Foro Flamenco

Posts Since Last Visit | Advanced Search | Home | Register | Login

Today's Posts | Inbox | Profile | Our Rules | Contact Admin | Log Out

Welcome to one of the most active flamenco sites on the Internet. Guests can read most posts but if you want to participate click here to register.

This site is dedicated to the memory of Paco de Lucía, Ron Mitchell, Guy Williams, Linda Elvira, Philip John Lee, Craig Eros, Ben Woods, David Serva and Tom Blackshear who went ahead of us.

We receive 12,200 visitors a month from 200 countries and 1.7 million page impressions a year. To advertise on this site please contact us.

fine tuning a top   You are logged in as Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Login
Message<< Newer Topic  Older Topic >>

Tom Blackshear

fine tuning a top 

I think the over all feel of an instrument is going to be the real issue, as it has been said many times before, but there are ways to strengthen certain qualities with-in a certain sound.

Naturally, we won't see a Smallman turned into a Spanish style flamenco guitar tone but we can see how tone is effected with certain adjustments to strengthen its resolve in the Spanish idiom.

An O compared or combined with an AH sound is a reasonable ideal to look for. Tone that blooms with added sustain is another.

I personally start with a G-F# tuning with my tops and tweak the tone from there, using a combination of tone changes with known flamenco chords and rhythms, as my guide.

For example: I will try for a partial chord pull with Taranto and bring the second and third string into a proper tension with ligado pull off.

When this tension is right, then I go to another chord with a related tone until certain of these notes are worked out to be sympathetic with each other, etc.

There are numerous parts that can be brought into a fine balance, essentially changing a guitar's voice to make quite a remarkable difference.

But it always starts with a familiar tone that begs to be made into a multi-dimensional voice.

Tom Blackshear guitar maker

Tom Blackshear Guitar maker
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 23 2012 21:15:07

estebanana

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to Tom Blackshear

Tom,

Was this reply to another thread or did you just begin this out of thin air? I'm fascinated you are telling your secrets public.

My only question about your method is how long do you wait before you start tweaking one of your guitars? I know my guitars and many others change for a while after they are strung up. I allow them to go through those changes for several days if not weeks before I finally decide I have done good. I can't imagine changing a guitar with fine tuning until it has really settled.

That said I don't mess with them after I make them, except that one time I whittled on the bridge patch of one that was too stiff. I had an AHAH! moment where I could see you can change them by carving here or there, but my reaction was to not make such a big bridge path in the first place.

You should take whatever I say with grain of salt.

Cheers old boy,

S

https://www.stephenfaulkguitars.com
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 1:56:59

estebanana

Alos to your credit you're not one of those wackos that tries to tune the top before it goes on the gutiar...
So I think you are actually right about something.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 2:06:20

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to estebanana

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

Tom,

Was this reply to another thread or did you just begin this out of thin air? I'm fascinated you are telling your secrets public.

My only question about your method is how long do you wait before you start tweaking one of your guitars? I know my guitars and many others change for a while after they are strung up. I allow them to go through those changes for several days if not weeks before I finally decide I have done good. I can't imagine changing a guitar with fine tuning until it has really settled.

That said I don't mess with them after I make them, except that one time I whittled on the bridge patch of one that was too stiff. I had an AHAH! moment where I could see you can change them by carving here or there, but my reaction was to not make such a big bridge path in the first place.

You should take whatever I say with grain of salt.

Cheers old boy,

S

Yes, it is a take off from another list of recent posts. And I'm sharing my techniques to raise the level of the art to where all builders in general can have the same information to try and build the best they can.

I was once asked by a well known luthier whom you all know, why spend years accumulating this information and just give it away. My answer to him was that he and some of our other peers showed me nothing about building technique and that it was mine to give away if I chose to.

And I wait about several days to two weeks before I start the fine tuning process. I usually play the guitar in, first.

And this is with the understanding that once it is finely tuned, that age will cause it to grow in favor with its voicing, done before hand. And the bridge strap communicated for you to build it thinner so this is what you do.

This is the same with fine tuning. I build to the closest tolerances I can and finish off the tuning from there. And usually, the more I work with a specific design, the less I have to fine tune it. But I always have to tweak the voice to some extent.

Sometimes I have actually taken up to two months to tune a guitar. But this is not the norm, usually it takes about a week.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 3:59:42

KMMI77

Hi Tom Blackshear,

This is interesting stuff. I also enjoyed reading your more extensive "tuning a guitar top" Page on your website. It is amazing how very small changes can completely change the feel and sound of a guitar. Taking into account timbers, guitar shape, bracing styles, frets, action height and timber thicknesses, I imagine it would be hard to know when a guitar has truly reached its potential.

I bet there are a lot of guitars around that may just require a tiny adjustment to take them to another level. I find it interesting to think about.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 10:16:52

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to KMMI77

quote:

I imagine it would be hard to know when a guitar has truly reached its potential.

You are right, it takes a certain amount of intuitive skill to know when to stop the process and allow age to finish out the voice.

The age factor is vitally important for the guitar and no amount of fine tuning is going to finish its voice.

It takes age to grow an instrument into a great guitar.

So, a player can have a good guitar off the bench where everything is in its place but age is necessary to mature its voice.

The last guitar I built was one that defies imagination and I think it would be hard to replicate that every time I build but then I learned some more information toward possibly being able to do it again...we'll see...

The point is to build a specific design to get familiar with its potential instead of switching to other types and styles. I've settled into the Miguel Rodriguez style and a modification of the Reyes style, and these two styles give me what I find most desirable for my own building taste.

But most any design can be tweaked to become a great guitar, and this is the hope for all builders, as an applied art.

I use to think that top graduation was enough to finalize it but I started fooling around with fan brace tuning in the 80's and found an added avenue toward improving the guitar's tone.

30 or 40 years ago, most American classical guitar makers didn't use this technique, perhaps because they weren't aware of it, but many arch top and steel strung acoustic builders seemed to know that they could apply this technique to manage a better sound and articulation.

I believe this is what the old masters in Spain were doing, to some extent, as they used different intuitive techniques to accomplish it.

All I'm doing is taking ideas from already existing sources and fitting them into my own techniques to finish off what I believe to be a necessary trend for the art.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 13:25:41

estebanana

You also have to start with a good guitar. One can't just fine tune a junker into a good instrument. That goes for violin and guitar family instruments. I've only messed around with the bridge patch on my guitars. There is also a point of diminishing returns.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 20:24:50

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: estebanana

You also have to start with a good guitar. One can't just fine tune a junker into a good instrument. That goes for violin and guitar family instruments. I've only messed around with the bridge patch on my guitars. There is also a point of diminishing returns.

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

An excellent player friend of mine just recently sent me a 1200 dollar guitar from his country to see if I could fine tune it to be a better guitar for a friend of his, as a present of appreciation.

It was in pretty sad shape, as a cut away and with additional frets covering the sound hole, which I had a difficult time getting my hand inside the guitar. I'll never do that again.

I don't normally do this but he was having a hard time with the sound, so I took the guitar with the understanding that there would be a definite risk involved, but he insisted, without holding me liable for it.

I had the guitar for about a week and worked a few hours with it.

This is not a JOKE! Carlos told me that the guitar now has a $10,000 sound. But I have to admit it wouldn't sell for that due to its uncommonly sad cosmetic condition.

Actually, the guitar was reminiscent of an old Santos when it was finished. This is exciting but I wouldn't want to make a habit of doing these things.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 21:15:00

Sean

quote:

los to your credit you're not one of those wackos that tries to tune the top before it goes on the gutiar...
So I think you are actually right about something.

You mean those guys who vibrate a sheet of spruce on top of a speaker, are more then a little misguided? Not only do you have to vibrate and pixie dust it before it goes on the guitar, but before it's even braced; I know this for a fact because its all over youtube

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 21:53:55

keith

Mr. Blackshear: I am puzzled here. In a thread at Acguitar a poster posted a query about validating your method with factory guitars and such and your response was not quite what you mentioned in your post here. So, to follow your statements, which is it? Can your methods be validated by taking a less than steller guitar and making it more steller? If so, then great and sally forth. If not, then maybe the post estebanana made holds validity.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 22:10:01

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to keith

quote:

ORIGINAL: keith

Mr. Blackshear: I am puzzled here. In a thread at Acguitar a poster posted a query about validating your method with factory guitars and such and your response was not quite what you mentioned in your post here. So, to follow your statements, which is it? Can your methods be validated by taking a less than steller guitar and making it more steller? If so, then great and sally forth. If not, then maybe the post estebanana made holds validity.

This is not to argue with professional knowledge but to say that I'm finding out things, as I go, with guitar building. Fine tuning certain designs is more complementary for me if I understand the design, which was the case with the 1200 dollar guitar.

And if I implied it couldn't be done on a cheap guitar, then I now have to admit that it can, but with the reservation that certain aspects of the guitar's top have to be in line with certain rules of fine tuning.

In other words, the greater the distance between cheap builds and quality designs, the greater difficulty there would be to make it work.

But for an example: If a guitar company would follow a specific quality design for a less expensive guitar price, then the fine-tuning technique could be of great value at a more affordable price.

I think this is a certainty but not many builders are interested in learning this technique as a vocational endeavor. At least, not right at the moment.

I have taught this to a few builders and they see the benefit but the majority of builders already have their own techniques that they feel comfortable with.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 24 2012 22:34:52

TANúñez

quote:

Carlos told me that the guitar now has a $10,000 sound

How exactly does one put a price on sound???

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 0:41:37

Jim Kirby

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

quote:

That seems like a little bit of a contentious question. If you go to a dealer like GSI, you are presented with a whole range of prices from $2,000 to $10,000 +. Hopefully there is an objective path to deciding which of those are worth $10,000, besides the maker's name?

I'm not trying to be contentious myself, I'm just trying to understand what you really meant.
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 0:49:18

TANúñez

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to Jim Kirby

quote:

That seems like a little bit of a contentious question. If you go to a dealer like GSI, you are presented with a whole range of prices from $2,000 to $10,000 +. Hopefully there is an objective path to deciding which of those are worth $10,000, besides the maker's name?

I'm not trying to be contentious myself, I'm just trying to understand what you really meant.

Not my nature to be contentious. I'm truly curious? I think the answer may just be a personal preference. For example, I've played and heard guitars that were $8000.00 but I've never really compared the sound to the guitars price because I've played guitars that are $3000 that sounded the same. So I personally could say that the guitar sounded like both a $3000 and $8000 guitar. Does that make any sense?

So, what does a $10,000 guitar sound like? Does it really sound that much different than a $6000 guitar? Can you hear the $13,000 difference when playing a Reyes to a $10,000 guitar?

Tom Núñez
www.instagram.com/tanunezguitars
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 2:48:44

KMMI77

quote:

I had the guitar for about a week and worked a few hours with it.

This is not a JOKE! Carlos told me that the guitar now has a $10,000 sound. But I have to admit it wouldn't sell for that due to its uncommonly sad cosmetic condition.

To be honest I'm not surprised by this. I think it's great that you are experimenting in this area. I believe it is pretty closed minded to believe that a guitar that turns out not so great for whatever reason cannot be made to sound better.

A while back I had a guitar and the second string did not sing as well as the others. It was a cheap guitar. After checking that the string was seated properly in the nut, I decided to experiment and see if i could fix it. My method was to play the strings with the right hand and lightly place my left hand finger on the soundboard, feeling for where exactly the top was resonating strongest when i was playing the string. I then detentioned the other strings while leaving the offending string at tension. I sanded a little off of two of the braces while checking the sound by playing the string after each sand. After removing just a little material the string suddenly opened up. It was a great improvement and I'm glad i did it!

Guys like you who have really studied construction and have built many guitars should be able to work wonders.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 3:32:50

Tom Blackshear

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to TANúñez

quote:

ORIGINAL: TANúñez

quote:

Carlos was being expressive in his statement and this was his way of a compliment since he has played practically every major old master guitar in his world travels.

I have to say that this player knows tone, and compared to many players who know the music, he has a very keen ear for guitar tone.

So, Carlos could have said 30 or 50,000 dollar sound but he chose a median price to make his point.

I took it as a compliment from a Spanish speaking person who gets excited with things about the guitar; especially how it sounds.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 3:34:32

Tom Blackshear

quote:

I decided to experiment and see if i could fix it. My method was to play the strings with the right hand and lightly place my left hand finger on the soundboard, feeling for where exactly the top was resonating strongest when i was playing the string. I then detention-ed the other strings while leaving the offending string at tension. I sanded a little off of two of the braces while checking the sound by playing the string after each sand. After removing just a little material the string suddenly opened up

Thanks for sharing this technique. However, it would be best to find out which brace/s effect/s which string, as there could be a misguided effect from one string that could throw another string off by trying to adjust one string sound. But you followed a sensitive path to correct your sound, and that deserves to be applauded. It also gives me some ideas about your technique. I'll try and find some time to experiment with it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 3:44:26

KMMI77

quote:

Thanks for sharing this technique. However, it would be best to find out which brace/s effect/s which string, as there could be a misguided effect from one string that could throw another string off by trying to adjust one string sound.

Yes, I did think it was going to be risky. Being a guitar player and not a guitar builder I was taking a bit of a chance. I did attempt to find the correct brace using my feeling and noting the way the top was vibrating technique. Luckily things worked out. It would have been annoying if another string developed a problem

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 5:50:15

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

quote:

Thanks for sharing this technique. However, it would be best to find out which brace/s effect/s which string, as there could be a misguided effect from one string that could throw another string off by trying to adjust one string sound.

Yes, I did think it was going to be risky. Being a guitar player and not a guitar builder I was taking a bit of a chance. I did attempt to find the correct brace using my feeling and noting the way the top was vibrating technique. Luckily things worked out. It would have been annoying if another string developed a problem

It's surprising to many people that such microscopic adjustments can change things in the top. If you have a 7 fan brace top you can basically rely on the outside treble brace to effect the 1 string, with each brace next to it to effect the 2nd and 3rd string. The middle brace and the bass brace next to it to effect the 4th string and the 6th brace to effect the 5th string and the 7th brace to effect the 6th string.

If you want to deepen the 6th string sound then sand a little off the top of the 7th brace and sand it slightly thinner toward the sound hole. Use a flat stick close to the length of the brace, with number 400 grit, making just a slight sand and then check the sound. If you go too far then the sound might become muddy. The idea is to keep the 7th brace at its bottom about the same height but taper it slightly thinner toward the sound hole, along its entire length.

Keep in mind that sometimes, more sanding is not better. The idea is to get all the strings operating in harmony, with as little effort as possible.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 10:12:55

Blair Russell

Tom, how do you sand the braces when the strings are tuned to concert pitch? Is it just a stick with sandpaper on it?
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 11:13:05

KMMI77

quote:

I you want to deepen the 6th string sound then sand a little off the top of the 7th brace and sand it slightly thinner toward the sound hole. Use a flat stick close to the length of the brace, with number 400 grit, making just a slight sand and then check the sound. If you go too far then the sound might become muddy. The idea is to keep the 7th brace at its bottom about the same height but taper it slightly thinner toward the sound hole, along its entire length.

Thanks for sharing this information.

When you mention in your earlier post about playing partial chords, Do you leave three strings tuned up to tension at a time when working on a guitar, Leaving just enough room for you hand?

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 12:13:27

Tom Blackshear

quote:

ORIGINAL: KMMI77

quote:

I you want to deepen the 6th string sound then sand a little off the top of the 7th brace and sand it slightly thinner toward the sound hole. Use a flat stick close to the length of the brace, with number 400 grit, making just a slight sand and then check the sound. If you go too far then the sound might become muddy. The idea is to keep the 7th brace at its bottom about the same height but taper it slightly thinner toward the sound hole, along its entire length.

Thanks for sharing this information.

When you mention in your earlier post about playing partial chords, Do you leave three strings tuned up to tension at a time when working on a guitar, Leaving just enough room for you hand?

To You and Blair, I always keep the strings at concert pitch and use a little stick, just long enough to be the width of the fingerboard at the 12th fret with a couple of cuts in the ends of it to separate the strings at the 12th fret; the 3 trebles on one side and the bass' on the other side. This allows me enough space to divide the strings and get my hand through the sound-hole. I keep all of the strings at concert pitch while I'm fine tuning.

Also, I use 3M self-stick sandpaper on a flat stick about 3/4" wide and about 5" long to do the top of the braces. Keep in mind that this technique does not completely flatten the top of the braces if the design is close to the mark, already.

Note: there may be other ways to work through the sound-hole but this is my technique.

Also, this is just for the 6th string.

I have all the strings information if you care for it.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 15:25:29

estebanana

I have made wedge shaped sections of wood and hard foam blocks and foam taped sandpaper to them to do all kinds of sanding operations to the braces. it can range form prepping for a repair, to working brace down to change the guitar.

However I still take exception to the idea that you can tune a lackluster factory guitar into a world class guitar, and most reputable luthiers would back that up. It's just not that simple as sanding braces.

That said if someone wants to start a business "fine tuning" junkers they should go and do that. Serious luthiers will continue to build serious guitars that don't require a lot of internal tweeking to make the guitar speak.

The other thing to keep in mind as this information is disseminated across the internet is that brace tuning is not a panacea, the top, braces bridge plantilla etc. of flamenco guitars as a system need to be conceived of as a complete system. To say it is closed mined to continue to practice building guitars without using these brace tuning ideas is ridiculous. There are many ways to achieve the voice in the guitar and most of it takes place at each stage of the construction as the guitar maker gauges flexibility, density and other qualities in the wood and design that really create the sound of the guitar. To simply second guess a good guitar maker because you think you can sand the braces into a world class guitar is not reality. You must have a foundation to build on and the foundation is gained through years of experience building.

If you want to sand braces you should, but bear in mind even as Tom Blackshear fine tunes his guitars he understands the designs he makes and how he builds. This may or may not work on the guitar of others and in many cases, my guitars certainly, if you changed the braces or other factors you would likely ruin the guitar.

So continue on, but let it be said this is not the only answer. Many great guitars have been ruined by crackpot amateurs thinking they can improve something they fundamentally do not understand. That is one of the ways guitar repair people get work, fixing amateur modifications. I see examples of this kind of mutilation in one form or another at least twice a month.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 20:43:35

KMMI77

You make some really good points Stephen, In my case i was in the situation of having a cheap guitar that was unenjoyable to play. My options were to throw it away or have a shot at making it better. As the guitar was already no good, I felt it was fine to have a go at it. But like you say, It would be silly for someone unqualified to mess around with an expensive luthier made instrument.

quote:

I have all the strings information if you care for it.

Tom, I would personally find your information regarding this very interesting!

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 21:18:09

Tom Blackshear

quote:

To say it is closed mined to continue to practice building guitars without using these brace tuning ideas is ridiculous.

Stephan, I never said this nor do I feel that I should re-tune another builder's guitar to try and make it better. I have done this a couple of times but I don't like the idea of altering another builder's work.

But if a builder decides to use this technique in co-operation with his own building practice, then I feel comfortable with that.

I respect you as a builder of fine instruments, and to imply that I would try to improve on any of your work is totally not true.

For example: If a Manuel Reyes had a little gliche that I knew could be adjusted in a positive direction, I still would not touch it. To me, that would be sacrilegious.

All I'm doing here is sharing my techniques for those who are interested in building guitars with this fine-tuning method. This is not the only method but this method works, and as far as I can see it gives me an edge to voicing my guitars.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 22:40:39

Tom Blackshear

quote:

Tom, I would personally find your information regarding this very interesting!

I will be happy to discuss this issue with you.

The amount of information could be separated out depending on what you actually need to know, without me getting into a lengthy dissertation on this forum.

However, this thread is not limited but by my time to be able to write the information, which would be better if it focuses on certain aspects that you want to know concerning fine-tuning.

In other words, ask and I shall try and answer your questions with what I know about top function/fine-tuning.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 25 2012 22:59:13

estebanana

Tom,

I was not putting you down, just pointing out that your way is good for you, but just making sure people don't get confused and think brace tuning is a magical catch all for less than satisfactory guitars.

And I agree many overbuilt factory guitars can improve if you basically loosen them up, but it gets super tricky when you are dealing with high grade guitars. And to a great extent subjective, what may sound good to one person may not sound good to another.

I do agree with you that you need to take it to a certain point and then let the guitar mature on it's own. But too much manipulation and the guitar could become weak once it finally breaks in. This one reason why it is tricky; you can make spruce guitars sound lush and smooth right away, but later when they open up it might not be a strong guitar any longer. As you have stated, unless you are versed at building a certain model you might have trouble knowing where the boundaries are.

Just throwing out these basic well known guitar maker caveats to give contrast in thought to the conversation. Most guitar makers build strong so the guitar can open up later and bloom into what the guitar maker wants. There are several solutions to getting the last few details of voice worked out before it leaves the shop.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2012 1:07:20

Jeff Highland

Not so much fine tuning , more major retuning....
A few years ago I built my first classical guitar, using the Bogdanovich bracing pattern. it sounded OK but not great, kinda restricted and tight.
12 months ago, having learned modal tuning principles, I brought the top resonance down from 208Hz to 190Hz through some pretty drastic brace shaving and the addition of side masses.
Made a huge positive difference to the sound
  REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2012 2:05:53

estebanana

RE: fine tuning a top (in reply to Jeff Highland

quote:

I brought the top resonance down from 208Hz to 190Hz through some pretty drastic brace shaving and the addition of side masses.
Made a huge positive difference to the sound

Exactly, only the idea is to do that first before you glue the back on and not have to stick your arm in the soundhole and figet with braces.

I looked at Bogdanovich's book and his bracing and it looked really static and stiff in the wrong places to me. Does not surprise me that it was tight.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2012 2:17:38

Tom Blackshear

quote:

This one reason why it is tricky; you can make spruce guitars sound lush and smooth right away, but later when they open up it might not be a strong guitar any longer

I think this comes with experience as you develop intuitive skill and gain knowledge about your craft.

I had to hot rod a classical guitar to do a Naxos recording in 2 weeks after it was built. The tension hardened up in about a year to where it was too stiff for the original player. He sold it to one of his students and he loved it, thank goodness.

The basic tradition with my 53 years in the practice is that I've stumbled on and forgotten so many different techniques that if I don't share this method of building, I'm afraid that it will be lost in antiquity, never to be found again.

And I feel this would be a great loss to the guitar building community.

So, I'm also not into correcting or arguing points with you about how to build a great guitar but to say that this is my method and I'd like to share it with you.

REPORT THIS POST AS INAPPROPRIATE |  Date Oct. 26 2012 3:31:04
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
All Forums >>Discussions >>Lutherie >> Page: [1] 2 3 4 5    >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote