Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Navarro Student 2 Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

TANúñez

Navarro Student 2 Flamenco 

Selling a Navarro Student 2 model (pegs). This is the sister guitar to the two guitars gj Michelob ordered a few years ago. He provided Navarro with the rose rosettes for both guitars so there are only 2 like this in existence that I know off.

It's in good condition with some minor playing wear. Lightweight and fun to play. No cracks. Comes with hardcase. Asking $700 plus shipping. You can see more pics and info here. Click on the 'Additional Photos link.

http://www.lafalseta.com/Previously_Owned.html

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2013 19:39:52

Andy Culpepper

RE: Navarro Student 2 Flamenco (in reply to TANúñez

I used to own one of these Navarros with the rose rosette... not sure if it's this one or not. I kinda miss that guitar, super easy to play and a killer guitar for the price.

edit I just remembered I upgraded mine to planetary pegs so I guess not the same one but I'm sure it's similar

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2013 22:25:12

TANúñez

RE: Navarro Student 2 Flamenco (in reply to Andy Culpepper

gj had sold the other one before this one and I'm not sure who it went to or how many hands it may have changed since. I want to say someone here on the foro owns it.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 2:16:32

gj Michelob

Hey Tom... Silly as it may seem, i may be interested in buying it 'Back'...

oh -edit- and i love how you described why I [the client] ordered two identical guitars...

From LaFalseta: "This guitar is the sister guitar to another built at the same time with rose rosettes provided by the client. In order to avoid traveling with a guitar when the client commuted between two of his homes in opposite ends of the States, he had two guitars built so that he could simply leave one at each location. The owner has gone back to playing steel string guitars and decided to part with both of these Navarro's. He sold one privately and the other is for sale here. I have spent much time with this guitar and it is a joy to play."

Yes, I undoubtedly MUST have it back !!

The CLIENT [after a period of spiritual chaos] has 'gobe back to playing'...Nylon strings.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 16:18:09

TANúñez

RE: Navarro Student 2 Flamenco (in reply to gj Michelob

gj! good to see you and even better knowing that you will return to nylon. I think we all do this. At least I have. I've gone to playing steel strings but ALWAYS go back. I have also bought back guitars that I have owned lol.

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 18:31:51

gj Michelob

.... And -as the hammer hits the Auctioneer's desk- the heartwarming words reverberate gleefully... SOLD... to the odd gentleman who had bought it and sold it in the first place [go figure].

Thank you, Tom, I am as excited as Rombsix upon receiving his Hermanos Sanchis Carpio Naranja -as splendidly documented in his self portrait video I watched 3 times, enjoying that child-like-happy smile he had when he stroke the first few notes on his new guitar -the one thing we all, here, have in common, without exceptions!

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 16 2013 19:38:10

TANúñez

SOLD! back to gj

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 12:13:17

jeff_hatcher

Guitar re-acquisition syndrome (GRAS)?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 14:09:44

gj Michelob

RE: Navarro Student 2 Flamenco (in reply to jeff_hatcher

quote:

Well said Jeff... which really is a 'Comfort Re Acquisition Pathology'... or ... !

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 21:32:06

TANúñez

quote:

Good one

Tom Núñez
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 21:35:46

daffeey

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeff_hatcher

I've been afflicted many times

from the city of angels
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 4:06:01

bluesbuster

That was a quick sale, must be a great guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 6:28:19

gj Michelob

RE: Navarro Student 2 Flamenco (in reply to bluesbuster

quote:

That was a quick sale, must be a great guitar

There was once a thread about which of the many properties and aspects we consider chiefly when evaluating/acquiring a guitar.

I remember how Don Soledad [who owns an enviable collection of prominent makers' guitars] wrote that he deemed 'Playability' the most important element -while sound and aesthetics were secondary.

When it comes to playability, this Navarro Student was the 'easiest' guitar to play I had ever found, while -incidentally– having a more than a decent sound, in terms of both volume and of that woodsy, percussive quality I seek in a guitar. It was however, luthier-adjusted a few times until my own specifications were met. I sold it [along with its sister I kept in NY –this was my SF guitar- when I moved on to steel strings].

As David, at GSI had recommended –and I wish I would heed such prudent counsel more often- when you grow tired of a guitar you love, do not sell it, rather, store it in your attic [a temperature controlled attic, one would hope]. A few months or year later you will be amazed to rediscover its beauty. But remember –he warned quoting Pepe Romero- that guitars may be angry at you after being neglected for a while, and it may take some 'dating' before they respond properly again :-)

This Navarro may be really upset, but I will make sure there will be flowers and good wine in the room when she 'returns' home, next week.

gj Michelob
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2013 22:02:39

Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: gj Michelob

'Playability' the most important element -while sound and aesthetics were secondary.

I would say playability and sound are most important equally and aesthetics is secondary ;) (imo)

quote:

when you grow tired of a guitar you love, do not sell it, rather, store it in your attic [a temperature controlled attic, one would hope]. A few months or year later you will be amazed to rediscover its beauty.

I know many people with lot of guitars will disagree, but I personally am against having too many guitars. If you ask me i would even say max. 2 guitars. One blanca and one Negra.
Time is limited and it shouldn't be devided for too many different guitars. The more you play with one (good) guitar, the more you discover in it and the more you can winkle out of her and the more you and your guitar merge. On one hand we treat our guitars like nice and senstive girls, but then we buy one after another and store them in our harem :D

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 20 2013 22:36:26

daffeey

Well said

from the city of angels
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2013 6:45:26

jeff_hatcher

quote:

it may take some 'dating' before they respond properly again :-)

It's true! an instrument that doesn't get played "goes to sleep" (my term for it). I worked for a guy who ran a violin shop when I was younger, who claimed that when an instrument isn't played, numerous small, weak chemical bonds form in the structure of the wood that begin to limit vibration. The longer the instrument sits, the more bonds form. When the instrument is played regularly, these weak bonds break and the wood begins to vibrate more freely. You would notice that when we first got violins into the shop (he had a passion for older violins... usually these old factory made german instruments and sears and robucks models that were rather popular with bluegrass crowd), they would sound stiff and nasally. After playing the instrument for an hour or two, it would dramatically loosen up and start to acquire a more clear, singing, resonant tone. If we played it in for a couple of days, it would kind of hit its peak. Let the instrument sit for a month or so, and the tone would die away again.

Later, as I started taking courses in biochemistry, his theory made more sense. The structure of proteins and other biological molecules are strongly influenced by weak chemical bonds such as van der waals forces, hydrophobic/hydrophilic interactions, hydrogen bonds, and polar bonds. These bonds, individually, are not as strong as covalent bonds (atoms sharing valence electrons) or ionic bonds (such as form salt crystals), but by the sheer number that are made stabilize the structure of proteins.

When an instrument sits idle, the wood will seek its lowest energy state (chemically) by formation of these weak bonds (long discussion). As these bonds start to accumulate, the freedom with which the wood can vibrate is limited. The longer the instrument sits unplayed, the more these bonds can accumulate, up until the point where the the lowest energy available in the local environment of these bonds are achieved.

Playing an instrument injects kinetic energy into the structure of the wood, which would disrupt most of these weak bonds. Once broken, it can take time for these bonds to reform, so constant playing keeps the wood "limber".

There has been some research on this topic. I am looking for the original journal articles for this post in the New York Times, but haven't found it yet. The times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/27/science/when-violinists-play-their-violins-improve.html

Some related web articles,journal articles and abstracts:

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jsms1963/41/461/41_461_164/_article
http://www.afm.asso.fr/Accueil/Actualit%C3%A9s/tabid/317/ArticleId/381/Viscoelasticity-of-wood-under-humidity-variation-modelling-the-effect-of-transient-hydrogen-bonding.aspxhttp://liutaiomottola.com/myth/played.htm
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2013 14:13:36
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Useful Stuff >>Classifieds >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post