Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Being an artist.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

chester

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Ruphus

The top is a picture of Hirst's diamond encrusted skull.

Then there's a quote:
"The thing I hate the most about advertising
is that it attracts young people, leaving us mainly
with the slow and self-obsessed to become
our artists. Modern are is a disaster area.
Never in the field of human history has so
much been used by so many to say so little."

-Banksy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2013 3:12:35

Ruphus

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

So true!

And as confrimation about the ongoing nonesense unique in history may serve caveman paintings. ( Among which naturally there are some works of the lesser talented too, but with no brass label beneath that would be saying something to the extend of "90 bear claws due".)
As I think to have mentioned in another thread, it has been found out that cavemans art shows the animals walking legs more accurately than with contemporary images.
Such observing skills tenth of thousand of years ago.

... And anyway have we to change view on the "primitive" being of men in prehistoric times.
Stone tools have turned out to have been produced in the exact same practically suiting shapes as modern ones of steel.
And lately a 400 000 (!) year old spear was precisely reproduced.
Then it was tried out by an olympic athlete.
That thing turned out to be functional in exactly the same way like lately designed specimens of compound material.

Now imagine caveman standing in the Guggenheim Bol!ocks museum and shaking his head over awkward piles of inability and how a pseudo intellectual would claim that caveman couldn´t decipher the beauty only for not getting it.

And how would it be just todays completely upside-down era as we know it, if the surrounding crowd would nod to that.

So obvious and spread after all: The distinguished appearing fellow with the black clothes and long scarf ought to be the intellectual and the hairy smelling type in the mammoth skin can only be stupid.

Don´t we all know how these guys used to spend their spare time anyway ...

Ruphus

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2013 10:13:07

Arash

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

You are like in kindergarden....

Ruphus

I think you are both like in kindergarten.
I can't believe you guys are puting eachothers Art down with those type of comments. Extremely dissapointed.
I didn't get angry at the "segovia" thread, imo just a very old grumpy man who simply doesn't get it and has too much time...., it was fun too..... but this thread and the few comments i was reading from YOU guys is really dissapointing.
My mother painted "realistic" pictures for years, then all of a sudden she was just painting abstract and what many call modern art (i don't get it, but i would never say its crap, because i know she can paint anything in many different styles, so there must be something or a reason i don't understand).

This is like two members ,one produced a traditional guitar CD and another one a more modern one and then both say to eachother that the CDs and the compositions sound like sh.it the whole time, in such a serious manner.
whats wrong with you guys....
kindergarten. you are right

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2013 11:54:13

[Deleted] (in reply to Arash

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2013 13:06:16

Ruphus

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Arash

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arash

My mother painted "realistic" pictures for years, then all of a sudden she was just painting abstract and what many call modern art.

Arash,

People sometimes will switch for a very ordinary reason.

Because it is frankly easier and faster to do.

Would that be just too simple for an explanation, for a situation when a maker will receive the same or even more of feedback or of monetary compensation?
... And on the other hand for the considerable stamina it takes for many of tracable works.

BTW, I remember sitting over a DinA1 format in photo realism with pencil. ( Showing a naked beauty sitting on the floor with an ashtray before her foot and a smoking joint inside. - All from my mind, no photo projection to have that clear.)
Dunno, I think it took me three days or so.

Gave it to my oldest sister who had been pretending all of my childhood that the nicest gift I could make would allegedly be artwork.

Some time later I came to her city and found the picture rolled up behind the kitchen door. Torn apart from colour pen scratching of her six or so year old son.

Should have known that her understanding of the genre wouldn´t go beyond hanging up a picture that could be showing any motif she would not appreciate ( a darn joint).
Instead she would fly to Russia and `support artists´ by buying in for insane money complete garbage like centner-heavy chairs and table of ace resin filled with trash like rotten screws etc that would all poke out and wait to slash your trowsers open, or messes of oil pictures which weren´t even worth use as fake deko for Ikea showrooms.
-

"We"?
Have you seen me throwing back a same argument partout?
Have you seen me saying something that was of no sense?
-

Why would you want to make sure some value first if I handed you a filled paper bag and requested 5 grands for it?

And why not anymore, the minute that same thing be labelled "art" in some fashionable store? Why would you then imagine value?
Why will labels effect contents of your filing? ( A question also generally valid in contemporary societal and political aspects.)

Has it come to you anytime that we have switched from contents to labels in most blatant ways?

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 25 2013 17:41:26

Arash

Ruphus, i know for sure that the reason for trying out different styles, switching (at least as my mother is concerned) is not because its easier for her
or because she makes more money, etc. in fact she doesn't make any money at all with them and its just for her personally and for a very few selected people. she is very "shy" and doesn't want to sell anything (even though i offered to help her do that ;).

i understand that the experience with your sister probably even adds more fuel to the fire and your aversion for "modern" art, etc. but thats no excuse and some personal experiences shouldn't be a reason for a sweeping swipe at anything modern/abstract.

About the rest: i don't want to go into details. i just felt there is an ugly war going on and you both don't need to do that. art is something very personal and it hurts really bad if others put it down this way.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2013 12:31:02

Ruphus

Just to make clear. My sisters case served to underline what indifference is, but has nothing to do with my take on modern art, which was there already long before and has to do with the object as is.

Levelling demanding and undemanding product is not just something of individual personal regard. ( If it was I certainly wouldn´t be taking it as seriously as I do. Neither would you find corresponding quotes of intelligent artists like the one above or the one from Karl Kraus that indicate a related background.) The levelling effects objectively in that it devalues tracable proficiency.
It produces the wretched situation highly skillfully presented in Chester´s initial thread opening piece of art.

Obviously, if nonsense is only spread quantitativ enough the most obvious conditions will become uncertain to the people.

The saying of the "King´s new clothes" after all does come from somewhere. :O|

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 26 2013 19:19:02

estebanana

Arash, Shroomy,

I deeply apologize for my behavior. Art is not supposed to be used as away to teach someone a lesson. I was wrong to have exposed my work in that context. I makes me sad to hear you're are disappointed. Por otro parte, I feel as though I was attacked simply for the reason I have a different outlook and training. Also appalled that someone would disparage great, great artists simply because that person has a narrow scope of vision or what is and is not art. Very frustrating.

Should you ever be interested again in talking art, I am game. Again I'm sorry to have left a bad taste in your eyes. I feel like I have a lot to offer to the conversation, but I f-ed up this time. In Japan now with limited online time. Later

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 28 2013 0:07:43

estebanana

An architect I know who has a very well known practice that swings him back and forth between NYC and Los Angeles bought one of the drawings I posted. He said anytime I want to have him place drawings or paintings in his clients homes all I have to do is ask.

I will not laugh all the way to the bank or pull the wool over the eyes of any unsuspecting rubes in NYC, but I will pay the shop rent and make more art.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 1 2013 23:51:24

estebanana

http://blogs.artinfo.com/modernartnotes/2011/12/richard-diebenkorn-ocean-park-at-mamfw/

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date May 7 2013 2:42:51
Page:   <<   <   4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote