Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Manuel Molina   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mark74

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to zata

Yerbabuena is mint?

I'd thought it meant weed....no wonder it was schwag
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 5:04:45

Ricardo

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to ralexander

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralexander

So the one he refers to as "fatty", is that a daughter of his?

I think fatty and fatso are bad translations. In english it's derogatory but in spanish it is quite endearing to call a woman you like or love "gordita". Makes me wonder how do we in English describe a woman with meat on her bones we find attractive? Extra curvy? Super voluptuous? Baby got back?

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 6:10:13

zata

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I think fatty and fatso are bad translations. In english it's derogatory but in spanish it is quite endearing to call a woman you like or love "gordita".

It's just as demeaning in Spanish as in English...no woman likes being called "fatso", and it sets a clear precedent of disrespect. It's a Spanish cultural thing to make fun of physical defects or problems...guitarist Perico del Lunar, (Little Pedro of the Mole) had his mole removed, but people made sure to perpetuate the name...singer Gordito de Triana (Triana Fats) was so thin as to be ugly, so people gave him the cruelest nickname...other flamenco nicknames include El Caca (Piece of Poop), el Falo (the Phallus), Aurelio El Tuerto (One-Eyed Aurelio) or a guitarist here in Jerez called Seis Dedos (Six Fingers, since that's what he's got on his left hand, and no, he does not play amazing chords).

When I moved to Spain forty years ago I was appalled at how retarded people or children with Down's were made fun of, but I haven't seen that in a long time except among the lowest classes.

I helped Tao with the subtitles, but could find no credible way to avoid "fatty". If I'd thought it was an endearing term I could have suggested "darling" or "sweetheart", but an inner voice told me that would deform the intent.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 9:30:31

el carbonero

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to mark74

El mono,el perro (de paterna),la burra,borrico,el pulga,el cojo....
are pretty name
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 12:18:55

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: zata

quote:

I think fatty and fatso are bad translations. In english it's derogatory but in spanish it is quite endearing to call a woman you like or love "gordita".

It's just as demeaning in Spanish as in English...no woman likes being called "fatso", and it sets a clear precedent of disrespect. It's a Spanish cultural thing to make fun of physical defects or problems...guitarist Perico del Lunar, (Little Pedro of the Mole) had his mole removed, but people made sure to perpetuate the name...singer Gordito de Triana (Triana Fats) was so thin as to be ugly, so people gave him the cruelest nickname...other flamenco nicknames include El Caca (Piece of Poop), el Falo (the Phallus), Aurelio El Tuerto (One-Eyed Aurelio) or a guitarist here in Jerez called Seis Dedos (Six Fingers, since that's what he's got on his left hand, and no, he does not play amazing chords).

When I moved to Spain forty years ago I was appalled at how retarded people or children with Down's were made fun of, but I haven't seen that in a long time except among the lowest classes.

I helped Tao with the subtitles, but could find no credible way to avoid "fatty". If I'd thought it was an endearing term I could have suggested "darling" or "sweetheart", but an inner voice told me that would deform the intent.

Well my spanish speaking friends say it all the time to very good friends and loved ones that are heavy, and it is no harm intended, infact the opposite, a lot of love and respect there. To do the same to any english speaking friends or relatives in english would be very disrespectful only causing bad feelings or worse to get ostrisize or invoke a fight. I understand the need to translate something for what he says, but in english it sounds like he wants to put her down for being overweight, yet I know darn well what he means and how much he cares for her and has no problem with how she looks. "my corpulent beauty..." or something is closer.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 18:34:58

zata

quote:

Well my spanish speaking friends say it all the time to very good friends and loved ones that are heavy, and it is no harm intended,

Yes, and "some of my best friends are black". If you're American you will have learned to detect this kind of cloaked insult.

As I said, making fun of people's weaknesses is a purely cultural habit which is slowly fading away in Spain. Upper-class Spaniards no longer call people fatso, bug-eyes or gimp. Times change.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 18:44:23

mark74

I think of the aforementioned nicknames I'd choose El Falo if pressed to choose one...unless, of course, it was meant ironically
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 3:24:47

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: zata

quote:

Well my spanish speaking friends say it all the time to very good friends and loved ones that are heavy, and it is no harm intended,

Yes, and "some of my best friends are black". If you're American you will have learned to detect this kind of cloaked insult.

As I said, making fun of people's weaknesses is a purely cultural habit which is slowly fading away in Spain. Upper-class Spaniards no longer call people fatso, bug-eyes or gimp. Times change.

Sure, spain, only culture to do that. Anyway, nobody else speak spanish want to pipe in? fine. manuel was being derogatory about his wife.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 5:37:39

machopicasso

quote:

Sure, spain, only culture to do that. Anyway, nobody else speak spanish want to pipe in? fine. manuel was being derogatory about his wife.

Unless I've misunderstood zata, I don't think she's implying Manuel was trying to be "derogatory about his wife." I think she was just describing a cultural practice, and one which she acknowledged as not being unique to Spain (cf. "If you're American..."). Derogatory terms -- like terms of hate speech -- can be complex. Even if one's intentions are good; if one traffics in derogatory terms -- perhaps because that's the cultural norm --, then one runs the risk of offending those to whom one hopes to show affection.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 9:37:17

machopicasso

quote:

I've had a few translation gigs. I think you made the right call.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 9:41:01

kudo

quote:

but in spanish it is quite endearing to call a woman you like or love "gordita".

not just in spain. but mexico too.

at least i know that in mexico and argentina, close friends call each using insulting words. so instead of saying "hey bro/man..." , they would say things like " hey as*hole...." , " hey **** ...." , its so common that its just normal and those words among close friends doesnt sound insulting anymore...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 13:30:22

Miguel de Maria

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to kudo

I have spent a lot of time around Mexicans. My experience is they rib each other and call each other names mercilessly. The most common word in a kitchen with a lot of Mexicans is "way" (sounds like that, at least), which seems to be used something like "dummy" or "chump". You'll also hear "cabrooooon", often extended like that. If someone's fat, he's panzon, if someone's bald, his nickname is pelon. Any person of Asian descent or who even looks like it is Chino.

However make sure you don't call people "way" indescriminately; you have to be at a certain level of friendship or it's an insult. I stepped over the line calling a chef "Bernaco" (Bernardo was his name, "naco" means something like white trash for Mexicans). He used to call me "Orgullo Latino", as a joke because I play Latin music even though I'm not of Latino descent. Keep in mind a lot of this must be lower class mannerisms and locker room talk, and not proper for formal circumstances. It is entirely possible that Manuel's way of talking to his wife is acceptable in his area, but not politically correct or legitimately insulting for middle class or upper class people.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 14:22:34

Sr. Martins

By the translation, "fatty" sounds a bit harsh but I guess there isnt a better way to translate it unless there's somekind of explanation to go along with it.

Gordita means fatty but as someone else has pointed out, its a different culture. He says Gordita in a positive way but I cant find a positive context where the word "fatty" would fit in.

Maybe "big momma", "chubby" or "chunky lady"?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 14:34:29

Ricardo

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to kudo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kudo

quote:

but in spanish it is quite endearing to call a woman you like or love "gordita".

not just in spain. but mexico too.

at least i know that in mexico and argentina, close friends call each using insulting words. so instead of saying "hey bro/man..." , they would say things like " hey as*hole...." , " hey **** ...." , its so common that its just normal and those words among close friends doesnt sound insulting anymore...

The gorda or gordita thing is not a class thing. Its super normal amongst spanish speaking people the world over. and as I said endearing. Sure there are derogatory uses of other words or nicknames and the simple point I make is that to translate into english you shouldn't do it literally if you want the meaning to come through. Otherwise the guy is painted in a bad light suddenly despite the context.

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 16:54:14

Sr. Martins

"Big momma" would come across much better
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 29 2013 17:57:30

machopicasso

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

My experience is they rib each other and call each other names mercilessly...If someone's fat, he's panzon, if someone's bald, his nickname is pelon

Ah, that explains it. Years ago, I was walking -- gringo with a shaved head -- through Managua, Nicaragua, and passed a family of three. Their son, who was like 8 or 9 years old, said, "Hola, pelon." I was slightly surprised by that. But I was more surprised at the reaction of his parents. Instead of chastising him for his rude behavior (as my parents would've done), they laughed!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 9:23:19

machopicasso

quote:

Sure there are derogatory uses of other words or nicknames and the simple point I make is that to translate into english you shouldn't do it literally if you want the meaning to come through. Otherwise the guy is painted in a bad light suddenly despite the context.

That's a fair point. But part of the problem for the translator is that the derogatory history of the word is part of its connotation. If you translate the word as something completely affectionate (e.g. "darling" or "dear"), then you lose that nuance. The challenge for the translator is to capture the echo of the derogatory connotation while giving pride of place to the affectionate intent, if that's what was going on. Perhaps Rui Martins's suggestion of "Big momma" is the way to go...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 9:28:34

zata

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to machopicasso

The verse in question, “She’s my girlfriend, my woman, my lover, my friend, my little girl, my teacher…she’s not my mother”, is incompatible with “Big Momma” (which also sounds a little comical in my opinion). Translation cannot be taken out of context.

Furthermore, don’t confuse a shared language with shared cultural customs. In Spain we do not eat spicy food or wear big hats with pom-poms. I can’t speak for Latin America, but in Spain, derogatory nicknames are a cultural tradition among the lower classes. For this reason an overweight woman will not protest being called “gordita”, although she would surely prefer something nicer.

Times change. I just translated a Paco de Lucía interview from 1986 <http://www.deflamenco.com/revista/entrevistas/paco-de-lucia-interviewed-in-1986-1.html> in which he says some very demeaning things about women I’m sure he wouldn’t want to repeat now. In a few years Spanish men will no longer call their wives “my woman” or “gordita”.

It’s not the translator’s job to second-guess, forgive or cover up. “Fatty” was deemed kinder than “fatso”, and given the circumstances, is the best translation. Others can decide whether there is any ill intent.

Footnote: I have an obese friend who is a cantaor, and he has an unwieldy first name that doesn’t lend itself to any obvious nickname. When I once asked what to call him he said “my friends just call me ‘Gordo’” (Fats). There was a faint smile, but he looked so ashamed I wished I’d never asked.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 10:27:00

Escribano

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

The most common word in a kitchen with a lot of Mexicans is "way" (sounds like that, at least), which seems to be used something like "dummy" or "chump".

It's güey (pronounced "way") and is used as in "some dude [güey]" or "I am such an idiot [güey]".

It derives from buey (an ox).

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 11:30:41

Miguel de Maria

RE: Manuel Molina (in reply to Escribano

Thanks, Simon, I used to know how to spell it. :) I heard one of our piano movers, who was Columbian, explaining to his gringo partner that it was buey, ox, but it didn't seem to make sense with how I've heard it and the way the guys would use it. I used to love learning the slang, because it contrasted to much with the antiseptic "Hola, Juan! Me llamo Mike!" stuff from school.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 14:22:52

Ricardo

quote:

In a few years Spanish men will no longer call their wives “my woman” or “gordita”.

Few years huh?

www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 15:32:30

Grisha

I think "gordo" and "gorda" is said to overweight and thin alike. I wouldn't have a problem with it. But there are sensitive people that would be hurt.

Paco came to Russia that same year, and when asked the same question about women guitarists, said that yes, there are good flamenco players out there. Something like that.

As for Paco de Rusia from the interview, he was hardly a beginner. He had a formidable technique and lots of charisma. I am glad I met him before he passed away.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 30 2013 15:43:05
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post