Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photography by "JuanDaBomb"   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

estebanana

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to JuanDaBomb

Someone following this thread wrote to me on Dec. 17th. I replied, but your email is not being delivered and bouncing back to me. If you catch this try again and I will also resend my original reply thanks.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Dec. 21 2012 20:19:32

El Burdo

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to estebanana

このバナナ - Unless I am mistaken, which is pretty likely, have you routed completely through the top of the cedar soundboard into the plate behind to hold the rosette? It seems quite extreme (but only because I haven't seen it before). Is it because you need extra support? I guess you can't do it with the spruce tops unless you fit a plate across the hole (as I was taught to do on a classical course once upon a time, for strength, countouring it away to the lip of the soundhole. That doesn't seem to be possible following the Santos Hernandez drawing I have, and looking at your spruce top). I am interested because I have come very near sanding through the rosette and removing all wood apart from the glue behind so deepening the rosette is an attractive option, as is just doing it right in the first place of course....

The guitar sounds quite different, all shellac-ed up in Jason's hands and, technique and material apart, it sounds fantastic.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2013 12:40:51

Ricardo

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to El Burdo

It's the way he makes rosettes I think. Why he just won't use a sticker I don't understand.

Those pics are pretty juicy, I want one of these guitars now. How much these days?

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 6 2013 20:22:23

El Burdo

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to Ricardo

I think that's outrageous Ricardo. Using a sticker would be insulting when there are plenty of felt tip pens out there!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2013 13:55:22

Anders Eliasson

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2013 14:10:50

estebanana

quote:

Unless I am mistaken, which is pretty likely, have you routed completely through the top of the cedar soundboard into the plate behind to hold the rosette?That doesn't seem to be possible following the Santos Hernandez drawing I have, and looking at your spruce top). I am interested because I have come very near sanding through the rosette and removing all wood apart from the glue behind so deepening the rosette is an attractive option, as is just doing it right in the first place of course....

I either did not tighten the router depth adjustment tight enough or forgot to change it to a shallower depth after cutting a soundhole, but that was a mistake. I made a few inches of a pass round the ring and realized I had cut too deep. Instead of tossing the top I backed the rosette area with a big swatch of spruce and rerouted at the mistake depth. Then I inlayed the rosette and planed the top from both the back and front. It was a save, and it worked, I'm building the that guitar now.

I usually make rosettes about 2mm to 2.5 mm deep. Maybe a little deeper than most people. In the beginning it might be helpful to know how deep you are routing your rosette channel now?

You can always do a save if you can find your center again. Back the area with a thin Spruce ring or circle and then re find your center. Re-rout out the first rosette and make another one. Then plane the excess off the underside of the top. You'll learn a lot in the process and gain confidence that is you F-up you can fix it. It makes the whole process less precious. My first teacher used to say "If an object can survive the process of its own manufacture then it deserves to have a musical life. "

But then again he used to throw his bows at the wall and cuss when they were not cooperating. It was awesome, he used say stuff like: "You dirty bastard! You are so weak you could not pull a sick whore off a piss pot!" Then he would get another stick of pernambuco and start over.

Clearly he was old school. After he calmed down he would give me five dollars and send me to Geeeeraaard's Market, (which he pronounced with heavy fake French accent), to get half a gallon of chocolate ice cream which we would eat before his wife got home from work.

After him I met Gene Clark who has a different way after a screw up. He washes his hands and collects himself an begins over. Same thing basically, do what ever you have to do. gene was actual interested in me because I told him all the stories about Mr. Tenney. He thought they were great.

It's just a guitar, you never really screw up that bad in the beginning. It hurts when you've already put in many hours, so you get real careful as you go further. But before assembly when making the all the parts you have more "do - overs" possible.

But nobody will tell you that, they act like its essential to have a carrot up your ass at all times.

P.S.

[Edited by Admin for ignoring warning on other thread, thanks]

Beam me back to the ship Mr. Scott!
Kirk out.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2013 20:42:47

El Burdo

quote:

Back the area with a thin Spruce ring or circle and then re find your center. Re-rout out the first rosette and make another one. Then plane the excess off the underside of the top.

Yeees...did exactly that after I found glue when sanding the rosette - though I left the underside there as it felt too weak even before the new rosette was fitted.

Up to now I have routed just 1mm for the Rosette, which I figured was enough in a 2mm board. I can see lots of discontinuities happening at the sound hole (with absolutely no understanding, just a feeling - I guess most of the effective sound production takes place lower down - possibly, in the domed area above the br....? ); the fact that Santos H does not seem to have any strengthening at the hole is further reason to worry, for me.
I'm wondering if sound waves encountering the rosette boundary might not be happier sound waves than those bumping into a a half rosette/half soundboard boundary. So, I think I'd like to rout right through the soundboard, as you evidently did, into a backing plate which is then contoured. I guess if you leave a join as you have done, you can tidy it up from the back, then fit the backplate. Then remove the hole and tidy up.

I am normally good in times of stress as there is nothing to be done, though I do tend to lose it a bit with music technology and gravity. However, I did the equivalent of throwing my bow across the room a couple of weeks ago. After all the rosette replacing, back taking off, fan bracing replacing, re-binding and french polishing, I sat on it.

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 7 2013 23:42:38

tele

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to HolyEvil

Stephen, how do you manage to keep your nails in good playing condition with so much work with sandpaper etc. Is it a challenge?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 0:19:10

Anders Eliasson

quote:

Stephen, how do you manage to keep your nails in good playing condition with so much work with sandpaper etc. Is it a challenge?

I´m not Stephen, but I reply anyways: Its never a problem for me. More the other way round, long nails making dents in the instruments.
The nails I destroy in the kitchen or when fixing the car or hitting something when moving stuff around. You know normal daily life situations.

I rout the rosette channel some 1,7 - 1,8mm and I´ve never had problems so far.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 7:43:28

El Burdo

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to Anders Eliasson

do you use a backplate at all?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 8:48:15

Anders Eliasson

When you mean a backplate, you mean the (almost) round soundhole reinforcement also called a donut?

On most guitars yes, sometimes no.
Traditional building is without.

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 15:14:04

El Burdo

Hi Anders - I guess I do, though I didn't know the term. I assume the outer (external) edge of the soundhole is rounded whether you use a donut or not; is the inner edge also rounded?
Also, do you think having a donut affects the sound projection in any way? I can't see that Sn. Hernandez was just trying to save weight by not using one...

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 15:47:39

Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Burdo

Hi Anders - I guess I do, though I didn't know the term. I assume the outer (external) edge of the soundhole is rounded whether you use a donut or not; is the inner edge also rounded?
Also, do you think having a donut affects the sound projection in any way? I can't see that Sn. Hernandez was just trying to save weight by not using one...

Thanks.

Now don't you all go around giving out your secrets like others do!!!!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 8 2013 16:36:52

estebanana

quote:

I don't know which plan you're using, but if it is not drawn with any support around the sound hole you should make something appropriate and glue it on. At minimum two strips of wood 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick and then bevel the edges. Or a donut..In many old Spanish guitars the sound hole reinforcement looks like an after thought, like they used a cutoff from the left over top wood.

It is important stabilize that area for two main reasons: One is to protect and gusset the top where it is scored deeply to accept the rosette. Two is that the sound hole perimeter needs to be stiff so it does not flap or flutter at the edges. The braces that border the sound hole keep it stable at top and bottom of the hole, but the middle needs the gusseting to make it stable.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 3:39:46

El Burdo

Check.

Thanks.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 5:52:34

Anders Eliasson

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to Ricardo

quote:

Now don't you all go around giving out your secrets like others do!!!!

Dont you worry. Just like others, we´re just going to make it look like we are helping and then we´re going to pack it into a context that doesnt make sense and finally we are going to give ourselves the credit of being the salvation army of flamenco guitars.

Back on topic.
Below, a traditional version of a soundhole reinforcement. Same bracing pattern.
I cant hear or feel any difference between the two ways of doing things. The huge majority of famous Spanish guitars were reinforced around the soundhole like this one

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 7:25:28

El Burdo

Good to see that in the flesh. Thanks, Anders. The only problem is, I now want to include a bridge plate or strip. So, I'm going to do some research. I know it's a bit early to be 'intuitive' but having had one bridge fly off I want to secure this one, and there may be some sonic benefit - as I'm sure you'll say there is anyway...

Also, directed by the Santos post, I have read on R. Bruné's site that particular attention has to be paid to the bridge dimensions etc if you wish to replicate the sound of the maker. Santos H's bridge seems quite small from the drawing I have - which is from 'Making Master Guitars' book. Which I haven't bought. But I'll stick to it.

I can cope with most teaching methods - please, just don't say "it's up to you"
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 9 2013 8:14:57

ralexander

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to JuanDaBomb

Here's my babe again - guitar has been adjusted some since Jason's vid - I'll let Stephen comment on those details if he wants to:

I'm wicked excited
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 15:19:51

HolyEvil

RE: Stephen Faulk Guitars: Photograp... (in reply to ralexander

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralexander

I'm wicked excited

WHAT?? you don't look anything like your avatar!!
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 19:17:49

ralexander

haha! That's actually Bill Burgess, who's from the Bay area in California. I'm not really familiar with his work, but Stephen tells me he's been on the scene since the early 80's.

Sounds like Stephen will set it free next week for it's cross-continent journey to me.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 19:30:04

estebanana

Bill is a wonderful guitarist and a super, super nice guy. He studied with both Parrilla and David Serva extensively. He's one of the people I'll miss when I move so we are trying to visit more now. Everyone loves Bill, he is a delight, one of those people who when you meet them your day goes better afterwards.

He has nice guitars too which over the years he's let me study and copy. He has a truly great Barba, a Conde' and a Reyes. I think I know where his next one is coming from though

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Jan. 18 2013 22:43:17

JuanDaBomb

Ancient Archeological Discovery (02-11-2013)

On a recent expedition to explore the ancient Caves of Estebananicus, by pure happenstance I stumbled upon what appears to be a long lost relic of some kind. Its origins are unknown, but its fossilized and primeval appearance suggests the work of a prehistoric caveman . It looks like a tribute to the ribby greatness of the mighty Pig of olden days. But who the hell knows for sure. Have a look for yourself.

Note the proper use of Conde-Orange gloves to prevent contamination of the artifact:

And, after a long day of ribs and oinkery, some cello playing to unwind...

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Feb. 13 2013 8:38:08
Page:   <<   <   1 [2]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote