Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: "Which guitar do I play today???"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

guitarbuddha

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to aeolus

quote:

ORIGINAL: aeolus

There may indeed be players here that could display Eugen Drabynka's control on
Sor's Study 6 op.6. But I doubt it.

Peace.

I was loathe to comment on that Sor performance but it is not a good example of classical guitar playing. The guy is young,confident talented and exuberant but that performance was really lacking in nuance.

With regards to Shiraz nothing aids the battle with windmills more.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 18:07:04

jshelton5040

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador

I'm just saying I can execute techniques that a classical player can't no matter how good they are.

Lenador,

Do you realize that many people play flamenco and classical. I played flamenco for 45 years and classical for over 35 of that. Switching back and forth always seemed rather effortless to me. Among the many critiques of my playing I never heard anyone say that I played like a pantywaist.

John Shelton - www.sheltonfarrettaguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 18:17:15

Leñador

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to guitarbuddha

quote:

Do you realize that many people play flamenco and classical. I played flamenco for 45 years and classical for over 35 of that. Switching back and forth always seemed rather effortless to me. Among the many critiques of my playing I never heard anyone say that I played like a pantywaist.

You're one of the good ones jk

I know most non-Spanish flamenco players come from a classical background, my teacher included. I'm just railing against the classical purists who think flamenco ha nothing to add to the nylon.

quote:

By the way, I'm glad you didn't accept Aeolus dare, it was a trap. You have a beard and therefore are not allowed to play Classical music, they don't accept that. Crossing legs while playing is not allowed too. Sorry for destroying your childhood dream of becoming a professional Classical guitarrist... It's better for you to know the truth... Things wouldn't work out...

That truth is too painful, I'm gunna go soak my beard with tears

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 20:42:47

Sr. Martins

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

I'm just railing against the classical purists who think flamenco ha nothing to add to the nylon.

Flamenco sucks.

BTW, your inbox is full.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 20:49:25

Leñador

I didn't even know that was possible?!?

Makes sense though, dealt with yo.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 20:54:09

britguy

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to jshelton5040

quote:

Do you realize that many people play flamenco and classical. I played flamenco for 45 years and classical for over 35 of that. Switching back and forth always seemed rather effortless to me.

I'm the same, John.

I played flamenco for years before trying to play classical (self-taught). But I found the classical discipline helped my overall playing to some extent.

I don't see why there should be such a dichotomy between the two. I think they can be mutually complementary, for many players. And there is some really beautifull 'classical' guitar music out there.

I know a few popular older classical pieces: (Sor, Tarrega, Carcassi) that I really enjoy playing these days. But I do sincerely believe that flamenco is harder to play well, and the techniques are more difficult to master.

But here and now; in my later years; I find I enjoy the lyrical qualities of the toques libres more than the sparkle and vigour of the bailes. And there are times when these toques seems to overlap with the 'classical' guitar's sound and feel. . .

I dont see this as such a bad thing. . .

I was (still am) always a great admirer of Vicente Gomez, as a flamenco guitarist who could also play classical. Or should I say; a classical guitarist who could also play flamenco??? Depends on who's asking the question.

Maybe you have to be native-born Spanish to answer that?

Either way, I thought he was a great player.

And we should all be happy that we can play this stuff anyway. No matter how simple. It is really an uplifting experience. . .

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 23:16:09

jeff_hatcher

RE: "Which guitar do I play tod... (in reply to britguy

quote:

I don't see why there should be such a dichotomy between the two. I think they can be mutually complementary, for many players. And there is some really beautifull 'classical' guitar music out there.

Well said. Both have their challenges and their beauty. Toss in Jazz, folk, blues... no reason we can't uncritically enjoy most things.

Unless being critical is what you enjoy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 27 2013 23:35:01

JJ

conclusion of this topic:
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2013 7:33:24
Page:   <<   <   6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages