Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Being an artist.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Leñador

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

Museums? Is that that thing up on the hill by the 405?? JK, It has been a while, I should do a tour and see how my preferences for things has changed since 10 years ago.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2013 22:50:08

Ruphus

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Leñador

Wow, what pictures.
One couldn´t do them without extremities and at least 7 years of age. >yawn<
Yeah, it ought to be taking reactionary being to appreciate skills and traceable concept. Why only enjoy special gifts when you can have hot air over amazing cavity.
- As long as the king´s new clothes may dress for Cyclops among the blind.

Paco Pena ain´t really much different from your average sixth class music lesson pupil either; one only needs to learn appreciating the latter.
-

... Don´t get me wrong. Not that I wouldn´t actually value amateur level.
I really do. ( And telling from experience: Lots more than many.)
But I know the difference with demand and accomplishment.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 5 2013 23:51:16

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Ruphus

quote:

Wow, what pictures.
One couldn´t do them without extremities and at least 7 years of age. >yawn<
Yeah, it ought to be taking reactionary being to appreciate skills and traceable concept. Why only enjoy special gifts when you can have hot air over amazing cavity.
- As long as the king´s new clothes may dress for Cyclops among the blind.

Paco Pena ain´t really much different from your average sixth class music lesson pupil either; one only needs to learn appreciating the latter.
-

... Don´t get me wrong. Not that I wouldn´t actually value amateur level.
I really do. ( And telling from experience: Lots more than many.)
But I know the difference with demand and accomplishment.

Ruphus

Are you serious you've never seen Bonnard? Or Morandi? Velasquez?

Keep talking.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 1:07:49

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to estebanana

It must be difficult and painful to conservative and hang on the True Cross of art all day. But we can address that right now.

Grunewald painted this for a monastery that was a hospice for people with the plague. They would open this massive painting up and it would tell the story of the Easter Bunny.

It's called the Isenheim Altar Piece. The sick used to look at it and it must have look like a technicolor film to the peasants. The center section of the painting that depicts the Resurection is called The Polychrome Christ. ( the painting opens at the center seam) It was used to give them hope because the Christ figure was suffering as they suffered and it was supposed help them feel like some one else could feel the pain they felt. ( the types of sores an flesh color of the Christ figure is meant to be similar tot the kinds of sires the plague victims would develop on their bodies.)

But not so fast with the religious mumbo jumbo. About 1990 an art historian was studying this painting as realized that the flora, the plants, depicted in the painting were medicinal plants in the time period. The monks that worked with the sick and dying in that monastery were using the plants to create medicines to give palliative care to the painfully wounded patients suffering from sores brought on by the plague. Which brings up several interesting points; When did the church begin to suppress the use of certain medicines and medical knowledge that was known? As related to when the patriarcal powers in the church began to persecute women who were village healers who carried the local medicinal lore from generation to generation. The men and women the church claimed were witches were really village healers who rebelled against church policy.

Of course Grunewalds painting was in a protestant country and is a protestant icon; the Spanish Inquisition was not in that area, but still the church fueled hysteria against healers was rampant and practiced by clergy in every Northern European Christian church as some point.

Oddly enough the same art historian who realized the plants in the Isenhiem Altar were medicinal researched them and found these plants have continued to be used into modern times. So moderns science used the same raw plant materials to make many drugs that formerly were thought to be utensils of witchcraft and the women to used these medicines were tortured and killed. One of the uses of a plant in this painting was for the creation of drugs for palliative care for AIDS patients.

And that my friends is why Art History is important. It shows truths and myths and if you look deep enough it elucidates which are real. Art history creates connection between us and our past in surprising ways.

And now I return to the lowly and menial task of carving guitar necks.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 1:40:45

shaun

quote:

He got to this place by flattening landscape paintings. Eventually if you keep flattening you get shallow space full of light and you can invent your forms and lines.

I've never had much of an appreciation for the more abstract paintings but when you explain it like that I actually start to get it and can understand where the painter is coming from. Unfortunately, without the explanation beforehand it seems like the painter just felt like throwing colors at something.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 2:25:03

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to shaun

quote:

've never had much of an appreciation for the more abstract paintings but when you explain it like that I actually start to get it and can understand where the painter is coming from. Unfortunately, without the explanation beforehand it seems like the painter just felt like throwing colors at something.

I'm very happy to hear you say that.

One of the keys to seeing is to look at an artist entire body of work and watch how they go from idea to idea. You see a slow progression abstract painters from figurative works to abstract works and the way they get there makes more sense if you track teh path way way the artist was seeing it.

Even figurative painters have a progression that typically gets more abstract even if they stay figurative.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 2:31:06

estebanana

One of my all time favorites. I went to Buffalo NY in the summer of 1995 to see this in the Albright Knox Gallery. It is by Arshile Gorky an Armenian painter to came to the US. It has the strange name of The Liver is the Cocks Comb.

Gorky was making more abstract landscapes too in a way, a lot of abstract painting comes from thinking about landscape. The reason is that there is what it called a 'figure -ground relationship'. That basically means a background with some type or horizon line implied and this creates a 'space' because the color or the line can push the space around a imply aerial perspective, or basically pictorial depth.

Gorky at this time was looking at flowers up close lets says and then drawing them really large and using them a "figure" on a background. It's more complex than that, but thinking about it as landscapce gives a you a great entry point to enjoy it.

And it's not intellectual. Gorky is a poet. A great tragic poet. He breaks your heart if you learn more about him. This painting is huge too, it stunned my when I finally stepped in front of it. I'll probably never see it in person again in my life, like alot of great art I've traveled to see. Gorky was also a big infleunce on Rothko as I'll show.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 2:53:55

estebanana

To illustrate more directly the idea of a classic abstract painting with a 'figure-ground 'relationship take a look at Rothko's early work 'Slow Swirl at the Edge of the Sea'.

He sets up a horizon line to give you a 'ground plane', an aerial perpsective device, and then like a jazz player he winds some lines into the space.

All this stuff is constructed from classical perspective and a working knowledge of how hot a cool color moves space back a forth. Hot colors generally recede and cool ones move forward. But it much more tricky that that.

Like Jazz musicians, these painters practice the formal parts of picture making for a long time before they bust out and improvise and invent their own forms.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 3:04:34

estebanana

Here is another interesting thing about pictorial space. Where in the space do the chops exist?

If you see there is a classical figure ground relationship between the ground plane, that implied line that establishes a horizon and the aerial perspective, even though it is shallow space. This is a Sung Dynasty landscape for the tenth century. You see they were messing around with the same ideas.

Compare the way the lines are drawn to depict rocks with the Berkeley period Diebenkorn I have up thread. Starting to see connections in the way artists see?

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 3:17:30

Ruphus

Idea alone is not enough.
( The lesser even when there is nothing special about it / no content conveyed.)
-

Colour is overly celebrated by who can´t draw.
( Who was it again saying that adding the colour was just like peeing over it? You who are so firm with quotes might know.)
-

My cousin, professor for architectur and art painting, was teaching perspective at the Berlin university. He despaired on student´s inability to understand the rules, for actually within common use it isn´t that hard to grasp.

More complicated is distorting in the way my cousin likes to do, like say painting a view from a NY sky scrapper top on the walls of an entry hall, etc. Or with the panorama rotundes he is currently exhibiting.

Then again I am critising him in so far as his past decade projects are under the level of his former paintings, for now he is making use of photography crutch too. Preparing panoramas in the computer and merely painting over where the plotter failed.

Granted, without his profound knowledge of perspective the technological means couldn´t help it either, and yet:
Items like theory of colours and of perspective are "only" of the means that an accomplished artist engages in conjunction with idea.

To demonstrate merely a single skill ( and that often enough, hardly) is not special enough in proficiency to ennoble some doing with a dedicated title like "art".

Any who thinks to know better, easily skipping over exclusive skills, may try to only remotely achieve the skills in the initial picture above first.
On they way to there he will certainly come to appreciate actual proficiency for one.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 9:08:53

KMMI77

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 27 2013 10:16:01
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 10:31:43

estebanana

High and mighty arty art critics like to put down Norman Rockwell as an overly sentimental inllustrator. Well he really could be subversive when he felt he had to be. He was a trusted non confrontational image maker of American life, often interjecting some wry humor into his illustration work for the Saturday Evening Post covers he painted.

He had the predominantly white publics trust as a recorder of white America's daily life, but it gave him the power to be subversive on occasion and his position as America's trusted story teller gave much weight to his visual opinions even when they when against the grain of his praise of Americana. Rockwell would risk many subversive opinions in his career, here is probably his best, from 1964.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 17:16:55

estebanana

He was also apt at poking fun at anything including his own profession. But you have to wonder who is he getting one over on?

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 17:28:42

estebanana

quote:

Colour is overly celebrated by who can´t draw.
( Who was it again saying that adding the colour was just like peeing over it? You who are so firm with quotes might know.)

I've got time for one more, as if anyone cares, but I'm having a good time. So lets put this false notion to bed once and for all.

In early 1996 I attended a lecture given by the woman who was heading up the conservation and restoration team that was cleaning the Sistine Chapel ceiling. There were about 500 people in the audience, mostly art historians and art history students.
The lecture focused on the before and after understanding of Michelangelo's work and what was discovered after the centuries of grime were removed from the frescos.
In nut shell it was this and it changed the way the art world understood the Italian Renaissance and its prime artist; Michelangelo was above all, a great colorist.

Before the chapel ceiling was cleaned it was the rule in art history to think of Michelangelo as a draughtsman who subordinated color to a lower position in importance in painting. After work on the frescos had begun in 1994 it became clear very quickly that Michelangelo was using bright rich color that rivaled a even in some ways surpassed that of Raphael, his art historical nemesis. This idea kind of turned Italian Renaissance scholarship on its ears.

The conservation team photographed each stage of the cleaning process carefully and when they had enough individual vaults cleaned to make a presentation of the results they brought it to the attention of art historians in the early an mid 1990's. The general public did not get the results until the final cleaning had been completed and the Chapel was reopened in 1999 for public view.

Previous to the cleaning the paradigm in Italian art was that Michelangelo stressed form, modeling line and all the other structural elements of his work over color. After the cleaning it was observed this idea was false. This paradigm held sway in art history for a couple hundred years prior to the revelatory discovery of the vivacity of Michelangelos color. The most old farty stuffy art historians pretty much embraced that Sistine color as a breath or fresh air and a wonderful achievement of forward movement in art history.

But still there appear to be the old guard who did not get the memo....

Micheangelo, Raphael should have said to you: Il Miglior Fabro!

quote:

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 18:01:35

estebanana

quote:

Any who thinks to know better, easily skipping over exclusive skills, may try to only remotely achieve the skills in the initial picture above first.
On they way to there he will certainly come to appreciate actual proficiency for one.

Here is another Diebenkorn from the early 1960s- I think I already made that point about how a landscape picture can be "flattened" out and still have perspectival space in it. This one shows how he is about to make the jump into those large abstract paintings of big panels light in Los Angeles.

Of note is the lower left hand corner and the subtle shadows painted at a diagonal into the street. The tiny shift in color on the sidewalk and street shows a pretty masterful understanding of light. I guess I don't get enough of this, I love this kind of painting.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 18:29:51

estebanana

There is also the quandry of Gerhard Richter the German. He paints like this in one studio and .......

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 18:45:59

estebanana

......in and another studio he paints this way...at a the same time. He makes realistic images and abstract pictures in the same months.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 18:48:02

estebanana

Sister Wendy says Checkmate!

Esteban wins.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 18:50:25

Richard Jernigan

Yet today--or at least last May--you can't see the colors in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel if you take the tour of the Vatican Museum.

After tramping for miles (literally, miles) with the thundering herd through marble corridors lined with the loot of centuries, you come to the chapel. The curtains are drawn shut on the windows, the only windows, high above the floor. The light is very dim, almost dark. The crowd is suffocatingly dense, shoulder to shoulder, back to back, belly to belly.

You don't dare spend any time gazing up at the ceiling, or your will be knocked off your feet by the jostling mob. But a few quick glances reveal only dim, dull forms.

You can find a seat on the long stone bench attached to the wall on one side, if you wait long enough. Then people stand in front of you, glaring at you to encourage you to move so they can take your seat.

So, you compose yourself to remain calm, and think of something else until it is time to shoulder your way through the massed herd, to meet your guide at the appointed time at the exit.

You manage to end up at the doorway, but on the wrong side of the velvet rope meant to funnel the mob into the next cattle chute. But the guard, seeing your predicament, unhooks the rope and lets you pass, with unfailing Italian courtesy.

All in all, a wonderful experience of great art!

Sister Wendy looks nice enough. My buddy Renaldo and I caused enough trouble in 4th grade San Antonio public school that they sent him to the nuns for 5th grade. Fortunately I was a Protestant. He said you could never tell when one of those nice looking nuns would whip our her ruler and rap your knuckles if you disagreed with her!

I'd say she knows what she's talking about...

But perhaps we mathematicians and physicists are made more accustomed to the process of abstraction by our training. It seems obvious enough that you can't take the surface of a donut and flatten it out onto a sheet of paper without cutting it somewhere. Yet the process of proving this logically involves the invention of abstract concepts like Euclidean manifolds, the topological ideas of compact and connected sets, continuous mappings...things the plumber or sculptor need not concern himself with, even if he is a brilliant virtuoso at his trade.

But once the concepts are invented, the mathematician finds them interesting objects of study in themselves, just as the artist who has mastered color in realistic painting can find it interesting to study in and of itself.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 19:36:27

estebanana

The answer is really simple Richard. You must become a cardinal to see the chapel, or look at pictures taken during the restoration.

There's a joke in there somewhere about Restoration, Counter Restoration and Protestants, but today I'm not up to formulating it.

Euclid should have made an equation to make flat jokes appear curved and funny.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 6 2013 20:48:02

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

The answer is really simple Richard. You must become a cardinal to see the chapel, or look at pictures taken during the restoration.

I fear that cardinality is not in the cards for me, due to my history of perhaps over enthusistic engagement in wordly pursuits.

But wait! With a good agent and a bidding war for all the dirt among L'Osservatore Romano, Corriere della Sera, et al...I could offer a cut of the proceeds to the Curia to pay for my red hat....

After all, my 16th-century ancestors had a solid record of innovative political strategies in support of the True Religion--and a few thousand acres of heritable leases on Church land.

Time for my weekly Cuban cigar and a sip of single malt, so I will leave you in peace.

"If there is anyone present whom I have not offended, I tender my apology." Johannes Brahms

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2013 4:24:03

RibNibbler

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Irving Petlin...

Attachment (1)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2013 8:21:54

BarkellWH

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Richard Jernigan

quote:

I fear that cardinality is not in the cards for me, due to my history of perhaps over enthusistic engagement in wordly pursuits.

Engagement in worldly pursuits was never a hindrance to high office in the Church. St. Augustine kept a mistress for many years in Carthage before becoming Bishop of Hippo in the 4th century. In the 15th and 16th centuries, the Borgia Popes committed adultary, simony, theft, and above all murder, both before and during their papal reign. There is yet hope, should you wish to don clerical robes.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 7 2013 12:12:21

[Deleted] (in reply to Leñador

[Deleted by Admins]
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 14:29:35

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

He was also apt at poking fun at anything including his own profession. But you have to wonder who is he getting one over on?

I've always been a huge fan of Rockwell. This link includes some interesting reading about this painting.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=FwF-AWzsLIYC&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=connoisseur+rockwell&source=bl&ots=P7_hGJ3PWp&sig=mS4uCU_WFFgRhzDj7V-zUWMcePc&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=LOhiUfmXFIWZO6j0gYgI&ved=0CJABEOgBMA4#v=onepage&q=connoisseur%20rockwell&f=false

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 16:16:31

FredGuitarraOle

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to chester

This topic is exactly like the classes at my university... I don't understand sh*t...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 17:45:05

Richard Jernigan

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Guest

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shroomy726

This is the luxury of traveling without a "tour group" (which I DESPISE!!).

The group tour of the Vatican Museum is about the only one I can remember taking. I had gone to the entrance before, and saw the gigantic queue that reached down the street for hundreds of meters. The pleasant young man at my hotel desk said the tour groups were admitted with priority. It was true, and the hour of disorganized milling about before we got started could be passed sitting down in pleasant weather outdoors.

Still, inside the museum was more like a cattle stockyard then an artistic experience. The crowd in the chapel was such that I soon gave up on trying to see the ceiling, and retreated into a calmer atmosphere within myself to await the rendezvous with the group at the appointed time.

I half remembered people taking flash pictures, but then thought, "No, they could not possibly have been that crass." It almost makes me nostalgic for the old Mexico City "azules" cops, who would have beaten them to the floor with their sticks, and left them unconscious and bleeding as reminders to behave better.

There was a little more breathing space in Saint Perter's basilica, allowing the victim to admire the oppressively arrogant scale and opulence of the architecture.

For a display of wealth and power, I prefer the Taj Mahal. It is immense and hugely impressive, but friendly and uplifting in its serene beauty. It makes the spirit soar.

Unfortunately Shah Jehan's son found it necessary to depose and imprison his father for nearly bankrupting the realm. And they say the old Shah wasn't half the man he was before his beloved Mumtaz died, and he began the design and construction of her tomb.

While waiting for the Vatican tour to get organized, I did spend a pleasant time chatting with a Norwegian family--a middle aged man and wife, and the parents of one of them.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 17:55:52

aeolus

Fortunately I made the grand tour in 1965 which meant really good exchange rate (25 cents for a mark or frank) and even in July minimal crowds. So a leisurely stroll through the chapel which of course had yet to be restored to its original clarity but judging from the anguished cries from the cognescenti perhaps this was a plus. I prefered the trompe l'oeil in the Pitti Palace in Florence.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 21:33:24

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to FredGuitarraOle

quote:

This topic is exactly like the classes at my university... I don't understand sh*t...

If there is anything I can possibly help answer or clarify let me know. I don't understand it all either, but I've just worked at this stuff for a long, long time. The thing is to really find apart or art you do like and just be with that. Branch out from there little by little. But if there is a class that baffles you I might be able to help. I'm really good at explaining the stuff that jackass college professors mess up.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 22:42:13

estebanana

RE: Being an artist. (in reply to Erik van Goch

quote:

've always been a huge fan of Rockwell. This link includes some interesting reading about this painting.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=FwF-AWzsLIYC&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=connoisseur+rockwell&source=bl&ots=P7_hGJ3PWp&sig=mS4uCU_WFFgRhzDj7V-zUWMcePc&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=LOhiUfmXFIWZO6j0gYgI&ved=0CJABEOgBMA4#v=onepage&q=connoisseur%20rockwell&f=false

I read some of that, I think he comes to the absolute wrong conclusions about Rockwell's power relationship between commercial and and crazy old Pollock. But I'll have to get it it in depth later.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 8 2013 22:45:12
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote