Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Being an artist.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   4 5 [6] 7 8    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Erik van Goch

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

And always making drawings of things that fly...

It doesn't have to fly to be the inspiration for a sketch :-) Your slightly "parrot beaked" osprey reminded me to this sketch.

Speaking about dead birds, i really love good taxidermy which is a form of art as well. This is one of the better taxidermists, his owls belong to the very best i know.

http://www.taxidermists.co.uk/

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 20:37:12

mezzo

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to c

quote:

Birds my favorite subject

c, I guess your avatar is from your own drawing. What kind of bird is represented in it?

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 21:27:56

chester

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to mezzo

Woodpecker?

I'm glad I started this thread and that it took off in a completely different direction.

C, estebanana, and ruphus - Thanks for sharing your work with us!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 21:35:21

mezzo

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

quote:

Woodpecker?

yeah! the red crest

These birds might done some great soundport.

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 21:53:22

c

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to mezzo

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this break from the usual problem causing subjects
The Pintail duck is a very common passerby in my area especially in spring and fall
This painting was inspired one year when a flock of several thousand were caught in a snow storm and spent about a week in the field next to my home.
When you looked closely with binoculars it became very obvious that there were
about 10 drakes for every hen. I have seen this in mallard flocks as well
I live right in the fly way for many migrating waterfowl.
But thats not why I used 2 drakes in the painting...its just because they look nicer
I took photos of pintails that I had stuffed and used them as reference The scenery
is typical of where I live.

The Piliated woodpecker is a local bird and I have many photos.
You guys are nailing the bird identification nicely

Next

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 22:59:46

c

I use the woodpecker avatar because Ricardo described a certain rasqueado
as the woody woodpecker laugh.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 23:14:21

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: c

You guys are nailing the bird identification nicely

Next

Did you know the tongue of a woodpecker is extremely long and as a result has to be guided/folded around it's skull. On top these winged cajon players skulls have to endure pressures that are totally incredible.
Speaking about on top, i was hoping to include top gears "magpie salute" but unfortunately al free views seem to be banned from the internet by the top gear police (only the last final words are traceable but should not be viewed out of context or without parental guidance).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 17 2013 23:28:49

Ruphus

Hey Chester,

You are very wellcome, it´s been my pleasure! :O)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik van Goch

these winged cajon players skulls have to endure pressures that are totally incredible.

Its being said that if woodpeckers would deviate only slightly from the precisely rectangular poise during picking it would break their neck immediately.
- And if we had a brain suspense like them Muhammad Ali would probably have been spared the MS, millions of folks would be brighter ( shaken as kids to shut up) and me too who has had some major crashes with his head.

C,

For a work not traced nor copied you have done a really great job with reproducing the pintails movement and the natural pliability of the feathers. Seems you are leaning more to the ornithological side. That togther with your always accurrate light consideration and a splendid colour apply has resulted in quite something altogether.

quote:

ORIGINAL: c

In many cultures´ tales the fox and the magpie will be starring together.
And me, born in Germany´s former DDR, used to watch the daily TV-Sandman there featured with a serial of fox & magpie puppet show, though stuffed with incredibly sqealing voices that would annoy the ears like hell.

All crow birds make a huge fuzz of landing on the ground.
( Only here, in a certain refined quarter, do I see them walk on the ground relaxed and even in midst of stray cats who apparently don´t dare to attack [ cats here usually stay very small in body size].)

And thus the answer came about as to why craws will always first call all the fellows in around miles when they find a carrion in the forest. Gathering huge crowds who will make a great spectacle over hours, before the first dares to land and very cautiously approach the feast.
The finder calls the others to help him check out the risk first.

And another item:
Crows can not only tell apart humans´ faces, but even precisely convey those to other crows, so that molesters will be shouted at even by corw communities tenth of miles away.
- Just for who is interested in zoology.

This was Pepe who I found in the middle of the street and who died at only 2,5 years of age ( probably shot, I didn´t dare to check).

Ruphus

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 9:14:08

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Erik van Goch

I'm getting too much nature. Too much nature and I have to into late night city mode.

About 1990 I was on series of paintings and drawings of jazz players, something I would like to return to. This is a washy fast drawing to think about composition.

Attachment (1)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 18:13:09

estebanana

The next two are ideas that were generated in the Book of Flight notes.

A mayfly wing drawing made by rubbing podwered pigment into a large sheet of paper and staining the the structure in with ink.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 18:34:44

estebanana

One of those winged seeds.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 18:42:50

estebanana

This is silver point drawing. Made with a piece of silver wire mounded in a small pen. The silver draws just like a pencil on a gessoed surface, but is harder and makes a thin line, the silver then tarnishes and gets darker. Old masters used these sometimes to transfer a drawing to a wood gesso panel because unlike pencil the silver point does not smear around and is easier to cover with paint than graphite.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 18:47:18

estebanana

A sketch book page from my first trip to Spain with my old NY super model girlfriend in the 80's. This must be Ibiza.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:00:15

estebanana

And since art has gone to the dogs, let's just include some mean city dogs.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:05:39

estebanana

More wing things from the Book of Flight:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:10:01

estebanana

Then mean city dogs need crazy guys to keep them, or maybe it's a mask.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:16:12

estebanana

I was eating a tuna fish sandwich in about 1989 at the kitchen table for lunch and there asa bottle of ink and a brush a this came out in about two minutes. Because art is war.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:19:13

estebanana

Then when it becomes to serious you have to get silly again. This was in my underground studio after I came back from China with a cache of water colors in summer '93.

They must put LSD in the water in some communist countries. The only possible title would be Tomatohead. And it is completely silly, because why not?

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:25:13

estebanana

So I have to pack all drawings away again and put them in storage.

There are hundreds more, but they will have to wait until I die and someone finds the real good ones and sells them.

Because the only good artist is a dead artist.

I'll escape now to Japan on my little funny boat:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 19:29:05

estebanana

One more for the road and then I return you to your regularly scheduled gallery hours.

This one is not done by me, it's a mystery artist:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 18 2013 23:30:05

chester

I'm totally taking the credit for your avatar pic change.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 0:59:32

estebanana

Fine then.

I opened up five portfolios of drawings each with a 50 to 60 drawings and looked at them an then packed them back. They are going back into storage. I might not see them again for several years. Sorry for the clogging fury of the posting. My mom asked me to post a bunch of stuff on facebook so she could see it and I just put some of them here.

It got me thinking about painting or drawing again, so you might have to take credit for that too, seeing as I'm a degenerate artist.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 1:41:44

chester

I'll send you my guitar, change the strings and we'll call it even.

You should totally start painting again, you know how those Japanese love the arts.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 2:28:29

Miguel de Maria

I like some of your stuff a lot, Stephen. Thanks for posting.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 4:06:57

Ruphus

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

quote:

ORIGINAL: chester

You should totally start painting again, you know how those Japanese love the arts.

Yeah, in the US Germany is known as the market where you can sell any musical trash ( David Hasselhoff loves the place ). Likewise Japan is known for adapting any thing as long as it is only appearing western ( the German group "Scorpions" loves the place).

From there the necessary connection to hype pseudo art should indeed be much easier to make in Japan, compared to the west where wannabe artists ( rightly claiming: "I can do that too!") are too crowding round the easy loft.

I can already see Stephen living in a palace and laughing his head off.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 8:58:18

estebanana

Well once again I have been put in my place. I realize that if I had lived during the WWII era in Germany that I too would have been included in the Degenerate Art show that them natzees put together to prove that artists like Emil Nolde and Kandinsky were deluded, but extremely dangerous fools.

You can't have expressionist painters walking around town either because they might hang out in coffee shops or bookstores and talk about poetry. This is bad because when you want to test your dive bombers out on little Spanish towns like Guernica those pesky degenerate ingrates will paint paintings about your aggression. And you know that is bad because if you are going to slaughter innocent people the least those sloppy painters can do for the nation is to go backwards to the classical art school training and paint the destruction and broken bodies in hyper realist style so we can see our handy work in visual language that our limited brains can understand.

Picasso was clearly doing a disservice to the glory of Goring's well trained air forces when he so brashly painted Guernica in an unrealistic style. He was truly a horrible man for the Reich. Those victims deserved so much more and Goring's administration really deserved to be glorified realistically.

Anyone caught doing anything other than the prescribed realist painting is Anti-Reich and will not be tolerated under any pretense. Furthermore, the big disfuctional capitalist art market should be subject in totality to hard labor in an Academic Art Reeducation Camp, AARC. Every man, woman and child involved in the art market needs to be horse whipped until they submit the proper forms and sign the auto de fe that states they will never again think a creative thought and always tow the party line of the Great Commissar in Charge of ART.

But wait, there is silver lining to this besmirched Teutonic sky:

I Stephen Faulk do confess to being a criminal and an offender of the true faith of the Church of Conformity. I shall bow my head before the great an omnipotent head Bishop of the Church of Conformity Ruphus the Great, Chastiser of the Faithless, Hero of the Great Cause of Sameness.

I humbly and helplessly submit to your overpowering will and shall from this day forward defend and commit myself to the furthering to the Artistic Principles of the Art Reich.

Now that that has been taken care of, don't worry about me any longer. My girlfriends father Yoshimori is a realist painter and graphic designer who is retired. He used to make movie posters for famous Japanese films of the 1950's and 60's. Now he just paints landscape paintings. He has agreed to be my jailer and watch to see that I don't offend any longer whilst under his watchful eye. Don't fret, old Yoshimori san will cast a scornful eye at his worthless degenerate son inlaws errant ways should I fall back into old and deceitful habits.

Behold! The honorable painting of Yoshimori san:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 18:15:06

Ruphus

As we apparently can´t have judge of skills and sense in arts without being Nazis, you should in the same time be capable of standing to the sinister of US policies from pre WWII until today that will just not allow any socio-economical fairness for the people ( like right now with the classical instigations in Venezuela), just to demonstrate your thinking eveness.

But that´s where you rather get hysterical and lose the coolness that you display while throwing irrational mud at me.

You shouldn´t even try pretending for sufficient sobriety to value difference in efforts for trash in contrast to those for art, as a person who can´t even mobilize enough objectivity to take what stupid patriosim will neglect.
When you can´t accept obvious history of inhumane agendas, damages and collateral globale destruction, all denied for ridiculously trivial reason of personal territory defense; how in the world could you ever come to accept how your clumsy and arbitrary makes above are simply the easy-peasy, undemanding waste of material and time that they are.

In the time that an actual piece of art usually takes to make, you can fill a trunk or three with untracable infantilism and ship the load to your fashionable galerist ( "conformity" you say ), for two things do count for a market where artistic skills are not relevant: quantity of spilled items and indeed at best a deceased trash maker.

Do you really fancy individualism with to-dos that in their makeup are downright copies of popular trash makers´?
Quite like playing When The saints Go Marching In and feeling to have created something.

Levelling trash and art is disdain for the capable who deserve a special classification like "artist".

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 20:37:33

estebanana

Doing the art talks, bullsheit walks.

End of story.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 19 2013 20:56:18

c

Here is a very controversial nature painting
not to do with human suffering or politics