Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Maple cutaway   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Tom Blackshear

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to ralexander

quote:

Really nice sound out of your hybrid guitar

I second that but I would like to hear the G string tuned down a little to where it is more even with the treble out put. To my hearing, it seems to cloud the rest of the voice a little. But the guitar is nicely done.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2013 13:10:18

guitarbuddha

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to estebanana

I think that if you look really carefully you will see that the left ear on this guitar is bigger that the right.

Could well lead to it's having difficulties following directions from the captain in a soccer match.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2013 13:21:51

Leñador

Now that you've got your own guitar you can start givin us a whooping in the challenges.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2013 13:36:09

constructordeguitarras

Bravo, Stephen! And thanks for sharing about the soundboard design.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2013 16:48:20

jshelton5040

Nice raspy, boxy voice Stephan. I like it (except for the cutaway part). Is that a deep body?

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2013 21:44:34

RibNibbler

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to jshelton5040

he just posted this other ridiculous thing on the toy feria guitar...

Flamenco Guitar is a percussion instrument. Start acting like percussionists.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 9 2013 23:53:38

Leñador

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Blasphemer!
Hahaha, that's awesome.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 0:13:37

guitarbuddha

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to RibNibbler

Jean Mark Belcadi took way too much hair tonic.

Seriously though, who says the disco killed guitar, not me for sure. Respect the funk !

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 10:58:24

estebanana

I noticed he is playing under a painting by John Singer Sargeant a clear and present dilletante'.

I think I might change the strings to Savarez ~ not sure if I get the whole post assembly tuning drift..I rather like a big G string, she's got abig ass to cover up.

I'd be interested in explaining that brace idea further to see what the other builders make of my reasoning for doing that.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 12:43:24

Leñador

quote:

Seriously though, who says the disco killed guitar, not me for sure. Respect the funk !

I agree, I've always hated super jazzy easy listening mixed with flamenco but the funk I can definitely get into.
You should've heard the stuff he was doing at the last show I saw, it was great, brought the noise and brought the funk!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 15:50:25

Sean

Interesting bracing pattern mystery
Looks like you were thinking about that open woody sound you get with fewer braces.
You wanted more control of the doming then 3 fan braces would give, so you went with the flat braces.
You didn't want the guitar to be over powered by the basses so you added the closing bars, but inverted them to keep with the open theme.
Stiffness and control with a more open sound is the theme I see.

Scratch that

Its just a continuation on the alien thing
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 17:34:58

gj Michelob

quote:

he just posted this other ridiculous thing on the toy feria guitar...

RibNib... You seem to be quite close to the Maestro... please convey our warmest regards!!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 18:37:19

Pgh_flamenco

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to gj Michelob

quote:

RibNib... You seem to be quite close to the Maestro... please convey our warmest regards!!

As far as I can tell RibNibbler is Jason McGuire. It might be in Jason's best interest to apologize to Simon and ask to be allowed back on FF if interacting on this site is that important to him.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 19:25:48

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I'd be interested in explaining that brace idea further to see what the other builders make of my reasoning for doing that.

Yes, always interested in serious tuning and construction ideals. There are many ways and designs for guitars that work quite well.

I gave my technique for fan bracing in general but there are other techniques that work.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 20:05:18

RibNibbler

quote:

RibNib... You seem to be quite close to the Maestro...

I subscribed to his YouTube channel. Kazakhstan is far, far away from the kalifornia.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 21:49:27

mezzo

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Pgh_flamenco

quote:

As far as I can tell

As far as I can tell, when I first subscribe on the foro and uploaded a file to share a little bit of my playing, pgh made BIG claims about my vicious attempt to spread virus around !
So as far as I can tell you're a little bit paranoid man and you shouldn't drop out the pills...

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 21:50:53

Sean

RibNibbler is not Jason McGuire. RibNibbler is Jason McGuire's beard; its become self-aware.
Even Jason's beard plays better then me, so I welcome its input.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 22:28:51

gj Michelob

quote:

Kazakhstan is far, far away from the kalifornia.

is it near ... Kazoakland?

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 22:34:21

RibNibbler

quote:

is it near ... Kazoakland?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 22:57:37

Pgh_flamenco

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Sean

quote:

RibNibbler is not Jason McGuire. RibNibbler is Jason McGuire's beard; its become self-aware.
Even Jason's beard plays better then me, so I welcome its input.

I'd like to see JM join the forum again, but it is not up to me. I am aware of blowups on other forums and the banned members were allowed back in at a later date.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 23:02:35

Pgh_flamenco

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to mezzo

quote:

As far as I can tell,

You are way off base here, Mezzo. I recall posting a warning about a virus attached to a file I began to download, but never made any claim that it was a “vicious” attempt on the part of the person who posted it. As I recall the warning was well-received. Apparently you’ve been upset about this for approximately three years. If you had a grievance you took a LONG time to bring it up. Your comments are inaccurate and seem rather petty in this context.

You don’t know me and you do not know my habits. Although I can’t really tell what you are trying to say due to your issues with grammar: Based on your comments you are certainly not an honest person or a good judge of character.

I don’t make unfounded claims about people and suggest you shouldn’t make such claims either.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 23:23:10

RibNibbler

grammar schrammer, English is some of our second, third or fourth language. give us a break already.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 23:54:15

guitarbuddha

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 11 2013 0:01:50
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 10 2013 23:59:22

nhills

Hey people!
This forum is about lutherie.
Skip the other stuff - you've already driven off one valuable member!

"The duende is God's orgasm." - Antonio Canales

"I'm just a poor crazy man in love with his art." - Santos Hernandez (as translated by R. Brune)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 11 2013 2:06:24

estebanana

RE: J. McGuire playing S. Faulk Mapl... (in reply to Sean

quote:

nteresting bracing pattern mystery
Looks like you were thinking about that open woody sound you get with fewer braces.
You wanted more control of the doming then 3 fan braces would give, so you went with the flat braces.
You didn't want the guitar to be over powered by the basses so you added the closing bars, but inverted them to keep with the open theme

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes bracing.

Sean your idea is close, but I was not thinking totally about arching. When Jason Mc Guire went to Australia last summer he met Jim Redgate and looked at a flamenco guitar he had made. Jason explained to me that Redgate intentionally reverse arches a section of the top in his classical guitars. I was thinking about this idea and thought that the old flamenco guitars I've seen that sounded good can often have a very flat if not dished out top between the bridge and sound hole. I don't know if that has anything to do with the sound, I say that because there is always a guy who has an opinion on these things. But Jason explained Redgate's idea, whether I understood it correctly or not I used what I thought was the idea. I may have gotten it wrong, but if so I ended up with a interesting idea as a result of listening to the explanation.

I used the flat braces and made then shorter so the area behind the bridge would be more open, but the braces where glued on to be flat a make that section of the top flat. Under tension I hoped it would actually pull the top between the bridge and sound hole into a negative arch.

The bridge strap was put in with a bit of arching on the solera and thinned carefully to a taper by flexing the top as I planed it. The judgement of how flexible to leave the top in the cross grain direction was just subjective flex and plane. When it felt 'right' I stopped.

I then cut the strap and layed in the flat braces and the normal fan braces, but I did them so they are pretty much flat, not pressed into an arch. Then I added the fishbone/peace sign braces in near the tail block to support that area and stiffen it.

I saw a 'line' between the outer fan brace and the where the normal cut off bars would go and I figured I could get away with indirectly bracing that area by the stiffness of the rim and the fish bone brace.

What I was intending to do is keep cross grain stiffness under the bridge, keep the areas of below the waist stiff and move the most cross grain flexibility of the top to the area behind the bridge, lower into the lower bout and in the center behind the bridge. The reasoning was the top pulls the bridge up under tension and drives the front of the bridge down while lifting the back of the bridge. The old guitars which beak down under that stress show the lower area of the bout behind the bridge in full arch, while the front of the bridge is flat and slightly concave. Basically I just built that structure into the guitar in such a way that it won't collapse. I've always had good luck making that area behind the bridge a bit more loose, so this time I accentuated the looseness while keeping the other areas cross grain stiffness tight.

So I'm curious if anyone has ever experimented with these ideas? Mind you I did not make this a radical departure from the a normal five fan flamenco guitar, but just made it easier for the guitar to settle into this structure. I'm going to try it again just to see if it was a fluke of luck, or if there is something to it.

In addition to that the Black Acacia bridge has fairly thin wings and it was glued on flat by pressing it into the top with braces from the outside. After the braces came off the top was slightly deformed flat, but sprung back overnight. Under tension the top pulled up a 1/32" and it gained about that much neck relief. The top is not super thin it is quite varied in thickness due to the differences in stiffness of each of the two panels.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2013 2:22:05

Sean

The Redgate Wave guitar is the exact opposite; convex between the bridge and tail block. He does some unique side profiling to help achieve his shape.

It was really interesting reading along while looking at the picture of your work, and getting inside your brain; I particularly liked the "Do Not Disturb" sign at the entrance.

Your take on the flat top sounds very different, especially when pushed.
Sound is hard to describe, but I'd use more "edginess" when pushed.
Definitely worth exploring another go.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 12 2013 19:21:46

estebanana

Good thing I totally misunderstood Redgates idea and used it the wrong way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2013 8:28:09

Andy Culpepper

I would think that good flamenco guitars acquire that flatness or dip in front of the bridge over some time. That controlled, not excessive dip is a sign that the top isn't too stiff.
I would be a little worried if I saw a noticeable dip in front of the bridge right after stringing up the guitar because it will increase over time.
The broad, flat braces will only hold the shape of the top better than regular braces if they stiffen the top more than regular braces. And if they are that stiff it seems like they would just be adding more weight than necessary compared to regular braces. No?

Not knocking the sound of the guitar because it sounds very good to my ears.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2013 20:02:18

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

You have a certain talent for greatness and if I were you I would stick with a design that works exceptionally well and exploit the heck out of it.

I know the boring part of sticking with a design until it speaks to the soul but this is what it takes.

Be a master of one excellent prototype instead of a jack of all trades with different designs...you have it in you, Maestro.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2013 21:32:42

C. Vega

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Bob Ruck tells the story of building a guitar with an asymmetrical bracing pattern for a customer only to remember after the box was already assembled and bound that it was supposed to be for a left handed player and he had it braced with what he thought/felt was a pattern for a right-handed guitar. He went ahead and finished the guitar braced as it already was and just set it up for a lefty player.
It turned out that the customer was totally delighted with the guitar so Ruck saw no reason to tell him about the "screwup".
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 13 2013 21:45:50
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post