV just for the sheer absurdity of them (like someone who can't look away from a gruesome car accident). But over time I started to see him do a few things that somewhat impressed me. I still think he's far beyond cheesy in his entire schtick. But I have to admit that there's some talent there... even if he chooses to throw a bunch of glitter on it and fifteen coats of shellac!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 16:18:22

Leñador

quote:

That does bug the crap out of me. I love sex but I can't stand being sold sex, I wish society could rise above this and value people purely on merit...........My lady's a doctor and her company keeps trying to push her into a sales role because she's attractive, friggin lame........In the past I've not purchased something I wanted because it was being pushed like that.

Anyways LOOOOOVE SABICAS, nobody can say he was all looks no content

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 16:19:44

Red_Label

quote:

I think what sticks in the craws of most of the critics is not so much the music itself as the fact that so many of its practitioners pretend that it's flamenco. For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Fusion-NovaMenco/product-reviews/B000001CBZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

That’s certainly my view. Let anyone have it who wants it; just call it something different.

I completely agree with you. Although I will say that many of the practitioners of "Nuevo/New Flamenco" would be the last guys to claim to be traditional flamenco puros.

For lack of a better term, I started calling what I do "flamenco-jazz" when I started doing it. I should have called it "spanish-jazz" or "latin-jazz" in reality. But those thoughts didn't occur to me until I'd already recorded and been gigging it for some time. I fall-all-over myself to tell people at gigs that I'm not playing traditional flamenco, and I explain to them some of the history of traditional flamenco and what makes it what it is. In fact, after Saturday's benefit concert (where I backed-up a gal doing traditional flamenco dance), the event organizers came-up to us and were patting us on the back. I made it clear to them that while what we'd just done in Montana would be accepted as "flamenco" here in Montana, full of people who don't know the difference -- in Spain that would not have been the case. That was after I'd already told the crowd at least once on the mic that most of what we were doing was NOT "flamenco". I think that a lot of these guys out there playing in these various latin flavors very well know what they're doing is not flamenco and aren't claiming that it is. But the average record label, promoter and listener often feels the NEED to put a label on something and unfortunately, those labels are often either wrong, or inadequate for properly describing exactly what it is that the artist does. Unless an artist is beating their chest, claiming to be something they're clearly not... I don't hold these labels against them at all.

Even long before this whole "war" between purists and non-purists got hot, whenever I would hear someone playing latin-flavored NON-flamenco, I would think to myself "that's not traditional flamenco, but I like it just the same". And I think that a LOT of people (who know the difference) do that very same thing. Just because it's not traditional doesn't make it any less valid and enjoyable to many listeners. It certainly doesn't to me! There many days when I would rather listen to some easy-listening "smooth-jazz" type New Flamenco artist than a hardcore traditional flamenco artist/troupe. It depends on my mood and how involved I want to be in the listening experience. In fact, I often joke with people that what I play is "airport music". My wife always gives me the "why are you knocking yourself" look. But I can't help it. I like to keep it light-hearted and am just as happy to be background music for someone's nice conversation than I am to the center of attention. I think that comes from almost three decades of playing in obnoxious rock and country bands where I would play these fancy weddings and other events and think to myself "WHY did they hire an obnoxious, LOUD, expensive band for this event???" Which is one of the reasons I finally decided to move forward with my relatively tame "spanish/latin-flavored pop/jazz" gig. LOL!

Btw... I have that NovaMenco CD that you linked. LOL! It was on-sale in some bargain bin and I just grabbed it not knowing what it was. It's okay. Pretty repetitive and boring though. I listen to it as often as I listen to my Ottmar Leibert CDs (almost never). I happen to like a lot of these new latin artists... but I wanna hear some SPEED and PASSION in their playing. I don't hear that with NovaMenco or Ottmar. But to each his or her own and the fact that people like them doesn't bother me in the least.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 16:36:55

Red_Label

ALSO...

My apologies for hi-jacking this thread! It was meant to promote a film about Sabicas and that's what really matters. I truly hope I am able to lay my hands on a DVD of it one day!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 16:42:25

Paul Magnussen

quote:

I happen to like a lot of these new latin artists... but I wanna hear some SPEED and PASSION in their playing.

Passion certainly; but I’ve been caring less and less about speed, particularly in these days when everyone seems to be competing over it.

When I was young and stupid I used to try and play Lucía pieces that were too difficult for me. Paco Peña asked me why I did it. I said “I suppose, because of the challenge".

He replied “No! the challenge is to come down”.

And I realised he was right: trying to make something simple sound good is in many ways a more worthwhile objective — and quite difficult enough!

Listen to Sabas playing the Castellana from The Art of the Guitar. Isn’t it beautiful? And it’s quite simple.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 17:07:41

Red_Label

quote:

Passion certainly; but I’ve been caring less and less about speed, particularly in these days when everyone seems to be competing over it.

When I was young and stupid I used to try and play Lucía pieces that were too difficult for me. Paco Peña asked me why I did it. I said “I suppose, because of the challenge".

He replied “No! the challenge is to come down”.

And I realised he was right: trying to make something simple sound good is in many ways a more worthwhile objective — and quite difficult enough!

Listen to Sabas playing the Castellana on The Art of the Guitar. Isn’t it beautiful? And it’s quite simple.

Good post!

And I must admit, that even after 29 years of guitar play, I still get excited by speed! And yes... I LOVE the challenge. That challenge of speed has excited me whether I was playing rock guitar (my rock guitar "god" has always been Yngwie Malmsteen), country (Brad Paisley), mandolin (Chris Thile), etc. I've always been drawn to technical virtuosity.

But I WILL say, that not at the expense of emotion and the artist actually saying something with his or her playing. I guess that's why I always loved the playing of Sabicas. Very passionate AND technically challenging. When I think about classical guitar, I MUCH preferred the beautiful playing of a player like Julian Bream to the technical wizardry of Elliot Fisk. So though I love virtuosity... I do recognize that part of that involves tone, phrasing, and most of all... FEEL. Sabicas definitely had it all!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 17:17:53

Paul Magnussen

quote:

When I think about classical guitar, I MUCH preferred the beautiful playing of a player like Julian Bream to the technical wizardry of Elliot Fisk.

I couldn’t agree more. Eliot (sp.) seems to be a very nice person (this is what I hear, I’ve never met him), but his recitals always seemed to me like runaway locomotives — I kept waiting for the trainwreck, which isn’t really the optimum response.

Conversely, the passion (and rhythm!) and Bream’s playing is what‘s always made him my favourite lutenist, despite all the bellyaching by purists about "playing the lute with guitar technique”.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 17:34:11

rickm

ok lets put this on tv or at least you tube so the rest of us minions can see it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 17:43:20

Paul Magnussen

RE: Sabicas documentary premiere Thu... (in reply to rickm

quote:

ok lets put this on tv or at least you tube so the rest of us minions can see it.

Surely you jest!

Do you expect them to blow all the money and time and effort this must have cost to make out of the goodness of their hearts?

I should love to see this in San Francisco, but if not I’m happy to wait for the DVD.

Either way I expect to pay my money down.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 17:50:40

Red_Label

quote:

I couldn’t agree more. Eliot (sp.) seems to be a very nice person (this is what I hear, I’ve never met him), but his recitals always seemed to me like runaway locomotives — I kept waiting for the trainwreck, which isn’t really the optimum response.

Conversely, the passion (and rhythm!) and Bream’s playing is what‘s always made him my favourite lutenist, despite all the bellyaching by purists about "playing the lute with guitar technique”.

I've never seen a Fisk performance live. But when I first heard he'd done Paganini's Caprices, I just HAD to have that album and hear a classical guitarist actually DO such complicated/speedy works. I found that though I was VERY impressed with his chops (he did not let me down), his tone was very thin. And the music didn't really move me. Admittedly, that's not Fisk's fault, moreso Paganini's for those compositions. In that sense, I MUCH prefer Bach who was able to brilliantly combine beautiful melody AND technical difficulty in his compositions. But it's great to hear that Fisk is such a nice character.

Speaking of "nice character", I'm a member of another forum where one of the members is a nephew of Bream's. He said that "uncle" is doing well, but fairly reclusive any more and relaxing in his sunset years -- or something to that effect. This was a couple of months ago. Growing-up where I did (and continue to live here), seeing all of these giants of music history is something I'll never get to do. I envy you for being somewhere you could witness such beauty, and having been around long enough to have done so. I'll have to make-do with YouTube.

Btw... interesting that you mentioned the issue of purists and Bream's lute technique. I've found that in my varied musical meanderings... the hard-line purists of ANY genre I've been interested-in have turned me off the most. From Bill Monroe and his minions in bluegrass, to Segovia and his minions in classical. I MUCH prefer the willingness to absorb and infuse that guys like PDL have shown. It may not keep traditions pure when such influential artists do that, but being a bit of a sponge myself, that resonates with me. I can't fathom how someone could spend a lifetime doing just ONE thing, trying to do it the SAME way every time, and remain interested over time. I'm WAY too ADD to ever do that!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 19:16:59
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post