Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Animals are not supposed to preconceive   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

Animals are not supposed to preconceive 

Have you ever watched a fruit "stealing" dog?

I have dogs and love them to bits.
And yet they experience me turning into Hulk from time to time.
Either when one of the males tries to mark in the garage, or when any of them vanadals in the garden.

It is not really a garden, not even nearly. Just a meagre line of soil which notwithstandingly once looked like this.

Now it is all deserted with only some of the trees still alive. ( They killed all of the plants and three of the trees by repeatedly digging out roots and cutting them off.)
Now, I could convince them to a degree to refrain from destroying roots, but the vandals still like to break off leafs and branches.
And as I hardly catch them in the act, they only wonder why a friendly guy like me will out of a sudden flip out from time to time shouting and gesticulating like a raging sailor.

Anyway, somehow they grasped that I do not appreciate them approaching the remaining trees.

Now what has occured lately is that the apricots are near ripe, and Charlie the worst of the tree vandals has developed interest in snatching them.

I, meanwhile behind a webcam or behind a curtain, see him process as follows:

Waits until I have went upstairs. Lays down a bit like absent minded.
Starts looking at the house, checking the windows.
Sits up after a while checking all windows for possibly pushed a side curtains. Back and forth window after window. With the silence in the house he seems to know that I am stalking.
Keeps staring for a loooong time, still making sure that I won´t observe.
Stays persitent with observing until he hears me rumbling further inside the house.

Then he turns around jumps up, grabs an apricote including what´s around it and takes it to a remote corner of the yard.
Jolly like a kings fisher.

What I was going to say is, don´t forget:
Animal intellect won´t suffice for planing anything.

Never, ever.

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 26 2013 17:28:34

Richard Jernigan

RE: Animals are not supposed to prec... (in reply to Ruphus

While we lived in Alaska, wild strawberries grew in our back yard. Intending to serve some at a dinner party, Mom warned us boys to leave them alone. But when she went to pick some on the day of the dinner, all had been harvested.

We were interrogated. We denied culpability. She didn't outright accuse us of lying, but we were sternly warned to obey in future.

At times Mom's Scottish heritage came to the surface. One day we heard her exclaiming loudly, "Fie, fie, you thieving scoundrel! Let those berries be!"

We went to see what was happening.

She apologized to us. She had let our little Boston Terrier out to do his business. He didn't like to stay outdoors very long during spring and summer, due to the plague of mosquitoes, so usually he got right to work on his task of elimination. But this time he made straight for the new crop of ripe strawberries and commenced feasting, while she reviled his larceny.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2013 19:58:27

Leñador

Not fruit but I had a sandwich stealing Great Dane.
First time it happened I was baffled. I had the sandwich finished on the counter, turned around to get my drink and by the time I turned around the sandwich was gone. I looked at the dog and he was just there staring at me as he was before, I looked on the ground, in the sink etc. only to discover when I pried his mouth open he had the entire sandwich in his mouth and was waiting for me to leave so he could chew it! Sneaky bastard.......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2013 20:06:18

Ruphus

Haaaaahahahaha!

That one made me almost laugh to tears!!

And it reminded me of the following:

In the eraly eighties I had 6 large plants in our flat ( girlfirend & mine) of the kind that have leafs looking similar to hands and which can be smoked or so.

My tom cat would engage all kind of tricks to secretly slip into that romm together with me when I entered for watering the pots. And when about to leave the room, remembering that the cat could be inside you would only see him under the bed with the tips of a leaf sticking out of his mouth.

He was just crazy after that plant ( only in its natural form, not interested in processed stuff). And after consumption he would stretch out on his back preferably in the middle of a doorway and be totally stoned.

Anyway, one day prematurely I had taken off one leaf and put in the oven for it to dry and see whether it could be tasting already.
The cat wasn´t even in the kitchen, but in another room when someone rang the door.

I had just taken the leaf out from the oven and left on the counter when wlaking those 3 or so meters to push the door opener button. After making sure that the door downstairs actually opened I turned around into the kitchen and the leaf was gone.

Like you with the sandwich I looked everywhere several times and again. On the counter, in the oven, on the table, in the cabinets ... I couldn´t believe it.
The less as there was no one crumb to be seen.

The cat laying on its back minutes later asured me of what had happened.

-

The dogs badly vanadalized on the trees last night. You can look through the trees meanwhile as if the were bald headed.
Desperately, I today completely ignored them all day through ( heartbreaking how they follow you so dearly puzzled then) and have now at night all lights on in the yard to catch them in the act.

You wouldn´t believe how they prepare to avoid that and yet snatch a branch.

They just figure out when I am peeping behind the curtains.

Ruphus

PS:

Richard,

When my brother once ate a whole family package of ice cream, I found myself in a similar situation like you above. Though knowing me straight my old lady wouldn´t want to believe that I wasn´t the offender until finaly my brother confessed.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 27 2013 22:38:23

Gummy

I wonder if you could "mark" that area in the way dogs do and keep them away? Might be a fun experiment anyway
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 2:46:52

Ruphus

That could be interesting.
In fact our refraining from such belongs to the many things that appear weird in dogs view. On the one hand we claim the superiour position on the other hand we do not stop at landmarks for pissing on them.

But if I went and marked the trees ... ( maybe even by avoiding the increase of my western nuts image of peeing in the yard, and filling some spray container to use that ) ... dunno ...
You never know what it could kick off. Also our pee misses all the messaging components that dogs "write & read".

If eaten a jam toast before it could accidentally turn out as a mark of "I can´t stand the object. It should be all chewed off". Or an omelette could turn out as a call to vehemently defend the yard, ruining my attempts to have the pack ignore daily hosts of intruding idiots.

But on a more serious note; my bad temper in conjunction with the vandalism has led to the dogs perceiving me as much too authoritarian. I even partly observe shy reactions now which I hate to see.
( They still fall head over heels for me, but I am getting increasingly unpredictable for them. Because of my eruptions having happened almost all after the fact / for them randomly appearing.)

And I fear that if I marked in the yard now the dominance could be only emphasized.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 8:34:35

Ricardo

My dog loves people food of course, but has never been a "snatcher". Except one time. I had prepared a flamenco video night for my lonely self. A full plate of jamon serrano and manchego cheese, I set up the DVD player and put food on TV tray table infront of couch. I went to pour a glass of ice cold manzanilla and ready to go, but just a moment to take a pee before the festivity. In just a minute I returned with my sherry glass to discover my dog lying happily on the couch and my plate completely empty.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 17:39:48

Leñador

quote:

I wonder if you could "mark" that area in the way dogs do and keep them away? Might be a fun experiment anyway

Like pee on my sandwich?

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 20:08:55

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Then he turns around jumps up, grabs an apricote including what´s around it and takes it to a remote corner of the yard.

At least your dog eats one fruit at a time; the squirrels go through every peach on our tree and carefully take one bite out of each

(I forgive them though — I like seeing their little buck-toothed faces peering down at me when I go out into the garden. And what amazing acrobats!)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 20:49:02

Ruphus

All that observation and penalting ignorance, until today afternoon when I couldn´t keep it up anymore and cuddled them. Then my neighbour called me and when I returned two hours or so later they had broken off a major branch.

I couldn´t behave myself anymore, took that thing and beat them with it. No pain with all those fluffy leafs on it, but stress for them all. I didn´t care.
I am still nuts about it.
What a &%&$§$"!!!

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 22:35:23

guitarbuddha

RE: Animals are not supposed to prec... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

(I forgive them though — I like seeing their little buck-toothed faces peering down at me when I go out into the garden. And what amazing acrobats!)

Yeah I find squirrels inspiring too. Poetry in motion and exquisite poise when stationary.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 28 2013 22:54:18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote