Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to bursche

quote:

Peñas, Bars, Zambras, all these places are having a hard time due to the severe fine policy of local spanish governments. That makes the places seem quite these days. But there is still so much going on in private.
Speaking of Granada, there are many young artists who appreciate cante jondo as much as a grooving rumba, guitarists who learned seguiriyas by Riqueni and tell all their frllow singers they want to do seguiriyas to try the material, bar owners who will even pay foreign guitarists for a gig if they play well because people still love the music.
There are young people keeping flamenco a living art. I don't see how it can be dying.
I don't understand your pessimism Anders.

I´m glad you have possitive experiences. Thats good, but I dont agree with your vision of the scene and its not something to do with the government and economical crisis. This actually started before.
Its also ok if you dont think that the observations that Morante and I have are interesting. Thats up to you. They are based on living here MANY years and not on comming from outside visiting flamenco friends. (the socalled microkosmos)
Basically we are talking about two different things. I believe when you say that there are cantaores in Granada (and many other places) that are interested in learning and studying the art. Who accept that its a LOT of work to learn. And I still hope and believe that the scene will survive and that we in 1 or 2 decades will have Cante Jondo. But it might be in a much smaller scale and only conserved by few.
What Morante and I say is more general based on everyday observations all over Andalucia during years. And there is a strong tendency, that flamenco is not what it was. Less interest, and especially a tendency to focus more and more on the light repatoire. The party and easy flamenco.
Besides, the huge majority of young Andalusians are not interested at all in flamenco and find it to be old fashion, dusty and pasé. I go to Sevilla quite often to se Sole´s kids which are the 20th. I see their friends, I go other places as well and the picture is the same. They are not interested. Peñas and bars are closing. But what is more interesting is that they were empty before they closed. And it started before this eco crisis.
Use this information the way you want. But saying that its negative that Morante and I say out loud what we observe is to be blind and it wont help flamenco one bit at all. We are NOT trying to make a negative picture of flamenco. We are trying to say what is there.... Now use that info.

Flamenco has been through tough times before and has survived. Hopefully it´ll do so again. I believe it will and I dont believe its negative to say how things are

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 8:54:44

Anders Eliasson

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to flyhere

quote:

Hi Anders,

I am getting a bit depressed reading your post. Here I am thinking of dusting off my guitar and start learning flamenco, but it's going to be a dead art. I'll never be good enough to buy a real flamenco guitar.

fly

Dont make a few posts from real world stop you from playing. You should play because you want to play and if you do so, you might even end up being a good player or at least enjoy what you do.
And besides, very soon, I wont be posting these things from real world, because I can see that the community dont want to hear and that it prefer being blind and deaf, so I will stop.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 9:03:01

bursche

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to Anders Eliasson

Hasn't the flamenco world always been a small community even in Andalucia? The presence of the art doesn't necessarily mean it's appealing for everybody.
Now this topic might be out of place but just to show what I mean: we suppose there are no more than 2% homosexuals in western societies but nonetheless we experience the topic as being omnipresent.
(That does not mean flamenco is gay.)

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 10:15:46

KMMI77

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 27 2013 10:25:14
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 11:28:45

tele

quote:

(That does not mean flamenco is gay.)

I find it to be often quite happy(gay)

When talking to andalucian people I was surprised that almost everybody liked flamenco, even my friend's 11 year old kid was putting cameron on youtube(though after that some spanish schoolgirl pop), meaning while there might not be so many people playing(at least as many as before), there will always be appreciation and love for the art in andalucia, as the whole thing runs in their blood. And I can't imagine it's extinction as long as the people are there.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 11:41:40

Erik van Goch

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to flyhere

quote:

ORIGINAL: flyhere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik van Goch

.... Argentinian tango was nearly dead until european public reanimated it which started a real revival. Tango players who hated Astor Piazzolla were suddenly forced to play his bloody compositions because the newly generated interested audience demanded it....

Hi Erik,

Not sure about where you are, but here in Southern California, nobody in their right mind would play Piazzola. It's totally not danceable. The Argentine Tango dance scene is pretty healthy, with for the most part lots of traditional stuff from the 30s and 40s. Only a little bit of "nuevo" for the young folks who really can't dance anyway. Oh, sorry for being off-track.

fly

I don't know all the ins and outs, it just might be a (half-true) story that pups up sometimes when Piazzolla is mentioned. I think we are talking Paris in the 50ties. As far as i can believe that story tango was suffering (public) interest at a certain period of time and it was the paris tango mania that gave it a new boost. I don't know for sure if this paris revival also matches the time newly generared public (not necessarily dancers) preferred to hear Piazzolla stuff or that that was from a later date.

Personally i mostly love his Quinteto Tango Nuevo, but during his life he played much more danceable stuff as well. Personally i have mixed feelings about the tango dance because i.m.o. it dominates the musicians to much (like in popular music it's often the lead singer who gets the fame and the money and not the fabulous musicians behind them...on paper even the stones are still Mick Jagger with hired musicians, although in this case they became quite famous themselves).

I mentioned the tango to underline that cultures sometimes needs (foreign) new pulses to flourish (or even survive)...the bandoneon was originally a German instrument that was introduced to the south americas by german sailors and italian immigrands in the late 19th century and the cajon was picked up by PDL during his south america tours.

I happen to live in Rotterdam were shortly after Paco Peña started the first flamenco university school for flamenco guitar the same institute also started an equally successful Tango academy (with teachers like Leo Vervelde and Karel Kraayenhof).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 12:14:22

Anders Eliasson

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Jan. 13 2013 16:23:12
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 16:22:19

Anders Eliasson

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to KMMI77

Is it cante jondo that's disappearing or the collective vibe from another time?

I believe that music always perfectly reflects its time in history. When i watch older videos of jondo flamenco, I get a sense of the atmosphere in the room ,and a sense of the vibe coming from the people. The vibe and social behavior of people has changed so much since those days. Many changes for the better, and other changes that are not so great. Either way, Imo it was the collective vibe of the time that produced the specific cante jondo that your referring to.

Where would you prefer that flamenco went back to and stayed?

Do you have an ideal regarding what you want to experience through flamenco? IMO you need to find that for yourself ,and not complain because other flamencos aren't finding it for you, or showing you the way to it.

[/quote]

Lots of questions Kris, so I cut it down a bit. I hope you dont mind.

First of all, I´m NOT referring to any specific style of anything. Cante Jondo has nothing to do with an era or a time. Cante Jondo is the backbone of flamenco.
So, I dont want to go back.. I want to be where I am now. I have no specific likings on the flamenco time scale. This is NOT the old versus new discussion.
But if those wanting to learn flamenco dont want to learn Cante Jondo, then they want to learn nothing. Its the same as someone wanting to learn to play flamenco guitar but not wanting to learn the compás.
What would like to experience in flamenco is something social built on the backbone of flamenco, which I´ve just tryed to explain what it is. And believe me. I have really tried during the years I´ve been here, but I have found les and less and less.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 16:25:09

Anders Eliasson

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to tele

quote:

When talking to andalucian people I was surprised that almost everybody liked flamenco, even my friend's 11 year old kid was putting cameron on youtube(though after that some spanish schoolgirl pop), meaning while there might not be so many people playing(at least as many as before), there will always be appreciation and love for the art in andalucia, as the whole thing runs in their blood. And I can't imagine it's extinction as long as the people are there.

I dont know how much time you´ve been here and how andalucians you know. I´ve been here almost 12 years, I know quite a few Andalusians and I´ve known more. VERY FEW of them ever listen to flamenco and they dont care about it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 16:28:07

XXX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson
VERY FEW of them ever listen to flamenco and they dont care about it.

Why do YOU care about it? (im not trolling)

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 17:03:11

BarkellWH

Anders,

I have no idea about the state of flamenco in Andalucia and no basis on which to comment on it. I do have a great deal of respect for your opinions, however, as you have lived in Andalucia for nearly 12 years and know the region, its people, and its music intimately. When you say that most Andalucians do not listen to flamenco and do not care about it, I trust that to be true. I can imagine that the young people in Andalucia, like young people everywhere, care more about "world music" and other musical offshoots than they do about their own cultural tradition of flamenco.

Frankly, I am surprised at the number of comments on the Foro that challenge you on this issue. They seem to miss your main point that cante jondo (the mother and heart of flamenco) is disappearing, not to mention that, as stated above, most Andalucians don't care about flamenco anyway. To use the example of an 11-year old girl watching Camaron on Youtube and then immediately switching to "schoolgirl pop" is hardly evidence that Andalucian youth are engaging with flamenco. Its almost as if those aficionados living outside of Spain want so badly to believe flamenco (including most importantly cante jondo) is alive and well in its birthplace that they don't want to hear anything that disrupts their cherished narrative. Your challengers appear to be basing their comments more on a wish than on the reality you present.

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 17:22:37

zata

quote:

here, its NOT considered to be flamenco

Depends on where "here" is, and on who you ask. Me, I'd get lynched if I dared write this wasn't flamenco. I sometimes refer to this kind of music as "flamenco derivado" (flamenco derivative) which doesn't seem to bother people too much.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 18:09:29

zata

quote:

Peñas and bars are closing

Just yesterday I found out the venerable Peña Chacón many of you know has gone from about 300 paying members to fewer than 20. Its days are numbered, and this was one of the most popular peñas in Jerez.

Anders is essentially right, although I'm much less pessimistic. Flamenco won't disappear, it will simply retreat to the small venues and homes from whence it came, and in the process, perhaps some of the silliness, over-production and opportunism will slough off.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 18:16:55

zata

quote:

Hasn't the flamenco world always been a small community even in Andalucia?

It's my belief there is always a constant (and small) percentage of people interested in flamenco. All that varies is the definition of what flamenco is.

Forty years ago Las Grecas were considered Andalusian pop. Today they would be called "flamenco". Same music, broader definition.

Estela
http://www.deflamenco.com/indexes.jsp
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 18:24:13

Leñador

quote:

When talking to andalucian people I was surprised that almost everybody liked flamenco,

Imma have two side with Anders on this one. I spent 2 weeks in Sevilla hanging out meeting a lot of random people and the only people I met that liked flamenco were trying to sell me tickets to tablaos. Everyone else could care less. Not big metal fans either

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 18:32:53

zata

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to Leñador

More Andalusians like flamenco than Basque people, Galicians, Madrileños, etc. But it's true, most Andalusians are not interested in flamenco at all, and in fact, with the terrible economic situation we now have, there's a lot of resentment about public resources having been used to support the artform.

Even long before the recession, I remember seeing graffiti, "NO MÁS DINERO PARA FLAMENCO". And that's in Jerez!

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 18:41:48

zata

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to zata

Jeesh, I uploaded my picture, but it's so frickin huge! I trimmed to 195x195 like the instructions said, but no one else's is this big

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 18:44:27

tele

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to BarkellWH

quote:

To use the example of an 11-year old girl watching Camaron on Youtube and then immediately switching to "schoolgirl pop" is hardly evidence that Andalucian youth are engaging with flamenco

Evidence, of course no(but I wanted to mention it). Just a peculiar matter. I find it interesting that at least one person of that age has interest in such a "serious" music. It can almost be compared to finnish kid listening to vesa matti loiri or kari tapio in Finland, which would be quite something.
If something is becoming less popular I don't find it very problematic at least for me as long I enjoy it. But I do believe we are talking here about something that has a permanent stamp on andalucian(and should I say worldwide) culture, even if nobody would play it any longer.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 19:54:47

Dave K

quote:

I found out the venerable Peña Chacón many of you know has gone from about 300 paying members to fewer than 20

Supports what Anders and Morante are saying. What time span are you referring to Estela?

Cheers,
Dave

Avise La Fin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 21:17:29

Ricardo

quote:

And there is a strong tendency, that flamenco is not what it was. Less interest, and especially a tendency to focus more and more on the light repatoire. The party and easy flamenco.

Well everybody been saying that since the golden era. It ain't the same, never will be. Complaining about it though seems the never ending constant. From flamenco 1 to flamenco 2 by saura, we see the guitar level go up, the baile more precise and artsy, but the cante went down hill interms of skill level quality and scope. Yes it's true. But cante jondo is what precisely? Only solea and siguiriya? Lets look at solea then.

I was shocked by Chozas in rito because he made up his own solea. Now if some kid did that today, he would be made fun of by aficionados. So there you go...how can you NOT expect solea to die in its glass case of antiquity if people can't make up new styles? Cantores, young ones gravitated to what you nerds call "light" forms such as buleria and tango/rumba because they were simply ALLOWED to be creative. It's not so much easier or light weight when you get at the heart of lyric meaning and musicality. Very few young flamencos dare to mess around with siguiriya or solea an in the end get stuck with only know a few styles that "work" for baile and such. So cante already died in the golden era IMO. Why you getting depressed NOW makes no sense.

I am saying I recognize potential for a revival, meanwhile blame the dancers and the aficionados for boxing in and stiffling the cante jondo. The styles are all on record for new people to learn and try to use and improve upon if they so dare. Meanwhile we at least have recordings and the handful of amateurs that appreicate enough to try to learn the stuff in private gatherings...that won't ever die.

Ricardo

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 21:20:33

zata

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to Dave K

quote:

quote:

I found out the venerable Peña Chacón many of you know has gone from about 300 paying members to fewer than 20

Supports what Anders and Morante are saying. What time span are you referring to Estela?

According to the president, "in just a couple of years"! The Chacón is owned by the members, and has been put up for sale. So sad...

The economic situation is hitting hard in Jerez, other peñas will be closing, there's no more money for them from the municipal government, and anyone hoping to attend the Festival de Jerez, don't delay, even last year there was talk about it's being canceled for lack of funding, but in the end it was saved by the many courses staged as part of the festival. This year it's also scheduled, starting on February 22, but there's no guarantee it will continue to be held.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 21:29:55

Anders Eliasson

quote:

quote:

here, its NOT considered to be flamenco

Depends on where "here" is, and on who you ask. Me, I'd get lynched if I dared write this wasn't flamenco. I sometimes refer to this kind of music as "flamenco derivado" (flamenco derivative) which doesn't seem to bother people too much.

Hi Zata long time no see. You look good on the (big) photo.
I agree.. The whole rumba thing and the pop production of flamenco rumbas are on the edge and can be discussed from now on and into eternity. What I´ve already said is that my references are local amateur singers. (not amateurish. Some have studied a lot.)
I dont feel like I´m the one to judge everything. I dont know enough and I´m not involved enough in the scene to put myself up as an authority, so most of what I´ve written in this thread and a few others have been based on other, local peoples opinions.
I agree with Zata, that flamenco will survive. I also wrote that a few hours ago and I like the idea of flamenco going a bit away from the stage lights, the producers, the money, the flash. Art doesn´t necessarily progress in these circumstances. Some just get richer.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 21:32:43

Anders Eliasson

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to XXX

quote:

quote:

Deniz, I think you know the answer. If not here it is again:
I live here. I played flamenco for +10 years, I build flamenco guitars. I like the flamenco.
is it enough?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 21:35:09

mezzo

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Well everybody been saying that since the golden era.

Wasn't this kind of reproofs already present in the idea of the organization of the 1922 cante jondo concurso?
Eventually these arguments are as old as the growth of flamenco in the public/commercial sphere.

At least a hundred years that these degenerations thesis are going on. And I do not see why it couldn't last for another century

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 22:37:09

Ricardo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Deniz, I think you know the answer. If not here it is again:
I live here. I played flamenco for +10 years, I build flamenco guitars. I like the flamenco.
is it enough?

Maybe he is being more specific. Where do you draw your line? You say cante is dying compared to before, so how far back would YOU go and say "ok, flamenco is doing great in this epoc"? Perhaps back at the time the first saura movie came out and many cantaores of the older generation are now dead were featured? Do camaroneros not do it for you? Point is we can play that game each of us and always look to the past at some point when we felt it was going well and now it's just not the same. Think of how agujeta feels.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 13 2013 22:41:59

zata

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

I was shocked by Chozas in rito because he made up his own solea. Now if some kid did that today, he would be made fun of by aficionados.

Actually, the opposite is true. Singers used to stick to traditional verses, but nowadays everyone tries to write their own. Unfortunately that can make for some dorky poetry...probably best not to renew too much all at once. I enjoy hearing about two thirds traditional verses to one third original at most. There's some brilliant poetry in the traditional ones, that's why they've stood the test of time.

People can create whatever they want, what's to stop them?

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2013 0:09:47

Dave K

Anders, I think Cante Jondo moved to a garage in Madrid...

Cheers,
Dave

Avise La Fin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2013 1:37:32

KMMI77

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 27 2013 10:25:30
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2013 1:40:26

zata

RE: Rumbas y los demás cosas. (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

There is now a massive overload of flamenco IMO. [...]
Now most of it just gets skimmed over in a bid to hear what's next.

That's not due to the abundance of flamenco, but rather to its dearth.

Pop music has a limited shelf life, but great art is forever.

Estela Zatania
www.deflamenco.com
www.expoflamenco.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2013 1:54:20

KMMI77

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at May 27 2013 10:25:43
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 14 2013 2:18:05
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages