Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Time Trainer Metronome   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

HolyEvil

Time Trainer Metronome 

Hey guys, I encountered a metronome with a good feature to train our inner compas.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AP-001-TimeTrainerMetronomeApp.php

I'll just cut n paste the feature it has.

"...it has all the features you need in a metronome: accent control, tempo, a flasher and a few different sounds, but it also contains 3 exciting tools to help you develop your time away from the metronome: Bar Breaks, Random Beat Drop and Speed Upper."

The Bar break and random beat drop is great for inner compas training.

"Keeping time with a metronome is one skill... keeping your tempo solid when the metronome stops is a whole new game! I think this tool is one of the most useful you can use to help develop your "inner metronome" and it will greatly improve your tempo consistency (after plenty of practice of course). The goal is to be solid with your time when the clicks are muted (the metronome will keep going, you just won't hear it). You should still be perfectly in time when the clicks start again!"

I set mine to 4 bars of 3 beats for a 12 beat compas, and have it miss 8 bars, essentially taking out 2 compas and I found out that I tend to speed up a fraction during that 2 compas.
You can make it 1 bar of 12 beats and take out 8 bars which is 8 compas cycles.
Pretty neat.

And the speed tempo upper is good for picado freaks, the beat gradually increases as you practice your scales (which I never do)

it's just 2 bucks. Pretty useful.
Can only get better if there's dots for each beats. Like 12 dots of light which lights up sequentially for the 12 beat cycle so we won't finish on the 11 when we play our falsetas.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2013 23:52:30

Ricardo

RE: Time Trainer Metronome (in reply to HolyEvil

Cool. Yet another potty trainer to replace the good ol' simple click which you can do all the above with. The drop out and speed things and accent etc all fun of course. Drum machine even more fun.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2013 18:14:25

HolyEvil

RE: Time Trainer Metronome (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

Cool. Yet another potty trainer to replace the good ol' simple click which you can do all the above with. The drop out and speed things and accent etc all fun of course. Drum machine even more fun.

How can a simple click metronome do the features? Like dropping a few bars?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2013 23:42:31

Sr. Martins

quote:

While playing, stand up, walk into another division where you can no longer hear the click, return.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2013 23:52:07

machopicasso

quote:

Cool. Yet another potty trainer to replace the good ol' simple click which you can do all the above with.

Is there anything one can do with "the good ol' simple click" that one cannot do with the new "potty trainer" metronomes?

I take it that part of your skepticism regarding the latter might be that the sexier features distract from what's involved in developing a solid, inner sense of timing. If so, I think there's something to that.

At the same time, if one's metronome includes a visual representation of a 12-beat compas, then can't one improve both one's sense of timing and one's understanding of the larger structure of a complex piece of music? For those of us who haven't been studying music for the past two or three decades, that can be a real asset.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2013 9:22:06

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

volume knob.

quote:

Is there anything one can do with "the good ol' simple click" that one cannot do with the new "potty trainer" metronomes?

I take it that part of your skepticism regarding the latter might be that the sexier features distract from what's involved in developing a solid, inner sense of timing. If so, I think there's something to that.

At the same time, if one's metronome includes a visual representation of a 12-beat compas, then can't one improve both one's sense of timing and one's understanding of the larger structure of a complex piece of music? For those of us who haven't been studying music for the past two or three decades, that can be a real asset.

Well, I have talked much about this in the past. Look up Victor Wooten metronome example in the archives. Idea being the more metronome you have helping you, the the easier you have it. If your goal is to have good time you need to (in wooten's words) "ween yourself off of the metronome". YOu have to learn to feel all the groove inbetween the clicks and the phrasing of meter too. The metronome clicking is simple and all can be done with only that, until comes the day you don't even really need it but don't mind practicing with it anyway. The click need not always be the 'beat" the click can mean different things relative you your playing, learning to relate your playing to it is key in such a way that (in ToddK wise words) the click appears to be "following you", not vice versa.

The trap with the potty trainers is they help and then you become either a person chasing accents, not grooving and controlling time, and worse, your playing ends up to rely on the thing such that without it you are lost.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2013 14:17:59

RibNibbler

quote:

Yet another potty trainer to replace the good ol' simple click which you can do all the above with.

potty training helps get sh*t in the right place
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2013 19:07:37

El Kiko

RE: Time Trainer Metronome (in reply to RibNibbler

Bazinger...........

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2013 19:52:33

guitarbuddha

quote:

ORIGINAL: RibNibbler

quote:

Yet another potty trainer to replace the good ol' simple click which you can do all the above with.

Oh the betrayal.....
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2013 20:36:49

mark indigo

quote:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 2 2013 20:51:23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages