Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Cordoba or Jose Ramirez   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Markus3

Cordoba or Jose Ramirez 

Hello everyone, just wanted to know about these two production guitar makers. I am beginning classical and flamenco guitar lessons and do not know what brand name guitars to get. I have tried higher end Cordobas Espana series and look and sound very nice but however Jose Ramirez also has real nice instruments and i believe they have been making guitars since 1882. So i just wanted to know which one of these guitar brands is best for the money when it comes to beginning Flamenco and Classical. I am looking to spend somewhere between 1000-1600 for each instrument. Thank you all
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 1:12:19

Ramon Amira

RE: Cordoba or Jose Ramirez (in reply to Markus3

You can’t just compare “Cordoba” to “Ramirez.” Both companies make many different models, so you have to compare a specific model of one to a specific model of the other.

In the price range you cite, for classical the Cordoba Solista would be your best bet. All solid wood, cedar or spruce top. A comparable Ramirez model would be the 2NE for cedar, or the 3N AE for spruce, both the same price.

These are fine guitars, and you could keep them for a very long time.

One other option to consider since you will be studying both classical and flamenco, is to not get two different guitars, but rather get a negra flamenco guitar. This is a traditional flamenco guitar, but with rosewood back and sides instead of cypress.

A negra is perfectly suitable for learning and playing classical as well as flamenco. If you go that way I would highly recommend the Cordoba Carmen Negra. It’s just slightly over your price range, but that won’t matter if you’re getting only one guitar instead of two.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 12:47:26

BarkellWH

RE: Cordoba or Jose Ramirez (in reply to Ramon Amira

Ramon, although I have no personal stake in this discussion, a question occurs to me regarding getting just one guitar, a flamenca negra, to use for both flamenco and classical. Assuming it would be set-up with low-action for flamenco, wouldn't that present a problem in playing classical later when he decides he has learned enough to get a classical guitar with its higher action, after having learned everything on a low action flamenco?

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 14:04:13

Leñador

I own and play on a flamenco with really low action and when I do play people's classicals it is a definite difference but I think one could adjust to it after a week or so.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 16:47:58

FlamencoD

Another guitar to consider in that price range is a Francisco Navarro Concert Flamenco. For under $1000 his son makes a student version that gets great reviews, too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 16:50:45

Sean

Doesn't have to be a Negra, Cypress makes for a nice Classical.
Why shoot for two disappointing guitars?
You can just get a Navarro "Reyes" and play both styles on it easily enough; then when you get bored of Classical, you won't have two guitars to get rid of.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 18:00:48

Markus3

RE: Cordoba or Jose Ramirez (in reply to Ramon Amira

I was thinking the same, instead of two guitars get one which is a Negra. I will look up the Cordoba Carmen Negra and see where i can try it out. Thanks a alot, good advice!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2013 10:06:46

Markus3

RE: Cordoba or Jose Ramirez (in reply to FlamencoD

I have heard of him, he is a luthier form mexico right? most of his guitars i believe where made out of Palo escrito or paracho wood. I have heard how some of his guitars sound and they are very nice. Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2013 10:10:10

Markus3

I checked out the Carmen negra on the cordoba website and i must say it sounds awesome. I never heard of this cordoba before, i was a very close to getting a cordoba solista with the cypress back and sides but i will reconsider with this one instead.
check out the vid, oh and my the way strange quincidence my guitar teacher is in this vid-on the far left with the GK Pro Joe Lopicollo from Mt san antonio college California. Thanks you guys for all the good advice if you guys have any more guitars in mind please let me know as i am planning a trip to GSI guitars in Santa Monica very soon so keep me updated. Thanks
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2013 11:02:24

Ramon Amira

RE: Cordoba or Jose Ramirez (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

wouldn't that present a problem in playing classical later when he decides he has learned enough to get a classical guitar with its higher action, after having learned everything on a low action flamenco?

No.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2013 14:11:38

Leñador

quote:

then when you get bored of Classical, you won't have two guitars to get rid of.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2013 14:48:19

Markus3

What would be a good top on a guitar for Classical and flamenco? Spruce or Cedar? is there a difference in sound because from what i heard the top of a guitar contributes to a large part of the instrument's sound, is this true?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2013 4:44:50

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Markus3

What would be a good top on a guitar for Classical and flamenco? Spruce or Cedar? is there a difference in sound because from what i heard the top of a guitar contributes to a large part of the instrument's sound, is this true?

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=195959&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=spruce%2Ccedar&tmode=&smode=&s=#195959

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 26 2013 5:48:47

RibNibbler

RE: Cordoba or Jose Ramirez (in reply to Ricardo

Orange tops without overtones are best for flamenco. Everyone knows that.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 27 2013 1:49:47

keith

Markus3--for the price range you mention and for learning classical AND flamenco i think the Cordoba Solista might be your best bet. The Ramirez FL-1 and FL-2 go for well over $2K whereas the Solista can be found for around $1.5K and often for less. The FL-2 probably would not do that well with classical pieces. Getting a Ramirez classical will likely result in a good classical guitar but will not be so good at flamenco--it is the "Ramirez" sound which might conflict with flamenco. The Cordobas are passable for flamenco but are not known as one of the better student flamencos. The Solista might work in your favor if you are learning flamenco and classical and have only one guitar--it may do both things well enough to be the best option.

If you decide to go with two guitars then going with a Navarro student flamenco and Cordoba 55 or 75 classical might be a good option given your price range.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 28 2013 18:24:49

Markus3

Hello guys,

I ended up buying a Hermanos Camps, Primera Negra. To be quite honest i have never played anything like it, the feel, the finish, the sound and the overall construction awesome. I tried the Jose Ramirez FL2 and it was a close call but the Hermanos Camps was way better in terms of feel and playability, the action on it was super low and no buzz. Maybe just a little but its the flamenco buzz.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2013 7:57:25

FlamencoD

Pics!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2013 18:07:37

gemelo

Good choice! I tried the Camps Primera Negra a couple of years ago in Spain. In my opinion it was the best value (quality-price) of all guitars I tried.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 21 2013 18:29:15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post