Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Maple cutaway   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Thank you Tom, I certainly don't merit the maestro part , hope you just using that to be supportive.

I usually say the same thing, keep after one design and make it as good as you possibly can. I have two designs I have been making and I also have a few plantillas I use, but a new idea now and then can't hurt, right? I've even toyed with doing double tops, but still feel there lots of possibilities for solid wood yet.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2013 0:07:16

estebanana

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

he broad, flat braces will only hold the shape of the top better than regular braces if they stiffen the top more than regular braces. And if they are that stiff it seems like they would just be adding more weight than necessary compared to regular braces. No?

Nah, that top ain't going anywhere else, I'm pretty sure.

The real point of that design was not to scoop the space between soundhole and bridge but to move the cross grain flex lower on the face and mechanically open up the cross grain flexibility below the bridge. At the same time keeping the top stiff laterally across the top under the bridge for power. There's not much give under the bridge off the wings of the bridge to the edges, but below the bridge there's give.

The premise was not to sacrifice stiffness across the grain, yet get a funky cross grain flex behind the bridge. I tried the same thing on a few other guitars with a Bouchet bar but never liked the result, so I turned to straps.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 15 2013 0:20:12

Tom Blackshear

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Thank you Tom, I certainly don't merit the maestro part

Sure you do, as this title can come very quickly when you are doing things right. I have commanded this title simply because of my age :-)

But I still consider myself to be a guitar maker, not a Luthier, simply, as I make only guitars.

And you have good hands, so all you have to do is perfect your work as far as you can go, and the players will beat a path to your door.

I can only suggest that you pay close attention to the old masters and their work, as there is much to learn from their contributions to the art. And then fine-tune their work to such a degree that it becomes your own; even better than when you started.....Ole!

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2013 18:01:11

Ricardo

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

And then fine-tune their work to such a degree that it becomes your own;

now when you say "fine-tune" what do you mean exactly?

Just kidding

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2013 20:06:32

Tom Blackshear

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Ricardo

I understand the joke

I said this is reference to his playing skills, which always helps a guitar maker to find his equilibrium.

He knows what he is looking for, as a player.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 16 2013 20:59:20

Tom Blackshear

I listened to this guitar again today, and honestly, if I were a singer I would be intimidated all to heck, the guitar is so loud.

Not only do you have one of America's great flamenco guitarists playing your instruments but you have a tremendous need to experiment with different designs. I hope you take the best out of every design you have built and put them into a phenomenal instrument.

It seems that you have the talent to do it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2013 22:30:38

estebanana

Thanks Tom.
I'm going to make this design again, but first I have to fill some orders with more standard designs, then I'll experiment again once those obligations are fulfilled.

Jason needed certain tool and I tried to provide it. One thing about this guitar is that it plays really easy, ligados and alzapua are easy to generate. And the access to the upper registers is quite open. Jason gigs a few times a week and he needs a guitar that wont tear him up, yet still has some guts, I think I managed to get both things in this guitar. At some point I hope a cleaner recording comes out, this was done on an iPhone...

He plays jobs with a dual internal mic system that picks up the sound hole and under the bridge. He can manipulate the sound quite a bit, so in a sense this guitar is a platform for his sound system. Since I knew that going in I made the guitar play soft and was not worried about making it loud, it just happens to be loud when played acoustically...well he he not just happens to be. The thing I wanted was a guitar that felt wonderful to play so he would not stress at gigs.

He has about four or five nice guitars to choose from now and mine if just one of them. Ironically, since I left town, I have not heard him play my guitar in public and I really miss my professional guitar playing friends.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 0:50:35

Miguel de Maria

Damn, Stephen, you are doing a nice sales job on me here.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 2 2013 3:44:40
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll