Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Went to the Guitar Salon   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Richard Jernigan

RE: Went to the Guitar Salon (in reply to Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

disclaimer: doesn't always work.

Hey, you save money whatever happens. Either you get a big discount, or you get thrown out of the shop and don't spend any money at all...

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 15:30:38

Morante

RE: Went to the Guitar Salon (in reply to el carbonero

mmm. A Reyes Hijo for 8,500?? I could buy a better guitar, as good as any Conde, from a young builder in Algodonales for 2000.

An opinion shared by the likes of Jesus Guerrero, Diego Amaya and Paco Cepero.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 15:53:56

orsonw

RE: Went to the Guitar Salon (in reply to Morante

quote:

I could buy a better guitar, as good as any Conde, from a young builder in Algodonales for 2000.

An opinion shared by the likes of Jesus Guerrero, Diego Amaya and Paco Cepero.

Jerónimo Pérez?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 16:31:04

Arash

RE: Went to the Guitar Salon (in reply to Richard Jernigan

wanted to ask the same thing, yeah he probably means Jeronimo Perez

http://www.guitarrasjeronimoperez.com/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 16:35:05

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

disclaimer: doesn't always work.

Hey, you save money whatever happens. Either you get a big discount, or you get thrown out of the shop and don't spend any money at all...

RNJ

another way looking at it, yep

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 16:38:43

Ruphus

With the impression that I have from the foros luthiers ( some of, have not heard snippets from of all of them, though being almost certain that most if not all build remarkable to really fine instruments ) I always compare to what you commonly get in common stores on comparable price level and what a day & night difference it makes.
Two different worlds.

Having said that, recordings can convey somewhat inaccurately, like with my estudio M. Rodrigues whichs close-up track made by the restaurating guitar builder did not reveal the slight veil typical of student guitars.
( The guitar is still presenting the Rodriguez signature in sound characateristics; and really has something great to it, only not as open as concert level.)

From there, though recordings may more often tend to presenting under real life conditions, they can also deceive the other way round, specially when close miked where things appear greater than life and will reduce perception of dampening properties.

Then again, when you hear lots and lots of bewitching particulars in sound qualities, chances are that they will be there pristine in real life too. - To my experience at least.

Similar to when you can hear how fingertips can dig through unhindered with tight yet pliable conditions, chances should be near zero of a stiff top.
( Not that stiff tops couldn´t be attractive too. To some they obviously are, due to their extremely strong flicking technique. But as I´m considering my personal preference, that would be soft yet fast tops.)

Anyway, though naturally sceptical with ordering a guitar to be build / feeling more on the safe side with already build specimens that one can try out beforehand, after listening intensively to several recordings like of Andy it should be totally surprising if his building magic wasn´t producing quite exactly what I personally love in guitars.

Dunno how he does it with building guitars that sound as flamenco as it gets, but to my ears he is a prodigy.
Please keep in mind that I do hold other builder´s craft here very high too. And supossedly my faible for Andy´s work is more due to my personal taste. ( Should it not, then Culpeppers might be the Ferrers of tomorrow.)

So, the best shopping opportunities to my understanding are ordering from builders on this board, and chasing antiques through private advertisings.

Stores like GSI are meant for the rich; and if wealthy I would had probably already visited them to have all the great makes side by side, learn typical differences and possibly chose the most suiting of the precious stock.

They have quite spoiled the market and I think it sort of gentlemen behaviour if they in return allow humble enthusiast to try out their stock sometimes for to learn about makes and which might suit them best, so that they may know what to look for in general.

- When either frisking the papers for second hand, or reserving on a contemporary maker´s waiting list.
--

I wished more flamenco and classical players would hear of the builders on this foro and realize what bang for the buck the option means, while contributing to filling these fine artisans´order books.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 16:45:16

Arash

RE: Went to the Guitar Salon (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

allow humble enthusiast to try out their stock sometimes for to learn about makes and which might suit them best, so that they may know what to look for in general.

As a funny sidenote, when i was in the music fair, there was this young enthusiastic guy who came to the Sanchis stand, grabbed one of the classical
guitars (without a golpeador of course!) and started banging the hell out of it with some wrong bulerias, then german ran over to him and said "no no no, por favor, please, this is not a guitarra flamenca", i think the poor guitar has some dongs now even if the whole show took just few seconds :D

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 16:59:14

Ruphus

My first decent classical guitar still bears the marks from such an idiot.

As a shop owner I would certainly eye the candidates closely first and brief them on top.

I think reserving the right for compensation / noting ID etc. to be just appropriate. There are too many vandals out there, who seem to have been raised in a rubber cell.

( Don´t aks me what a former friend did to a jumbo Martin dreadnought I had foolishly given to him after his raving for years.)

Some don´t even know that you shouldn´t wear chains ´n zippers when handling itmes of sale / exhibition.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 19:55:39

Arash

Well i guess sanchis doesn't care much, cause they have so many of them

My worst experience is from some years ago where i was at a party, had took my guitar with me (gladly it was just a F03 at that time) and left it in the room to smoke a cigarette outisde and some drunk idiot (i knew him but he was not a close friend or something) had took the guitar, turned it around and was playing drums with it on the backside. He was hitting it really hard. My reaction was harsh and "ruined" the party but i couldn't do otherwise and it was spontanous. The worst thing was nobody could understand why i reacted like that, they all thought: Jesus, its just a guitar, why is he yelling, what a killjoy....
Lesson learned.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 20:28:02

FredGuitarraOle

quote:

The worst thing was nobody could understand why i reacted like that, they all thought: Jesus, its just a guitar, why is he yelling, what a killjoy....

indeed...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 20 2013 20:36:03
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote