Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: classical and flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

n85ae

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to Sr. Martins

How can you tell the one is a Classical guitar in this video? You might be right, but
I'm curious ... I can't from the video tell whether it's a Flamenco Negra, Classical,
or some kind of Hybrid ..?

Jeff

quote:

But for sure bridge details make a huge impact on the playing and the resultant "flamenco" sound. I love this comparison. Same player on a classical guitar with a tap plate, vs a proper flamenco. Couple of the same falsetas to compare:
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 18:49:42

Leñador

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to Miguel de Maria

quote:

Why is that a classical guitar?

I'm guessing it's got a cedar top with rosewood back and sides and looks like it MAY be a bit deeper in the body.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 18:52:13

Sr. Martins

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to Leñador

quote:

I'm guessing it's got a cedar top with rosewood back and sides and looks like it MAY be a bit deeper in the body.

That doesnt seem enough to make conclusions. It might be the player but it doesnt sound classical to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 19:05:37

Miguel de Maria

not orange enough?

It is remarkable how different the two clips sound.

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 19:06:41

Sr. Martins

quote:

It is remarkable how different the two clips sound.

The only common link in the recording chain is the player, I dont know what you're trying to compare here.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 19:25:07

Leñador

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to n85ae

quote:

That doesnt seem enough to make conclusions.

GENERALLY, you might find a flamenco with a cedar top and cypress and sides or a Spruce top with rosewood back and sides but I can't recall anything other then classicals being Cedar top with Rosewood back and sides.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 19:31:35

Sr. Martins

I was looking for the "here's the proof that it is a classical and built as one" and not the general feeling that people might get.

To me it is a spanish guitar that when played by this flamenco guitarist, the guitar also sounds flamenco. In the end, the sum of the parts would lead me to conclude it is a flamenco guitar.. and thats why Iam asking for proof.

I can see the colors but I dont think that it makes a guitar classical or flamenco. Nor the cedar or the spruce.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 19:49:54

Miguel de Maria

Well, that's simple, we just have to ask Tomatito to sit in the same studio with both of those guitars and play them both, one after another...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 20:52:41

FredGuitarraOle

quote:

Well, that's simple, we just have to ask Tomatito to sit in the same studio with both of those guitars and play them both, one after another...

No problem, I'll give him a call. I'll ask him if Mari Angeles can come too.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 21:02:51

Sr. Martins

I "see"... you're all just guessing that it is classical by its looks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 21:16:01

Miguel de Maria

I think Ricardo is the one who made that assertion. I don't know if he has personal knowledge of those guitars, but perhaps he does.

There is also the meme or idea that some guitarists would use classical guitars with tap-plates as their main axes, for example Manolo Sanlucar and his Ramirez.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 21:42:51

estebanana

I usually think about this topic backwards. I don't worry abut flamenco guitars sounding classical, I think about classical guitars sounding flamenco.

I never like hearing a Spanish piece in the classical rep played on a guitar that does honky souless rasgueado. I like classical guitars that can rip rasgueados.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 11 2013 23:48:33

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Anders, would you say there is more variation within a class, or between classes?

I dont understand your question

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 7:29:23

Anders Eliasson

quote:

quote:

That doesnt seem enough to make conclusions.

GENERALLY, you might find a flamenco with a cedar top and cypress and sides or a Spruce top with rosewood back and sides but I can't recall anything other then classicals being Cedar top with Rosewood back and sides.

In last 7 - 8 years, here in Spain, cedartop flamenca negras have been quite popular amongst pro players.

You make some cedar generalizations which have absolutely nothing to do with reality.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 7:32:38

Miguel de Maria

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Anders, what I mean is, often generalizations are made about negras, or blancas, or classicals. Yet some negras might sound very different than other negras; and there is a range of sounds that a blanca might make. Would say there is a good amount of overlap, that is, some negras sound the same as some blancas, and some classicals sound the same as some negras--or are the classes rather distinct (ie, negras do not sound like blancas at all).

Complicated question to write! I guess it would be easier to use some Venn Diagrams with the names of each, and to see if they overlap or do they exist in space all alone? :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 14:22:05

Blondie#2

quote:

There is also the meme or idea that some guitarists would use classical guitars with tap-plates as their main axes, for example Manolo Sanlucar and his Ramirez.

Hi Mike
I've heard this before - I think it was Paul Magnussen (member here and Flamenco columnist in Classical Guitar magazine) when reviewing Carlos Saura's 'Flamenco' film he made a point about Manolo getting a great flamenco tone from his classical guitar. I assumed it was a negra, but Paul is not one to guess.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 14:41:26

Anders Eliasson

Miguel, all this with sound, I dont find to be so very interesting.

What matters for me is the the way the different guitars work and react with the player, and yes, then there are diferences. And they can be big
You can take a bright sounding blanca with body in its tone and a bright sounding classical with body in its tone and you´ll notice that the two creatures react totally different to the input you produce even if they have the same strings on.

And if you take a small light oldschool blanca and compare it to a big body lattice or doubletop classical, then the difference in feel of the guitars is very big.

Flamenco and classical guitarists have very different tonal ideas and esthetics and its the job of the builder to find what works with them. The feel is everything. Try to make Paco machinegun picado or rasgueados one one of these big classicals. Not only do they sound wrong, but the reaction of the guitar, the input that you, the player gets, feels so wrong in a flamenco point of view that you´ll understand that your mission (to produce Paco machinegun picado or rasgueados) will never be a succes.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 15:49:40

Alain Moisan

Hi all,

Although I'm a new comer here, I will try adding in my 2 cents to this somewhat delicate question.

Richard Bruné said, in a GAL convention in 2006, that for him, what defines a Flamenco guitar is whatever a flamenco player uses to play flamenco. Of course, that is far from meaning that any classical guitar can be used to play flamenco. It just means that it is quite difficult to clearly establish what is a critical aspect that would define a flamenco guitar.

As an example, here is one of my customer palying a flamenco(ish) piece with a classical guitar. (Trust me, it' is a classical, I made it...)

This piece might sound even more flamenco on an actual flamenco guitar, but it's hard to say that the fact he uses a classical 'hurts' the piece.

That said, if there is one specific aspect I would have to point out to define a flamenco guitar, it would most certainly be the height of the strings at the bridge. Strings at 6 to 8 mm high will make the entire instrument, almost regardless of all other aspects, naturally drive a percussive sound, while a 10 to 12 mm height will make it more difficult, hense it will need a 'personnal touch' of the player to get it right.

That's my take on it. But take this for what it's worth. Food for thoughts, that's all...

Alain Moisan
Les Guitares Moisan
www.guitaresmoisan.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 16:58:08

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: n85ae

How can you tell the one is a Classical guitar in this video? You might be right, but
I'm curious ... I can't from the video tell whether it's a Flamenco Negra, Classical,
or some kind of Hybrid ..?

Jeff

quote:

But for sure bridge details make a huge impact on the playing and the resultant "flamenco" sound. I love this comparison. Same player on a classical guitar with a tap plate, vs a proper flamenco. Couple of the same falsetas to compare:

That is a Ramirez III 1A, probably from 70's or early 80's. They all look the same pretty much, its a singular design. Ramirez has an interesting book where he basically admits he has not changed and can do very little with his flamenco model as modifications are not accepted. Only think was either pegs or machines spruce or cedar, with spruce often preferred. I dont' think he even makes a "negra" he just will take 1A CLASSICAL and lower the bridge saddle or perhaps change the bridge or neck set up to allow for a lower bridge. Tap plate stuck on, that's it. As the poster said above 10 or above is classical bridge, 8 or below is flamenco...IDEALLY. I have played flamencos that work fine with 10 or higher because the action over fingerboard is still low enough to 'snap". It hurts the skin around the nails a bit but can still work for flamenco. Manolo Sanlucar's guitar is extremely buzzy and leads me to think they only lowered the saddle and stuck on a tap plate. Trust me, I used to own one. Seeing tomatito with that thing really surprised me, Makes me want to go back in time and give my old guitar a second chance, cuz at the time I traded it I couldn't stand the thing.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 18:09:48

estebanana

Yahoo News

AP Mongolia

Scientists in the capital city of Ulan Bator Mongolia have been conducting research with guitars for seven years in a controlled experiment utilizing a classical vs. flamenco pissing contest model. Although the study has not been completely concluded, researchers are releasing preliminary results. Barring input from other types of music and musical styles or musicians who play other than classical or flamenco, evidence points to the proving of the hypothesis that guitars basically and often do sound like guitars.

Mongolian researchers believe the controversy will rage on and probably never be resolved, but that at least in Mongolia they will have saved the country and given them a respite from the outside worlds obsession with this enormous problem. Lead scientist Chaka Ananda Khan says her team became bored with experiment about three months into it, but doggedly raced forward to answer this question to put it to rest for all Mongolians, adding: "We suspected as much from the beginning, but you can't be too careful."

The scientists will celebrate the seventh anniversary of the experiment next Wednesday with a dinner at MongolianBQQ Chalet in downtown Ulan Bator.

AP Staff

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 19:39:01

BarkellWH

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to estebanana

quote:

Scientists in the capital city of Ulan Bator Mongolia have been conducting research with guitars for seven years in a controlled experiment utilizing a classical vs. flamenco pissing contest model. Although the study has not been completely concluded, researchers are releasing preliminary results. Barring input from other types of music and musical styles or musicians who play other than classical or flamenco, evidence points to the proving of the hypothesis that guitars basically and often do sound like guitars.

Publication of the above-cited research in a technical guitar journal has been withheld, however, pending completion of an investigation being conducted out of Almaty, Kazakhstan. Kazakh investigators have uncovered strong evidence indicating that the researchers in Ulan Bator had conflicts of interest, and that they manipulated data to reach their conclusion that guitars often do sound like guitars. It appears that funding for their research came from the ever-ubiquitous guitar lobby, and that they were paid to confirm the hypothesis that guitars basically sound like guitars.

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 20:12:00

estebanana

RE: classical and flamenco (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

Publication of the above-cited research in a technical guitar journal has been withheld, however, pending completion of an investigation being conducted out of Almaty, Kazakhstan. Kazakh investigators have uncovered strong evidence indicating that the researchers in Ulan Bator had conflicts of interest,

Oh yes the Kazahk experiments, principal investigator Sacha Baron Cohen has declined to speak at several international science conferences on the research casting doubts that National Labs of Kazakhstan have been using proper control modeling in the spectral analysis of the chrystalography renderings of Hellholtz profiles.

In some scientific circles this has even been jokingly called the Borat Effect, but still you may have a point Bill. You can't bee too careful. We will just have to wait for more peer reviewed journals to publish and then keep comparing research. Many experts postulate this issue, like the common cold or the silence of the Sphinx may never be solved, or even elucidated upon beyond what our human earworms can understand.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 20:35:27

Leñador

quote:

You make some cedar generalizations which have absolutely nothing to do with reality.

C'mon Anders, just go with me here, why you gotta fight it jk

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 21:11:18

Anders Eliasson

I´m not fighting anything. I was just saying that you were writing nonsense.

Another thing is that I find the foro to be a fun place these days, so my replies might be on the dry side. But thats what there is.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 8:00:45

BarkellWH

quote:

Many experts postulate this issue, like the common cold or the silence of the Sphinx may never be solved,

One can only hope that the Kazakh investigators are able to maintain a chain of custody to protect the data that is said to have been suppressed by the Ulan Bator researchers. Rumor has it that the suppressed evidence demonstrates conclusively that guitars occasionally sound like woodwinds. If so, this would blow the lid off a hoax perpetrated by a mysterious organization that has insinuated itself into every aspect of our lives. Oliver Stone is said to be vying for the film rights.

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 9:46:45

Leñador

quote:

I´m not fighting anything. I was just saying that you were writing nonsense.

"Absolutely" and "nonsense" feel a bit extreme, I'm absolutely sure you're right that young players are starting to play with cedar negras but I'm not basing my info on "absolutely nothing". I look at a lot of guitar porn and I've just noticed this to be GENERALLY what I've seen.

For example:

http://www.guitarsalon.com/c3-flamenco.html
Not a single cedar top in the bunch

http://www.guitarsalon.com/c2-classical.html
Many cedar tops

Again, you ARE right I'm sure but I was making a generalization not a rule.

EDIT: Found a Cedar in there, egg on my face Still......generalization........

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 16:07:44

estebanana

Cedar is a trend that comes and goes, recycled for debate over and over in the minds of players. It cycles in and out of popularity. If you've looked at this debate over the course of many, many years you see this pattern.

There is really no debate, there are only guitars and they all sound pretty much like guitars. The only reason people talk about it is to sell guitars or because some players are too insecure to grab a cedar guitar and play it.

Spruce guitars sound like guitars, and then again Cedar guitars sound pretty much like guitars. I remember these same conversations when I started playing in the 1970's. Same BS different decade. Boring conversation.

Nothing new under the sun.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 16:28:57

Leñador

F 'em both! I want my doug fir blanca!

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 16:32:28

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Cedar is a trend that comes and goes, recycled for debate over and over in the minds of players. It cycles in and out of popularity. If you've looked at this debate over the course of many, many years you see this pattern.

There is really no debate, there are only guitars and they all sound pretty much like guitars. The only reason people talk about it is to sell guitars or because some players are too insecure to grab a cedar guitar and play it.

Spruce guitars sound like guitars, and then again Cedar guitars sound pretty much like guitars. I remember these same conversations when I started playing in the 1970's. Same BS different decade. Boring conversation.

Nothing new under the sun.

There is a reason that the prejudice develop. I can only speak for myself, I had a negative experience with my cedar top. I didn't know the reasons totally, and my technique not yet that developed although i could play fast with a pick. I just know something I didn't like about this Ramirez 1A. My teacher (classical player) on the other hand really liked my guitar. I was already starting to play flamenco. He had a spruce top and sold it and bought a Brune cedar top. He talked extensively about the differences the top makes, and he much preferred the cedar. So based on that guitar and my own, and comparing to other guitars then and a little later on, I started to blame the negative aspects my ear was experiencing on the cedar top, admitting of course it was personal taste. I assume other players went through similar things hence the perpetuated prejudice. Of course these are generalizations that can be totally played against if the right combo comes together (which is infact what happens to the minority that point out cedar is just great for flamenco etc). I agree it was totally wrong of me to blame the wood, but in the end I am still quite happy with my spruce top guitars. I just wish I had a chance, after a long time, to check out my old guitar again and see if it really was just me or the guitar, simply because that tomatito vid was so inspiring.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 19:19:03

estebanana

quote:

There is a reason that the prejudice develop. I can only speak for myself, I had a negative experience with my cedar top. I didn't know the reasons totally, and my technique not yet that developed although i could play fast with a pick. I just know something I didn't like about this Ramirez 1A. My teacher (classical player) on the other hand really liked my guitar. I was already starting to play flamenco. He had a spruce top and sold it and bought a Brune cedar top. He talked extensively about the differences the top makes, and he much preferred the cedar. So based on that guitar and my own, and comparing to other guitars then and a little later on, I started to blame the negative aspects my ear was experiencing on the cedar top, admitting of course it was personal taste. I assume other players went through similar things hence the perpetuated prejudice. Of course these are generalizations that can be totally played against if the right combo comes together (which is infact what happens to the minority that point out cedar is just great for flamenco etc). I agree it was totally wrong of me to blame the wood, but in the end I am still quite happy with my spruce top guitars. I just wish I had a chance, after a long time, to check out my old guitar again and see if it really was just me or the guitar, simply because that tomatito vid was so inspiring.

You really need to get out more often.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 19:59:03
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll