Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guitar....!!!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Morante

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to Sean

How to make gambas al ajillo sizzle without overcooking them?

Simple. put a cuenca (earthenware bowl) in the oven at about 200º. In a sartén (frying pan) gently cook thickly sliced garlic and one or two chilis in a good amount of extra virgin olive oil. When the garlic is soft but not browned, raise the temperature and add the peeled gambas. They should be barely cooked: only a couple of minutes. Remove the cuenca and place it on a plate. Sprinkle some coarse sea salt on the gambas and empty the sarten into the cuenca: instant sizzle. Never found a wine for this, cerveza is better. And lots of bread to soak up the spicy oil (some people think this is the best part.

Aprovechen.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 19:50:02

estebanana

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

Get out, did you get orange chicken and mongolian beef?

No, that is the gringo stuff they make here. After being in China I actually found it difficult to find good Chinese food in San Francisco because so many greasy spoons serve food that is too sweet.

There/are these vendors on the street that made a wrapped up egg thing, sort of like a cross between an omelet and a crepe. They stand at a large round iron plate ad crack and egg on it with some batter, they cook it really thin and then spread chili sauce on it.

There is some street food, but I ate in the school dorm most of the time and the cook was fantastic. He went to the, market every day and made really wholesome good dishes. Nothing gluey or glazey sweet, just fresh and savory.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 19:50:57

estebanana

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to Morante

quote:

How to make gambas al ajillo sizzle without overcooking them?

Simple. put a cuenca (earthenware bowl) in the oven at about 200º. In a sartén (frying pan) gently cook thickly sliced garlic and one or two chilis in a good amount of extra virgin olive oil. When the garlic is soft but not browned, raise the temperature and add the peeled gambas. They should be barely cooked: only a couple of minutes. Remove the cuenca and place it on a plate. Sprinkle some coarse sea salt on the gambas and empty the sarten into the cuenca: instant sizzle. Never found a wine for this, cerveza is better. And lots of bread to soak up the spicy oil (some people think this is the best part.

Aprovechen.

Thank you, will do.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 19:52:03

Grisha

If these guitars are bad or mediocre, then why does Antonio seem to like them? I mean, he is a monster player, who does know how to use colors and dynamics, and has a total mastery of tone and expression. If the guitars were just mediocre, why does he appear so interested?

What gives?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 21:21:51

amigo

Hello Grisha, how are you? I'm Spyros from Greece. Remember when Sam and I took lessons with you some years ago? At our last lesson, Sam had his new Andalusian guitar. The guitar really sounds great!! This summer in July I was in Spain for ten days where I tried many flamenco guitars. In a few words , in my opinion , Sam's guitar sounded better then most I tried there ( well known expensive guitars) .

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 22:50:09

Leñador

quote:

No, that is the gringo stuff they make here.

I know I know, just joshin ya, tried to pick the most gringo dishes possible.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 23:07:11

Yojimbo

I think all the cooking **** in this thread is disrespectful to members who don't want to read about it.

I wonder how many potential members come to this forum and then leave because of the nonsense discussions that are carried on here.

The universe is indeed expanding - to get away from this planet.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 23:21:44

bursche

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to amigo

quote:

sounded better

I don't want a guitar that's advertised like some fashionable sneakers.
If they were absolute crap Ruben woudn't have been able to get Antonio for the vids.
The Dr. is acting like a local politician. He made Antonio an offer he couldn't refuse...

quote:

how many potential members come to this forum and then leave because of the nonsense discussions that are carried on here.

It's all the people with no sense of humour...after all nobody pays for posting here so how urgent can it be to stop talking about recipes.

I'll do an upload for you guys now, that's what the place is for.

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 23:22:40

Doitsujin

cooking is great!!!! When others do it for me. =)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 23:33:50

rogeliocan

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to Yojimbo

quote:

I think all the cooking **** in this thread is disrespectful to members who don't want to read about it.

Enough already with this. I think most people on the foro think Ruben is the one who is disrespectful, from many aspects at that.
Maybe you would like to take Ruben discussions to another forum? How about the Spanish Artepulsado, oops, he pissed off the people there already, see what happens. How about a France forum that I don't remember the name, oops too late too, he pissed off and got kicked out of there too. (You go and look, you will find the discussions).

Do I have the right to say Ruben is disrespectful? yes I have met him when he was bringing a couple of his guitars to sell at the 12th Fret in the city where you live... I remember Grant telling him that orange was not a popular color...but I already talked about that in an old thread.

Writing all of this bores me and when I am bored I get hungry. I love sugar so I will go make myself a toast with home made bread and eat it with some molasses, I know it is an acquired taste, but I love it.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 29 2012 23:57:15

mezzo

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to bursche

quote:

He made Antonio an offer he couldn't refuse...

He was probably invited to eat a good meal

quote:

If these guitars are bad or mediocre, then why does Antonio seem to like them? I mean, he is a monster player, who does know how to use colors and dynamics, and has a total mastery of tone and expression. If the guitars were just mediocre, why does he appear so interested?

What gives?

Wise preguntas Grisha!

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 0:31:03

amigo

Personally, when I want to buy a guitar that I really like , I'm interested ONLY in the guitar and not who's selling it.
Other than that, with all that's been said here,I'm surprised that this thread still isn't locked as Sam's was who just posted his guitar. Unfair!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 0:37:27

BarkellWH

quote:

Think of eating as a metaphor for sex. As Charo once memorably said: "Spooning leads to forking."

Cheers,

Bill

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white,
With the name of the late deceased,
And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,
Who tried to hustle the East."

--Rudyard Kipling
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 0:43:14

estebanana

I have an idea!

Since there are three duplicate Antonio Rey with Andelusional guitar threads going at the same time, which were all more or less posted at the same time (spamming perhaps?) MAybe this could could be flamenco food and the other two cold be used for...oh I don't know maybe talking about Diaz Brand guitars?

I'll stick with food as I don't know nothing 'bout birthin' no guitars, Miss Scarlet.

Speaking of the South... I saw Lincoln last night and despite being directed by Steven Spielberg it was pretty damn good. Daniel Day Lewis is great.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 0:54:50

mezzo

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

MAybe this could could be flamenco food

So in your opinion estebanana, what's the menu Antonio ate to be convinced by the doc?
A banana split maybe. Do you have the recipe?

"The most important part of Flamenco is not in knowing how to interpret it. The higher art is in knowing how to listen." (Luis Agujetas)
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 1:02:13

Yojimbo

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to mezzo

If you want to trade recipes, then why not open a new thread with an appropriate title so me and others don't have to read this crap.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 1:37:55

Leñador

quote:

If you want to trade recipes, then why not open a new thread with an appropriate title so me and others don't have to read this crap.

Aight, but then you gotta start a thread titled "I want to argue."
Cus you know that's the only thing that's gunna go down......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 2:23:59

Yojimbo

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to Leñador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lenador

quote:

Aight, but then you gotta start a thread titled "I want to argue."
Cus you know that's the only thing that's gunna go down......

I don't want to argue, but when someone calls me an obnoxious **** I'm probably going to respond.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 2:51:29

Leñador

Based on your time here at the forum and previous experiences what do you think is going to happen when you post about a subject you know to be controversial? People argue, this is just the reality of it.

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 3:23:33

KMMI77

I like Ruben, I think he is an interesting guy I believe I would have fun hanging out, learning or playing some guitar with him.

I subscribe to his youtube accounts and learn the things that are of interest to me. He shares a lot of interesting info for free. I, like anyone else, Am still free to form my own opinions regarding flamenco or Paco de Lucia's technique. He just shares his knowledge, opinions and beliefs just like every other flamenco guitar teacher.

I know lots of people think he is taking his students for a ride. But from what i have seen, they are mostly grown men capable of making their own decisions. So why should it bother us?

IMO, they will be able to learn a lot from him. And as they gain more knowledge, they will also be able to make their own decisions regarding whether or not any of their teachers information was bias or inaccurate.

Same goes for guitars. If years go by and one of his students decides he prefers something different to an Andalucian guitar. Then they can purchase a different one. The first guitar i had was not very good at all. An andalusian guitar would have been much better. So what?

Yes, I get why many people people don't agree with his style or methods. . But we all have our good and bad points. Maybe the universe will eventually sort us all out?

I believe he makes a good teacher. Especially if you prefer English over Spanish.I also believe that he possesses many good qualities alongside the ones that have caused such a fuss. His students will have a strong foundation to build on if they study with Ruben. Ruben has always been very polite in any private conversations i have had with him over the internet.

As for the guitars. From what i can tell, Ruben has access to heaps of those guitars. There are bound to be some that sound really cool. I'm sure he has kept some the best ones he has come across. Maybe they are the ones he is showing Antonio? There is probably a bit of new sound excitement happening in the video as well. I know when someone shows me a new guitar with a different sound than the ones i have, I always get right into it and often want one!

Antonio seems like a cool guy. The two of them seem to be having a good time together. I like seeing that.

It is however a shame that his interactions here and other places did not pan out better overall. But he is who he is, and I'm fine with that. I enjoyed his latest videos performing on tv with the group he has put together. He played very well, and the group sounds really good together. They have their own thing going and I enjoyed seeing it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 3:32:50

estebanana

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to mezzo

quote:

what's the menu Antonio ate to be convinced by the doc?

A couple Mint Juleps.

Yojimbo, seriously you have two other threads with the same content...why not bump one of them? I promise to not go anywhere near it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 3:42:58

Yojimbo

I didn't post this one, but I did post two others with Antonio Rey after I noticed that this one had been posted. I think you polluted the ones I posted with your recipes as well.

The thing is....either this forum is for flamenco or it isn't. I think it's pretty lame to pollute flamenco threads by discussing things that aren't even remotely connected to the topic. If you really do want to trade recipes, then as a courtesy to members who have no interest in that, you should start up a new thread.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 5:07:04

bursche

May I link you to this recipe for tortilla de papas?
There's nothing more flamenco than tortilla de papas.
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/spanish_potato_tortilla.aspx

Visit me on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRaGz6Lf-Uz0HxUv-dGQFLQ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 8:11:43

Escribano

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to bursche

quote:

May I link you to this recipe for tortilla de papas?

Thanks, but this one is better, possibly more 'authentic' and learned from my neighbours in Granada. It's close, but no garlic (even onions are optional) and the potatoes are sweated on a lower heat:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m=120216&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=tortilla&tmode=&smode=&s=#120315

Foro Flamenco founder and Admin
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 9:27:29

XXX

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

I like Ruben, I think he is an interesting guy I believe I would have fun hanging out, learning or playing some guitar with him.

I subscribe to his youtube accounts and learn the things that are of interest to me. He shares a lot of interesting info for free. I, like anyone else, Am still free to form my own opinions regarding flamenco or Paco de Lucia's technique. He just shares his knowledge, opinions and beliefs just like every other flamenco guitar teacher.

I know lots of people think he is taking his students for a ride. But from what i have seen, they are mostly grown men capable of making their own decisions. So why should it bother us?

IMO, they will be able to learn a lot from him. And as they gain more knowledge, they will also be able to make their own decisions regarding whether or not any of their teachers information was bias or inaccurate.

Same goes for guitars. If years go by and one of his students decides he prefers something different to an Andalucian guitar. Then they can purchase a different one. The first guitar i had was not very good at all. An andalusian guitar would have been much better. So what?

Yes, I get why many people people don't agree with his style or methods. . But we all have our good and bad points. Maybe the universe will eventually sort us all out?

I believe he makes a good teacher. Especially if you prefer English over Spanish.I also believe that he possesses many good qualities alongside the ones that have caused such a fuss. His students will have a strong foundation to build on if they study with Ruben. Ruben has always been very polite in any private conversations i have had with him over the internet.

As for the guitars. From what i can tell, Ruben has access to heaps of those guitars. There are bound to be some that sound really cool. I'm sure he has kept some the best ones he has come across. Maybe they are the ones he is showing Antonio? There is probably a bit of new sound excitement happening in the video as well. I know when someone shows me a new guitar with a different sound than the ones i have, I always get right into it and often want one!

Antonio seems like a cool guy. The two of them seem to be having a good time together. I like seeing that.

It is however a shame that his interactions here and other places did not pan out better overall. But he is who he is, and I'm fine with that. I enjoyed his latest videos performing on tv with the group he has put together. He played very well, and the group sounds really good together. They have their own thing going and I enjoyed seeing it.

He is quite a character, i agree with all you say but dude... he spammed this forum with his countless links, made huge claims about PdL and by that started some heated discussions and pissed several valued members off. And this topic is even 3 years old, yet nothing changed. Since his banning there occured several posts made under new accounts that favor Rubens position and bring this topic up yet again.
Good sound on those guitars, nice videos by Antonio, what did he get for them, move along to other more interesting topics...

by the way, if anyone knows why the other 2 videos have gone invisible on youtube, im all ears...

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 11:25:41

ralexander

Sure, this is a flamenco forum - but just like any other forum the members decide what they want to talk about. It should be clear to you by now that this recipe posting is a more friendly way for the general population to say enough about the Prof. When I came here and discovered this topic, I thought holy crap that is the guy who spammed the **** out of one of my other favorite forums!

Why would new members be detracted by recipes on a flamenco site? As others have stated cooking is extremely flamenco, and so is arguing. If a potential new member comes here and is turned off by this kind of thing, they should take their sensitivities and go play another style of music.

Pass the poi, mahalo.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 12:04:48

KMMI77

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to XXX

quote:

but dude... he spammed this forum with his countless links, made huge claims about PdL and by that started some heated discussions and pissed several valued members off.

Yea, that part is a shame and i don't really understand it. Still, sometimes i wonder if policing other peoples behavior and enforcing consequences is any better or even necessary? Rubens interactions may have had a negative effect on his relationship with some of the flamenco community. The effects of that are whatever they are.

I don't see why anyone should continue to hold a grudge and make his students feel unwelcome here. Or make someone who owns an andalusian guitar feel ashamed to upload a video playing something. That would also be a shame. I prefer when this community welcomes anyone and just lets them be who they are.

Of coarse this is Simon's forum, and he already outlines reasonable boundaries that must be adhered to to participate here. Ruben's actions made it that he could no longer participate. That was his loss, Personally I don't believe we need to make him keep paying for it. Nor not make use of, or discuss any of his videos.

When we do that we mainly punish ourselves.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 12:48:39

Flamencito

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

... Nor not make use of, or discuss any of his videos.

When we do that we mainly punish ourselves.

That was the point I wanted to make as well. I was not here at the times when things got out of hand, but talking about his material should not be forbidden or destroyed by the cause personal issues imo.. It's not so hard just to leave a thread 'on topic' for the ones interested in it..

In other words.. I would like to be able to have the possibility of discussing the (musical) content from him.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 13:26:54

Ricardo

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to Grisha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

What gives?

Antonio seems like typical nice guy humble artist. I know lots of guys who avoid saying anything negative about a guitar (unless it is a repair issue) and praise it like a beautiful woman no matter it's relative quality. It's a sort of nice political thing...I do it too when someone is so excited to show their instrument or very pushy and in your face about it. In the end no words of praise really matter...if you want the guitar for real you have no choice but to buy it or trade for it. Accepting a free guitar does not say anything really.

I remember I was asked my opinion amongst a group of guys with guitars. Two guys must of had a personal thing about their guitars and I was unwittingly chosen to resolve this. I was honest and said which guitar I prefered and it happened to be the cheaper guitar. Well the other guy was so depressed he got sick and left town early etc....I felt so bad that I wished I had been like Antonio and others I know and just been "oh que HERMOSA guitarra!!! que sonido..." etc. It's like insulting someones woman or something!

But if a friend or student wants my true opinion, it will have to be a private and personal conversation...nothing for youtube that's for sure!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 14:13:20

Ricardo

RE: Antonio Rey play Andalusian Guit... (in reply to mark indigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark indigo

quote:

having to read these posts about your cooking tips in a flamenco forum is something else. They're off topic and they're boring as hell. If it's something you must talk about, why don't you start a new thread.

quote:

Prof: "It's 20 times better than any Spanish guitar"

if the maker and place of manufacture of the guitars in question is posted, the cooking tips would probably evaporate (or at least reduce down to a nice consistency )

I think we established this long ago. Paracho Mexico, Manuel Cano and co. Ruben is from mexico, he is married to a flamenco dancer and worked there, Antonio Rey grew up in Mexico too, his dad was a singer and worked there, and of course PDL lived in Yucatan. Paracho guitars are actually pretty good....Salvador Castillo being exceptional, and this Cano cheaper but not bad. But the question mark is why the fear of the word "mexican"???? I dont' get it...."ANDALUSIAN GUITARS MADE IN SPAIN"....Ruben the ONLY student of PDL and the ONLY capable teacher....here is the proof etc etc.... absolute ZERO pride in the mexican connection which in itself would be something special. Even the decked out guady Mariachi looking design is called "Barbero Model"....it's insanity. Instead of mexican pride we get slammed with false advertising and never ending "I am the only authentic teacher of PDL style" etc. Antonio says Ruben taught him Spain by chick corea...it speaks volumes to me. Now Ruben says "....better than any spanish guitar..."...I think that statement gets to the heart of what Rubens personal issues might be. He must go completely berzeerk during the soccer games spain vs mexico!!

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 30 2012 14:25:31
Page:   <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>General >> Page: <<   <   2 3 [4] 5 6    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll