Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

You Guys With That Cervical Vertebra Issue!   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Ruphus

You Guys With That Cervical Vertebra... 

When Darvin knead us in his spare time he failed on two physical spots. One was the knees the other that ol´atlas bone that is supposed to balance your skull.
I forgot the exact numbers, but if memory serves me right, in over 90% of cases folks atlas is claimed to have slipped out of position, usually teasing his owner to the end of his days.

Worse even with the species of guitar players. With their one-sided posture of one arm lifted and one hanging ( while pulled up by the shoulder, like Richard does ... hehehehehehe psst ... don´t tell him I said that ) they aggravate the situation by habitually turning their head to the left to watch their crooked flippers crawling up and down the neck. - As if it could help it any.
Folks, try playing blindly. Seriously. It really yields great.

Anyway, no small number of guitar players, including some like Jim Chapdelaine ( shall send him a message too, long time no talk anyway ) are suffering severally under issues with the upper vertebra.
I must have prepared my dislocation by guitar playing too when it made a tiny "click" sound one day while I was lifting heavy weight, followed by endurable but constant trouble since 6 or 7 years now ( and consequent prolapses in the lower back ). - Things I had never expected to live to see.

Yesterday, on the way to the lawyer I recalled always wanting to check out a certain kind of harness which you fix in a door frame and include your head which then will be pulled upwards by the help of a weight.
I had seen such in a movie once and always thought I could be liking it.
( Used to have hanging shoes in my mint times and now an upside-down board, which does good too, but anyway.)
So in the lawyer´s quarter went into stores for medical supports situated there and was offered this instead:

Cost me an equivalent of 68 bucks ( but hey, I was granted 5 bucks off!) in the bazaris-got-you-at-the-balls land, while it will come you rather 18$ anywhere else.

Just wanted to let you know that something simple like this exists and that it could be useful.
I certainly like it.

Caution:
Its latex must be comprised awfully toxic seeing the vapor that you start smelling when wearing it too long.
Not suiited for people with heart issues as there will be pressure on the necks artery.
I find that this pressure can be kept at quite moderate measure though as long as you are making sure to keep the lower velcro fairly loose and tighten only the upper one ( so that it can grip your chin ).

Cheers

gray Ruphus

PS:

Just remember to take it off before having Rendezvous!

Images are resized automatically to a maximum width of 800px
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 14:26:13

rogeliocan

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to Ruphus

Haven't read the post yet but is that a penis enlarging device? I think you are getting a bit too personal on a public forum.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 14:37:30

Ruphus

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to rogeliocan

For someone who won´t read what he replies to in the first place I think you are a bit too smug, not just for a public forum.

Besides: A **** can´t be big enough, no matter what your girl friend tells you.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 14:59:36

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

Worse even with the species of guitar players. With their one-sided posture of one arm lifted and one hanging ( while pulled up by the shoulder, like Richard does ... hehehehehehe psst ... don´t tell him I said that ) they aggravate the situation by habitually turning their head to the left to watch their crooked flippers crawling up and down the neck. - As if it could help it any.
Folks, try playing blindly. Seriously. It really yields great.

gray Ruphus

I should just give up, but I will repeat for the n-th time: When playing in the traditional position, the shoulders should be level, and the guitar should be held by the weight of the right arm, without muscular tension.

It took a while to figure this out. Most people start off doing it wrong. Keeping on doing it wrong can result in injury.

The traditional flamenco position seemed to work okay for Scott Tennant when I saw him in concert a couple of weeks ago. He had the strongest and most fluent technique of the four members of the L.A. guitar quartet--all of them impressive virtuosi.

Kanengeiser was using a Dynarette cusihon on his left thigh with a low footstool, Dearman had quite a high footstool, Greif looked pretty close to the usually prescribed classical position with a footstool at a moderate height.

A variety of positions can work. Any of them can be done wrong and result in injury.

I agree with the advice to play without looking at the left hand. When I practice scales I do it in the dark, or with my eyes shut.

I haven't led a particularly inactive life: about 150,000 miles (240,000 km) of motorcycling, 35 years of running 6-8 miles (10-13 km) per day, 1500 scuba dives, playing guitar 2 or more hours a day for 5 decades....

I'll be 75 years old the day before Christmas. The only musculo-skeletal problem i suffer is a slight numbness in 3 and 4 on the left hand, the result of a pinched nerve in the neck from a motorcycle wreck in my early 30s.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 15:45:51

rogeliocan

Just playing with you Ruphus, could not resist ;)

I hope that thing works with you. Like you say not cheap but it quite an apparatus. With my discomforts in my lower back I think it is worth trying different things.

But you will have to get back in a month and tell us how it's working out.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 16:00:56

rombsix

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to Richard Jernigan

Richard - why don't you post a video to show the way you sit and hold the guitar? It would be great on many levels:

1- It's clearer than text description
2- You would have done a new thing
3- We get to see you and maybe hear you play something

Cheers!

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 16:04:51

Erik van Goch

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to rombsix

quote:

ORIGINAL: rombsix

Richard - why don't you post a video to show the way you sit and hold the guitar? It would be great on many levels:

1- It's clearer than text description
2- You would have done a new thing

Cheers!

Seeing Richard play the guitar might be new indeed (at least to me), but the way he favors to hold his guitar isn't...he didn't call this position traditional without a reason. Paco Peña favors this position as well (plenty of video's of him) and i'm convinced it is the most natural and healthy way to hold and play the guitar. The technical skills he possessed in his younger years (70ties) are the most impressive i've ever seen in my life (extremely fluent and with incredible tonal quality and volume).

Drawback of the traditional way of holding the guitar might be possible limitations when playing picado (like Richard said it is the weight of the right arm that holds/balances the guitar which limits the freedom to lift it just to your likings). That might very well be one of the reasons PDL adapted the modern way of holding the guitar. On top i wouldn't be surprised if the hybrid Condes he started playing were significantly heavier than the traditional guitars played by previous generations. Paco Peña uses plaster to increase grip of the part of the guitar that makes contact with the right arm in order to reduce sliding problems.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 17:59:33

Ruphus

Roge,

Never mind! I was thinking the same thing a couple hours after posting. I should had waited a bit before reviewing. I have to say however that using it for second day now has already freed me a bit from the usual pain and strain.

Richard,

I admire your discipline.
I have become so lazy, and feel lousy about it. Used to be intesive sportsman for much of my life, with years of 30 and some even of 40 hours per week; and now I´m down to half an hour daily ( if at all), though in efficient ways. The mortal wrapping still looks like under 30, but there are pangs nonetheless, for being so spoiled from the past.
At least there´s the quit of smoking recently after 40 years, which gives me a somewhat decent feeling, though a bit bland in lifestyle.

Eventhough lower back problems are not seldom with martial arts senors, I would had never thought to experience strains and prolapses one day. Strange.

Getting lazy is so easy. ( ... I could easily lay down and eat myself to death, weren´t there left to many due or interesting things.)
Just the more heads off to you!
-

I love Paco Pena´s playing.
But with the lower bout on one´s lap the neck goes so high that the strain for the left shoulder becomes immense.
Unless you tame that by putting on a capo.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 20:01:07

Ricardo

I am waiting for Doitsujin's opinion on this device.

CD's and transcriptions available here:
www.ricardomarlow.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 20:39:05

estebanana

You could also go to Thailand for this treatment:

Attachment (1)

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 21:27:54

Richard Jernigan

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

...but you do have to start when you are young.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 18 2012 23:35:04

rombsix

quote:

Ramzi

http://www.youtube.com/rombsix
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 0:30:07

estebanana

She would be a great vampire slayer.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 3:32:03

Ruphus

I am wondering what that thing would come in for over here where the bellows version costs you an arm and a leg already.

You would probably have to buy and insert ring by ring, like the folks in Thailand do. No way for a one time mounting.
-

Doitsujin will probably have to confess that he owns the other model.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 8:45:04

XXX

So this is for the neck? I actually have some hardened neck muscles for years, initially from guitar playing, but it remains as of today because of sitting in front of the computer. Sure there is alot of gimmicky health products out there, but an honest feedback can help distinguishing the useful ones. Good thing also about the foro, we know each other a little so theres no risk of running into a fake advertisement post.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 8:46:12

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ruphus

Richard,

I admire your discipline.

Ruphus

I fear that I have given a mistaken impression. Recounting my activities was to be seen as history. I'm not running 6-8 miles per day at age 74 11/12, though I'm sure some people do. I walk 4-5 miles (6.5-8 km) per day, and swim at least a kilometer per day--that is, until it got too cold to swim in my pool last week. I haven't gotten over to the heated outdoor pool nearby to pay my fee and sign up yet.

Ramzi-

You would probably be better off observing Sabicas. He's the one I tried to model myself upon. Even after he started using the footstool, he still played in the "traditional" position. If you look closely, you will see that the upper bout never touches his left thigh!

I laid off playing for a couple of years, annoyed by the developing numbness in 3 and 4 on the left hand. Recently I decided to see whether there is enough sensation left to play anyhow. I kind of suspect there is. I'm starting slowly, on both classical and flamenco. I love 'em both!

I'm thinking of upgrading from the digital single-lens reflex camera I have now, to a better one that happens to have video capability. If the "return to playing" experiment succeeds, brace yourself. You may be subjected to a sample of my playing.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 15:14:42

estebanana

quote:

If the "return to playing" experiment succeeds, brace yourself. You may be subjected to a sample of my playing.

Oh yes do make a video of you playing your Romanillos!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 17:31:40

estebanana

I was thinking Mr. Doit may need something of a step up in magnitude.
A whole body squeezer ...

Attachment (1)

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 17:35:01

Leñador

I dated a girl who worked with special needs children and they used those body squeezers as therapy for autistic children, they evidently loved 'em......

\m/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 19 2012 17:42:32

Pimientito

Hi Ruphus
As someone who has spent the last 20 years treating this type of thing I would be happy to offer some advice if you dont mind me contradicting you on some of your points.
The atlas does not "slip out of position", at least not unless you have a nasty car crash or fall off a ladder and if it does, you are either dead or paralysed. Whilst it moves around quite freely on a dry bone skeleton, in real life its bound by a thick stocking of ligaments and small muscles and is actually quite difficult to move. Its tension(and fibrous changes) in these small muscles that can pull the atlas in one direction more than another which makes it look "out of place" on standard Xrays.
That is not the same as an atlas dislocation....which is universally fatal.

The symptom of really bad pain after a joint noise in the neck is a combination of compression and possibly degeneration that leads to an acute episode. It may be you had an injury in your neck some years ago that is part of the increased compression today. If not it may simply be years of playing in a bad position.

Guitar playing is generally not good for your back...especially as you get older. All the great players have problems, Paco with his low back, vicente had disc injuries. Firstly sitting for 8 hours a day causes a lot of compression in the lumbars. Having the legs crossed puts a lateral curve in the spine. Right shoulder is elevated putting strain in the shouder and upper neck.

Stretching is generally good. Walking in the day, yoga stretches, swimming release compression in the lumbar spine. I use a foot stool now and a high backed dining chair to practise in which helps my playing posture. Stopping every hour to have a break is important too. Stretching the neck is harder. The device you bought will help decompress the upper neck but often the pressure is distributed through the whole neck and cant be focussed onto the atlas. . Ice pack application helps if repeated several times a day to reduce local inflammation. Physical therapy can loosen up those tight sub occipital muscles and often getting the upper neck manipulated will decompress the area for months at a time.

Follow my blog http://pimientito.wordpress.com/

"Ceremonial" by Mark Shurey "Pimientito". CD and digital download vailable on Amazon and
CDbaby. http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markshurey
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2012 7:30:55

Ruphus

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to Pimientito

Thank you for putting things straight / accurate!
-

In my case the disarranging of the cervical spine occured during lifting weights in ways of highly trained times, not having taken into perspective much lesser active routines of that time. And supposedly the inbalanced posture of guitar playing might have contributed to a bad preparation too.

Yes, I do not count with a direct set through this device, for as you mentioned the pull being distributed broadly. But am experiencing relaxing effects, of which I hope that they might lead to a situation when possibly slackening in conjunction of general movement may hopefully introduce a reset.

In the least however the stretching should be good for symptomatic / acute treatment.

Ruphus
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2012 8:51:57

Argaith

I have experienced episodes of lower back pain in the past few years. When it happened last year I saw an Interventional Spine and Pain Physician. He carried out x-ray and MRI and the result was quite shocking. I have scoliosis (curved spine); it looked ugly in the x-ray. He sent me to some Pilates based physiotherapy sessions which helped a lot but the main advice from the doctor was to avoid sitting for long periods. He said that I should be mindful of the way I sit and to avoid sitting for longer than half an hour. I should constantly adjust myself on the chair and get up and do stretches every half hour. The doctor said to me that if the pain doesn’t go, I might want to consider steroid injection!

The lower back pain was back again around 6 weeks ago deteriorated by doing some DIY at home; this time along with some weird numbness and pins and needles in my right thigh which pretty much is there all the time. I am having physio sessions and lower back fitness exercises via my company’s Occupational Health. They’ve ordered me an orthopaedic chair too but I haven’t got it yet. The lower back pain is on the mend but very gradually, but the weird uncomfortable feelings in my thigh have not responded well to the exercises. I find the traditional sitting posture more comfortable and even if I sit cross legged while I’m practicing picados for example, I switch to the traditional position almost automatically. Last night my thigh was giving me grief while the guitar bout was sitting on it and I had to switch to cross legged continuously which was annoying. It feels like the pressure on the thigh is blocking something or irritating a nerve or something similar!
I don’t want anything messing about with my guitar playing

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2012 12:56:49

mark indigo

RE: You Guys With That Cervical Vert... (in reply to Pimientito

quote:

Guitar playing is generally not good for your back...especially as you get older. All the great players have problems, Paco with his low back, vicente had disc injuries. Firstly sitting for 8 hours a day causes a lot of compression in the lumbars. Having the legs crossed puts a lateral curve in the spine. Right shoulder is elevated putting strain in the shouder and upper neck.

is it guitar playing that is not good for your back, or is it the sitting?

and if it's the sitting that is not good, then is it actually the sitting, or is it the way you sit that is not good for your back?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2012 16:28:29

Richard Jernigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana
Oh yes do make a video of you playing your Romanillos!

The Romanillos actually works pretty well as a flamenca, but it is not as percussive on rasgueados as the "real" flamencas.

So I only play classical on it, where it really shines. I hold it in the classical position when I do this, so I don't think it would be of a lot of interest here.

If you ever make it to Texas, come by and have a look at it yourself.

RNJ
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Nov. 20 2012 17:31:16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >>Discussions >>Off Topic >> Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote