Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: I'm leaving the off topics section   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

BarkellWH

RE: I'm leaving the off topics section (in reply to XXX

quote:

The logic behind "nukes saving lives" is that it saves the lives in the country where it lands.

...as in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, in which 200,000 lives were lost, and which ended the war. As opposed to the estimated one million lives, both Japanese and American, that would have been lost had Japan not capitulated and an invasion been necessary. One million vs. 200,000. Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me in terms of lives saved.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 21:11:35

estebanana

RE: I'm leaving the off topics section (in reply to XXX

quote:

Why would North Korea want to save lives in South Korea?

Because the rhetoric is that North Korea wants to reeducate and "help" South Korea by bringing it into fold of righteousness that North Korea embodies.

North Korea does not want to kill South Korea it want to correct it. I say fine by me as long as the South Koreans dig the plan.

Deniz, I note a real serious lack of Kim Chee in your diet.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 21:12:58

FredGuitarraOle

RE: I'm leaving the off topics section (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

One million vs. 200,000. Seems like a pretty good trade-off to me in terms of lives saved.

Bill, I see your point. But would you have the same opinion if, in a hypothetical situation, those were 200,000 american lives?

Serious question guys, I would like to hear your opinions on this.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 21:35:20

BarkellWH

RE: I'm leaving the off topics section (in reply to FredGuitarraOle

quote:

But would you have the same opinion if, in a hypothetical situation, those were 200,000 american lives?

I realize your question is hypothetical, but it has no framework or context. In the case of Japan, this was a country that had attacked the United States and with which we had been in a bitter war for more than three and one-half years. the Japanese had shown they were ready to sacrifice everything in bitter resistance, with many thousands of lives lost on both sides, in the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. It was just a taste of what an invasion of the Japanese home islands would have been like.

Within the context of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, it makes no sense to ask about killing 200,000 Americans with atom bombs. You would have to provide context. In your hypothetical context, what would necessitate the United States killing 200,000 Americans with an atom bomb? Off hand, I can think of no conceivable situation in which the US would kill 200,000 Americans with an atom bomb in order to save a million.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 22:13:09

Sean

1945? I'm sorry but Japan was already beaten, as in no air force, and no navy whatsoever.
As bad as dropping the bomb was, I sadly have to agree it was the right thing to do at the time.
When you get in a fight, and the guy gives up, do you end it right away? Hell no, he will probably think you barely beat him, and may think of taking another shot at you sometime in the future. Now if a guy says he gives up, and you say no, and pummel him some more, you can be sure he won't F with you again. This is exactly what the US did with Japan, and it probably did save a lot of lives avoiding future conflicts. Ya I know this is not politically correct nowadays, but it is a fact of human behaviour, as ugly as it is. Life is not always pretty.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 22:22:28

estebanana

There's a locked thread on that topic, I think that may have been covered. There are also books which speculate on all hypothetical angles of the dropping of the atomic bomb.

These political threads are interesting and often stimulating fun, but when people start talking about killing and blaming that is too far for this music based website in my opinion. It would be nice if we could stay out of the weeds because that just gets everyone too angry.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 22:27:39

brandoscostumes

an immediate decisive end to the war is the best thing that could have happened to japan, certainly better than the alternative of being slowly starved by the blockade or an suffering opportunistic soviet invasion. thanks to the occupation and american-written constitution it became a peaceful democracy
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 22:30:39

Escribano

RE: I'm leaving the off topics section (in reply to estebanana

Agree with Stephen, we've been here before and it wasn't pretty. This thread has run its course.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 22:43:37
Page:   <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: <<   <   1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote