Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Kevin

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to estebanana

quote:

My argument is not really weak because pretty much everyone who plays baroque guitar and vihuela would look at it this way. And since baroque guitar is used in such a different way in the music than was vihuela. But even though the vihuela was made to play polyphony, it can be strummed a bit and in some places in the vihuela literature modern vihuela players throw it in.

quote:

The thing that makes it difficult to strum the vihuela, although not impossible, is double courses of strings. There were instruments which could be strummed or even played with a plectrum, they were not often written into late polyphony based compositions. But they existed and you can see them in the iconography from the late middle ages into the Renaissance.

So you refuted my post based on the idea that strummed chords were used before Amat but then you proceed to claim that the vihuelas were "made to play polyphony" and that vihuelists had difficulty strumming. Huh?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 4:18:56

estebanana

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to Kevin

quote:

So you refuted my post based on the idea that strummed chords were used before Amat but then you proceed to claim that the vihuelas were "made to play polyphony" and that vihuelists had difficulty strumming. Huh?

It's because there were also guitar at the same time and the four course guitar strums easier than the vihuela. Although according to Juan Bermudo they were interchangeable.

Strummed chords or stacked note constructions in polyphony could be strummed, but not always. My thinking about strumming is not based in the formal entabulations of Josquin and such, but in the street/ tavern musics that we don't know that much about Writers at the time Bermudo for example elude to lower classes that played more crudely and not in the fine high manner of the vihuelists. The guitar was a simplified version and have more latitude about how you could play it.

The idea that there was strict polyphony and strumming at the same time should not be odd, it's like saying there is symphonic violin playing and country fiddle playing at the same time. Plus plectrum played instruments like citterns. People act like Renaissance music is all in one groove, it's just not so.

Juan Bermudo's 'On playing the Vihuela' published in Osuna in 1550- he gives a hint here or there, but I forget the several other citations at the moment for a stratified class approach to music playing.

The other thing you could do it take vihuela lessons like I did for six months. The over under thumb fore finger lute technique makes you rethink Renaissance music because it take it out of the abstract. Learning to produce sound on the vihuela or lute helps you to conceptualize what may have been possible. Making a good sound on lute or the vihuela is not that easy, but it is a window into the past. After that you get how each progression or iteration of the guitar works to end up at the Torres guitar. It makes sense via technical and musical advances. Most of which in string music were driven by the quality of the strings themselves. None of it is easy to explain an it all has a lot of components.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 4:43:51

KMMI77

Interesting theories and ideas here. But, I'd say any apparent conclusions related to this subject will always remain stifled by the old saying, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 5:02:34

Kevin

quote:

People act like Renaissance music is all in one groove, it's just not so.
Not me. I'm there with you. I would just like the smoking gun or an admission.

On that note, there is no linear progression from modality to tonality, Renaissance to Baroque/Classical. Instead there are many practices concurrently that we now go back and give labels to in order to make sense of what happened. Same goes for much scholarship.

quote:

None of it is easy to explain an it all has a lot of components.

Agreed. As I mentioned, I was trying to put flamenco in the context of strummed Spanish guitar for which we have empirical evidence. There is still a lot of speculation and interpretation but it is one partial perspective.

Bermudo says interesting things and Covarrubias (1611) also puts them in print. Stable boys were the brunt of many complaints by Covarrubias and the Chacon and Fandango were dances that were considered lewd and lascivious by the "upper" class.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 5:58:24

kudo

this kind of discussion will go forever....

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 14:08:02

Ricardo

quote:

El Planeta (1795-?) does not count because we do not know what his seguiriya sounded like and he was playing with pandereta and other instruments in something much more like an ensemble than a cuadro.

If he doesn't count than who was the definitive first flamenco guitarist? You don't know what his siguiriyas SOUNDED like....nor anyone else's before the first wax cylinder... it's all speculative.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 14:19:04

Miguel de Maria

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Hey Richard, did you poach this vid from my RMCG thread! No one there commented on it, I think it's great!

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 15:29:43

Kevin

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to kudo

quote:

Kind of like the "American Freedom" thread you mean???

quote:

If he doesn't count than who was the definitive first flamenco guitarist? You don't know what his siguiriyas SOUNDED like....nor anyone else's before the first wax cylinder... it's all speculative.

Trying to unravel history is trying to find a balance between empirical evidence and speculation. Sometimes you have to speculate to propel enquiry further. Other times you need to support your argument with original and existent research. Hurtado Torres and many others agree that Planeta was from the proto-flamenco era. I agree with them because I have found nothing to suggest otherwise. Also remember that there are many anecdotes of early flamencos who "recreated" lost cantes. We know that there is no direct connection because they told us.

One problem with excluding Planeta is that the next generation produced a bunch of guitarists. Did Planeta single-handedly invent the seguiriya? Or do we assume the seguiriya enjoyed a widespread existence and this next generation ran with it? Why do we not have more evidence for Planeta's contemporaries? Then we run into the problem of coming up with the criteria for making such a judgment. If not Planeta, then who? El Murciano precedes Planeta. Was the music he played flamenco? Is it worth speculating to propel investigation? If El Murciano was the first, he had to learn from somewhere. Why not his teachers or his teacher's teachers, or why not Foscarini? If I didn't argue my position well, ok? But the rasgueado treatises are many and Foscarini stands out in them (I wouldn't call him flamenco, but I would call him a very salient figure in the history of the Spanish guitar).

Here is Christensen's article. He does not say anything about Foscarini. For that you would have to read the out-of-print book by Hudson. However, you will get a feel for how much different this tradition is than the late Renaissance material even though I think it existed before Amat.
http://theguitar-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Spanish-Baroque-Guitar-and-Seventeenth-Century-Triadic-Theory.pdf

Oh yeah, Christensen gives props to guitarists for some developments in the evolution of tonality.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 15:52:03

Kevin

Stephen, I have read about Bermudo because a few people cite him but it is amazing what you can find on the net these days.

http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/9/92/IMSLP122404-PMLP244417-bermudo_declaracion_1555.PDF
The original (hard to read).
http://ifc.dpz.es/recursos/publicaciones/25/26/_ebook.pdf
Thanks for that. Let's see what this is about.

http://www.lgv-pub.com/Essays/Fink_-_Tuning_paper.pdf
The author of this article suggests that the last polyphonic work to be published was Fuenllana in 1554. Bermudo calls strummed guitar musica golpeada around mid-century so the strummed style possibly existed about forty years before Amat's treatise.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 16:51:47

Ramon Amira

I would love to see this thread transplanted to Delcamp classical forum. Bet you would get some interesting input there.

Ramon

Classical and flamenco guitars from Spain Ramon Amira Guitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 19:49:43

estebanana

I think this is a totally different kind of thread that the unmentionable one that was closed in Off Topic. This is about music for one thing, and it's not about accusing others on a music foro of mass murder, which in my opinion caused undue disharmony and was totally inappropriate for this format.

This thread may be a little rocky, but it is friendly, it somewhat challenges each to make the point. It is brisk exchange. Fine as long as it does not get personal and icky, brisk question and answer can be good.

It serves to expand the flamenco topic and give information and sources about what came before flamenco, so it is in my view constructive. Not everyone is interested in what came before flamenco, most of the time I am not. I am interested in music and how European classical music developed, and if there are intersections between flamenco and early classical that you want to delve into no harm done.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 30 2012 22:05:35

Flamencito

quote:

quote:

Kind of like the "American Freedom" thread you mean???

This one doesn't belong in the off-topic section though
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 1:21:59

estebanana

quote:

The author of this article suggests that the last polyphonic work to be published was Fuenllana in 1554. Bermudo calls strummed guitar musica golpeada around mid-century so the strummed style possibly existed about forty years before Amat's treatise.

In my opinion Bermudo was more of an authority than Amat. Bermudo was a very learned man and way ahead of this time. Bermudo expressed that he favored equal temperament over various other scale tempering systems like Gerle, half comma, whatever in 1550...ok it took the rest of Europe 300 more years to fully embrace that idea.

He also reported on the strumming of the guitar in his 1550 treatise On Playing the Vihuela, so I doubt he was talking out of speculation, he had been there and seen it. And if he mentioned it in 1550 it must have been around for some time before that so that the technique had a history and was therefore worth noting.

So anyway, I'm not being weird, but when you said categorically Renaissance players did not strum they plucked....that seems to petty right, to call you out on that, but it is a big deal in understanding early music.

As far as Fuenllana being the last one to compose with polyphony or entabulate for vihuela I think that is not quite true or an absolute. There is a slippery slope, at least for me, between species counterpoint and older vocal polyphony and they way it all developed into continuo and baroque counterpoint. There were vihuela playing hold overs into the very beginning of the 17th century, but by that time it had already bloomed and faded away. others have said by about 1585 it was done. I think calling the vihuela game as early as 1554 is premature.

Another thing to understand as you read Bermudo is that entabulation is not a composition method or style per se, it is basically a method of arranging pre existing polyphonic compositions to be played on a vihuela. That is why Bermudo goes into great detail on how to construct this or that vihuela stringing and tuning.

To back up, those of you who don't know what vocal polyphony is should get a leg up on what we're talking about. Vocal polyphony is a kind of composition written in parts that is sung by a group. It comes out of late middle ages church music and has roots in older music like Byzantine chant. ( which can be quite modern sounding and dissonant).

What the vihuela players were doing when they entabulated a piece of vocal polyphony is they arranged these vocal parts, usually four or five, but sometimes two or three, to be played by one person on the vihuela. In the late 1400 to mid 1500's this was a practice that was in vouge in the courts of Spain and Italy and in any houses where the owners had enough money to engage in advanced music training. Juana la Loca one of the royal family of Spain in the late 1400's was said to have only been at peace when she listened her vihuelist play. The music was often taken from liturgical music that was Christian and much of it came from Northern composers from Holland.

So Bermudo spends most of his treatise explaining how to arrange this music taking it from vocal lines sung by four persons and basically compressing it so the separate voices can be played by one person on one instrument. So that is what is so compelling about the vihuela because it was one of the first instruments, along with Renaissance lute, in which a single person could play multiple harmonized lines of music. There were books of entabulations compiled by different vihulelists and these could be purchased by those with enough money. They were really the jazz fake books of the day. However it was costly past time and usually only the rich engaged in this form of music as far as we know to date.

The excitement that one could play all these vocal lines at once by ones self is the kind of excitement that spurred Beethoven a few hundred years later to say of the guitar in Fernando Sor's era that it was like "a little orchestra of its own". This idea of a self contained little orchestra was realized in the vihuela and that is why it's important in the development of the guitar.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 1:40:47

estebanana

I think I have found an example of vocal polyphony and a vihuela entabulation based on that composition so you can hear the idea. Here is a vihuela entabulation by Fuenllana, the piece is by Josquin des Prez:

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 2:04:39

estebanana

Here is the piece by Josquin that Fuenllana used, I'm looking through the score to find the exact spot he arranged. The example given on vihuela is the Benedictus section of Josquin's work.

EDIT this part of the mass is too short, it ends before it gets to the part Fuenllana used. But it is very nice example of high vocal polyphony. The next video down has the whole mass and I noted where i think the part Fuenllana took begins. I was hoping to get the score and the music, but it's difficult to use youtube to match up these pieces.

I hope you get the idea of taking vocal music and distilling it to a vihuela.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 2:08:19

estebanana

As near as I can tell the Benedictus section begins at 14:18 mins. I could be wrong, but it is close enough to get an idea of what the original music sounded like before being entabulated on vihuela.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 2:29:28

estebanana

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Dec. 31 2012 2:34:10
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 2:33:52

Kevin

Josquin Des Prez "Mille Regretz"

Luis de Narvaez Intabulation of Josquin's work

I am listening to the stuff you posted but I feel like the Renaissance practice of intabulation was more often like this. Some plucked chords with melodic lines that might have been improvised.

http://www.yatesguitar.com/TranscribersArt/Article51-Josquin.pdf
Here is an interesting article on transcribing from vocal polyphony.

http://www.lavihuela.com/Vihuela/My_publications_files/GRIFFITHS%201997%20Vihuela%20performance.pdf
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/publications/J/1989/JLSA-22-01-1989-Griffiths-vihuela.pdf
A little bit of performance practice discussion in these two articles.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 2:54:31

estebanana

quote:

I am listening to the stuff you posted but I feel like the Renaissance practice of intabulation was more often like this. Some plucked chords with melodic lines that might have been improvised.

That was the art of it, each vihuela player who intabulated, ( I spelled it i(e)ncorreclty for 30 posts, in Spanish I think it it begins with an e) had a different approach to how they transcribed the work.

Narvaez is more noodly and scalar while later Fuenllana is more blocky and chord like. Mudarra, Milan and Narvaez have an earlier style and late vihuela is more Fuenllana and Daza. The decadent late stylists, ha ha.. that's a joke.

Oddly enough the earlier style is more flamenco like. If you wan to get totally silly about it the early style of Narvaez is more like Nino Ricardo and later Fuenllana is more like some one who throws in a bunch of jazzy chords. Not really, but it frames it in terms of early and late ideas of intabulation arrangements.

There was a stylistic progression from early 16th century to around 1580's...MIlan published in 1530's Fuenllana in 1554. about 25 years elapsed between them. There were changes in that time period. Narvaez and Mudarra sit between them.

Most people seem to think while Fuenllana was elegant, sophisticated and fully developed, Narvaez was more meaty and gutsy. But at the same time Narvaez feels like improvisation he is in full control of super beautiful counterpoint.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 4:09:30

Ricardo

Ok you guys keep tossing out bunch of different dates in 1500's about vihuelas and polyphony and I am kind of lost. Can one of you guys make a clear timeline from say 1492 on through baroque and classical periods with a clear thread that links up to some flamenco player in the 1800's? I am talking more instrument wise than cante.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 15:34:28

Pimientito

quote:

Narvaez is more noodly and scalar while later Fuenllana is more blocky and chord like

Ha ha...actually I've just been learning some music from this period. There were three types of vihuela, one played with a pick (or a quill) another with a bow (similiar to the viola de Gamba) and another played by hand (the vihuela a mano)
Luis de Narveaz was from Granada and although we consider it "classical" today it was pop music of his day and was sung and played by ordinary folk as opposed to music that had been commissioned by the church. Some of his pieces actually got censored like "el rey moro" because the lyrics caused petty fights between Christians and Arabs.

Im not sure where you got the idea that Vihuelas werent strummed. Maybe there is no written melodic score with strumming but string instruments such as vihuela provide the rhythmic background for forms such as folias de España as well as many dances or the early renaissance.
Jordi Savall is my favorite interpreter of music from this period (and his gorgeous daughter playing harp) Check out his vihuela backing here (4.34 and 6.30)

Ricardos question must be one of the trickiest asked for a while on the forum.
Starting from the fall of Granada in 1492, we have Luys de Narveaz as a leading vihuelist from the early 1500s. Dont forget that there also be both Arabic and European lute players on the scene influencing the composition style.
The baroque guitar (1600 -1750) with 5 courses of 9 or 10 strings and moveable gut frets is examplified by Gaspar Sanz
The romantic guitar develops in the 1790s with leading exponents to Carulli and Sor.
Modern guitar invented around 1850. Julian Arcas (1830 - 1882) first modern guitar composer. Classical techniques such as tremelo adopted by Ramon Montoya (1880 - 1949) to become first flamenco soloist.

Many huge gaps on route here to fill in.........

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 17:25:43

Kevin

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Im not sure where you got the idea that Vihuelas werent strummed. Maybe there is no written melodic score with strumming but string instruments such as vihuela provide the rhythmic background for forms such as folias de España as well as many dances or the early renaissance.
Jordi Savall is my favorite interpreter of music from this period (and his gorgeous daughter playing harp) Check out his vihuela backing here (4.34 and 6.30)

Hi. What I said is that Amat is the earliest evidence for both chordal and strummed accompaniment. I conceded that the practice preceded Amat but we have no evidence any earlier.

@Ricardo:
1492??
I would say
Renaissance
Milan: 1536
Narvaez: 1538
Mudarra: 1546
Fuenllana: 1554
Daza: 1576
Baroque
Amat: 1596
Montesardo: 1606
Sanseverino
Millioni
Sanz: 1674
De Murcia: 1732
Bridge to Classical
Fernandiere
Classical
Carcassi, Carulli, etc.
Pre-flamenco
Murciano, Planeta

The strummed style stretches from roughly 1596 (although probably already in existence, we do not know exactly to what extent yet) to 1732. Foscarini stands out as the composer who united rasgueado and punteado styles (within the rasgueado literature according to Hudson, Pennington, etc). The mixed style culminated in the works of de Murcia (again, according to Hudson) in 1732.

Murciano was born in 1795. There is unfortunately no direct connection from de murcia to to el Murciano as there is an 80 year split. They do both play fandangos. Other than that the connections are sparse. Murciano is considered the "cream" of the pre-flamenco era, perhaps more important than planeta (as a guitarist anyway).

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 19:53:01

estebanana

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Lislevand is not playing Vihuela in this piece, he's playing baroque guitar. But this piece is an example of what I as talking about much earier in the conversation. It's not Renaissance polyphony, it's based in rhythmic cells and modal melody lines and it probably really late Renaissance to early 17th century.

Just to say it once more, I'm not trying to connect flamenco to these earlier forms. I'm simply talking about these forms an trying to parse out what some of it means an how it worked. Ricardo is kind of taking the piss out when he asks that quesiton because he knows full well that I know that he knows, that I know, that he knows there is no linear and literal answer.

I'll dare say also that when I cited Juan Bermudo, I did not have to go look him up on the internet. I merely reached up above the computer and pulled down my copy De Tan˜er Vihuela published in Osuna in 1550 that has been there for more than 15 years.

So there.

I'm just saying I researched fairly deeply into this material over a period of years and it began as a quest to find the origins of the guitar starting for me in the early 1980's. I read all the book available about the history of classical guitar and they all pointed back to the famous Andre' Jacquemart Vihuela as the only extant instrument that could be called a vihuela. Eventually through the years I made contacts and found articles, because it was still and area about which very little was known, and gleaned little by little what this vihulea stuff was all about. Sometime in the late 1990's I found a lute maker who had been making historical reproductions of the vihuela based on all the current research and iconographic evidence. He taught all the requisite details and gave me all the points to research to understand how to think about building historical reproductions fro this time period.

Eventually I dropped out of the whole flamenco scene for 6 or 8 months and spent all my free time researching this Renaissance stuff in the UC Berkeley music library and making trips to see the lute maker to talk about what I found. He did not really spoon feed the information he made me go out an get it and then we talked about it.

I ended up making three vihuelas, studying the vihuela and making a renaissance guitar. Which isn't much really, but it did serve to give me an insight to how people like Rolf Lislevand perform. Eventually I got sucked back into flamenco and the guys asked me where I had been all those months. I started talking about the vihuela and their eyes glazed over as if I were talking about how to make Venetian blinds out of recycled milk cartons.

But it was much more than a side trip, I stayed on reading and listening in secret. The Renaissance is really more complicated and variable from year to year in styles and regions. It's as contradictory and complex as any other period in music. Two things existed at the same time for different reasons. One of those things was plucking and strumming. But each fits into highly specialized areas. What started this off was that Kevin said in kind of sweeping gestural statement that renaissance players did not strum, they plucked. They also did not have "chords". Both of those statements has two sides or more, because depending on the instrumentation and the music plucking or strumming may be a better way to play it.

I'm pretty sure when Kevin said categorically that there was only plucking and no strumming, I think he knew that there was some strumming, but was using hyberbole to make a point about the main thrust of Renaissance music as not having the simplified chord charts in Amats book. So the whole thing was really about two music nerds prodding one another over a very selective and minor point about when and where strumming and plucking occurred in the Quatro Cento.

If Kevin was trying to make any connection between Flamenco and Vihuela or Amat I totally distance myself from those claims. I distance myself on the grounds that I am innocent of any Crimes Against Flamenco and demand to be held innocent until proven guilty before a qualified jury of non guitar playing peers.

When I was in college we had one terrible teacher who had reputation for a temper. Dr. Saylor. Saylor was a very smart guy, he studied music in the best East Coast conservatories and in India and Europe. But he had his lighter side too. He was an expert on Bach. He knew so much about Bach that the joke in the music dept. was that Dr. Saylor could tell you the dates and times Bach went to the bathroom.

If only Dr. Saylor were here to tell us when precisely the first chord in flamenco was sounded and what that guitarist ate as a tapa with his beer after the show.

Happy New Year

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 20:41:03

estebanana

I just like to listen to the vihuela, but here you can see a good example of the right hand technique used to play the vihuela. It will strum, but generally they don't do it because it does not engage the string as well as this 'under over' thumb and forefinger scale runs he uses.

After scholars and early instrument makers began to seriously reconstruct these instruments accurately what they found is that modern guitar technique is exactly the opposite of the way you get them to sound. They used paintings of players from the time period and studied the hand positions. After they had made vihuelas and lutes with light tops and strung them the way they would have been in the period it became evident that this under handed technique was what made them work, not a modern technique or strumming to any great extent. There were other instruments that could be strummed, but when playing the majority of the vihuela literature the technique seen in the video was how it worked.

Also no finger nails engage the strings. The doubled courses have to be released at the same time to make the sound work right. Two strings tuned in octaves or in unison are touched by the finger tip at the same time and released at the same time. If you release one before the other it chokes out the unreleased string. it's not as easy as is sounds a takes a lot of practice to get the instrument to "bloom" as the lutenists say.

If you dig into it remember a few years ago Sting made a CD of Elizabethan Lutes songs of John Dowland? I really like that he did that, I thought that was really cool even though a lot of stuffy early music people dismissed him. Well he learned to play the lute for that and he plays with this lutenist on the CD, I can't remember his name, but he is good lute player. If you search for the live performance video on You Tube you can see Sting and this guy both playing lutes at the same time. The professional lute player has a great sound and he makes the lute full and lush, but Stings sound is not so good because he forces the lute too much. You can hear the Sting 'crunching' on the strings, which is what lute players do not want.

When you strum a vihuela or lute too forcefully or can't release the two strings simultaneously you get a crunching sound. This guy in the video below does not crunch.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 21:11:02

Kevin

quote:

Just to say it once more, I'm not trying to connect flamenco to these earlier forms. I'm simply talking about these forms an trying to parse out what some of it means an how it worked. Ricardo is kind of taking the piss out when he asks that quesiton because he knows full well that I know that he knows, that I know, that he knows there is no linear and literal answer.

There are many linear as well as many "branched" answers and that is the whole point of scholarship; to try to disentangle these threads as new evidence/facts comes to light.

quote:

I'll dare say also that when I cited Juan Bermudo, I did not have to go look him up on the internet. I merely reached up above the computer and pulled down my copy De Tan˜er Vihuela published in Osuna in 1550 that has been there for more than 15 years.

So there.

Same for me except my sources are books by Amat and Hudson that I own as well as extensive time with Sanz and de Murcia and also several other primary and secondary sources including the ones I listed. This is why our perspectives are so different. You "know" Renaissance sources while I "know" Baroque sources that focus on the rasgueado style.

En garde.

quote:

I started talking about the vihuela and their eyes glazed over as if I were talking about how to make Venetian blinds out of recycled milk cartons.

I am glad you know this stuff because I have the same problem. People's eyes glaze over or they change the subject. I love the guitar in all its forms but happen to have limited my focus to flamenco with a few classical pieces (so that degree doesn't go to waste lol).

quote:

The Renaissance is really more complicated and variable from year to year in styles and regions. It's as contradictory and complex as any other period in music. Two things existed at the same time for different reasons. One of those things was plucking and strumming. But each fits into highly specialized areas.

Agreed. Same goes for Baroque, or the cafe cantante flamenco period, or the nuevo or modern flamenco movement.

quote:

I'm pretty sure when Kevin said categorically that there was only plucking and no strumming, I think he knew that there was some strumming, but was using hyberbole to make a point about the main thrust of Renaissance music as not having the simplified chord charts in Amats book. So the whole thing was really about two music nerds prodding one another over a very selective and minor point about when and where strumming and plucking occurred in the Quatro Cento.

Nice summary.

One final note on Ricardo's question and your commentary on it. Although there is no evidence for a direct lineage, I think that it is safe to say that if you take the Rennaissance, the Baroque, or even someone like Arcas or Llobet out of the equation, flamenco guitar as we know it would not exist as it does. I think that that is a safe conclusion. So there is a linear descent, we just have not unraveled all the details. Perhaps we never will and we should just shut up and practice. However, I for one do find guitar history very interesting.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 21:30:35

Kevin

The Arabic Influence - Great Grand... (in reply to estebanana

So Stephen, you mentioned the Arabic influence as well as North African influences. You wanna take the discussion in that direction. The same problems that Ricardo acknowledges obtain. We know there is an influence but where does it come from? Can we trace it? My vote goes to either Sephardic or Arabic laments (as one but by no means the only source for the seguiriya and solea). There is a tradition of lament in the mediterranean that has been explored by scholars in other fields but it is ignored musicologically/ethnomusicologically.

The kharja and villancicos often have lament as a key topic of the letras. So do Fado, seguiriya, and solea.

Also, many people have commented on the similarity of alzapua to the use of the plectrum in oud playing.

The Arabic majlis also shares much in common with the flamenco juerga.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 21:39:48

Leñador

I want a vihuela, what is it 10 strings 5 course? Theres a mexican vihuela but it doesn't sound as nice.......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 21:45:02

estebanana

RE: The Arabic Influence - Great G... (in reply to Kevin

quote:

So Stephen, you mentioned the Arabic influence as well as North African influences.

Bypass that and get off the well worn path. I would take it directly to Equatorial Africa. But first I would read Robert Ferris-Thompson's book 'Flash of the Spirit' which is about Yoruba culture being transported to the New World via the slave trade. If you go to Ferris-Thompson first he goes into how African music arrived in the Carribean. But I don't like to do that because in general it makes flamencos uneasy to have to link Central African culture to flamenco. It's too big a leap and it always ends up in sloppy fights. However after some one has said to me that it is bullcrap, they read it and later fess up that it makes sense because it is a part of the Ida e Vuelta phenomenon. Yoruba music is a big part of the basis of Carribean music, which in turn helped shape Ida e Vuelta cante's.

But go there yourself and see what you find. Reading about how Yoruba culture helps round out how Central African drumming got to the New World. And maybe Rumba comes from that? There are also some structural things in the way Yoruba ceremonies are performed that has had an influence on the blues performance. Yoruba ceremonies begin with a 'calling in of the spirit' a vocalization like the vocalization in the beginnings of blues songs and flamenco songs. It can be coincidence for sure and probably is, but is serves to show how many of these musics have commonalities that go way back to before music was written down.

The opening vocalizations of muzzen's call or Yoruba priest, blues singer and finally flamenco singer all have a relationship. It many not be a linear relationship that helps point to how flamenco is structured or how it came to be, but it is really interesting to muse over. I think of it as a human mystery rather than a puzzle part in the flamenco story.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 22:18:19

estebanana

RE: Great Grand Daddy of Flamenco (in reply to Leñador

quote:

I want a vihuela, what is it 10 strings 5 course? Theres a mexican vihuela but it doesn't sound as nice.......

I can construct one for you and they are not as expensive as flamenco guitars.

They have six doubled courses or sometimes seven. They are usually in the key of 'G' with string length of 60 cm. They are tuned G-C-F-a-d-g.

There are bigger one and smaller ones; it's possible to make one in A and a lower bass vihuela in F# or even F. The reason they are lower or higher is to accompany lower or higher ranged singers and you have more latitude to arrange the song in lower positions instead of taking the vihuela in G into higher positions. Think flamenco singers and putting the cejilla at different frets for different ranges, only in the vihuela days they did use different sized vihuelas when pencils and rubber bands were not available to make capos on the fly.

To make a guitar into Vihuela or Renaissance Lute tuning put the cejilla on the third fret ands lower the treble 'g' string one half step. Move the cejilla to the fifth fret and you have a vihuela in A, move it to the first fret and you have a vihuela in F, and so on.

If you do that and get the vihuela music in tabulature from the facsimile books of the vihuela payers like Narvaez you can get an idea of what they were doing in the 1500's. Only on modern guitar the technique will be totally different and the sound will be modern. It will not sound like that vihuela in the video. You can also find free vihuela music tabs modern tabulature on the internet.

So capo up to the third fret, lower the 'g string a half step, google search on vihuela tabs and go for it.

Bear in mind if you want to play an actual historical reconstruction of a vihuela or lute you really have to cut your nails. Unless you want to play therobo, which uses the nails a bit. See Renaissance music is very kinky.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 22:45:25

Leñador

Awesome thanks! Imma give that a go. Too broke to commission one now but it'll be cool to get started, gimme a couple months and I'll post something.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 31 2012 23:21:36
Page:   <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   1 [2] 3 4    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote