Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

pegheds   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

bandurria

pegheds 

I have them on my two flamenco guitars and like them a lot. The have the flamenco look as if they were wood but are better (imo) than the wood pegs. Pegheds advantages, their inside mechanism makes tuning easier because you can "micro" turn the peg if you need to, where as the wood pegs gives you a greater challenge to achieve it. Pegheds won't get affected by environment conditions, e.g. humidity, temperature, other, where as wood pegs do causing your guitar to get out of tune. What do you have to say on this subject?

Friendly regards.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2013 23:52:07

Morante

RE: pegheds (in reply to bandurria

Are u selling them??? I have never had any problems with traditional pegs: I prefer them to machines.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 3 2013 23:57:36

keith

i have owned guitars with pegs, machines and now with pegettes (as in pegs with training wheels). the phrase, peghead, should be reserved for those who prefer real pegs--as in, "i am a peghead and those who like the grateful dead are deadheads". that said, i must say the peg-ettes do work well. i think if a luthier is hell bent on machines peg-ettes are a better alternative --they are machines but present well. however, i prefer real pegs.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 4 2013 12:08:20

estebanana

As much as I like the Pegheds with the 4:1 gear ratio I'm not satisfied with some of the aesthetics.

People ask me to put them on guitars, and I've been installing them right from the beginning when they were first manufactured. That said I think it's a fine product, but I prefer wood pegs. If I were to make guitar for myself I would use high quality viola pegs. And in the future on guitars I build I will ask customers to go with wood pegs over Pegheds if possible. I prefer pegs I make myself or good viola pegs well fit.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 4:52:34

britguy

quote:

. What do you have to say on this subject?

I think there may be more than one type of 'peg head' geared pegs out there. And some may work and look; better than others . . .

I had trouble with tuning, etc. on one of my wood peg guitars, and after a bit of researching, got a set of "Pegheds" from Charles Herin in South Carolna, who developed them for violins and violas.

I had them professionally installed, and the results were outstanding. Like night and day! Easy to tune, easy to keep in tune, easy to change strings, and aesthetically pleasing.

After two years of use I have no complaints, and would use them again if necessary.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 5 2013 13:12:19

ralexander

I have them on my new Faulk blanca (I'll post about this soon), and I'm enjoying them now that I've gotten the hang of them. I did not realize at first that you had to apply a bit of pressure to keep them from slipping, which was quite a surprise and frustration when I tried tuning the guitar for the first time.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2013 15:06:01

gerundino63

I have them on my Anders Panama Negra.
Very nice! Had a long time normal Peggs on a Bellido. Even got some thumb trouble from it.
Now I am very happy with the geared peggs.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 7 2013 15:56:26

RobJe

There are some badly made real pegheads out there that give them a bad name. I have had 3 - all working well. The best was made by Manuel Bellido - nice thin pegs for sensitivity and accurate tuning.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 8 2013 20:04:51

Anders Eliasson

RE: pegheds (in reply to gerundino63

quote:

Even got some thumb trouble from it.

That sounds like a troublesome wooden peg guitar..
Wooden pegs can be working well, but the builder must know how to do a good job, and helps a lot if the owner takes the time to find out how to keep them working well.

I like the machine pegs from pegheds.com I even have a set on my violin now
But there´s something about a blanca with a well kept set of wooden pegs. Its like a well adjusted old British motorbike. "the real thing"

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 9:06:45

RTC

RE: pegheds (in reply to Anders Eliasson

It think you meant to say "old Harley"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 9 2013 23:50:37

Anders Eliasson

No, I meant British motorbike like Triumph, BSA etc. Harleys dont interest me. To big, heavy and prepotential.
It could be an old Ducati Desmo as well

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 15:34:35

Morante

Hey, I used to race a Velocette Thruxton! That was a bike: used to do the circuit studies on a Triumph Bonneville. Would love to have a Ducati, but too late now
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 12 2013 16:32:43

Anders Eliasson

To late for what? and when is it to late.

I´m sure you understand why I compare a lightweight flamenca blanca with wooden pegs to a British motorbike.
I would love to try a Thruxton. Jus for one loap on the isle of Man.
I´ve had a Triumph Tiger and I´ve tried very shortly a real Gold Star. Oh, that was nice. Very nifty and brutal at the same time. A dream on a small complicated backroad.

With all the respect of Harleys, which do what they do very well. (park in front of a café ) But they are like tractors compared to bikes like the one Morante describe.

Personally, I would like an old 350 one cylinder Ducati Desmo. Small, very light with very good roadhandling. A Harley can maybe outrun it on a motorhighway, but on a curvy backroad, the little Desmo is a LOT more fun and faster. Besides, who likes driving mortorbikes on motorhighways.

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 7:49:51

estebanana

Harley's are overrated. There a saying from Texas I alway think about when I see Harley riders: 'All hat and no cattle'

The most pretentious and dilletante of all motor cycles, the Harley.

I hope you realize that me being in Oakland I can get killed for speaking against the Harley. This is the territory of Arlen Ness and the Hells Angels, still I give the Harley the middle finger.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 13 2013 17:00:15

Anders Eliasson

Dont worry, soon you´ll be in Yamasuki land.

Decades ago I went to the yearly Hells Angels festival in Denmark and watched their show.
There was a competition where the goal was to throw a Honda 750 motorcycle engine the furthest possible.
Really lame.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2013 12:45:19

keith

in my observation it would take a very strong person to even pick up a harley biker/owner. and those mufflers, or lack thereof, are a royal pain in the ears.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 14 2013 13:08:46

estebanana

Well, well I have to eat some crow on what I said previously on the Peghed design.

I had a stock of the older models which I had bought before Chuck Herrin redesigned some features that have to do with installation.

I talked to him today and he updated me on things I had not known about and design changes that I really like. So I put in a new order for more Pegheds and I'm sure in the future I'll be ordering more.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 21 2013 21:18:05

ralexander

RE: pegheds (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I had a stock of the older models which I had bought before Chuck Herrin redesigned some features that have to do with installation.

Are the newer ones only different in regards to installation, or are they functionally different in some way? Mine seem to be working fine.

Ryan
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 22 2013 12:28:44

britguy

quote:

would love to try a Thruxton. Jus for one loap on the isle of Man.

My Dad had a 350 Velocette ( I think it was called a KTT(?) ) He also rode around the Isle of Man TT course a few times, in the early 1930's.

Our earliest family vehicle conveyance was a cream coloured Ariel Square Four, with matching sidecar, for me and my sister.

Another age. . .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 16:22:00

Richard Jernigan

RE: pegheds (in reply to britguy

I knew a guy here in Austin who had a Square Four and another who had the big 1000cc Vincent Black Shadow. What beasts.

Myself, a Honda 450, a BSA Super Rocket 650 twin, a Harley Sportster, and briefly, as a result of a trade, one of those ridiculously monstrous hand shift, foot clutch Harleys. Had the Sportster at the same time, got rid of the big Harley as soon as possible.

The Honda had the best handling, most reliable, least sex appeal. The BSA was super fast, handled badly, came close to killing me, but I somehow escaped with only minor injuries. Sportster was loud, rough, best for impressing girls. Big Harley was for people with a death wish.

My cousin Tommy built engines for the Bandidos. Some said the Bandidos were as bad as Hell's Angels, some said worse. Tommy wasn't a gangster, he was an artist, rode a BMW.

Too many stories to recite here....

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 17:05:14

estebanana

RE: pegheds (in reply to ralexander

quote:

Are the newer ones only different in regards to installation, or are they functionally different in some way? Mine seem to be working fine.

The newer design features a straight taper on the shaft instead of the older style taper. makes them easier to install. At least for me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 24 2013 19:29:52

britguy

RE: pegheds (in reply to estebanana

quote:

The newer design features a straight taper on the shaft instead of the older style taper. makes them easier to install.

Not sure how the 'newer' design differs from previous, but:

I got mine directly from Chuck Herin, about two years ago. At his suggestion we met for breakfast at the local Waffle House near Columbia, South Carolina. (While driving South from Canada to Florida). He is a very interesting guy. Offered to do the installation for free, but we were in a hurry to get further South. Also offered to let us stay at his house overnight.

The set I got needed a special "violin taper" reamer to install them.

I decided not to attempt it myself and took the guitar to a local luthier who proceeded to ream out one hole before deciding that he did not have the right size tool!

Not wishing to risk any more ****ups with my guitar headstock, I took it to a well-known Toronto violin luthier who charged me an arm and two legs to install them. But they have worked perfectly ever since. I like them a lot.

I tried for months with dope, chalk and stuff, to get the original wooden pegs to work smoothly, but nothing seemed to work. So I called Chuck, who is a very approachable guy. . .

Long story, but may help a little. . .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Mar. 25 2013 12:28:48
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Product Reviews >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll