Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

RE: fine tuning a top   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Anders Eliasson

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to estebanana

quote:

In case anyone is intersted here are two shop made tools I use for interior work. I don't do brace shaving, but there are times when you need these tools for repair work. They might fit your purpose if you shave.

The first one is a hard foam pad with self stick tap plate material on one side. The tap plate material provides a slick surface on the pad to slide on and protect the inside of the top. The bevel can be cut to fit next to any kind brace and then you stick sandpaper on it. You can effectively sand a brace profile without flattening it.

The next one is a wooden handle with a small section of hand cut fine rasp foam taped to it. You can palm it with the rasp facing up and place your index finger under the rasp. It basically makes your index finger into a fine rasp. Where ever you place your finger you can move it back & forth and get mild to aggressive abrasive wood removal.

It was brought up earlier that some of the brace shaving methods changed the shape of the brace, the wedge sanding fixture might be helpful to reshape the brace profile.

The finger rasp has lots of repair applications....

I love those little tools. Especially the one with the tapplate. Very ingenious. I would like to learn more about reparation. Do I have to go to LA or Japan?

Blog: http://news-from-the-workshop.blogspot.com/
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 16:03:55

C. Vega

[Deleted] 

Post has been moved to the Recycle Bin at Oct. 27 2012 16:14:56
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 16:12:12

Tom Blackshear

quote:

The only thing I ever read of yours that interested me was when you said there is a difference between thinning the top under the bridge and around the perimeter of the top.

Something Jose Rubio said many years ago at his Canada lecture was that thinning the top around the edges would heighten the frequency and thinning the top around the middle area would lower it.

Eugene Clark would always thin his tops toward the middle to get that extra tension, and a more bold note since his fan braces would thin out the sound to some extent, and as tension goes for this discussion.

Also, when I was in Madrid in 1965 I was in Felix Manzanero's shop on Santa Anna #12 and checked out one of his flamenco guitars that had been finished but he had gone back over it to sand some wood off in front of the bridge arms to thin out and possibly improve flex and open up the sound. His guitars at the time were pretty stiff.

And I replaced a top of his on a later model that he had sanded the top all around the bridge but left the wood under the bridge, probably to get more top flex... a quick way rather than removing the bridge.

I can add that thinning around the edges can lower the top's key tuning to where, if done carefully, thinning the middle area can bring it back to its original key if not too much is thinned out.

Thinning under the bridge can give the top some flex to enable the strings connected to the bridge to give better tension. The first sign of this, for me, came when I examined a Hernandez y Aguado 1957 flamenco guitar that was beyond repair.

His thickness out from under the bridge was at least a 1/16" taper right under the bridge, which was too much, imho. But it worked for his purposes. It was more like a gouge rather than a gentle taper.

I have found that it's quite efficient to thin no more than about .5 mm under the bridge, and feather it out, being careful to thin a little more on the treble side than on the bass, as the bass can sometimes become too flexed and lose some sustain.

Actually this lose of sustain can be the downside to most of the other "tension adjusting" techniques. So this is the reason they are done sparingly; little by little, poco a poco.

And this is the reason I developed my own sanding techniques with the strings at concert pitch; everything being done in small steps so that I don't override a positive effect on one string to where I can't bring it back.

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 17:15:28

estebanana

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to Anders Eliasson

quote:

I love those little tools. Especially the one with the tapplate.

Thanks Anders,
I would expect you have little tools that you have made for special jobs. I was looking forward to meeting you when I had it in mind to visit Spain again, but that may take a while now. But you're always welcome to meet me in Japan and stay a while.

Jeff,
I should have said it this way: You may be able to use these types of tools to change the brace strength or mass without changing the shape too much, if that means anything. I was also pointing out that you can make sanding fixtures for working on braces when the top is still exposed. But if you ever have to remove glue next to fan brace to fix bad cleat job, well you can work in ways that do not change the brace shape. Tools for one task often dovetail into other tasks.

Richard & Rufus,
I think you are misunderstanding the amount of twisting to mine and others underwear at the mentioning of salt rubs. I'm simply trying to keep the conversation salient, not saline.

There is only anecdotal evidence for the brace wetting /salting idea; it's never been proved or cited in any guitar making trade journals. It's a structurally dubious idea to begin with, and it is more myth than fact in a guitar world that is rife with old wives tales and harmful anecdotal cures for non existent problems. Please don't mistake my humorous straight arming with aggression when it is merely exasperated sceptical diversion. Tom is fully allowed to mention this method and I am fully allowed to refute it. I'm trying to keep the conversation focused on the reality of guitar making, not speculation about esoteric techniques that are not universally accepted. This can only be good scientific method.

The wood treatment experiments of Nagyvari are somewhat known in the violin sphere, and almost entirely dismissed by the best violin makers. The reason why is because since his basically alchemical inquiries, important old Italian violins have been studied under several kinds of state of the art microscopy techniques. The claims he makes have been soundly refuted by legitimate researchers working with samples from period violins. There have also been scientific refutations based on infrared spectroscopy of David Rubio's claims that instruments were treated with salt based coatings prior to varnishing. The current legitimate peer reviewed scientific literature on violin making has refuted every crackpot theory about varnish and wood treatment, only to deepen the mystery of why those Italian violins sound so good. If you want citations on articles and authors I can provide them.

Tom,

Thanks for your thoughts on thinning under the bridge vs. the perimeter.

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 17:41:05

Tom Blackshear

quote:

There is only anecdotal evidence for the brace wetting /salting idea; it's never been proved or cited in any guitar making trade journals. It's a structurally dubious idea to begin with,

Stephen, how many techniques have you learned from your own trials and errors and then other guitar makers, do you think are written in guitar journals?

Just curious.

As I see it, most of these techniques used by the Spaniards were jealously guarded for generations, only to escape their possession by their apprentices who were careful enough to learn them. And from the lack of information about Santos Hernandez's building practice, hardly anyone knew his close mouthed approach, like he knew it.

So, I offered this salt technique to any builder who would like to try it.

I did and found that it worked. I was willing to prove my investigation of this by going forward and checking it out. And to my thinking, it was too important to hypothesize without giving it a valid check.

But I have found a proficient way to sand the braces, microscopically, to achieve the same end result.

I can see Arcangel's approach by his using water and salt, as it didn't broad-cast any alteration of the fan brace thickness, but with my technique, no one is going to be able see the area to begin with, as it is too small to be able to measure.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 18:21:08

estebanana

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to Tom Blackshear

quote:

Stephen, how many techniques, have you learned from your own trials and errors and other guitar makers, do you think are written in guitar journals?

Without knowing the methods and context of Archagel's construction I find the method difficult to accept. I say you should ask a foro member who owns an Archangel if he will let you wet the fan braces and report back the result.

The salt rubbing has pretty much become a dead horse on all the guitar making boards, and pretty much we're all exasperated you keep bringing it up. I'm not saying this in an angry way, just stating a fact. There are perhaps, I speculate, maybe 800 or 900 people in the world who can build a fine quality classical guitar who have in depth knowledge of guitar making. Nobody flogs this dead salt horse but Tom Blackshear.

It's just really difficult for us to take time after time even though you are respected as one of the good builders. It's a real head scratcher Tom why you keep forcing this issue when the only people who are interested are those who have never built a guitar.
Again I'm not angry, but like many other good builders, simply bewildered at this tenacity to distort real guitar making issues for esoteric mumbo jumbo.

Perhaps like someone suggested you could submit this to the GAL publication as an article? You have the connections. That way it will be published and preserved for all to try. Also in that way it will cease to be a contentious issue on all the guitar boards gumming up the works and taking time away from talking about the essential meat and potatoes guitar making problems.

Ok I'm done with this one.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 18:40:14

Tom Blackshear

quote:

It's a real head scratcher Tom why you keep forcing this issue when the only people who are interested are those who have never built a guitar.

Thanks for your input.

I was hoping to start this "fine-tuning" thread with this ideal, not use it as an ending.

My focus here was addressing top tension.

To get through this scenario, I felt that the salt technique had to be mentioned.

Perhaps other builders on this list would like to share their fine-tuning methods.

Obviously, I'm not doing a very good job.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 18:51:45

estebanana

quote:

Your input is valuable Tom, and we all know you make wonderful guitars and have for many, many years. But you have to understand that many of us are ready to poke our own eyes with a fork if you mention salt once more. Other than that nobody really has a problem with you talking about your work.

I struggle with my own work in ways I can't express in words. I have doubts, I have breakthroughs, but some of us are more private about our connection to the tactile aspects of guitar making. You have not done a bad job, some of us are just not going to talk about it past some very general points.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 19:06:25

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I struggle with my own work in ways I can't express in words.

This was a description of myself during my playing days in flamenco. Things were quite serious and became very difficult with my trying to wind my own way toward self expression. I completely empathize.

It's like Bill Rios once told me, "So many years playing in this business, and you just get crazy."

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 19:24:28

TANúñez

quote:

Tom, whether I agree or disagree with some of your methods, they are still valuable. I enjoy reading your posts as well as the other luthiers here. You can't imagine what I have learned here from you, Anders, Stephen, Shelton, Tsorba, Culpepper, the list goes on and on. Isn't that what the Luthiers section is for anyway. To swap ideas and share knowledge? No matter how experienced one may be, I don't think you ever stop learning. I think you've done a great job.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 22:18:02

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I have doubts, I have breakthroughs, but some of us are more private about our connection to the tactile aspects of guitar making

I think I understand what you mean. So I'll sign off with my previously written short article on guitar situations in general.

I think wolf notes can be avoided but not always easily. Sometimes it takes me considerable hair pulling to get the G string just right to where it is smooth and attractive; something that blends with the other trebles in a vowel sound rather that just string noise, no matter how graceful.

The vowel sound, for me, comes from the middle of the string register, not necessarily on the outside strings. And this is what seems to carry quite far in a concert hall, as long as the other string sounds are compatible.

For me, the trick is to give the outside treble a higher frequency but allow the inside voice to push the envelope with an earthy compelling character that is not too heavy or dedicated in its tone, as to interfere with the musical composition.

The voice should be slight in its own character but persuasive enough to compliment the music, not over-power it. If people are pulled into the character of the guitar's sound, too much, then this will detract from the music, to some extent.

But tone is tone, and the wonderful part of music, is tone, and its expressive value to the people who hear it. And the more versatile the tone is, the wider dimension of enjoyment.

I think it is truly possible to build character into a thin top; cedar or spruce, as long as the bracing pattern will guard the structure of the top from collapsing.

And there are ways to eliminate wolf notes from thin tops by finely tuning the top. However, every top design has to be treated differently. I could not say that I would fine tune every uniquely designed instrument the same.

But in closing, I'd like to say that a guitar should be a beautiful friend and like any person, we are not perfect, but the most compelling part to any person, as well as the guitar, is, that they stand on their own with their own individual appeal. This is what makes a guitar what it is.

And this is what humanity is, not so much correct in all of our individual parts but beautiful in our entire unity. When a guitar maker considers this unique style of working out his plan, then he is on the right path.

And the fact is it will have some unevenness in its working parts. But the ideal is to bring all of these uneven parts into a place where everything works for the good of the entire guitar.

This was commented on by some Spanish builders of old, that when all of the mistakes come together, then a miracle happens.

This is what fine adjustments are supposed to produce but not all guitars are created equal; for not only inter-dimensional tone has to be right but all aspects of playability have to follow.

This is what makes guitar building extremely challenging. A guitar player is like an Island surrounded by a sea of music, and a guitar maker is like an Island with-in an Island. Or at least this is what I think we strive for, to make something that stirs the capacity of one's soul for musical expression.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 22:22:39

HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Blackshear

This is what fine adjustments are supposed to produce but not all guitars are created equal; for not only inter-dimensional tone has to be right but all aspects of playability have to follow.

I agree, and I do believe that a "good" or "better than average" guitar can be made better via a luthier shaving some braces/top and/or adding extra bars/braces to the guitar. I know it to be true beacuse I have heard it and experienced it myself.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 27 2012 22:34:25

Anders Eliasson

quote:

I agree, and I do believe that a "good" or "better than average" guitar can be made better via a luthier shaving some braces/top and/or adding extra bars/braces to the guitar. I know it to be true beacuse I have heard it and experienced it myself.

There´s an ethitical issue here. A very serious one. And it makes me happy to read that TomB and Stephen wont shave and fiddle with other builders guitars. I join the club. I wont do it either.
If shaving and reworking a guitar on the inside is necesary on a new guitar, then contact the builder and not anyone else.
You can very easily make a serious mess out of other people work and pride, and its not the messers name that is on the label.
If anyone starts "fine tuning" my guitars, I hope they have the ethical value of taking out my label and sand of my signature that is on the inside of the soundboard.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2012 8:04:04

Tom Blackshear

I personally don't like the idea of altering another builder's guitar, especially from a living builder who can do his own repairs, or one who is actively building at the present time.

But for arguments sake, I understand that there is a builder-repairman who has made alterations on other instruments, and is known for his success with them.

I believe his name is Douglas Ching, if anyone on this list would like to contact him and invite Douglas to give us his reasons for what he does? I believe that he has advertised this topic in the past, and has been doing it for quite some time.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 28 2012 12:52:53

KMMI77

Hi Tom,

I think it is great that you are willing to openly share your findings and knowledge. When luthiers withhold information from each other it is a real shame IMO.

It reminds me of some of the stories my dad told me about when he was in Spain back in the early 80's. Many of the guitarists would stop playing if they thought someone was learning their falseta. Of coarse those days are gone when it comes to flamenco guitar. Inevitably the same will happen regarding guitar making.

Have you considered recording a video of the guitar tuning process? Preferably with a camera that has a good microphone. Providing you maintain a constant recording environment, you could edit the video to hear the way the guitar changes with each modification. I think it would be interesting even if you just made it for yourself.

This tuning discussion has got me thinking about the numerous guitars that have come through my hands over the years. I've lost count of the number of guitars that were so close to being really great guitars, but had minor sound flaws that over time resulted in the guitars being sold on and often on again. Guitars with a great tone and feel but lacking in openness for example. Perhaps with some tuning they may have been keepers?

Something else that i have noticed with my own guitars, Is the way that over time they often lose some of the brightness that they had when they were new. Especially when they are played in a way that has them really vibrating over a long period of time. My guess is that it has to do with the wood fibers stretching as the top pulsates. It raises the question of whether some guitars could benefit from a tuning session after fibers have been stretched? Some guitars just keep developing really well but others seem to lose something as they age.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 7:44:40

Anders Eliasson

KMMI77

There are so many persons out there looking for the holy grail. It might be the keeper car, the keeper wife, the keeper dog, the keeper guitar or even the keeper life.
Very often the problem is inside themselves and not in some exterior thing.

If you start fine tunin guitars every time you dont feel happy. You can be sure that many really great instruments will be ruined. This way you´ll not only ruin the guitars but also the good name of the builder.
So I will repeat... If you ever do so with any of my guitars, please remeove the label and sand away the signature on the inside of the soundboard.

Finetuning is something the builder does when building the guitar and its part of his/her signature. Please show us some respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TomB´s intentions where to show builders how to make better guitars and NOT to show how to ruin other makers guitars. (TomB, correct me if I´m wrong ) Go back and read his and others posts.

The thread is going completely crazy.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 8:02:35

KMMI77

quote:

KMMI77

There are so many persons out there looking for the holy grail. It might be the keeper car, the keeper wife, the keeper dog, the keeper guitar or even the keeper life.
Very often the problem is inside themselves and not in some exterior thing.

That's some really good advice Anders and i totally agree.

quote:

If you start fine tunin guitars every time you dont feel happy. You can be sure that many really great instruments will be ruined. This way you´ll not only ruin the guitars but also the good name of the builder.
So I will repeat... If you ever do so with any of my guitars, please remeove the label and sand away the signature on the inside of the soundboard.

Just for the record, I have never tampered with any hand made luthier guitars. Only cheap factory guitars. I think everyone here understands your point and concerns.

quote:

Fine tuning is something the builder does when building the guitar and its part of his/her signature. Please show us some respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately when you sell a guitar you sell it.

quote:

TomB´s intentions where to show builders how to make better guitars and NOT to show how to ruin other makers guitars. (TomB, correct me if I´m wrong ) Go back and read his and others posts.

The thread is going completely crazy.

I am just sharing some thoughts. If I choose to have a guitar that i have paid for modified by an experienced luthier like Tom, That is my choice. People modify other peoples artistic creations all the time. Houses, recipes, music, falsetas, gardens etc.. the list goes on.

Personally i would rather have a guitar that had been modified and sounded great as apposed to the original version if it had issues. Remember we are talking about guitars with issues and not guitars that are already working well.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 8:55:16

Anders Eliasson

TomB

Please dont make the video that has been requested. I think you´ll find it obvious why not.
And also rethink everything a bit... I believe you when you say that you want to help the guitarbuilding society, but maybe the place is wrong and maybe it would be better to make sure that its kept a bit more within the builder society.
Just look at what happens here. It can end up with serious problems and then your helping idea will end up being the totally opposite.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 9:30:50

HolyEvil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anders Eliasson

I disagree, in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, it might/would get better. If I did it, I'm sure it'll be ruined.

like Kris said, if there's one thing you dislike about a guitar, that is great in every other way, I think the owner can ask someone to finetune it and then it'll be the perfect guitar for him/her and then no more buying/selling.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 10:42:19

KMMI77

quote:

Just look at what happens here.

All i see here is discussion.

Talking about ethics. Do you apply the same ethics when you upload a video playing another guitarists falseta. If you label the video description as playing a falseta by "insert name", Do you make sure you are playing it exactly the way they played it?

What if someone listens to it under the assumption that it is an accurate interpretation of the original? If it is not, isn't that another example of misrepresenting an artists name and creation?

There is no need to take things to the extreme.

I don't think everyone is going to start sanding the braces inside their nice guitars. If people without the necessary knowledge decide to do it, well that's their own choice

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 11:02:38

KMMI77

quote:

Please dont make the video that has been requested. I think you´ll find it obvious why not.

^^^ Kind of insulting Anders!

Yes don't share it, because people like me are going to start sanding inside every guitar until they sounds like a vintage conde!!!!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 11:35:23

XXX

Why would you make alterations to a guitar after it has been finished? We all know that builders NEVER make any mistakes and build their guitars without any flaw. They also know what kind of guitar the player wants, often better than him. Besides that, the tastes or wishes of a player of course never change with time, and he will always be happy with the guitar a builder built him, from day 1 till the end of his life.

Фламенко
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 11:44:13

TANúñez

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

I don't think everyone is going to start sanding the braces inside their nice guitars. If people without the necessary knowledge decide to do it, well that's their own choice

I'm not so sure. Remember a while back someone brought up the whole sound port thing? soon afterwards everyone and their Mother started putting sound ports in their guitars. Many times someone who doesn't know what they are doing will attempt to do something they don't know how to do and ruin their guitar. I'm not saying this is you or singling anyone in particular out. I think this is the point Anders is trying to make.

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 12:36:48

n85ae

Hmm, if I own a guitar, then it's mine to turn into firewood if I desire ... I
feel that this is simply sharing knowledge, if somebody wants to be a moron
and screw up their own property, that's their business,.

I guess this is like discussing Politics, you feel one way or the other, and
there is no middle ground.

I'd have to say I think it's generous of Tom to offer this knowledge. Plus
Anders might sell more guitars as well, after people need replacements for
the one's they screw up ... So it's a Win-Win situation.

Regards,
Jeff
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 13:49:39

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

I think it is great that you are willing to openly share your findings and knowledge. When luthiers withhold information from each other it is a real shame IMO.

It reminds me of some of the stories my dad told me about when he was in Spain back in the early 80's. Many of the guitarists would stop playing if they thought someone was learning their falseta. Of coarse those days are gone when it comes to flamenco guitar. Inevitably the same will happen regarding guitar making.

Yes, it is a shame builders can't get together and share their code-techniques to raise the level of the art. But I have noticed more sharing going on ever since I started fine tuning 37 years ago.

My techniques are not too much different from some of the others but my willingness to share has opened the door for other builders to publicize their findings. This can only help the art, for builders and players, imho.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 13:49:49

Andy Culpepper

I know I'm weighing in late here but just to add my perspective...
I think people put a little too much weight on what you can achieve with brace adjustments. Compared to the inherent stiffness of the top plate, the braces on a classical or flamenco guitar add a relatively small percentage of stiffness, whereas on a steel string the majority of the stiffness of the top comes from the braces.
I have shaved/sanded braces down on a finished guitar, especially the ones under the bridge when I wanted to lower the resonance a little bit, but I think where you can really perfect the voicing of a guitar is through perfect thicknessing and graduation of the top plate.
So while you can have a small effect by shaving down a couple of braces, it's not going to really improve the guitar if your top is simply too thick all over or in certain areas. The top plate is key IMO, and bridge weight is the #2 factor.
It seems kind of silly to put too much emphasis on adjusting the fan braces, when you're leaving the gigantic braces like the bridge and harmonic bar alone. You're just fiddling with what's accessible on a finished guitar, but that can't compensate for subpar handling of the top and back plates and the bridge.

I'm in no way saying that any builder's method is not leading to producing great guitars, I'm just saying that you need to do a lot more than little brace adjustments to make a great guitar.

Andy Culpepper, luthier
http://www.andyculpepper.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 13:54:59

wfrancis86

I think players would be far better off practicing that extra few hours than trying to digest what Tom B has been trying to convey. For the luthiers, and sorry for the lame pun, IMO this all needs to be taken with a grain of salt. If it has worked for Tom B then great for him (and thanks for the interesting reading Tom), and if other luthiers want to try it out, go for it and take a risk, its your reputation on the line not Tom's. Luthier's ought to be judged by the quality of their guitars not the techniques they use to make those guitars. If Nagyvary made great violins by peeing on them then maybe we wouldn't be making fun of him, but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. No matter how many violins he peed on there is no way to circumvent this reality. Maybe Nagyvary was unable to come to terms with reality in his search for the holy grail... in this sense his endeavors may be viewed as tragic.

I've now completed my first guitar (and admittedly I didn't make 100% of it with my own hands, so take what I have to say with the most microscopic grain of salt or just scoff at me) and I've had the opportunity to ask questions and see two great luthiers work their magic in their shops. From my limited observation so far it is striking to see how individual their approaches are. They are good people to begin with and take a humble approach to their trade and what I am spouting here are largely lessons I have learned from them. People can talk about their art but in terms of transmuting that knowledge I don't know if their words really do their technique justice. This is unfortunate and I think most luthiers on this forum would agree. We love our work and that's why we do it, and that's why some of us have the audacity to open our mouths and talk about it. We can't help it. As a novice I ask questions and so the luthiers give me their best answers but I think there is always an element of frustration on both sides. The way to address this frustration is to build many guitars with your own hands and thus gain that "muscle memory" and intuition that quells that frustration to some degree (or at least allows us to come to better terms with it).

There are no shortcuts in life and to suggest so, as I think Anders in particular would concur, is offensive to those who have dedicated their heart and souls to a craft in order to come to terms with this reality. So to come back to my original thought: players go play your instruments and if they are sub par then get better and learn to coax the sounds you want out of those instruments by practicing (not by having the gull to go and tell some respectable luthier that you heard on this forum once that a great builder applied salt to the braces and like magic the guitar went from sounding like crap to amazing), after all this is how all great flamenco guitarists throughout history have become great (and not by receiving some magical amulet from their gypsy grandfathers)... and builders keep building more guitars (I know I will) and whether you want to take the risk of investing in the salt application (or any other method you might wander across) is your call but surely if you build more guitars you will arrive at your own conclusions in time. These are my thoughts on the matter at least. Sorry for the rant.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 13:56:44

Tom Blackshear

quote:

You are right, I have no desire to see good guitars ruined, but when I was a player for about 17 years I never found a guitar that was perfectly balanced or played and sounded the way I thought was good enough for me to keep. Perhaps it was the tone in my head that kept calling to my inner senses.

Generally the new effect only lasted long enough for me to get used to its failures rather than good points. It seems this is always the case with guitars. But depending on a guitar's ability to gain positive rather than many negative faults, it can last a long time in the hands of its owner.

So, if a player has a good one, it would be best to keep it, unless, or until he finds a better one to take its place.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 13:59:38

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to wfrancis86

quote:

and builders keep building more guitars (I know I will) and whether you want to take the risk of investing in the salt application (or any other method you might wander across) is your call but surely if you build more guitars you will arrive at your own conclusions in time. These are my thoughts on the matter at least. Sorry for the rant.

The salt application was one in passing, if you bothered to read my other posts, but your rant is OK, it gives a lot of how you see things from your understanding of it, and this is acceptable to me and the other members here.

However, my initial interest in writing this thread was and is to urge other builders to share information for the good of the art.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 14:15:30

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to Andy Culpepper

quote:

I have shaved/sanded braces down on a finished guitar, especially the ones under the bridge when I wanted to lower the resonance a little bit, but I think where you can really perfect the voicing of a guitar is through perfect thicknessing and graduation of the top plate.

So while you can have a small effect by shaving down a couple of braces, it's not going to really improve the guitar if your top is simply too thick all over or in certain areas. The top plate is key IMO, and bridge weight is the #2 factor.
It seems kind of silly to put too much emphasis on adjusting the fan braces, when you're leaving the gigantic braces like the bridge and harmonic bar alone. You're just fiddling with what's accessible on a finished guitar, but that can't compensate for sub-par handling of the top and back plates and the bridge.

Andy, you say a lot of good things here. But my reference is when everything else is in place, tweaking the braces can help the balance and voice, to finish out the instrument, if it needs it in the first place. And for the past 30 + years I've made very few guitars that I would say needed no additional fine-tuning.

I experimented with just about every top graduation known to man but there was always something that called to my own senses, that there must be a way for the voice to be made better than just top graduation. And it was not that my guitars suffered from a bad voice but there were more than a few times when I had to replace a top, as it just didn't work right.

So, now with my fine-tuning technique, I rarely, if ever, have to replace a top.

All guitars have to be correct in their (fan brace to top wood mass), if one or the other is off, it will adversely effect the top's function for volume and tone.

But my fine-tuning technique is to tweak the minor areas for nuance and synergistic blending of balance and tone. So, this is a learned technique that requires a certain amount of intuitive skill, and most builders can learn this if they choose to.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 29 2012 14:36:37
Page:   <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: <<   <   1 2 [3] 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote