Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Death of Patricia McCormick (La Matadora)   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

Death of Patricia McCormick (La Mata... 

A lengthy obituary in the Washington Post this morning announced the death of Patricia McCormick at the age of 83. The name "Patricia McCormick" probably means nothing to most on the Foro, but back when I was a teenager in Arizona in the late 1950s and early 1960s, she was one of the few female Matadors (Matadoras) participating in corridas, primarily in Mexico and Venezuela. I remember her being in the news from time to time because it was so unusual for a woman to be a professional matador.

Now, I am not an expert on bullfighting by any means, but I always had an interest in it, even as a teenager. It probably had something to do with my love of the works of Ernest Hemingway. In fact, my introduction to bullfighting came first from reading Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon," and later "The Dangerous Summer," Hemingway's account of the competition (mano a mano) between Antonio Ordonez and Luis Miguel Dominguin during the 1959 bullfighting season. So there was something vaguely challenging (erotic?) about the idea of drinking tinto from a bota with Patricia McCormick. I had the same fantasy of drinking with Ava Gardner. Better judgment prevented me from attempting to turn either fantasy into reality.

In any case, the obituary notes that Patricia McCormick was allowed to fight during the season, but she was never allowed to go through the initiation that male matadors had to go through in order to be awarded the right to wear the "traje de luces" (suit of lights). As a result, she was never considered a full-fledged matador. Nevertheless, she carried on, being gored on several occasions. I probably have not given a thought to Patricia McCormick for 50 years, but her death reminds me of the "What the Hell!" kind of woman she must have been.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 15:37:42

Morante

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to BarkellWH

¡OLE!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 16:00:53

FredGuitarraOle

Sad news... I had never heard of her, thanks for posting this. Brave woman... olé!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 17:04:38

Leñador

Big Ole to that! What a lady........amazing.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 17:19:51

Richard Jernigan

My intro to toreo was in the flesh. My father and uncles used to go across the border to Reynosa on Sunday afternoons to see the corridas, and when I was old enough, I was taken along. So I grew up with a different understanding of it than most Americans.

As a teenager I read Hemingway, and enjoyed Death in the Afternoon. I particularly liked the fictional interchanges between the lecturer and the old lady asking questions. When the old lady asked about the metaphysics of the corrida, the lecturer replied, "Whenever I hear the word 'metaphysics' I always think of horse sh1t."

I saw Patricia McCormick twice in Mexico City. In those days she wasn't allowed in the old Plaza Mexico off Insurgentes. Instead she performed in the smaller ring where the novilleros had their actuaciones. Those times she was good, definitely of a professional standard, though perhaps not of the very top rank. But you can't judge a torero [torera?] on just a couple of performances. So much depends on the bull, on the picadores, on the circumstances.

A courageous woman.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 18:45:32

Escribano

quote:

I had the same fantasy of drinking with Ava Gardner

I knew Ava Gardner in the early 80s. She was 60 something, but still...

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 21:45:53

BarkellWH

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

I knew Ava Gardner in the early 80s. She was 60 something, but still...

I know what you mean, Simon. I was always fascinated by Ava Gardner. She was beautiful with stunning eyes, and she lived a full life, with lots of good drink and plenty of lovers, including the Spanish bullfighter Luis Miguel Dominguin. I still fall in love with her every time I see her in "The Barefoot Contessa" (with Humphrey Bogart) and "The Night of the Iguana" (with Richard Burton).

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 22:33:21

Richard Jernigan

Gardner had the same quality that Simone de Beauvoir wrote about in Brigitte Bardot.

When I was 17 and she was 18 I fell in love with Bardot during the opening scene of "And God Created Woman". The camera tours leisurely and lovingly over her nude body as she lies on her back bathing in the hot sun of Provence. Then she opens her eyes and looks into the camera. I was captured.

I went to a Directors' Guild screening of "And God Created Woman" in the late 1980s in Hollywood. Before showing the restored print the MC read an excerpt from an essay by Beauvoir.

Loosely quoted, it said that Bardot never let herself be made into an object on the screen. You always had to engage her as a person. I think the same was true of Ava Gardner.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 17:15:23

Paul Magnussen

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Am I the only one here that cheers for the bull when the matador gets it?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 17:28:17

estebanana

I've been meaning to start a thread about the American bullfighter John what's his name...? I saw a program on him a few weeks ago.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 17:40:32

Richard Jernigan

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to Paul Magnussen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul Magnussen

Probably not. I learned as a young teenager long ago not to discuss the fiesta brava with non-Spanish Europeans or North Americans. Not surprisingly, i believe there is a pocket of aficion in Japan. The subject has never come up for me elsewhere in Asia. There is even a sizable movement in Spain to eliminate it. But there is a strong link between flamenco and bullfighting. I'll let Miguel Poveda and Diego Carrasco speak for themselves.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 17:50:24

BarkellWH

quote:

Bardot never let herself be made into an object on the screen. You always had to engage her as a person. I think the same was true of Ava Gardner.

That goes in spades for Ava Gardner. You engaged her on her own terms, if you engaged her at all. As a person, she was very much like the roles she played on the screen. In an earlier post I wrote that I still fall in love with Ava Gardner whenever I see her in the role of Maria Vargas in "The Barefoot Contessa," and in the role of Maxine Faulk, the widowed hotel keeper, in "The Night of the Iguana." When I see those films I think to myself that her screen characters are channeling Ava Gardner. I also liked the way she led her life more or less as a female "rounder," with lots of good drink and, for a while, living in Spain and running around with bullfighters, most prominently Luis Miguel Dominguin. She definitely was a lady to be reckoned with.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 17:59:04

Paul Magnussen

I was interested to read some time ago that bullfighting became illegal when Spain joined the Common Market; because the Market has regulations about the humane slaughter of cattle.

But of course, as is usually the case with regulations that are sufficiently inconvenient, this one is ignored.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:06:28

Morante

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to estebanana

[I've been meaning to start a thread about the American bullfighter John what's his name...? I saw a program on him a few weeks ago. ]

John Fulton
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:09:21

BarkellWH

quote:

I suspect there are others on the Foro who feel as you do, Paul. For my part, I learned about bullfighting as a teenager, first via reading Ernest Hemingway, then by attending Corridas in Mexico and later in Spain. I have also seen a couple of corridas in Bogota, Colombia. These days, I maintain a mild interest, but I would not call myself an aficionado. I don't root for the bull, and I don't especially want the matador to be gored, but I come pretty close to maintaining neutrality on that issue.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:09:36

BarkellWH

quote:

I was interested to read some time ago that bullfighting became illegal when Spain joined the Common Market; because the Market has regulations about the humane slaughter of cattle.

Bullfighting remains legal in Spain, except for the province of Catalonia. Last year, of its own volition, Catalonia banned bullfighting.

Cheers,

Bill

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:11:02

Morante

quote:

Peculiar ethics
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:11:17

estebanana

There are a lot of self rightious people in the US who object to bullfighting. They rattle on about about the torture of the bull as a spectacle. Meanwhile they stuff a hamburger in their mouth and not realize that the feedlots the cattle live in are more inhumane than bullfighting. And vegans are even worse, they taste terrible.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:28:52

Leñador

quote:

And vegans are even worse, they taste terrible.

The ones on an Indian food diet can be pretty tasty

I may be a horrible person but I don't put an animals life on par with a humans......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:31:56

Paul Magnussen

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to Morante

quote:

Peculiar ethics

Not at all: goes back at least 3,000 years:

3 He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man;

Isiah 66, v. 3

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:36:39

Leñador

I feel like that snippet looses a little steam when you see it in context to everything around it............No grain offerings either!!

“Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?
Where will my resting place be?
2 Has not my hand made all these things,
and so they came into being?”
declares the Lord.
“These are the ones I look on with favor:
those who are humble and contrite in spirit,
and who tremble at my word.
3 But whoever sacrifices a bull
is like one who kills a person,
and whoever offers a lamb
is like one who breaks a dog’s neck;
whoever makes a grain offering
is like one who presents pig’s blood,
and whoever burns memorial incense
is like one who worships an idol.
They have chosen their own ways,
and they delight in their abominations;
4 so I also will choose harsh treatment for them
and will bring on them what they dread.
For when I called, no one answered,
when I spoke, no one listened.
They did evil in my sight
and chose what displeases me.”
5 Hear the word of the Lord,
you who tremble at his word:
“Your own people who hate you,
and exclude you because of my name, have said,
‘Let the Lord be glorified,
that we may see your joy!’
Yet they will be put to shame.
6 Hear that uproar from the city,
hear that noise from the temple!
It is the sound of the Lord
repaying his enemies all they deserve.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:44:18

Paul Magnussen

quote:

There are a lot of self rightious people in the US who object to bullfighting. They rattle on about about the torture of the bull as a spectacle. Meanwhile they stuff a hamburger in their mouth and not realize that the feedlots the cattle live in are more inhumane than bullfighting. And vegans are even worse, they taste terrible.

The abuses involved in cattle-farming are swept under the carpet as much as possible; TV stations refuses to accept adverts from PETA, for example. And a short time ago there was actually talk of making it illegal to video cruel farming methods, although I don’t know if anything came of this.

Many of those who object to bullfighting also object to these methods. So I think you have to acquit those at least of hypocrisy, which I take to be the gravamen of your post.

But I agree about the vegans.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:52:36

Paul Magnussen

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

I may be a horrible person but I don't put an animals life on par with a humans......

Do you have to put an animal’s life on par with a human’s to object to your fellow creatures being tortured for fun?

Will you feel the same way of you’re reincarnated as a bull?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 19:02:35

estebanana

quote:

Do you have to put an animal’s life on par with a human’s to object to your fellow creatures being tortured for fun?

Well animals that grow on feed lots or in those cages have a lifetime of torture. Miura bulls live on an open range and only fight the last day of their lives and for 45 minutes and they get to kill the human if they can.

Bullfighting really is more fair. And in the end it's Spain's karma, and karma of the US for the feedlots is the karma of the US. Everyone is responsible for themselves or as a nation. for how they live.

In ancient times, from the times the bullfighting came from and the biblical Bronze Age, there was a concept called single warrior combat. Two chosen fighters from each side would fight on behalf of their group. You can also look at this idea that the drama of two, a protagonist and an antagonist, settles a complexity within a society and the loss is negligible. Like they say on Vulcan: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...to use a saying from science ficition...which usually makes more sense than the bible.

I remember a debate in which I saw Camille Paglia defend the Catholic Church even though she could cite it's many problems, as an institution that helped society get things off it's chest by the ritual of confession. She said it was a thousand years before Freud proposed the "talkign cure" that the church practiced this talking format. She said priests had heard confession and that it served the purpose of giving people a way of self examination, albeit through the filter of Christianity, but an outlet none the less even as convoluted as the church can be.

During the cold war the US and Russia were involved in the Space Race and in this book The Right Stuff, Tom Wolfe proposed the idea that the space race was a form of single warrior combat, Yuri Gagarin was warrior number one and so on until Apollo wins the fight. With minor side characters and sub plots like Gary Francis Powers being shot down in his U-2 over the USSR.

All this is to say ritual is very much alive in modern times and Spain practices a form of ritualistic sacrifice that may serve an unconscious purpose for that society.

In the US there are equally brutal cultures that are done for sport or pleasure, but not for art. And not done with the result of unifying a group of spectators and bonding them to an ancient cultural ritual. Take one form of hunting in the US that is thought of as the more "sporting" or skillful means to killing an animal, archery hunting.

Archery hunters sit in wait for a wild animal, they shoot it with hunting tipped arrows and if they do not make an instant kill, they have to track the animal until it bleeds out. A poor or even well skill bowhunter can't always nail the instant kill. It takes the right position, a heavy bow and luck to drop a deer and kill it with an arrow through the heart. The shot is taken from afar. Often the hunter has to track the animal while it limps, bleeds. Finally the hunter finishes the animal while it cowers hiding in a dense thicket, or lay prostrate and helpless on the open ground, alone, with no other witness of it's death.

A matador must stand between the sharp horns of an angry and extremely dangerous bull and place a sword between its shoulder blades to drop it and kill it in one stroke. A society that understands ths sacrifice bears witness to the brave bulls death.

Every culture bears it own karma. And that is the only truth.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 20:05:10

FredGuitarraOle

quote:

There are a lot of self rightious people in the US who object to bullfighting. They rattle on about about the torture of the bull as a spectacle. Meanwhile they stuff a hamburger in their mouth and not realize that the feedlots the cattle live in are more inhumane than bullfighting.

quote:

Well animals that grow on feed lots or in those cages have a lifetime of torture. Miura bulls live on an open range and only fight the last day of their lives and for 45 minutes and they get to kill the human if they can.

Estebanana, I couldn't have said it better. You summarized in a few words what would take me more than a thousand words to express. You saved me a lot of time, thank you.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 23:04:14

Morante

It should be realised that the histories of flamenco and the corrida are inextricably linked: in the formative years of flamenco, virtually all of the known cantaores were toreros, banderilleros, picadores, matadores. El Planeta and Enrique el Mellizo, the incredible family of the Ortegas, where all the men were toreros and all the women cantaoras or bailaoras: Joselito el Gallo, Caracol.

Any aficionado should know about the history of his art. Spanish culture is not American culture.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 23:26:16

Paul Magnussen

RE: Death of Patricia McCormick (La ... (in reply to Morante

quote:

Spanish culture is not American culture.

Certainly not. But cultures change, sometimes even for the better. For instance, the execution of heretics and blasphemers is no longer a matter of public entertainment — in some countries, anyway.

Britain finally got rid of foxhunting, not without a bitter struggle.

And the anti-bullfighting lobby in Spain is growing, as I understand — although of course it still has a long, long way to go. Even 30 years, it didn’t exist, as far as I could make out. Bullfighting was like the air you breathed; kindly old men said to me, in gentle astonishment, "¿No te gusta los toros?" (Being a guest in their country, I felt constrained not to criticise it; but I did say that I didn’t want to watch it.)

I’ve been told that it’s mostly the tourists that prop it up now, but I don’t know whether I believe this.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 23:54:34

Paul Magnussen

quote:

Miura bulls live on an open range and only fight the last day of their lives and for 45 minutes and they get to kill the human if they can.

Oh well, I guess that’s OK then. Tell you you what, maybe someone could organise a gladiator combat between between Prince Charles and Prince Andrew — secutor vs. retiarius, say? (they’ve had comfortable lives to this point, so they should’t complain about 45 minutes of pain. Princess Di vs.Camilla would have been better, if course, but I suppose it’s too late for that now).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2013 0:13:04

estebanana

quote:

Oh well, I guess that’s OK then. Tell you you what, maybe someone could organise a gladiator combat between between Prince Charles and Prince Andrew — secutor vs. retiarius, say? (they’ve had comfortable lives to this point, so they should’t complain about 45 minutes of pain. Princess Di vs.Camilla would have been better, if course, but I suppose it’s too late for that now).

Of course bullfighting is ok, humans who play football in the NFL come out with traumatic brain injuries, completely messed up bodies ans it public spectacle to watch men break each other, and quite artlessely compared to bullfighting. Nobody who has NFL tickets really cares that players brain injuries as matter of course. Why stop at bullfighting, just about everything should be banned.

So in football it's city state vs. city state in a contest to see who is tougher and quicker...same ol' gladiator rituals, only we have b=nto goten to the point where we kill them, yet. Just wait, Rollerball is the future.

Oh not to mention cage fighting, that is disgusting.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2013 1:01:20

Paul Magnussen

quote:

humans who play football in the NFL come out with traumatic brain injuries

Umm… would it be indiscreet to mention that the people who play football are volunteers? They trade pain for the money, which is of course their own decision. And the same with the cage fighters.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2013 1:37:22
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post