Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   17 18 [19] 20 21    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR (in reply to Tom Blackshear

He was the unfinished genius.
And I can quite relate to that.
Not that I could compare in regard of skills, but in repsect of being torn apart between diverse subjects and how it feels to hardly finish anything that way.
One wishes the day had about 32 hours or so, and that you could divide yourself into several individuals for each to dedicate in one field.
-

Tom,

Your tuning skills should be spread to the guild on a broad basis.
I guess at best where there exist guild schools.
Just made a quick search and found that there exists a luthier guild in the German city of Dresden.
If I asked them whether they were interested in organizing a seminar for you to teach German guitar builders, would you be in principle interested?
( Could possibly be decent money and a nice trip. Dresden is a handsome historical place.)

Ruphus

PS:
Wait. Seems they have only one guitar builder in that guild. :O|
Jeez, I always thought Germany would have its guitar and lute building education organized ...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 9:20:54

Tom Blackshear

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR (in reply to Ruphus

Ruphus,

Thanks for the thought but experienced guitar builders come to my home for a 2 day class at the cost of $2,500 US, as it is nearly impossible for me to travel on an airplane; with the seats so close together, it hurts my legs.

I have located a few excellent finishers for my guitars so I won't have to do any more finishing work. This is what really slows me down.

Also, I believe that M. Dammann and G. Wagner tweak their guitar braces to get a recognized tone for their guitars.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 11:40:40

Tom Blackshear

Another word for my building process is that I now have Manuel Adalid's help in making my necks and bridges, which he does a better job than this builder. So necks, bridges, and finishing work should allow me to lower my prices a bit.

I need to concentrate on the actual put together and fine tuning for the rest of my building career. All of the hard work I'll leave to those with more energy and machine finesse. Also, I could have LMI thickness my wood and bend the sides for me; to my specifications, then I finish off the thickness to fine tune it.

However, I work the tops by myself.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 15:43:52

Ruphus

I understand.
-

Funny that you mention todays outrageous seating proportions.
Coincidentally I was reading about it just yesterday. How a certain device is being sold that prevents your front seats backrest from being tilted.
How earlier this year a flight was interrupted over the argument of two passengers about the cramp through named seat conditions.

And in the same time you hear about the bankruptcy of airlines like the Malaysian one that was specially known for its comfort and service.

These times of rigorous profiteering have reached circumstances and standards way off from dignity. More of that and we might all end up in battery farms.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 15:46:53

Tom Blackshear

The only trip I might contemplate taking would be to visit Manuel Adalid in Valencia, but he would have to pay for a first class plane ride

And then put me up in a first class hotel with-in walking distance of his factory, plus all the great fish dishes at high class restaurants; now I'm getting stupid...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 16:03:05

Ruphus

Sneak me in for those dishes! :O)

Best restaurant fish I recall was in Moscows originally best hotel. Can´t even put into words how it tasted, but it was certainly melting in your mouth with a neural fireworks on your tongue and palate.
That was in 1992, so I guess they ought to be having some tradition with haute cuisine.
Sorry for OT >drool<.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 16:11:29

Tom Blackshear

Cut that out! Now I have to go get some fish for lunch.....

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 27 2014 16:29:03

Ruphus

Second time this week, dispute over cramped seating.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/28/reclined-seat-dispute-diverts-flight-boston/14765269/

That squeezing is just not right. With all the hysteria against damages from smoking, where are the campaigns against thrombosis and strokes from outrageous gagging in airplanes?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2014 13:54:42

Tom Blackshear

quote:

where are the campaigns against thrombosis and strokes from outrageous gagging in airplanes?

Something might not be done until an outrageous law suit happens against the airline which damages a persons legs. In the mean time, I don't fly.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Aug. 30 2014 15:36:12

Ruphus

Again, another flight interrupted over passenger quarrel about declined seats.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/delta-airlines-flight-queens-diverted-reclining-seat-argument-article-1.1924632

Looks as if it was to become serial occurance.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 3 2014 10:45:34

Tom Blackshear

Although not sealed in concrete, I might be going to Puerto Rico next year to give some guitar making and fine tuning classes. It seems that some interest is spreading around San Juan to host a guitar symposium.

So, I'm getting into my work out routine to strengthen myself to make the trip, if things present a solid invitation. But this is something, just in the talking stage, at the moment.

I think these issues that pop up are good, as they keep my attention toward keeping fit. And this ultimately translates into me building more guitars.

I'm getting to the age to realize that my pursuit in this art is going to have to be a team effort; something that some guitar builders in Spain have utilized for generations.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 8 2014 12:15:58

Tom Blackshear

Well, just about have the guitar finished and will compound it out in the next few days, and string it up to see how she sounds.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 19 2014 18:01:04

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Tom,

Your tuning skills should be spread to the guild on a broad basis.
I guess at best where there exist guild schools.

Here is a picture of a seventeen year old guitarist to show how long I've been struggling with this art

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 22 2014 13:06:28

Tom Blackshear

Here is the final video for the finished guitar:

This guitar has taken me too long to finish but I enjoyed the process and time showing it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 13:08:58

SephardRick

Tom,

It's a gorgeous instrument! Love the growl and glassy trebles. Another instrument for me to dream about.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 29 2014 17:04:57

Tom Blackshear

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR (in reply to SephardRick

Rick,

These were new EJ46 D'Addario regular hard tension strings, and they had not stretched out enough, so I tuned it back up to concert pitch and it operates solid now. I'm packing it for shipment today so I won't be able to do any more videos, unless the player chooses to demonstrate it on this list.

It's been fun!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Sep. 30 2014 14:57:03

SephardRick

Tom,

Every so often I return to your webpage. It is interesting to me, that your method of
fine tuning even includes EJ46 strings. Another brand of strings affect the tone and articulation. Which brings to mind another question.

At what stage of string decline should the strings be replaced on your guitars? For example: when the trebles stay in tune - or does it matter in regard to the fine tuning?

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2014 17:23:48

Tom Blackshear

quote:

At what stage of string decline should the strings be replaced on your guitars? For example: when the trebles stay in tune - or does it matter in regard to the fine tuning?

Good question..........Actually, the older the strings the better it sounds, as I usually wind up fine tuning the guitar with older strings. But the general out-line of fine tuning is to get the articulation and top tension correct, and this effects the voicing to some extent.

There are some inter-dimensional sounds that happen in the process when searching for the ultimate action and feel of the instrument. The glassiness of the trebles calms down with older stretched out strings, or if I keep the fan braces a little higher toward the end of fine tuning, then this causes less glassiness.

Also, the older the guitar becomes, the more pure and penetrating the treble sound.

However, this guitar style can take a little more lively treble because of its sweeter edge.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 1 2014 18:36:10

David Alford

I've been following this thread with interest as Tom made this guitar for me and it has just arrived! Due to travel, I'll have to be brief in my comments and these are just my personal impressions of course.

If I were able, I'd like to retitle this thread "Tom Blacksear's Vindication"...I feel pretty strongly that Tom's fine tuning had indeed been vindicated despite the critics who say it's smoke and mirrors or much to do about nothing. To the contrary, the voice of this guitar suggests entirely the opposite conclusion. Fine tuning works and while not everyone may appreciate the refinement it achieves, more and more luthiers are undoubtedly paying closer attention to what Tom has been advocating for years.

The analogy (albeit a much simpler example) I would make is leather stropping a knife edge. Is leather stropping necessary to achieve a sharp edge? No, it's not. But leather stropping achieves a refinement, a sort of perfection of a knife's edge despite the fact that very little change is being produced to the edge. Hardly any metal is removed in leather stropping, so it's remarkable the difference achieved. But in art and craft, as well in life, it's the little things that often make an appreciable difference...

Back to THIS guitar, I'm lucky to be the owner and I know it. The guitar means a lot to me, in large part because Tom and I have a bit of history that goes way back. It really is a marvelous instrument. Let me compare it to two other guitars I have, a Gerundino and a recent Navarro (also based on the Reyes model).

On a scale of 1 to 10....

1. Build/Craftsmanship: TB - 9, G -7, N-8
2. Bass: TB-9, G-8, N-7
3. Treble: TB-9, G-7, N-7
4. Volume: TB-9, G-8, N-8
5. Playability: TB-9, G-8, N-8

This guitars' voice will improve over time, but the fundamental difference between it and the other two is that this instrument has a crisper more immediate response. Definitely, more raspy/flamenco although the Gerundino is quite good as well.

I do like the Gerundino sound. The one I have is just not quite as good as Tom's guitar. However, that raises the question of whether the Gerundino could be fined tuned and it's voicing improved a notch or two. I suspect the answer to that would be "yes". One of the best guitars I ever played was Paco Gastor's Gerundino. I know Tom has the precise measurements of this very same instrument and I hope someday he will offer his version (and with his fine tuning). I expect it would be an interesting project. Perhaps one he might undertake with Manuel Adalid?

At any rate, I'm very happy with this Reyes/Blackshear model and the years ahead should be fun. This guitar beckons to be played..a wonderful feeling.

Thanks, Tom. Well done, my friend.

David Alford
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 4:29:50

David Alford

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR (in reply to David Alford

oops, should read "Tom BLACKSHEAR'S Vindication". And sorry, I can't post a video with a bit of playing, but have an immediate and long trip ahead. Best wishes to you Tom, and to all members.

David Alford
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 5:04:10

David Alford

Well, one other comment after playing the guitar now for a few hours and comparing it -there's more of a quality gap between the Blackshear and the other two. I'm more inclined to give this guitar a 10 out 10 on just about everything. Amazing! This guitar just wants to be played, much more playable and the cool thing is it will only get better...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 6:34:53

Ricardo

wow! by the description, it sounds almost as good as a conde!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 15:55:29

David Alford

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR (in reply to Ricardo

uh, sorry for what might seem like being over the top in my evaluation. I know what you mean about the Conde (hype)...everyone has a theory which guitar is best. For a long time I thought it was Gerundino...I will say this about Tom, I doubt a bad guitar has every left his shop.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 4 2014 22:46:07

Tom Blackshear

RE: FINE TUNING A GUITAR (in reply to Ricardo

Well, folks, this has been fun, and it might be some time before I do this again. If I continue to build, then there might be a different style in the making.

I appreciate the Spanish master builders' and their guitars that have found their way to my shop, for this individual to be able to explore. All in all, I hope my work has been the most sincere form of flattery to their art.

Honestly I had no idea that this would go beyond certain restrictions set and lost by many traditionalists but I'm happy to say that this industry is making up for lost time.

There are so many innovations, many that have been lost in Antiquity, and a few newer designs that have made a mark in this industry.

For me to try and bring back certain older methods of fine tuning, doesn't apply as a new technology from me, just an interesting venture into something that has already been similarly done before. So, I take no credit in this regard.

But what I will take credit for, is having enough passion for this endeavor, to try and promote it for the sake of the art. Every little bit of information is important to have, even though we may not fully use it for a time.

So, this older but new technology has come to its introduction and some builders are trying it out. Some of their response has been positive and some of the others are still working with it to find their propio sello.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 14:26:03

Ruphus

Stay with us and in good health, Tom. :O)
I hope to hear of you making many more guitars.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 5 2014 15:06:50

Tom Blackshear

Thank you, I will continue to build, God willing.

It really depends on the additional help I'll receive from Manuel for the pre-built necks and bridges, and the person who will do the finishing for me. I'm toying with the idea of letting the subcontracted finish work be the sides, back, and neck with a thin coat of lacquer and then I could finish the top with French polish.

This way I could more closely control the voicing of the top the way I've been building.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2014 13:20:11

SephardRick

quote:

Stay with us and in good health, Tom. :O)
I hope to hear of you making many more guitars.

I second that!

Tom's Fine Tuning post have been short of an epiphany on guitar construction and voicing. What lengths and dedication a luthier goes through before releasing his work of art to the buyer! This thread has spoiled me. Now, I only get excited for fine tuned luthier instrument.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2014 15:22:45

Tom Blackshear

Thanks Rick,

There are many ways to fine tune a guitar. Mine is but one way to manage the process, but I find solace with what Michael Cone, a very accomplished guitar maker has to say about it.

"We need the ability to identify and modify specific areas of interest in order to improve overall response. Every instrument can benefit from a process of fine-tuning after completion to identify and optimize any irregularities. This process is best undertaken after the instrument is broken in."

Michael, many years ago, tried out my fine-tuning process, and I remember that he said something on the old Eskimo guitar list, that he uses electronic helps with his building but that my process took him there faster or perhaps in a more refined manner. But I'm not sure how he feels about it now.

http://www.coneguitar.com/acoustics/acoustics03.html

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 6 2014 15:59:38

Tom Blackshear

Ola Todos,

I've been sitting back and thinking about the next project I will build. This first project was a training tool for me to learn how to present a solution to building a flamenco guitar, step by step, for tonal finish out. This next project would be the same but with, perhaps, a better presentation.

So, unless something prevents it, I'll be starting another project in a few weeks, perhaps under a different name, so it will keep this present thread separate.

My immediate thoughts are centered around the 1969 Gerundino of Paco Del Gastor, 1955 Conde of Nino Ricardo, or my own creation, with experience taken from an amalgam of many different styles I have worked with over the years.

For those who are interested, please give your preference and I'll try and present something of majority interest.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2014 14:22:49

SephardRick

quote:

1955 Conde of Nino Ricardo

Tom,

Nino Ricardo's 1955 Conde has my vote as being a "Man, Moment, Machine" choice.

Rick
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 15 2014 14:58:35
Page:   <<   <   17 18 [19] 20 21    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   17 18 [19] 20 21    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software powered by ASP Playground Advanced Edition 2.0.5