Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Flamenco songs with electric guitar in them   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

tele

Flamenco songs with electric guitar ... 

I am really surprised how difficult it is to add electric guitar to flamenco song, yet I have heard some good ones that include electric guitar in them, such as "Bolero del amigo" by V.Amigo and some songs by Manolo Sanlucar(forgot the names).
Do you guys have any flamenco songs that include electric guitar(with good taste) in mind? If yes please share, I find it very interesting... And very challenging to excecute with taste, I guess that's why there are so few of them.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2013 23:05:30

Xavi

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to tele

Moraito's Morao Morao CD has some electric guitar in it, if I remember correctly.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2013 23:45:59

shaun

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Xavi

quote:

Moraito's Morao Morao CD has some electric guitar in it, if I remember correctly.

Yes, Guiriñaga Julián has some electric.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 0:13:51

Pimientito

quote:

Do you guys have any flamenco songs that include electric guitar(with good taste)

Rafael Riqueni has electric guitar on the end on Juego de niños. I have yet to hear any great electric guitar playing on a flamenco album yet though. Sanlucar and a few others did various fusions in the early 80's that for me really didn't work. Much of that music ranged from slightly cheesy to plain awful. They were trying to make flamenco more "hip" by adding electric guitars and drum kits.
Flamenco rock only really worked with the progressive Andalucian rock band "Triana" and they were certainly influential on flamenco musicians at the time. I think Triana worked because they were a flamenco influenced rock group rather than a rock influenced flamenco artist.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 13:52:11

Ruphus

Like Sabica´s dud with Jeff Beck. The album is gathering dust since then.

The genres need to really interact. When that actually comes true this blank page should be of terrific muscial potential to rock the house.

Easiest would probably be as suggested, implementing flamenco guitar into rock. But the other way round should work as well. Like taking palos rhythm sections and eventually leaving the one or other note out / putting in a break here or there until you here the rocker swaying ( I besides hear it rocking in all genres from classical music [ with the exception of opera, ... though some of Wagner comes in a bit like giant rock too ...] to even some of Asian stuff, as long as it only progresses ), then insert your rock guitar and leave gaps for the flamenco axe.

There should be left some fantastic niches in nowhereland.
I am right now envisioning some spiced up laid back musica in the way of grand master J.J. Cale. But southern vibe in the way of of Z.Z.Top or Lynyrd Skynyrd should enable some wonderful fusion plateau too.

And it wouldn´t have to stay all firmly routed ( - like in Santa Esmeralda´single example of disco that I ever liked). But could also morph into generated licks like say with the Eagles´Hotel California.

Anyway, huge musical potential where gitano could be meeting Mississipi or Mersey. And it is of the extremely scarce areas in the muscial universe that have not been fully grazed yet. Not as actual fusion for sure.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 15:13:04

Escribano

I don't have it to hand, but I am sure I remember some electric guitar on Bari by fusion group, Ojos De Brujo. Not bad.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6673866

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 15:37:06

Pimientito

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Escribano

Personally I would rather listen to a rock guitarists interpretation of Spanish music, like Brian May or Slash playing Spanish guitar than a guitarist like Manolo Sanlucar trying to play rock guitar. The Spanish solo in Queens "innuendo" is pretty cool I think. Even though the rock players never get the flamenco technique, they do get some of the Spanish sound. Flamenco players never really capture that rock sound though. It always sounds to me like the guitarist is trying too hard to be something else....

This is going to sound a bit harsh but Spanish rock bands hardly ever come close to their American or English counterparts. I think its partly the Spanish language but also the cultural differences too between northern Europeans and mediteranean people. I mean grunge rock, the beach boys and Motown could never have originated in Andalucia and there have been no Spanish rock bands that compare to Queen, Pink floyd, ACDC, Dire Straits, Van Halen etc. in terms of popularity or productivity.
Not to say that Greta y los garbos, Oreja de van Gogh, David Bisbal etc are not popular with Spanish or latin audiences, but its not the same. For me the flamenco is what the Spanish do better than anyone else and its really the unique voice of Southern Spain.
I much prefer to listen Raimundo Amador playing flamenco then blues.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 16:07:44

tele

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Pimientito

Guys, I mean flamenco music with electric guitar. With compas and everything else being flamenco. There are plenty of rockers playing phrygian scales and occasionally even imitating flamenco.

This is interesting but doesn't sound very good(on the electric part):

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 16:18:48

Leñador

quote:

This is going to sound a bit harsh but Spanish rock bands hardly ever come close to their American or English counterparts.

I think I would have to agree, It lacks some sort of edge. "Rock en Espanol" is big with a lot of my friends and in LA in general so I've heard a ton of it, and there's some decent songs here and there but when all is said and done I don't consider myself a fan.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 16:24:32

El Kiko

The best one is to look for PATA NEGRA ...great band for years that mixed blues and flamenco ,... they got some really excellent songs ......

also there is jaco abel, but he may not be to everyones taste.........

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 16:54:13

Ricardo

I am a bit of a purist. It's gotta to be high end intense flamenco guitar....or high level virtuoso metal. It could be done but not heard it yet. Ben Woods had the idea but too much of a metal guy first. I am not beyond exploring the idea, though it will be more for fun or a joke than serious arte. I can play jucal for example on electric with distortion palm muted basses and harmonic squeels. It almost works.

What I can't stand it the bluesy bends and pentatonic licks tossed into flamenco. Its about as flavorful to me as wet cardboard on bread.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 17:03:47

c

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Ricardo

http://www.walterrossi.net/son/7.wma

You made me think of this.. and I haven't thought of it for decades
amazingly I found it
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 18:28:50

Peter Tsiorba

Jaco Abel came to Portland, Oregon once. He plays electric flamenco with some seriously big name guys:

Peter Tsiorba
Classical-Flamenco-Guitars
tsiorba.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 18:37:23

Leñador

quote:

Jaco Abel came to Portland, Oregon once. He plays electric flamenco with some seriously big name guys:

That's pretty interesting, I bet Todd could pull off something similar to that.....

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 19:04:36

koenie17

Its not really flamenco.. but I love Enrique Morentes cd Omega!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 19:08:23

Adam

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to koenie17

quote:

ORIGINAL: koenie17

Its not really flamenco.. but I love Enrique Morentes cd Omega!

Yeah, this! And there is a bit of flamenco on there. But does it really matter? Fantastic album.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 19:25:40

Munin

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Peter Tsiorba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Tsiorba

While I kind of admire him for just doing his thing I feel it doesn't really work. He's just pretty much applying flamenco guitar 1:1 to electric, and it just comes off as wimpy and bland. Especially rasgueados.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 20:02:00

mezzo

Duquende' last album rompecabezas --- tangos herida consumida --- Raimundo Amador.

--- great tune --- psychedelic vibes ---

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 21:19:24

mezzo

Tomas de Perrate Band --- El del piyayo --- ...

--- jamaican touch ---

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 21:36:18

tele

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Munin

quote:

While I kind of admire him for just doing his thing I feel it doesn't really work. He's just pretty much applying flamenco guitar 1:1 to electric, and it just comes off as wimpy and bland. Especially rasgueados.

Yeah, kind of like thin flamenco. But someone's gotta do it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 23:39:51

Erik van Goch

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2dbzl_electric-guitar-vicente-amigo_creation#.UO2P8I7Sckg
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 14:46:58

tele

RE: Flamenco songs with electric gui... (in reply to Erik van Goch

Hah, that is bitchin'. I haven't ever seen anyone play electric with nails before, and I've tried it myself and it's very difficult. I have always appreciated players who can play more than one type of guitar well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 14:59:30

Erik van Goch

quote:

ORIGINAL: tele

Hah, that is bitchin'. I haven't ever seen anyone play electric with nails before, and I've tried it myself and it's very difficult. I have always appreciated players who can play more than one type of guitar well.

My brother plays electric guitar with nails only all the time (mainly using his thump and index finger for base and melody playing and the other fingers for in between rasgueado strokes)....quite often he sings and plays the drums simultaneously as well..... he's planning to posts a John Lennon band-cover in future (youtube refused to except the original JL recording as a background song for a home movie) playing all the instruments himself....so far the instrumental tracks sounds better than the original but he's not content with the vocals yet.

this is a random recording of him trying out some new toys.

Here is a recording of him performing with his girlfriend and her family....he's bluffing his way trough the "spanish guitar improvisations" (which are not really our thing) but you might like the main theme which actually would do very nice as a PDL or Vicente piece.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 16:40:18

Flamencito

quote:

I like this one
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 17:47:05

Andy Culpepper

quote:

This guy is a really good player but I'm a little confused why he doesn't just play on a flamenco guitar The tone he's using is about as close as you can get on an electric.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 23:30:11

kikkoman

myrddin deCauter has a rumba with electric guitar called Blues por tona
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 23:32:45

devilhand

Any suggestions for songs with flamenco guitar sound? I mean songs from other genres of music. It doesn't have to be (flamenco) guitar. It can be piano or other instruments. But no rumba strumming! I've found the following examples so far.

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - The Legend Of Xanadu at 0:00-0:15
https://youtu.be/rsExj_0IHEs

Bryan Adams - Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman at 0:00-0:09
https://youtu.be/hq2KgzKETBw

Backstreet Boys - The Call at 0:05-0:13
https://youtu.be/wMOkm57vu0k

ROSALÍA - Juro Que
https://youtu.be/mtym36PG6R8

Say No to Fuera de Compás!!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 13 2021 17:26:09
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: [1]