Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: "Which guitar do I play today???"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   6 7 [8] 9 10    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Leñador

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to Arash

Alzapuas, rasgueados(many types), 5 note tremolos, compas, y tocando con huevos , not to mention many electric guitar techniques.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:12:33

aeolus

Hold your ears

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:15:14

mark74

was he in the beatles?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:22:38

mezzo

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

I'll bet there isn't one player here that can show even a glimmer of the facility shown by Drabynka except maybe Grisha and I'd bet money against him in a mano a mano match up playing that study..

You're upside down mister!

1st, this is a flamenco forum. So let show us how the guy you venerate plays por tientos (e.g) and then eventually we could discuss!

2nd, I'm not gonna watch this vid coz I don't care a cent about classical music.

3rd if you want to talk about classical superherowannabee go to offtopic section and post your spam there!

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:23:37

aeolus

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Apr. 24 2013 20:24:15
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:23:40

aeolus

quote:

1st this is a flamenco forum. So let me show how the guy you venerate plays por tientos (e.g) and then eventually we could discuss!

2nd, I'm not gonna watch this vid coz I don't care a cent about classical music.

3rd if you want to talk about classical superherowannabee go to offtopic section and post there!

I'm talking facility here and excuse me if I stepped on your corns.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:26:57

[Deleted] (in reply to aeolus

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:28:13

mezzo

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to aeolus

yeah no probs! you know the links

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:28:16

Arash

some support for aeolus

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:34:23

FredGuitarraOle

Aeolus, it seems to me you are a bit out of frame in this forum. Comments like "I don't play flamenco (too noisy)", constantly repeating that Segovia was better than everyone else, saying that Flamenco solo guitar is "not much more than doodling", that talk about nuances, etc, puts most of the members twisting their noses. You are basically putting Flamenco down all the time... on a Flamenco forum... it doesn't fit well in here...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't post, it's precisely the opposite. What I'm trying to say is that if you keep doing that, people will start crucifying you because they don't come to a Flamenco forum to read that Classical is a million times better than Flamenco and stuff like that. No one wants that. We are here to learn and share, not get mad at each other.

Anyway... I'm not trying to give you a lecture or anything, I'm just trying to keep things in "peace".

And by the way, you should give Flamenco a chance. You are always putting it down but there most be something you like about it, otherwise you wouldn't be here posting. Flamenco is beautiful... You should try putting Segovia aside for a few minutes everyday and listen to some Flamenco. Seriously, give it a try... Many times, the things we don't like at first are the ones we end up liking the most.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:34:59

mark74

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to Guest

Probably more than that.

I couldn't, but Id bet more than 10 or 15 regular posters could do it if they wanted to exchange their pants for a skirt
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:36:02

aeolus

OK let's have the Sor Study #6 challenge (#12 per Segovia) and forget the doolydo falsetas. They all sound alike anyway.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:36:58

Leñador

Why would we want to do that? Most of us genuinely don't care for classical.
I'm sure any one of us would have MUCH better luck playing a classical piece then a classical player playing flamenco, I've seen Julian Breams rasgueado

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:41:07

aeolus

quote:

And by the way, you should give Flamenco a chance. You are always putting it down but there most be something you like about it, otherwise you wouldn't be here posting. Flamenco is beautiful... You should try putting Segovia aside for a few minutes everyday and listen to some Flamenco. Seriously, give it a try... Many times, the things we don't like at first are the ones we end up liking the most.

I love the guitar but Flamenco solos make mine eyes glaze over. And I'm trying to understand the attraction. the clips I posted under my thread Gypsies bring tears to my eyes. Other than that I am just trying to have a little fun. If no one answers I'll quit and leave.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:42:45

mark74

Well, flamenco solos are pretty broad as there are a variety of styles and a variety of palos

I personally like more classic Jerez and Moron style stuff for solos and the contemporary guys who stuck with a more traditional sound like Moraito and Pepe Habichuela, but a lot of guys like more modern style harmonies and they have their own good reasons

Bottom line is its easy to generalize if one doesn't have much experience with the genre...I do find it difficult to understand how anyone who loves the guitar couldn't be impressed with flamenco though as its the ultimate folkloric guitar tradition
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:50:40

pink

quote:

ORIGINAL: aeolus

I'll bet there isn't one player here that can show even a glimmer of the facility shown by Drabynka

Drab by name ......
Now let's look ahead, the future, what do you want to be when you grow up aeolus ?
You stated that you will soon be 81 years of age....a lifetime of knowledge, experience interest and yet here you are acting like the child that had the world but wanted someone else's ice cream. I really am sure you have plenty to share but this thread has been fed full of comments that simply belong elsewhere.....wrapped round a turd heading for the north sea perhaps would be the most appropriate place , so leave it alone on this occasion and call it a day with this one.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:51:17

Arash

quote:

And I'm trying to understand the attraction.

you have a very weird way of "trying to understand"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:56:15

aeolus

quote:

some support for aeolus

Good stuff. I 'll be looking in to her discography.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 20:58:26

Arash

quote:

quote:

some support for aeolus

Good stuff. I 'll be looking in to her discography.

You are welcome.
Classical guitar is not boring.
As you saw in the vid, you can make noises with it, just like we can

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:00:09

aeolus

quote:

Bottom line is its easy to generalize if one doesn't have much experience with the genre...I do find it difficult to understand how anyone who loves the guitar couldn't be impressed with flamenco though as its the ultimate folkloric guitar tradition

Well I guess it's the oldest but in it's incubation there were conditions that don't exist today. It's like legendary folk singer Bob Dylan who changed his last name from Zimmerman to Dylan. It's bogus as a reflection of what it was.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:06:07

aeolus

quote:

Probably more than that.

I couldn't, but Id bet more than 10 or 15 regular posters could do it if they wanted to exchange their pants for a skirt
You gotda be kidding. Have you ever tried it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:15:36

Leñador

quote:

It's like legendary folk singer Bob Dylan

Is he a guitar god to you too LOL, you crack me up..............

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:19:06

aeolus

quote:

Is he a guitar god to you too LOL, you crack me up............

Go back and read the whole sentence.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:21:41

Aretium

Aelous the problem with classical guitar is that it is a pretentious institution reflected in your views. What do you think of Paco's version of Concierto de Aranjuez ?
1. Classical guitarists rarely compose anything worth listening to (recent years).
2. They spend far too long working on sound production where they could be developing their rhythm (after all classical guitar is Music right? or is it?)

Remember the guitar is an instrument and no matter how much we try, it is still considered a tool for accompaniment.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:24:44

jeff_hatcher

I don't know why there should be any kind of "which is better-classical vs. flamenco" discussion. Neither are the slightest bit boring. There are very talented players in both genres. If you like one more than the other, that's just fine... musical appreciation is subjective and personal. If Segovia thrills you more than Paco Pena... no problem. Both artists have their own gifts to offer, and these gifts may differ in direction, but certainly not degree.

A person can sing the praises of the music that moves their heart the most without disparaging another's choice. It's nothing more than crass egocentrism to appoint yourself the arbiter of good musical taste.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:34:54

mark74

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to jeff_hatcher

yeah, but comparing that piece to flamenco is like comparing jane austen to dostoevsky
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:45:17

Aretium

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to jeff_hatcher

To say any form of music is boring is ridiculous and to say any form is better than an other is equally insane. I played classical guitar for a year before flamenco (or rather Tried to play) and to say one is better than an other is stupid, I enjoy flamenco more because it appeals to me more personally than classical.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 21:46:01

jeff_hatcher

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to mark74

quote:

Mark 74: yeah, but comparing that piece to flamenco is like comparing jane austen to dostoevsky

I wasn't responding to a particular post (I'm actually not certain what proferred example you are referring to). I'm just amazed that the thread has meandered so far from its original intent for so long.

quote:

To say any form of music is boring is ridiculous and to say any form is better than an other is equally insane. I played classical guitar for a year before flamenco (or rather Tried to play) and to say one is better than an other is stupid, I enjoy flamenco more because it appeals to me more personally than classical.

I switch back and forth all the time. Depends on the mood I'm in. I can't really say I like either one more or less than the other. As far as playing goes, I find classical more accessible. I am sure I would make much more progress in Flamenco if I had access to an instructor. Flamenco's right hand techniques are pretty challenging to get right without guidance.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 22:07:39

aeolus

quote:

Aelous the problem with classical guitar is that it is a pretentious institution reflected in your views. What do you think of Paco's version of Concierto de Aranjuez ?
1. Classical guitarists rarely compose anything worth listening to (recent years).
2. They spend far too long working on sound production where they could be developing their rhythm (after all classical guitar is Music right? or is it?)

Remember the guitar is an instrument and no matter how much we try, it is still considered a tool for accompaniment.

1) what do flamenco players compose that is so great?
2) sound is what separates the guitar form other instruments because it is made by direct contact of the fingers with the strings. If you don't understand that then you will never understand the guitar.

Yes I believe that as an accompaniment to cante the flamenco guitar is peerless. As a solo instrument classical or flamenco it's on thin ice.

But with the classical on records,an artist such as Segovia could communicate his peerless sound world in an intimate manner and that's what made him such a success because it was was sound that had never been heard before for millions of people. This is what Segovia's detractors don't understand. They weren't there.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 22:14:21

Morante

Stop listening to guitar and listen to some cante. That is flamenco.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 24 2013 22:14:58
Page:   <<   <   6 7 [8] 9 10    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   6 7 [8] 9 10    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post