Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Hi from Jerez...   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

zata

Hi from Jerez... 

I hardly have time to visit the forums any more, but it's nice to see everyone still around. I don't see any comments about the Llave de Oro that was given to Fosforito yesterday, this is a very important event. Hey, don't you guys read Deflamenco? There's a report about Fosforito and other interesting stuff. The Fosforito material is at: http://www.deflamenco.com/especiales/fosforito/indexi.jsp

Last week Ramin from the GT forum came to Jerez to hand-deliver the money his group collected for Parrilla. We went to his house, he was in worse condition than I'd expected. Maybe Simon would consider organizing a collection...this was a very great guitarist we've all enjoyed many many times playing for Paquera and others.

Estela

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2005 20:49:59

Ron.M

RE: Hi from Jerez... (in reply to zata

Estela!!
Great that you still look in from time to time!
I personally have always valued your contributions and thoughts over the past few years!

Don't ever go away for so long!....

cheers

Ron
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2005 21:38:11

Escribano

quote:

Maybe Simon would consider organizing a collection

Hi Estela, long time. We've managed to put a young dancer through school in Granada.

As it happens, I'm working on incorporating features from deflamenco directly into the site in a new release of the software (as we discussed a while ago). Meantime, we can get deflamenco news by clicking on "news" at the top of the page.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 13 2005 23:42:33

zata

RE: Hi from Jerez... (in reply to Escribano

quote:

we can get deflamenco news by clicking on "news" at the top of the page.

Hi Simon, Ron, everyone...

That's great about the news, but the best articles and images, like show reviews, go into the features, the large banner on the front page...we save other items for the "news" section which is the small banner.

Please let's do consider doing something for Parrilla. I'd been asking about him and following his progress since last November when he had this stroke. Everyone gave me such optimistic news, I didn't grasp the reality of his condition until I saw him last week. He needs 24-hour care since his movement is severely limited. The family has used nearly all the money from last May's benefit concert to refit the house with special aids and equipment and frankly the living quarters approach squalid. Mentally, Parrilla is not diminished, which makes it all the more tragic in a way, as he appears to be suffering physically as well as spiritually. Ramin at Flamenco-teacher can confirm all this.

The man is just 59 or 60 - he's not "a guy who played guitar" but part of the great Jerez guitar tradition who has been deprived of his only source of income. Paco Cepero wanted to get a monthly stipend for him from the municipal government, but for bureaucratic reasons it was not possible.

He's being cared for by his loving daughters and sister, but they're completely overwhelmed. Any small amount will be greatly appreciated by them. Simon, surely we can work out a system and pitch in.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 14 2005 4:39:43

Kate

Estela,

What a sad story. And of course the money raised in may must have gone by now. One of the problems with fund raising is keeping up momentum. I think it would be great if our next project here could be to help. Everyone was very generous when we asked for help for Andrés and his school fees, and also for Carmen. So on their behalf I would like to donate something.

What's the plan Smion, let me know.

kate

Emilio Maya Temple
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000CA6OBC
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/emiliomaya
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2005 15:16:41

Escribano

RE: Hi from Jerez... (in reply to Kate

quote:

What's the plan Smion, let me know.

I suggest you and Estela get the appeal together and PayPal details as last time and I'll post it prominently. What do you think?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2005 16:01:16

zata

quote:

I suggest you and Estela get the appeal together and PayPal details as last time and I'll post it prominently. What do you think?

Simon, I need some guidance as I don't know how this has to be done. I suppose a PayPal account has to be given to receive donations...Kate seems to know more about this process, I've got no idea.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2005 17:17:23

Escribano

quote:

I suppose a PayPal account has to be given to receive donations...Kate seems to know more about this process, I've got no idea.

You, Kate and I should chat over email about it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2005 17:47:28

Kate

Well I have a paypal account, we used it for the other appeals. It's kate@andalamusica.com. If people make sure they write what the money is for, and preferably choose euros as the currency, it wont be a problem keeping account of the money and transfering it direct to a spanish bank. If Estela can provide some details and photos to give everyone an idea of why this is important and about Parilla's life in flamenco we could do this. I hope everyone gives generously.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2005 20:33:48

zata

quote:

If Estela can provide some details and photos to give everyone an idea of why this is important and about Parilla's life in flamenco we could do this.

Kate, everyone..... Ramín and I went to his house and Ramin had promised his forum he would bring back pictures. We imagined them arm in arm smiling, holding the envelope with the donations.

This was not possible. The man is in a pathetic way and Ramin and I agreed that taking pictures would have been highly inappropriate. I have however written Ramin privately asking him to talk about that visit and I'll post his reply or he'll post directly.

Some brief details about this legendary guitarist. Along with Manuel Morao he played for and recorded with all of the great Jerez singers and played an important part in developing what we all today consider "the Jerez sound". He was Paquera's regular guitarist and inseparable friend for 25 years - last year I stood next to him as Paquera's coffin was lowered into the ground...he was devastated. Parrilla was responsible for rescuing the Jerez tradition of villancicos which had been conserved in just a few families and were on the verge of extinction...now Jerez is alive with villancicos every Christmas, on many street-corners, in homes, peñas and bars, a wonderful piece of culture he preserved for future generations.

The man was fully active and dynamic when this stroke put an end to it all last November. Now he sits on a dingy couch in a dingy room and rocks back and forth holding his head with his non-paralyzed right hand, occasionally saying a word or two. The family tries to make him comfortable, but he is clearly suffering.

That's as accurate a picture as I can give.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 17 2005 22:32:41

Kate

Hi Estela

I did not mean photos of him right now but maybe a pic of him in better health when he was performing. We should create a special page with all this info to make a bigger impact so people can read about his important contribution to flamenco, basically what you wrote here. I'm also willing to donate a few flamenco CDs so we could have a lottery draw for donors to give them added incentive to give.

Kate

Emilio Maya Temple
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2005 8:37:13

zata

quote:

We should create a special page with all this info to make a bigger impact so people can read about his important contribution to flamenco

I'm starting a new string with the title PARRILLA...it's time to mobilize and get something going...

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 18 2005 18:20:53
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message