Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: How does the business of selling flamenco guitars work?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to mlau

quote:

1. Stephen, I'm glad to hear that you're alive!

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2013 19:50:05

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Feb. 7 2013 21:42:01
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2013 20:10:36

kintla

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to estebanana

Well this will sound odd to some, but so far, somehow, has worked well for me, ie, ordering a guitar on consignment, and never having played a guitar from the luthiers. The first example is rather long and convoluted, and involved a near three year wait, for guitar #87. The second a much shorter wait, less than a year, from a luthier whose guitar was #24. Luthiers in general, at least the ones I have dealt with have always been fair and upfront. But I've always been willing to take a risk or two, so no doubt there are some horror stories out there. There is a lot that a person can learn about a luthier without ever having met them or their guitars, just by access to the internet. I'm at the point now where if I found a guitar that I really wanted, I probably would have to sell one to justify it. I know this doesn't answer the question posed by Britguy, really you just kind of have to take a risk sometimes, or maybe not.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 8 2013 1:08:29

mlau

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

he second a much shorter wait, less than a year, from a luthier whose guitar was #24. Luthiers in general, at least the ones I have dealt with have always been fair and upfront. But I've always been willing to take a risk or two, so no doubt there are some horror stories out there. There is a lot that a person can learn about a luthier without ever having met them or their guitars, just by access to the internet. I'm at the point now where if I found a guitar that I really wanted, I probably would have to sell one to justify it. I know this doesn't answer the question posed by Britguy, really you just kind of have to take a risk sometimes, or maybe not.

Kintla, thanks for the advice.

I will have to add that I'm not a stranger to great guitars and luthiers.
If I'm spending serious $$$$ or $$$$$ on a guitar, I'd insist on an audience with the luthier prior to commission.

As it is, I'm quasi-apprenticing under the guy I'll commission a guitar from. I'd like him to have more business.

-Matt

Ps. my guitars are far better than I warrant as a guitarist.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2013 1:59:04

mlau

Britguy:

For classicals:
1. Usually, buyers will go to a trusted broker (Bob at Guitar Solo, Armin, etc).
2. Otherwise, they choose what the guitar instructor chooses.
3. Lastly, some fly to the shop to try it. There was a kid from Colorado that flew to SF to try a 2003 Byers.

Tom:
1. Good to head from you! I have your Reyes plan. Would you recommend it for a first negra? Any special tips? The MIMFers have also recommended the Santos Hernandez plans as well.
2. My maestro (the guy I'm looking into the business stuff for) is actually very, very well regarded in the classical world. Jorge Caballero plays his guitars (I hope that I didn't give away his identity).

I've been learning a lot of business stuff myself.
If he doesn't want my advice, I may try marketing my own work!
However, I'm stubbornly committed to staying a hobbyist guitar builder.
Also, I'd hate to overshadow my maestro. :p
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2013 2:08:27

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlau

Tom:
1. Good to head from you! I have your Reyes plan. Would you recommend it for a first negra? Any special tips? The MIMFers have also recommended the Santos Hernandez plans as well.
2. My maestro (the guy I'm looking into the business stuff for) is actually very, very well regarded in the classical world. Jorge Caballero plays his guitars (I hope that I didn't give away his identity).

I've been learning a lot of business stuff myself.

If he doesn't want my advice, I may try marketing my own work!
However, I'm stubbornly committed to staying a hobbyist guitar builder.
Also, I'd hate to overshadow my maestro. :p

There is no reason you can't mention your friend's name if you wish to.

And the Reyes plan is good for any builder who would like to try it. Just pay close attention to the fan brace shapes, sizes, and tapers.

The top can be about 2 to 2.1 mm even thickness with a slight taper around the outside edges in the lower bout, if preferred.

And the playing scale is marked in blue line but with the bridge moved back about 1 mm, as it will pull forward about 1 mm under string tension. Actually, I glue the bridge exactly where it is marked on the plan and then glue the finger-board to compensate.

And I built the top flat with a little rounding in back of the bridge, side to side, not up and down the top.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 10 2013 3:14:34
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote