Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Dispatches from Akune   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to estebanana

Ruphus ,

DO NOT piss on this thread with your negativity. I have had as much of your brand of crap as I can stand. You pissed long and hard on my comments about art history and I'll be damned if you piss on my writing about Japan.

I consider any and every negative comment from you a Personal Attack from here forward and I will report them to the moderator. I am sick and tired of you stalking me with your negative bullsh*t .

If you do not quit bothering me and the moderator does not stop your behavior I will leave this list as Anders did.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 2:04:43

estebanana

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

I don't like to see salt water aquariums. Having grown accustomed to the way fish act on the reef, their aquarium behavior fills me with dread. Seeing a pod of dolphins cavorting in the ocean seems always to bring a smile to people's faces. I know it does for me. I don't go to Sea World.

One of the ideas being floated about Taiji is to change it into a place where people can come to encounter dolphins in the wild. As life long surfer, and hopefully I'll get out in the water here soon, I know exactly what you mean about seeing a pod of dolphins in nature. I preach against marine parks too, they are horrible for environmentalism. They drive the market for the live cetacean trade and it is so depressing to see a dolphin in captivity with its spirit broken. They only perform for the food.

1500 dives? Wow. Envious of your life. Only thing I have had that comes close is surfing at Trestles in San Clemente CA ~ A pod of Orca swam through the line up of us floating on our boards waiting to catch waves. Not a one of us panicked or looked distressed, everyone just watched them pass through and the Orca pod had calves with them.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 2:58:44

Ruphus

Stephen,

I do not piss on anyone.
Maybe you do, but I have respect for the people.

I do not have to care whether you perceive something personally. That is your personal job.

What I do is merely naming things in the way I see them in an insane and fatally destroying world.
Mentioning such a worlds conditions will always trigger carefree calls for beheading the courier, but if responding to such made any sense I would had not mentioned the conditions in the first place.

Your aggressions are your problem and it wouldn´t be constructive if I let myself blackmail from it in the way that you request.

Like with politics and art, in psychology as well you make me wonder where behind all that quoting your actual level of comprehension is when you prove to not even know about the ordinary psychological strategy that you try to imploy with such blackmailing.

And BTW, the thread where you exposed your cluelessness about the efforts for art making was not your thread. You felt prepared to join us and start warshipping pseudo art in a way that fellow members named to me as "pompous".

And don´t insinuate a parallel of yours to Anders.
Anders is very different from you and has all my sympathy in how he deals with and approaches matters.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 8:04:30

Escribano

I agree that these discussions should not to be always diverging into a negative view about the state of the World or a national culture.

We are mature enough to hold our own views and I ask that we be polite enough to know when they are inappropriate and bring down the mood of the thread.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 8:10:10

Arash

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to Ruphus

Ruphus,

if you should accept a little "recommandation" from me:

Even if i (or maybe some others) would agree with some of your thoughts .... This thread is more or less Stephens peaceful "personal" thread where he posts "dispatches from Akune". Maybe more to be seen like a "diary", a little place in the foro where he shares his "diary".... at least thats how i understand it. So maybe it should be treated a little different than other threads?
I know that this is a public forum and everyone should be allowed to post whatever they want whereever they want (different views, etc.), but sometimes a little more sensitivity would be helpful in order not to provoke negative feelings.
Don't know how to describe better what i mean. Hope you get what i mean.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 11:24:27

Ruphus

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

Ruphus,

if you should accept a little "recommandation" from me:

Even if i (or maybe some others) would agree with some of your thoughts .... This thread is more or less Stephens peaceful "personal" thread where he posts "dispatches from Akune". Maybe more to be seen like a "diary", a little place in the foro where he shares his "diary".... at least thats how i understand it. So maybe it should be treated a little different than other threads?
I know that this is a public forum and everyone should be allowed to post whatever they want whereever they want (different views, etc.), but sometimes a little more sensitivity would be helpful in order not to provoke negative feelings.
Don't know how to describe better what i mean. Hope you get what i mean.

Yes,

I already promissed Simon to try not talking to Stephen anymore.
In general, not just in this thread; which I will not be looking into anyway.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 12:51:07

Richard Jernigan

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: guitarbuddha

Strange though how people who don't flinch at murder on the great stage find tortured animals intolerable. Almost like an outlet for a heart for a long time conditioned against its true nature.

D.

Interesting. Do you know, or know of such a tender hearted murderer? It would be fascinating to hear more about such a person, preferably in a different thread. If you are reticent, it would be understandable. Writing about a murderer on a public forum could place you in mortal danger, now that it is so easy to track an IP address to a physical location.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 17:17:47

Escribano

Let's get back on-topic i.e. Stephen's missives from Japan and leave these kind of subjects to another place and another time.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 17:25:37

guitarbuddha

I have been enjoying Stephen's posts here, sometimes very much. My musing on animal cruelty were general and more to do with the media than any one person.

I don't really understand the IP thing Richard. I have been enjoying your contributions here and elsewhere. I hope to continue doing so and apologise for my clumsiness.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 31 2013 20:09:36

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

1500 dives? Wow. Envious of your life.

I was older than you are now when I did the first of my 1500 dives in the Pacific. Plenty of time.....

My buddies and I did at least two dives almost every weekend, and usually took one or two trips per year where we would do at least two dives a day for a week or two. Over 18 1/2 years it added up.

Living in Japan with someone as pretty, smart and nice as Yuko, working as a luthier...sounds pretty enviable to me.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 1 2013 19:53:58

estebanana

Thank you for the kind words Richard, yes Yuko is pretty special and as Florian said about his lovely wife to be, very patient.

I moved into my new studio space day before yesterday. I may flip up a photo of the new digs. I built table and procured some storage selves that are quite clean and professional looking. The new shop is a lot better than the shop space Richard saw when he and I met in California. It is 26' x 16', second story of a former salt storage warehouse and has four windows over looking the 'hood. For the guitar makers in the crowd: The RH hovers between 50 and 60 % most clear days and with some taming will be suitable for safe building.

I have been very disturbed the last few days about this series of reports on my newfound personal joy and guitar making move to a new country. I've been debating whether I should just keep it personal and not share it with the general public, or move this writing to a new location that would be moderated my myself. I have enjoyed the interaction with others on the Foro, for the most part, and I love hearing the stories of others on the Foro that have been generated from this topic. Something inside me is giving me pause to continue to put my personal life out in public in this space, and the pause has to do with not feeling safe on the Foro to show what I'm doing. I've studied Japan ever since I was a kid and it's been a mini odyssey to actually move here. I'm interested in sharing my personal experience, but I'm not interested in having to mentally process uncalled for condescending and negative remarks about the people of Japan who have graciously received me into their community here in Akune.

My appreciation goes out to those of you who have been supporters of this crazy little ride.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2013 14:22:37

guitarbuddha

Stephen, please continue.

EVERYONE is not only wishing you well but, I am sure, quietly confident that you will make a great success of your enterprise.

We are all artists here and probably more sensitive than most.

A change of situation is always stressful, you seem to be coping manfully. And if it has made some of your posts wistful then these are the ones which I have enjoyed most.

And if others have carried resentments here or, like me, clumsiness, please give us the benefit of the doubt.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2013 14:36:08

BarkellWH

Please do continue to post your Dispatches from Akune, Stephen. You have good friends here with many interests in common (travel, deep interest in other cultures, shared experiences of Micronesia, literature, the night we probably had one too many beers at the Edinburgh Pub in SF upon my return from Micronesia, etc.). Your posts from Akune, in fact your thoughtful posts on any subject, are always welcome. Don't deny us the benefit of your wisdom, experience, and good cheer.

Cheers amigo,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2013 16:34:02

Miguel de Maria

I think there's a rather simple way to deal with the issue, Stephen. If there's a certain party who's consistently bothering you, put him on the ignore list. It's easy and it works. I even have a couple people on the ignore list because their posts' formatting messes up the threads for me. The other folks here can commit to not respond to political or other hot-button issues on this thread. If you're in, I'm in.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2013 16:53:49

Richard Jernigan

Stephen, please keep up the reports from Japan. I find them fascinating. I'm sure everyone else does as well.

If a person treats you disrespectfully, he does not deserve any of your attention at all.

That is, unless you would enjoy picking a fight with him.

But by all means, please keep up the tales of Japan.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 5 2013 18:13:12

estebanana

Since I've broken bread ( uni) and opened beers ( guzzled pints and pints) with you guys I trust you. I don't enjoy starting fights, but if someone one picks one wrongfully with me I usually try to put it to a definitive ending. I think I have to re think this and not bother doing that because the problem with fighntg with someone who does not understand the depth of your experience means the fight has no meaning or can't reach a meaningful conclusion for either of you.

We were taught at art school, yeah the soft subjects, that you stand there on the firing line in a seminar class and if someone tried to take you down you basically just blast them out of the water if they are wrong. If you are surrounded by a group of other artists who know the literature, history and have logged enough studio time to understand you, they basically back you up. Outside of this context the knowledge that I have is more difficult convey because not everyone has the specialized reference points.

When I hear outrageous lies, perpetuated over and over, such as the whopper that the US Dept. of State backed New York school AB EX painters in a ploy to spread US propaganda across Communist Europe in the 1950's I balk and I balk hard. First of all, some of those painters were just trying to get enough to eat or pocket change to go to the Cedar Bar to drink. Flabbergasting news that the State Dept. used than as pawns in a propaganda game. It never happened. Trust me.

It's like someone walking up to you and telling you that the pyramid of Giza is really an ancient space ship. Probably not. However since it's the internet, learning, tough minded scholarship and experience don't count. Next time someone tells me the half dozen greatest artists of the second half of the twentieth century are talentless charlatans, I'll just turn heel and go to the bar in Akune I went to last night and have a good long laugh and toast those artists I love.

Speaking of art and bars, in Japan one can get hitched much faster and easier than one can rent a work shop in which to do some high flatutin' woodworking. It takes seven pages filled out in duplicate ( for a total of 14 pages) of documents that must be stamped with a personal seal registered with the city. Three separate people need to stamp the documents in several places. To get hitched it takes a two page document and two seals and two signatures and and the clerks file it really fast, it takes about 15 minutes and one visit downtown, whereas the studio renting process takes two visits and two freaking hours.

Or so I am told. I would not know about this personally.

At any rate, just thinking about all this stuff made me want a drink that was stronger than the hot water and shochu. Yuko found an "Irish Pub" about a 1/4 mile away and last night, for no good reason at all, we walked 440 some yards over the river bridge and down some rough asphalt streets without names to the Irish Pub. I had a single malt scotch and a few beers that were domestic micro brews from up north. They were IPA style and one had dashi in it. Dashi as you might know is fish broth. The scotch killed the taste of bad humor in my mouth and the fish broth was hardly discernible so I enjoyed them both. Yuko had her usual mojito and a coconut flavored drink.

Tonight I make pasta with a delicious tomato sauce and we had avocado sashimi and red wine from Chile. For desert I make banana sashimi with a dust of roasted soy flour and powdered brown sugar, served with plum wine on lemon and ice with a dash of Angostura Bitters.

And thats the way it was, Friday June 7th, 2013

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 14:30:40

Leñador

quote:

At any rate, just thinking about all this stuff made me want a drink that was stronger than the hot water and shochu. Yuko found an "Irish Pub" about a 1/4 mile away and last night, for no good reason at all, we walked 440 some yards over the river bridge and down some rough asphalt streets without names to the Irish Pub. I had a single malt scotch and a few beers that were domestic micro brews from up north. They were IPA style and one had dashi in it. Dashi as you might know is fish broth. The scotch killed the taste of bad humor in my mouth and the fish broth was hardly discernible so I enjoyed them both. Yuko had her usual mojito and a coconut flavored drink.

Japanese microbrews at in Irish pub in the middle of Japan??? that's awseome! I imagine the theory behind the dashi was to give it some sort of umami effect, which is a little strange with an IPA but definitely worth a try.

Avacados?? Do you know if they import them or grow them there?? They're pricey in Cali and we grow 'em, I can't imagine what they would cost somewhere where they have to import them. They expire minutes after they off the damn tree!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 14:58:09

Richard Jernigan

Stephen, you might find this interesting:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/modern-art-was-cia-weapon-1578808.html

In this article, Tom Braden, the first Chief of the CIA's International Operations Division, discusses the CIA's role in funding European exhibits of American painting during the Cold War.

However, Braden denies that the CIA had any role in the instigation or development of Abstract Expressionism. He says that many left wing intellectuals were closer to Moscow than they were to the U.S. government. That's one major reason the CIA's role had to be covert. The Agency insulated itself from the recipients of its benefits by third or fourth parties.

Thus, although the CIA did support Abstract Expressionism as an example of American intellectual freedom, the Abstract Expressionists themselves were unaware of the Agency's involvement, according to Braden.

The CIA itself, on its official web page,

http://tinyurl.com/yzwba64

discusses its financial role in the founding of the Congress for Cultural Freedom, a conduit for CIA funds to liberal intellectuals, including the very successful British journal Encounter. The Congress was organized to counter the succession of "peace conferences" organized and funded by the Soviet Union, which took place in New York and European capitals at the end of the 1940s and beginning of the 1950s.

When it was revealed publicly, by an article in the New York Times, April 27, 1966 that the Congress for Cultural Freedom had received CIA funds over a considerable period of time, the Congress disbanded and reorganized under new leadership, claiming to receive no further government funding.

I hasten to dissociate myself from more extreme pronouncements about cultural aspects of the Cold War.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 7 2013 21:07:22

BarkellWH

Just an observation on Stephen's comment and Richard's response regarding Cold War activity in Western Europe in the 1950s and 1960s. Stephen's comment: "When I hear outrageous lies, perpetuated over and over, such as the whopper that the US Dept. of State backed New York school AB EX painters in a ploy to spread US propaganda across Communist Europe in the 1950's I balk and I balk hard," is absolutely correct. Richard's response that the CIA funded the magazine "Encounter" and the Congress for Cultural Freedom, in order to counter massive Soviet funding to undermine Western European governments by supporting Western Communist parties (particularly in France and Italy), cultural activities, and "peace conferences" is equally correct.

The Congress for Cultural Freedom and "Encounter" were attempts to shore up the democratic elements in Western Europe. As Stephen correctly points out, they were not attempts to undermine Communist Europe. There were attempts to undermine the Communist governments in Eastern Europe, most notably "Operation Rollback," but none succeeded. And the CIA funding of the cultural presentations of American artists and musicians in Western Europe had nothing to do with it.

As an interesting sidelight, "Operation Rollback" attempted on many occasions to insert agents into Albania, both by sea and by unmarked C-47 aircraft crossing the Albanian frontier flying at 200 ft. altitude, rising to an altitude sufficient for the agents to parachute in with radios and other paraphernalia. In almost every case they were caught and executed, with or without trials. The reason? At the time, the British spy Kim Philby was assigned to the British Embassy in Washington, DC, and he was privy to all of the operational aspects of "Rollback." He reported them all to Moscow, which had its agents in place and ready to receive the Western agents in Albania.

The CIA funding of "Encounter" and the Congress of Cultural Freedom, and the various artists and musicians it supported, however, was all directed at Western Europe. Hats off to both Stephen and Richard for bringing up an interesting and little known (today, at least) element of the early Cold War.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 0:17:19

kudo

quote:

Ruphus ,

DO NOT piss on this thread with your negativity. I have had as much of your brand of crap as I can stand. You pissed long and hard on my comments about art history and I'll be damned if you piss on my writing about Japan.

I consider any and every negative comment from you a Personal Attack from here forward and I will report them to the moderator. I am sick and tired of you stalking me with your negative bullsh*t .

If you do not quit bothering me and the moderator does not stop your behavior I will leave this list as Anders did.

.... wait did you say that ander quit the foro?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 0:49:15

Richard Jernigan

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to BarkellWH

Another border crossing operation involved highly instrumented planes and specially trained crews. They would cross the border into a Soviet satellite, or even into the Soviet Union itself, with the objective of activating the Soviet air defense system.

The sequence of signals were recorded as the layers of the air defense system came up. The signals would be exhaustively analyzed and combined with other information to develop an understanding of Soviet machinery, tactics and strategy.

A friend of mine was a pilot on these missions. He was a former fighter jock, with the risk taking personality that goes with that.

The objective of the flights was to penetrate as far as needed to fully activate the system. There were two ways you could screw up. You could turn back too soon. Or as happened in one case to my friend, you could go too far and actually get shot down.

He bailed out. On the way down he was tearing up alternate pages of his code book, and eating the ones between. A page got away from him and lodged in the vent at the top of his parachute. The resultant hard landing cracked one of his vertebrae.

But he walked out of the Soviet Union, using his pocket Russian dictionary, and the gold coins he had been provided, to deal with people he encountered out in the country.

As a child and teenager I also knew some of the Flying Tigers, and their commander, Claire Chennault. They were the volunteer force that went to China during WW II to train the Chinese air force, and to engage in battle against the Japanese in support of America's ally, Chiang Kai-shek. Talk about some wild and crazy guys...

One day in the middle of winter in Anchorage, Alaska there was a knock at the door. Actually some pretty heavy blows. I answered the door. There stood an immense man, well over six feet tall, well over 300 pounds.

"Is you Dad here?" he asked.

I was reluctant to answer.

"Tell him Earthquake is here."

I did. 'Earthquake McGoon' was invited in, a glass of whiskey poured for him, and he was invited to stay for dinner.

I remember two Earthquake stories from that evening. After WW II Earthquake flew transports for Flying Tiger Airlines during the Korean conflict. A missionary family had landed their Piper Cub inside a walled school compound. They were unable to take off, because North Korean forces were deployed along the outside of the wall with small arms. Earthquake heard their distress call as he flew over in a C-47.

He told them to hold everything while he thought things over. Fixing upon a plan, Earthquake told the missionaries to fire up their Cub, and be ready to take off on his cue.

Earthquake liked to drink beer, even while flying. There were quite a few empty quart beer bottles on board his C-47. He flew low along the wall and bombarded the North Koreans with beer bottles. They made a satisfyingly realistic whistling sound like bombs. The North Koreans took cover, and Earthquake told the missionaries to take off. They made it out OK.

Earthquake eventually got shot down, but survived the crash. He was captured by communist forces. However they faced a problem. He refused to get up and walk to the prison. After a considerable delay, the enemy forces requisitioned a mule and several men to help. They loaded Earthquake onto the mule and took him to the prison.

He was imprisoned for almost a year. Then he surprised everyone by walking into the Tigers' regular bar in Hong Kong. He had been taken from Korea to a prison in China. As Earthquake told it, he kept back a little of the rice his jailers fed him and made rice wine in a pot under his bunk. He decided to celebrate on his birthday and drank quite a bit of it. Late at night, when everybody else was asleep, he "walked out through" the flimsy outside wall of his cell, and escaped into the woods. It was a walk of 90 miles or so to Hong Kong.

Later I heard from another of the Tigers that when Earthquake walked into the Hong Kong bar, nobody recognized him. "He had wasted away to about 200 pounds. No one had ever seen him that skinny before."

One evening I was checking into the Marriott at the L.A. airport. There was a long line. The petite Asian woman ahead of me happened to glance behind her. She turned around, and said, "Richard?"

"Yes."

"I haven't seen you since you were a boy in high school."

It was Anna Chennault, Claire's considerably younger Chinese second wife. Claire had passed away years before, but Anna was then the Republic of China's (Taiwan's) chief lobbyist in the U.S. We had a couple of drinks in the bar on the top floor of the hotel and reminisced.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 1:39:22

Richard Jernigan

RE: Dispatches from Akune (in reply to kudo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kudo
... wait did you say that ander quit the foro?

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=231843&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 1:56:07

estebanana

Well now that we have that settled. Let's talk about what really happened, Norton Dodge is what really happened.

I'm laughing a bit now, because I know from the perspective of the New York artists who were active at that time that most of them were communists or had gone to communist meetings or had sympathy for communist causes or did not care about US policy concerning the USSR. This was a point I was not allowed to articulate first time around because the static was turned up so high. I got more where that came from too.

Terremoto de los Tigres......hmm

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 7:27:57

BarkellWH

Thank God for Norton Dodge. He smuggled a great deal of dissident art out of the Soviet Union that never would have had an audience otherwise.

Now back to our regular programming and the gaijin's life in small-town Kyushu.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 10:03:03

estebanana

And now for some cats.

These idiots live across the street from me. This is about all they ever do.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 11:16:49

estebanana

Here's another view of the T-33. These were licensed by Lockheed to be built in Japan in the 50's. It's parked on a soccer field.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 11:20:47

estebanana

A look at the new studio and rare picture of Yuko. She usually hides and flips me off when I take her picture. I hate faux wood paneling, but what can I do? I don't own it. It's second story with nice views of the mountains.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 11:27:07

estebanana

Bill,
It does not surprise me you know about Norton Dodge. There's a great book about him by John McPhee. The whole cold war US art as propaganda story is really not that interesting by comparison. Norton Dodge covertly and quite single handedly introduced contemporary Russian art to the outside world right under the noses of the USSR government. I say single handedly because he did the leg work meeting the artists in the Soviet Union and buying the art, but he did have a network of people helping him ship it back to the US. It's wonderful story because Dodge was sent to Russia to study Soviet industrial practices during the height of the cold war and in addition instead to doing his day job he stayed out all night buying art from artists the USSR was trying to suppress. Further irony is that his specialty was documenting studying women in the workplace in the USSR and he found the employment and promotion and education practices for women in the USSR were more progressive than those in the US. Women in the USSR would often hold higher positions in medicine, for example, than women in the US.

The idea that US artists were involved or complicit with and propaganda efforts is completely off base, if not sheer lunacy. If workers in side the State Dept. used American art or music it was not because those artists created it for for them to use. I take exception and find a major a problem when the work itself is assigned a political value outside it's rightful and real place as a part of art history and judged as art by how it was used politically. It's completely idiotic to confuse the two historical trajectories.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 11:54:02

BarkellWH

Your studio looks spacious and comfortable, Stephen. Great pic of Yuko, too!

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 13:07:14

estebanana

It's much improved over the one Richard visited, although that old studio had some dirty street charm. However I'm happy with the new digs.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jun. 8 2013 13:16:46
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote