Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

Some music that expresses sorrow to you.   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

Some music that expresses sorrow to you. 

I don't want to talk about why, but this piece by Olivier Messiaen is a music I go to. Composed in the 1940's, under an adverse situation. It's part of a piece he wrote called the Quartet for the End of Time.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 1:08:53

Anders Eliasson

RE: Some music that expresses sorrow... (in reply to estebanana

Its been a favorite piece of mine for 30 years and I still listen to it sometimes.

If you ever get the chance to hear tthis quartet live... Do it. its so intense and I found it impossible not to cry. Funny how strong unisone playing can be. Maybe because we never hear it, but in this quartet, some of pieces are unisone. Also I like that not all instruments can be heard at a time.
This with sorrow it expresses, also has to do with the background story which is very strong. Why does the cello only play 3 strings?

Another wonderfull composition for living sorrow (I´m in that these days/month/years) is Shostakovitch 15th symphony. Its very different. Very introvert. Its fantastic to hear a symphony orchestra playing introvert.
One of the things I would like to do in my life is to hear this symphony live. But its very seldom being played.

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 8:17:22

estebanana

I first heard this about the same time you did. My cello teacher at the time in high school had studied with William Pleeth the English cellist in the late 1950's and he had been part of a newly released recording of this in about 1979. [edit below]

My teacher had to go fix her daughter a sandwich for lunch and she sat me next to the record player and put the Pleeth recording on and put the score in my hands. My sonic world opened up at that moment and it's never been the same. Hearing that prompted me to search through twentieth century music.

Anyone else interested should just discover the details of how it was written. I don't really want to go into it. Technically, compositionally I am with you on the unison passages. The only other thing I would add is that Messiaen at that time took melodies from bird songs and incorporated them as thematic material in this compositions.

I also like Shostakovich in these times. I like the 8th string quartet, the first cello concerto and the 'Leningrad' Symphony. But Shostakovich is vast, he composed so much it is hard to pick a few.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 20:33:46

Ricardo

CHeesey 80's pop metal...sadly relevant at all times:

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 20:34:51

estebanana

I just looked up the Pleeth recording, is from 1968, how memory plays tricks.

You can hear it on this page by clicking the arrow in front of cut #5. It is to me is the best ever recording of this piece. It's amazing, transformative.

I did not become a professional cellist, but I am so lucky to have had Catherine Graff as my teacher. She showed me a universe.

http://www.allmusic.com/performance/5-louange-%C3%A0-l%C3ternit%C3%A9-de-j%C3%A9sus-mq0001259288

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 20:42:37

Miguel de Maria

That is beautiful, Stephen. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

This one always gets me:

Letra:
http://www.mercedessosa.com.ar/cancionero/letras/alfonsina.htm

En ingles:
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/alfonsina-y-el-mar-alfonsina-and-sea.html

Connect with me on Facebook, all the cool kids are doing it.
https://www.facebook.com/migueldemariaZ

Arizona Wedding Music Guitar
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 21:20:02

El Kiko

I didnt expect the name of Olivier Messiaen to come up here on the flamenco site ...

He was one of the composers we studied a bit more 'in depth ' when i was at music college , and of course this was one of the pieces , a very famous piece , and his life at that time , and the end of time and everything that went with it ,.
Although I dont have this one i do have some of his organ music somewhere , i remember the one with the Angels etc...

Its especially difficult to separate his music from his life , i think , One side gives you an insight into the other , both ways ......

Maybe it says something about you too Stephen .......

Don't trust Atoms.....they make up everything.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 18 2012 23:24:07

shaun

Leonard Cohen. I don't know if he's ever cheerful.

http://youtu.be/k9GVk3AclEM
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 19 2012 2:25:58

machopicasso

Two pieces by Shostakovich, both of which are supposedly grounded in his own sorrow.

The third movement of the Fifth Symphony (the first 3:30, in particular):

In 1936, Shostakovich's opera, "Lady MacBeth," was an international sensation. Until Joseph Stalin attended a performance of it. Within a few days, Stalin had condemned the piece; performers were arrested; subsequent performances were shut down. 1936 was the beginning of the "Great Purge" in Soviet history. The Fifth Symphony was Shostakovich's response to both Stalin's denunciation and the mass executions of the Great Purge.

The first movement of the 8th string quartet (i.e. up until 4:30):

In 1960, Shostakovich was allegedly blackmailed into joining the communist party. It's been said that, as a result of this, Shostakovich was suicidal and composed the 8th string quartet in a mere three days. At the time, Shostakovich supposedly told a friend, "I started thinking that if some day I die, nobody is likely to write a work in memory of me, so I had better write one myself." The first four notes played by the cello ("D-S-C-H" in German notation) were Shostakovich's way of referring to himself.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 9:59:19

guitarbuddha

The slow movement from Bachs concerto for two violins, and the Allemande in Dm from solo violin Partita. Helen Merrill singin 'Whats New', Nina Simone singing 'Ne Me Quite Pas'.

Funny thing is that as moving I have found these , and at some times in my life listening to them has been a real challenge, I can kind of handle them. But I have yet to get all the way through accompanying myself singing Don Macleans Vincent without bursting into tears and turning into a gibbering wreck, im lucky if i get through two verses.

Singing is dangerous.

D.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 10:20:17

guitarbuddha

RE: Some music that expresses sorrow... (in reply to guitarbuddha

Weird !!!!! Just now Dawn French chose a version of Ne Me Quite Pas on desert Island Disks and I sat flint faced and appalled. Tastes vary I suppose....even when it seems that they don't.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 10:42:17

Escribano

Cheer up guys, 'tis the Season! Just for a couple of days, anyway.

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 10:52:10

Doitsujin

no sentimental posts during christmas

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 12:38:49

Escribano

RE: Some music that expresses sorrow... (in reply to Doitsujin

quote:

no sentimental posts during christmas

Enough with the whingeing already!

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 14:47:19

Mordorito

Thanks for posting this, as it seriously just might be the most hauntingly beautiful song I have ever heard...
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 17:36:28

estebanana

I know it seems like a downer, but for me the Shostakovich and Messiean actually cheer me up after I listen to it. Oddlly enough I find lots of upbeat music depressing.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 23 2012 22:36:44

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I know it seems like a downer, but for me the Shostakovich and Messiean actually cheer me up after I listen to it. Oddlly enough I find lots of upbeat music depressing.

I follow. To me it makes me live, contemplate and then after accept my own sorrow. And I end up feeling better.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 24 2012 7:37:19

Anders Eliasson

RE: Some music that expresses sorrow... (in reply to machopicasso

quote:

Two pieces by Shostakovich, both of which are supposedly grounded in his own sorrow.

Absolutely wonderfull.
I´ve listened to Shostakovitch for more than 3 decades and I will continue untill the end. Its not something I do every day, but once a week or so. I consider him the most important composer in the 20th century and top 5 of all classical music composers. He has a fantastic capacity of being very introvert and then take that out into despair... Live it out.
The problem is that there´s also a lot of crap.
I general, his chamber music is very good. The conciertos as well, The symphonies are more so so. And then there´s all the crap he had to compose in order to stay alive. If not, Stalin would have send him to Siberia... (and its not a joke)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 24 2012 7:44:41
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote