Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tele

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to kudo

It's nice and beautiful, but maybe just a bit too simple and straightforward.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 10 2013 23:21:59

heavymellow

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to tele

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 0:36:34

rogeliocan

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Elie

talk about a curve ball...
I am no expert, it's nice easy listening but not flamenco at all. I still like it but it just loops and loops and will get boring to play... easy come easy go.

I am looking forward to the album the other video is nice too, too bad they cut it when the flamenco guitar comes in. That bit of guitar in the end reminds me of a melody... if I remember I will come back....

I got it, Oblivion - Piazolla
Here is a nice version, I like this Anderson guy, with their odd videos

And sorry if has nothing to do with the thread but this is worth seeing too... what the hell, it's not flamenco anyways.

Ramzi that is cool... AND FAST to post!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 1:19:35

Erik van Goch

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to rogeliocan

You spotted those 2 links very well.....i guess Vicente develops the same problem i have...before you know it ends up sounding like Bach, de Lucia, Vicente, Piazzolla, Erik Visser or one of the other people that touched your heart 1 way or the other....

Piazzolla's fabulous tango nuevo quinteto produced the most beautiful sounds that ever entered my ears and the "zero hour" project is my personal point of reference for this universe (both the record and the life performances).
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 1:45:56

KMMI77

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Elie

It just goes to show that Vicente is a such a humble guy, and a great all round open minded musician. Im just picturing him at the rehearsal in the above video saying to the other musicians. This is,

quote:

kinda boring

quote:

but the chord progression is way too predictable.

or,

quote:

Come on guys, He is having to work in with a bunch of musicians. A nice chord progression with lots of space gives all that room for tasteful orchestration.

He did a great job coming up with that progression IMO. And who knows if he had other melodies that the other musicians already knew, that he had to work around? What are they supposed to play? Some complicated fast falsetas in unison with a key change every 20 seconds to show how cool they are?

Flamenco or not I still prefer it to lots of "traditional" flamenco that's been recorded.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 1:49:42

Leñador

quote:

Some complicated fast falsetas in unison with a key change every 20 seconds to show how cool they are?

YES!
That's an easy way to win my heart at least.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 1:55:34

Bulerias2005

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

It just goes to show that Vicente is a such a humble guy, and a great all round open minded musician. Im just picturing him at the rehearsal in the above video saying to the other musicians. This is,

quote:

kinda boring

quote:

but the chord progression is way too predictable.

or,

quote:

Come on guys, He is having to work in with a bunch of musicians. A nice chord progression with lots of space gives all that room for tasteful orchestration.

He did a great job coming up with that progression IMO. And who knows if he had other melodies that the other musicians already knew, that he had to work around? What are they supposed to play? Some complicated fast falsetas in unison with a key change every 20 seconds to show how cool they are?

Flamenco or not I still prefer it to lots of "traditional" flamenco that's been recorded.

I was referring more to the theory underlying the chord progression -- in some places it's cleverly voiced in terms of the guitar harmonies, but I'm hearing a lot of 2-5-1. It's not terribly difficult to orchestrate something over a 2-5-1 progression. Someone posted a Piazzolla video earlier, and actually Piazzolla had a lot of very harmonically interesting pieces where he had to work with 5 or 6 people in a band. It can work. And actually, the music in the Vicente studio video sounds much more interesting than "Roma". Maybe it's intended to be one of the more 'easy-listening' tracks, which would make sense since it's the one they're using to advertise the album.

P.S. I know this is only tangentially related, but the Brazilian musician Hermeto Pascoal is my personal favorite when it comes to orchestrating harmonically dense music for multi-instrument ensembles. Check his stuff out, it's very good music!

Daniel Volovets
Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, & Latin-American Guitar
http://www.danielvolovets.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 1:58:38

Erik van Goch

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Bulerias2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bulerias2005

P.S. I know this is only tangentially related, but the Brazilian musician Hermeto Pascoal is my personal favorite when it comes to orchestrating harmonically dense music for multi-instrument ensembles. Check his stuff out, it's very good music!

Thanks for the tip, he seems pretty interesting indeed. It also seems that he has some kind of agreement with Vicente......Hermeto plays Libertango but leaves out the small part that might or not might have inspired Vicente (compare vicente's 0:45 "missing link" with above piano duo that embeds the part at 1:55).

still Vicente's melody very much sounds like a typical Vicente melody despite it's flavor of Oblivion and Libertango.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 2:49:12

kikkoman

that violinist in the vicente amigo band video has dismal left hand technique
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 3:11:37

Erik van Goch

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to kikkoman

quote:

ORIGINAL: kikkoman

that violinist in the vicente amigo band video has dismal left hand technique

Vicente seems to approve it (0:43)...maybe with feighned enthusiasm but still...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 3:16:30

Anders Eliasson

Next album from V. Amigo will be new age meditation music.
If he goes simpler and elaborates his things a lot slower, making each number some 10 minuts long, then he might have a winner and make a lot of new positive friends.
Right now he´s a bit inbetween two chairs.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 9:09:42

Thomas

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

If he goes simpler and elaborates his things a lot slower, making each number some 10 minuts long, then he might have a winner and make a lot of new positive friends.

hmmm...I wonder how you would feel if someone else rated your own skills as a luthier in such a patronising manner

TeFau Studio Thomas Vogt
Cuadro Sur Guitar Trio
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 9:43:56

el carbonero

that is elevator music.

same harmonie like before,mucho repetition.
boring.

I respect vicente but paseo de gracia y this album,not at all flamenco
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 13:46:58

Ricardo

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Thomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomas

quote:

hmmm...I wonder how you would feel if someone else rated your own skills as a luthier in such a patronising manner

It's ok we got him already on the soundport thing. He don't care.

I only found it boring cuz guitar wise it's the same old 5+7 buleria pattern PDL learned from mclaughlin (meeting of spirits) and Vicente used himself like a dozen songs already, and in THIS one it is infact THE ENTIRE SONG. Harmonically its the circle of 5ths which is always pretty, I never knock anybody from using it, its about unavoidable as trying to do physics without mathematics.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 14:48:16

Anders Eliasson

quote:

quote:

Why is it patronising? I actually mean what I say.... I like New age meditation music and I listen a lot to it in my workshop. Its very relaxing. If he made that album, I would maybe find it more interesting than ´Roma´
I have an enourmous respect for Vicente Amigo. Besides being a very good guitarists, I consider him to be a real artist that might need more space to work than flamenco can give him. And I have absolutely no problem (on the contrary) with him doing other things. I just find this one a bit mediocre and lacking some clear ideas.
I also play celtic music myself, so its very easy for me to listen to this music, but I must admit that if I want to get a relaxing celtic feel, then I prefer the first 4 or 5 albums by ´Clannad´.
Still, we have only heard 1 number, so I prefer to wait with being to judgemental.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 14:56:29

rogeliocan

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

Funny you say that because as I was shaving this morning I was thinking that I like the Roma piece but I just don't want it coming from Vicente Amigo. And I was thinking that this is the same as Enya starting to come out with flamenco pieces, her fans might think it is good (or not...) but it would not line up with her work.

So could be, soon Vicente and Enya will be sharing the stage maybe...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 14:59:51

rogeliocan

quote:

maybe if he started building violins...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 15:01:56

heavymellow

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to rogeliocan

All this talk about the album being "Non-Flamenco"....
The description of the new release was never described as a Flamenco album. Vicente is an artist with a broad palette - this is just an extension of what he is capable of.
Like it or not, Flamenco or New Age, he is a master at his craft and combining genres will only help people learn more about Flamenco.
Excuse me while I duck under cover...I think I hear grenades being thrown...:)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 11 2013 20:04:26

Anders Eliasson

quote:

All this talk about the album being "Non-Flamenco"....
The description of the new release was never described as a Flamenco album. Vicente is an artist with a broad palette - this is just an extension of what he is capable of.
Like it or not, Flamenco or New Age, he is a master at his craft and combining genres will only help people learn more about Flamenco.
Excuse me while I duck under cover...I think I hear grenades being thrown...:)

I agree with what you write, but please remember that this is a flamenco forum and we are used to deal with V. Amigo as a flamenco player.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2013 7:43:36

Pimientito

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to heavymellow

I Kind of agree except that Vicentes first 3 albums were very flamenco. I still rate Vivencias imaginadas as one of my top flamenco albums. When i first listened to paseo de gracia I really didnt like it. Then I put it on in the car and started to listen to it as a music album, not as a flamenco album and I started to like it. If you are a flamenco purist, you are not going to like Vicentes later work but the general public love it. Hes sold thousands of albums and won a Grammy which is amazing for a flamenco guitarist. As a guitarist I have to agree with Ricardo, its kind of boring to listen to especially when you know what he is capable of playing.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2013 7:55:18

Anders Eliasson

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

I still rate Vivencias imaginadas as one of my top flamenco albums.

So do I. Its really a masterpiece.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2013 9:22:28

Doitsujin

ok I listened to it more and like it each time even more. Its well structured, building up in phases. really good.

One thing in life is..you recognize only significant things whereas you don´t see things u r used to, even if they are good. And within things that significantly moved your feelings.. you remember more the bad things than the good things. Thats a problem... because it makes most people blind, not able to appreciate, what good things there are and were.
The good thing about this song especially for me is, after thinking through, that there is no singer popping in for like 5 sec, shouting like ****, destroying the harmony, making me doing ugly faces, getting headache, making me think in a loop "why the heck can´t some damn singers just SHUT IT?!", making it difficult for me to show my friends, who are unexperienced with flamenco showing em good stuff, good music.."because shouting isn´t good" and because they cant handle that ugly shouting... (e.g. duquende and all singers of the new rosario CD, especially in tangos and the one in the middle of "hermanos"....man these shouters make my fingernails roll up...horrible). In short, its so good because Vicente spared out the ugly voices! :)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2013 11:18:20

XXX

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doitsujin

ok I listened to it more and like it each time even more. Its well structured, building up in phases. really good.

One thing in life is..you recognize only significant things whereas you don´t see things u r used to, even if they are good. And within things that significantly moved your feelings.. you remember more the bad things than the good things. Thats a problem... because it makes most people blind, not able to appreciate, what good things there are and were.
The good thing about this song especially for me is, after thinking through, that there is no singer popping in for like 5 sec, shouting like ****, destroying the harmony, making me doing ugly faces, getting headache, making me think in a loop "why the heck can´t some damn singers just SHUT IT?!", making it difficult for me to show my friends, who are unexperienced with flamenco showing em good stuff, good music.."because shouting isn´t good" and because they cant handle that ugly shouting... (e.g. duquende and all singers of the new rosario CD, especially in tangos and the one in the middle of "hermanos"....man these shouters make my fingernails roll up...horrible). In short, its so good because Vicente spared out the ugly voices! :)

Thats why outside Andalucia, where this type of singing is a part of culture, only weird people like flamenco.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 12 2013 12:58:55

Castelat

The clip was made at Santiago de Compostela, capital city of Galicia, north of Spain. That celtic influence in his new album is not precisely from Britain, but from Galicia, I think, but I might be wrong, so that can explain why vicente has decided to make this fusion, the music from Scotland and Galicia isn't so differente, check this out:

Galician folk music Pablo Quintana

Spain is not only guitar and flamenco . So, I think this album will be a mix of flamenco and some northwest traditional folk music(Galician/Asturian). But as I said I might be wrong though.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 3:53:47

kudo

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2013 12:47:40

Elie

thank you for the links Castelat

http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarristaAD
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 19 2013 20:33:20

rombsix

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to rombsix

New and improved tutorial...

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2013 22:08:16

KMMI77

Hey Ramzi,

Did you notice the way he flattens the first finger to create a bar during the first chord? Also in this video he plays your chord at 2:18 on the second fret.

I also notice that he is playing with the a and m fingers together during the majority of the arpeggio, rather than dragging the a finger over two strings.

anyway, just small details.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 14 2013 22:37:37

rombsix

RE: New album by Vicente Amigo (in reply to KMMI77

Agreed Kris that he is flattening the finger. The D chord he does play on the second fret. I blame Paco Navarro for mixing my brain up on that one. I was playing it like Vicente in my earlier tutorial, but the image of Navarro got stuck in my brain and I copied his way. I agree also about the dragging versus m+a right hand technique. I did the tutorial without reviewing the video (especially the one you pointed out), and I also realize that the A chord I am playing in the middle of the fretboard is also not identical to the way Vicente does it. However, I am trying to be more of an "80-20 rule" kind of guy nowadays because after years of being quite anal and trying to come up with stuff "100% accurately", now I am realizing that that might not be the most cost-effective thing to do in regards to my time. If it would have taken me 20 minutes to review the video and get the voicings exactly like Vicente, I probably would have missed the chance of being able to put in 20 more minutes in preparing for Monday's work day by reading about my patients. I guess I'm starting to have to become less of a perfectionist and more of a realist. If the viewers of the video tutorial of mine get lost because of the differences (which likely they won't notice) we both recounted, that would be the least of my worries. Once someone starts paying me to make these tutorials, I'll go back to being as anal as I was in the past. And even then, I'm not sure I'll do what I used to try doing some years ago because this is music and this is life and this is flamenco and many-a-time the artists/composers themselves never give the same performance identically twice.

Cheers my friend, and thanks for the comments!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2013 0:44:07

KMMI77

quote:

The D chord he does play on the second fret. I blame Paco Navarro for mixing my brain up on that one.

I know what you mean. Jai and I have started playing a dou version of this tune together at gigs, And due to so many versions appearing, I have relearnt the chord progression three times now

I think it's great that you take time to make your videos. For sure your work has helped and inspired many guitarists. Keep doing what your doing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Apr. 15 2013 0:57:38
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post