Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Lard   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: Lard (in reply to estebanana

Ah, yes. When Sachio Kojima had Kabuto on Geary Boulevard in San Francisco, he usually had good mirugai, and often had excellent hokkigai. Delicious.

For my benefit, Sachio-san and my Japanese girl friend spoke English, except for risquè comments. When we would sit down at the bar, my girl would always ask, "What's good tonight?"

The response was always, "Everything good."

At last I inquired why she bothered to ask, since the answer was always the same. She replied, "I thought you were smart, Richard. Just watch."

Next time I noticed that the first thing she ordered was what his knife happened to be pointing at when he said, "Everything good."

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 19 2013 16:16:08

guitarbuddha

RE: Lard (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

Next time I noticed that the first thing she ordered was what his knife happened to be pointing at when he said, "Everything good."

RNJ

I'll watch out for that one Richard, good tip.

I always find a big menu worrying.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 20 2013 0:38:42

estebanana

RE: Lard (in reply to Richard Jernigan

When I lived in Big Sur CA for the summers during the mid 1980's I worked at Ventana Inn in the restaurant to make money for the school year. When not toiling away on the lunch terrace delivering plates of calamari and suffering the view of the Pacific Ocean from 500 feet atop a hillside, I was taking part in daily Big Sur life. Since I was an anthropology-geology student then, I was deep into examining the particular culture of this odd sixty mile long strip of Californism. I would station myself on benches or browse the Nepenthe bookstore with ears open.

The River Inn, another wayside attraction on the Coast Highway once you enter the Big Sur Valley, put on a buffet every so often to advertise. Tourists off the road could pull in have a drink and get a snack at the buffet table then eat it at a table by the river. The owner of the River at that time was an veteran of the Hippie Wars; he spent his non office hours knee deep in the river balancing rocks and wooing tourists and locals alike with his skills of concentration. He hired vagabonds, hippie refugees and creatures that had escaped from the pack that followed The Dead to work in the kitchen.

On one of these buffet tables during one of those summers a chef de cuisine of the River Inn made a Buddha figure to complete the table and give it some point of focus. Two locals who had been drinking in the bar and had come up for air and a plate of sandwiches made their way down the table grazing and placing cut meats on their plates. When they arrived at the figure on exclaimed: "What the hell is that purporting to be?" The other replied as of it were a normal part of daily life. "It is not purporting, that's a lard Buddha."

Duality slayed.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 22 2013 2:10:25
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll