Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

has anyone heard of Manuel Fernandez Fernandez Guitar?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

blinkknilb

has anyone heard of Manuel Fernandez... 

I have this guitar, It is Granada style with thinner body and man this guitar sounds like a pure earthy heart! It is also a very easy player guitar, unlike Madrid guitars. I can not wait to get home to play it again. I do not have much information on the maker, also I am not sure how rare this guitar is? Would be great if you share any information you have.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2013 20:51:56

Ramon Amira

RE: has anyone heard of Manuel Ferna... (in reply to blinkknilb

quote:

Manuel Fernandez Fernandez Guitar

Yes, he is the son of the actor Pedro Gonzales Gonzales.

No, but his own son is in fact José Manuel Fernandez Enriquez, a very fine luthier from Granada.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2013 21:04:53

C. Vega

Manuel Fernandez Fernandez was born in Sevilla in 1930.
He apprenticed with Eduardo Ferrer in Granada beginning at age 12. He later worked for a number of other shops including some in Madrid and Barcelona. He opened his own shop in Granada in 1952.
His son Jose Manuel Fernandez Enriquez began working with him in 1987 and took over the workshop when Manuel died in 1997.

Manuel's instruments aren't encountered all that often. They are well made but they never quite gained the reputation or brought the prices of those from some of the other Granada makers like the Marin and Bellido families, Raya, etc. I've seen one of his son's guitars but I wasn't able to play it. It did appear to be very nicely constructed.
I used to own an 8-string classical guitar with cypress back and sides and a spruce top that was made by Manuel in 1995. It had clean workmanship and easy playability but was spoiled by a thick sprayed synthetic finish, most likely applied by an outside contractor and not Manuel. The sound was not particularly impressive.
The headstocks of both Manuel's and his son's guitars resemble the Conde "media luna" design.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 31 2013 22:36:57

mark indigo

quote:

has anyone heard of Manuel Fernandez...

yes, there was another thread recently about this maker

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=227801&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=manuel%2Cfernandez%2Cfernandez&tmode=&smode=&s=#227833

quote:

The headstocks of both Manuel's and his son's guitars resemble the Conde "media luna" design.
sort of.... not really though!

another pic here

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (2)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2013 10:49:48

mark indigo

also some more info on both father and son (some repeated info here, but some new bits):

José Manuel Fernández Enriquez

was born in Granada in 1969, and was trained by his father, Manuel Fernandez Fernandez. Jose worked side by side with his father from 1987 until his death in 1997, and has since taken over the workshop. Like his father, because his workshop is not on a public street, and is hard to find, Jose is forced sell his guitars for less than other guitar makers in order to attract clients. Thus, José continues his father's tradition of building high quality, but very affordable classical and flamenco guitars.

Manuel Fernández Fernández,

was born in Sevilla in 1930. Like many luthiers, he began his working life as a cabinet maker, apprenticing when he was nine years old. He was twelve when he came to Granada to live, and started his long apprenticeship with Don Eduardo Ferrer.

In 1952, he opened his own workshop. Even then, because he his an inquisitive man, he set out to investigate the methods, designs, and ideas used by other builders in Cordoba, Barcelona, Madrid, and elsewhere. He worked in almost every workshop in Spain, even though at times it cost him money to do so, since not everyone paid him. Finally, he reached the conclusion that the traditional system of flamenco and classical guitar construction based on the techniques of Antonio Torres.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 1 2013 11:35:25

blinkknilb

quote:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=227801&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=manuel%2Cfernandez%2Cfernandez&tmode=&smode=&s=#227833

Thank you. Guitar is up for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 11 2013 7:04:34

NewPlayer

Anyone have any experience with these guitars?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2018 21:31:01

Schieper

RE: has anyone heard of Manuel Ferna... (in reply to Ramon Amira

Yes, he is the son of the actor Pedro Gonzales Gonzales.

lol... crapped my pants over this one :-)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2018 9:45:30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post