Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

How does the business of selling flamenco guitars work?   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

mlau

How does the business of selling fla... 

How does this whole crazy business work?

I see some guitars sold from $$$$$, which aren't very good.
There are other guitars which are very good (like Stephen's), but are only $$$$.

-Matt

Note, I'm not interested in getting in the business. I'm purely an amateur and content to stay a hobbyist.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 2:32:06

constructordeguitarras

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to mlau

Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant consumers of flamenco guitars out there and we're here to remedy this situation. Also unfortunately, most people buy guitars based on looks.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 2:53:00

estebanana

quote:

Hi Matthew,

You just started WWIII, get some pop corn, sit back & watch the show.

Be glad you are a dentist. BTW the guy you referred me to in Chinatown did a wonderful job with the third molar I needed to have removed. He was so fast. Geeze I'm glad I did not have it done at the dental school, it would have taken 6 hours. The guy you gave me did it in about 7 minutes and it did not hurt at all. The office staff was really nice too.

I have to go back at some point to get a cleaning and some fillings, maybe a root canal....oi vey.

The whole crazy business is really crazy. And there is no dental insurance offered to you by by the company, unless you buy it fir yourself. Or trade a guitar to a dentist who likes guitars.

I recuse myself from further comment as a dentistry patient.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 5:04:30

Anders Eliasson

quote:

It works the same as the rest of the world and is equally crazy. You could also ask (in the off topic section) Why are some people so rich and some so poor. The difference is really so big that it makes the difference in guitar prices insignificant.
You could also ask: Why do dentists get payed so well and luthiers get payed so bad?

You´ll get the same answer everywhere

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 7:51:49

Andy Culpepper

Basically it works like this: you decide Stephen's guitar is better than xxxx, so you buy it.
Joe Schmoe has never heard of Stephen, BUT PACO PLAYED AN XXXX, I CAN HAZ PACOS GUITAR!

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 13:46:35

aarongreen

Calling it a business is really a stretch. Here's the various scenarios that play out in this err "business".

1) you like, you buy, for whatever reason, for whatever price

2) You like, but can not buy, for whatever reason, for whatever price . This is grossly unfair and the universe and everyone in it needs to make it better for you.

3) You don't know anything but got lots of money, you buy regardless of reason or price. You are very popular among those who's reputation has been built by those you respect.

4) You play lots of guitars, you find the one that speaks to you, you buy it and count yourself lucky to have found the one. The price you pay is small compared to the years of joy you experience, all is right in the world and you are a happy camper.

As a builder,

1) You build, you try to do your best, you hope for customer #1 or #4. If you are in a position to deal with customer #3 then you accept that you will have to take crap from customer #2.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 14:10:30

clevblue

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to aarongreen

Sums it up perfectly I reckon
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 15:55:24

TANúñez

I'm getting out of this business and going into dentistry.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 16:01:20

estebanana

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

I'm getting out of this business and going into dentistry.

I'm getting into dentistry supply so I can sell you your tools and materials.

Amalgum fillings are to Brazilian Rosewood fillings what Gold Teeth are to African Blackwood.

All things being equal.

( only the luthiers will get that joke:)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 30 2013 18:34:54

RTC

Purely from a client perspective it works like this (for me):

You check out the Lutherie section of this foro every day and salivate over the great guitars this guy's make, most of the time they are price competently decide to order one then you realize you have 3 kids in college, mortgage, car payments, more taxes......well maybe next month
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 0:18:34

azamuner

I'm not in a positiion buy a guitar at the moment but I do drool over the great looking guitars I've seen here.

One day one of these babies will be mine!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 0:44:44

estebanana

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to RTC

quote:

You check out the Lutherie section of this foro every day and salivate over the great guitars this guy's make, most of the time they are price competently decide to order one then you realize you have 3 kids in college, mortgage, car payments, more taxes......well maybe next month

Yeah I think about that too. How most bright guitar players would order seven guitars just because they could of they had the money and support guitar makers. It's usually what gets me out of a bad mood about the difficulty of doing this.

You think ok if that guy there had the money he would a guitar from every one the foro fellows who make guitars. The intention is good even if the money is not available.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 0:47:03

azamuner

Not enough people realize true craftsmanship and nothing is better than a professional who pours everything they have into such work.

It's inspiring.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 0:53:13

britguy

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to aarongreen

quote:

You play lots of guitars, you find the one that speaks to you, you buy it and count yourself lucky

This would be an ideal situation for many of us. A local situation where we could actually play all the guitars we are interested in trying. (Fantasy. . .)

But - in reality - how do you decide on a builder whose guitars you never had the opportunity to play? And who may be located on the other side of the world. What criteria does one apply? Purely reputation?

Hearing and seeing someone else play a certain guitar on video is one thing, but actually playing the guitar yourself may be a quite different experience.

Do most builders have a return policy if not satisfied?

Devils Advocate questions maybe, but curious, and genuinely interested.

Fruit farmer, Ontario, Canada
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 13:08:59

gerundino63

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 31 2013 15:24:41
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 13:46:51

keith

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to britguy

britguy--i think once a luthier gains a reputation it is likely a randomly selected guitar from that maker will fall within parameters that make that guitar great. it would be akin to buying fruit from you. if you sell good and tasty apples without worms the word will get out that any given apple from you will likely be good, tasty and worm free. if i am in the market for an apple i will likely rely on the opinions of others who most likely will direct me to you. in the modern era, i may watch you pitch your apples on youtube.

as to aaron's post (point #2), a few years ago he had a client who was selling a green blanca with pegs for a great price (the sale was funding another green guitar) and it came down to giving money to aaron or giving money to my dentist. damn, the dentist won.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 13:55:49

britguy

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to keith

quote:

would be akin to buying fruit from you.

Not quite the same, but. . .

I frequently give out "freebie" samples of my Asian Pears, and apples to potential customers, and most of my initial sales come fom that. Afterwards repeat orders are pretty regular. Mainly because my stuff is very fresh - usually picked the same day it is sold. As for promoting on YouTube (and the Foro?) - NO !!!

I've bought a few guitars "sight unseen" through this forum, and so far have been very happy with all of them (I'm a player, NOT a collector). But perhaps I have just been lucky, or maybe not over-critical?

But my question still rmains, what criteria could (or should) one apply in selecting a custom builder whose guitars one has not had the opportunity to play.

Maybe this is a dumb rhetorical question, but is the builder's reputation the sole criterion. . .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 14:29:40

keith

britguy--pitching fruit on youtube might be a stretch but hey, who knows, there might be a future in doing so. just look what happened to your fellow country kid, justin bieber.

i think earned reputation has a lot to do with buying a guitar sight unseen. luthiers earn a reputation, good or bad, and one is likely to take that reputation into account buying sight unseen. i have never played a reyes but i may be prone to buying one given the reputation he has earned. likewise, i had never played a ramirez blanca from the 60's prior to me buying a 1966 ramirez.

that said, if one were to select a luthier to build a guitar i think detailed communication is important--to let the luthier know what sound/feel you are looking for and what recourse you have if the guitar does not meet your approval.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 14:47:09

Morante

"i have never played a reyes but i may be prone to buying one given the reputation he has earned. likewise, i had never played a ramirez blanca from the 60's prior to me buying a 1966 ramirez. "

I have played lots of Reyes, some great, some so-so. Incluso I know him;-). I would never pay the current price of a Reyes: they are only for collectors. I have played a couple of great Ramirez flamencos, also overpriced. Anybody who wants a good Reyes at todays prices should visit Postigo: at least, he will offer 5 or 6 to try.

If I wanted another flamenco guitar, I know where I would buy it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 15:18:52

gerundino63

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 31 2013 15:24:53
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 15:19:58

britguy

quote:

, i had never played a ramirez blanca from the 60's prior to me buying a 1966 ramirez

Well, here's a good example:

Back in the late '50's I bought a new Ramirez blanca, directly from Jose 111 - who happened to have one available in tghe store . I played it hard for about twelve years. But I always thought the sound was too 'sweet' and lute-like for a flamenco. So eventually and reluctantly, I sold it.

All of the several guitars I now own sound and play better than that 1958 Ramirez. And none of the builders have the status and reputation of Jose 111.

I guess there's no substitute for actually playing.

( Have to go - late for my dental appointment . . . )
[image][/image]

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 15:20:22

gerundino63

@ Britguy,
I bought an Anders Eliasson unseen.

The sound of all his recordings and others, where consequent, all his Negra's had the same kind of sound in them. His blanca's too.

PLUS the fact that it is nearly impossible to build a guitar with a string hight of 3mm at the bass side and 2.5 mm at the trebble side,
that still sound loud and with very little to no buzing, it was a relative easy thing to do for me.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 15:25:20

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlau

I see some guitars sold from $$$$$, which aren't very good.
There are other guitars which are very good (like Stephen's), but are only $$$$.

-Matt

Note, I'm not interested in getting in the business. I'm purely an amateur and content to stay a hobbyist.

A legit question that I think was answered sort of bitterly and sarcastically (understandably). But for any new comers, here is how I understand it.

Its based on USED instrument sales mainly. That means, long ago like 1912 ish, the flamenco and classical guitar designs got more or less set in stone, and you have branches and lines of builders under the main ones. THat means you had instruments that were normal price of their day, but after the luthier dies you have the apprentice building under the same name trying to establish his OWN work, by building in the same style. So over time the ORIGINAL makers instruments that appear become more and more valuable (because you can't get one new at fair price) and the price gets driven up and up.

At a certain point in history (lets say Ramirez III) it was clear demand was too high and "student" guitars built with lesser materials were made in large enough quantities to fill demands. So to distinguish between A and B guitars , the name of a luthier no long has the same importance. Things like a head cut or signature label, etc start having importance to price. (non of this has to do truly with performance, a B guitar still plays and sounds in tune and feeling etc as an A guitar, but cheaper materials and less love put in that's all). So the question of fakes and real deals becomes important and then again you have prices going up to keep things clear.

The general idea of an A guitar is that you buy it new...it devalues after that a little but increases over time. After 10 years it should have reached it's original sale price, then, if the maker has a good reputation and his or her instruments get sold at higher prices USED, then it keeps going and going up after 10 years. That is a general concept.

I have seen some guitars get blown out of proportion, and those are anamolies. Reyes for one....more than doubled in price suddenly as people hunted down a specific year ...that trickled out into any year of a authentic one. That was odd. The euro affect the price of NEW guitars such that a hot item such as Conde, went ABOVE it's resale price suddenly. YOu can still get old used ones at the fair price about half of what you need to get a new one. Then you have the odd case of Gerundino where it went down in value after he dies...I still don't understand that. (Perhaps in my small circle only, but I saw them going for 10,000 for several years then got dropped down to 8k and even less since his death.).

Most makers that establish a reputation end up having a waiting list for A models, if they work legitimately alone. Some big names already close that list as they build guitars at price X for the rest of their working lives, yet any used versions therefore instantly cost X and can go as far up 3X (in case of Reyes just a few years ago). New builders with open wait lists necessarily keep the prices reasonable for the sake of establishing a good reputation. That means they hope that they get more and more people on the list plus see their used instruments going for something close to or ideally ABOVE the price they charged orginally. After 10 years of this the luthier should have an idea where they stand in the market.

What it means to a buyer: The seller of a used guitar is trying to keep the market UP and fishing for more and more for the instrument that was bought cheaper (A model instruments). So the buyer has an obligation to respect that, know the market well enough to counter offer a fair (non insulting) lower price in hopes a middle ground is met, that both keeps the maker at its reputation level, and the buyer knows he is not getting ripped off.
Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 31 2013 16:53:00

constructordeguitarras

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

I'm getting into dentistry supply so I can sell you your tools and materials.

Maybe you could sell dentistry tools to luthiers. You just made me realize that what I need for removing shavings from the "beesting" mortise is a dental pick.

Ethan Deutsch
www.edluthier.com
www.facebook.com/ethandeutschguitars
www.youtube.com/marioamayaflamenco
I always have flamenco guitars available for sale.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2013 3:21:24

estebanana

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to constructordeguitarras

quote:

Maybe you could sell dentistry tools to luthiers. You just made me realize that what I need for removing shavings from the "beesting" mortise is a dental pick.

I have a tiny Japanese chisel for that, but if you like you can use it as a dental scaler to clean teeth as well. Plaque runs in fear from that chisel.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2013 4:36:43

johnguitar

quote:

But my question still rmains, what criteria could (or should) one apply in selecting a custom builder whose guitars one has not had the opportunity to play.

If I try to answer this question my first feeling is that you should never buy a guitar without first having played one by that maker. Even better you should try the specific guitar that you are buying especially if you are very nit-picky. Used guitars open up the spectrum of what is available to try and buy. However, if you cannot do that I think it is relevant how many years the builder has been working and how many guitars he or she has made. Someone who has made 30 instruments might make the perfect guitar for you but I wouldn't buy one sight-unseen whereas if you really do have no way of trying out instruments then a long-established maker gives you a certain guarantee. If you have someone who can try the guitar and whose criteria is similar to your own that might help too. Of course nothing is foolproof, I'm grasping at straws to give you some criteria. Buying close to home is a good thing too. Many very good makers will accept a return within a short time period and if the guitar is in perfect condition. I give players one week to put the guitar through its paces and if they don't like it they can have their money back. This only works well locally.

John Ray
https://www.johnguitar.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 1 2013 5:42:50

mlau

quote:

Wow! So many responses when I was out interviewing for work!

1. Stephen, I'm glad to hear that you're alive!
Dr. Lin is the guy that got me into dentistry (I was dead-set on getting an MD previously). After seeing hundreds dentists, I'd still say that he's a pretty good one. He's GREAT at extractions, and is a kind guy.
There are a couple dentists that love guitars...one is my periodontist (I'm building a OOO short-scale); one is Dr. Subido in Larkspur (I'm thinking of a crossover guitar for his wedding present).
I'm not sure that they'd barter work for a guitar though, their wife would kill them!

2. RE: dental tools
Just ask your dentist. Seriously. The better ones are conscientious about the quality of our tools and will occasionally take some out of circulation. Scalers are good, but burs, hatchets and hoes (think 1mm angled chisels) are far more useful.

3. Currently, I'm building a classical guitar under a guy with a ridiculously good reputation in the international circle. He is a proud builder of the old tradition, and learned under Overholtz. However, his guitars are underpriced, and he has horrible business sense.
Most of the time, people's reaction when they hear his name is "he's still alive? Why isn't he more famous/expensive/etc?"
It's frustrating to see him struggle financially when he should be happily retired if he was in any other industry.

-Matt

ps. If you're seriously thinking of dentistry, PM me. I can tell you what not to do, what to expect, and how to get there.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2013 6:23:58

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlau

quote:

Wow! So many responses when I was out interviewing for work!

3. Currently, I'm building a classical guitar under a guy with a ridiculously good reputation in the international circle. He is a proud builder of the old tradition, and learned under Overholtzer.

However, his guitars are under priced, and he has horrible business sense. Most of the time, people's reaction when they hear his name is "he's still alive? Why isn't he more famous/expensive/etc?"

It's frustrating to see him struggle financially when he should be happily retired if he was in any other industry.

-Matt

Matt,

When I first went back into building guitars in 1974, I tried to compete with the Japanese prices. I sold guitars but that was not a good way to pay my shop bills and have food on the table, so I got the idea that I would build the guitars as best I could and then charge what I needed to make a living, barely, so that worked for awhile and things started getting better.

And I can tell you that in the early years I was alone in my shop with no outside influence to keep me company and this taught me a lot of patience. Also, for me, it was a faith builder in believing that things would ultimately get better, the longer I tried to produce good art.

And when I finally got my building hands to a point that I could send my guitars out of state, I contacted GSI in California and they took one of my guitars and advertised the heck out it and that was the start of my reputation, which went viral for about 15 years as one of their exclusives.

However, there are a few ways to advertise guitars. Bob Ruck was in a good place to sell his guitars as he placed one with a very good classical guitarist, and that guitarist traveled and did a very good job demonstrating Bob's work.

And then Bob used a comfortable pricing for his guitars with options for higher pricing. It worked very well for him and he understood the mechanics of how to sell guitars at an affordable price, then add to it his higher priced instruments, which added more income. But I think the bottom line to his success was that he kept his basic instrument prices affordable and used the option tool to add to it; like higher priced tuning machines, and cases, etc.

And he went in the direction of using a very well known artist to endorse his work, and kept his work consistent with his building practice, not trying to take on too much in the way of managing a higher volume with different designs but keeping close to a design that was being advertised.

So, I think that trying to be a guitar maker who tries to be all things to all people will either be organized enough to build his business or suffer for building in so many directions that his art doesn't fly with most buyers due to the differences in his work. Most of the guitar buying market wants a guitar just like their peers play, and if this is consistent with a builder, then this information will ultimately get out, as his signature for what he builds, and it will add to his income.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2013 12:09:08

Ricardo

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

However, there are a few ways to advertise guitars. Bob Ruck was in a good place to sell his guitars as he placed one with a very good classical guitarist, and that guitarist traveled and did a very good job demonstrating Bob's work.

His guitars are actually very good too IMO. The ones I tried anyway, it was understandable why at the time of meeting him, his list was closed, or 6 years or something I consider ridiculous. Brune is another guy. Waiting list seems to equal success, and I think it is mainly based on word of mouth by players.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2013 14:37:35

Tom Blackshear

RE: How does the business of selling... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricardo

quote:

His guitars are actually very good too IMO. The ones I tried anyway, it was understandable why at the time of meeting him, his list was closed, or 6 years or something I consider ridiculous. Brune is another guy. Waiting list seems to equal success, and I think it is mainly based on word of mouth by players.

Well, the fact that both Brune and Ruck build very good guitars goes without question.

And the wait list can be an indicator but rarely any wait list past 2 years happens without some drop offs, as a longer wait list can become wish lists due to time constraints, or in some cases until another popular builder comes on the scene.

This has been my experience and I'm sure Brune and Ruck have experienced similar results, as this is the rule of most any builder with a wait list.

And many economically well healed buyers are now too old to make an investment that they may not be able to enjoy in 6 to 8 years.

So, in cases like this, shorter wait lists have appeal.

But then for younger buyers, this ideal works, as they have time to save their money, and if they can't make the buy at the time the guitar is ready, then they have a chance to sell their place in line to a buyer who would pay extra, by not having to wait so long.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 7 2013 15:19:12
Page:   [1] 2    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote